Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It was fun seeing a bunch of OG L8's come out of retirement to blast their way to 16. It was a god drat warzone last night.

Ultra's are good for shield cracking but that's about it.

Shield cracking and loving with folks. "I'm going to attack this portal, but gently caress JUST THIS ONE GUY i'm only gonna break his poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Exit Strategy posted:

Shield cracking and loving with folks. "I'm going to attack this portal, but gently caress JUST THIS ONE GUY i'm only gonna break his poo poo."

Oh my God I hadn't thought of that and now that's all I'm going to do. :aaaaa:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So, what are the AP amounts needed for the new levels?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Qu Appelle posted:

New levels require AP and medals.

Please note that the badges for tenure and events do not count.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Qu Appelle posted:

There you go, these should be accurate.

It's worth noting that UltraStrikes have a bonus to taking down shields if you're standing on a portal, so that's their primary use now.

edit: Well, that's about as awkward as your data connection failing during a battle for a portal. :argh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Its also worth noting that the Agent tab in game itself has been updated to show new requirements.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm just glad I have an excuse to actually go for walks in the park again and not feel like I'm taking newbie AP away.

Well, I guess I still would be, but as long as I have levels to get I need the AP more.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, whore all the AP. New levels come with high XM caps.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Nice update. I'm on the doorstep of 11, with 8 million AP. The game feels fresh again, for a few fleeting moments!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Don't worry, we'll get bored with it soon enough.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Ok, thanks all.

At least the Recharger medals are easy for me to get; I recharge portals as a matter of course. Almost at silver.

And I'd already have the silver Seer medal if Niantic approved portals that I submitted, that are legitimate and are allowed under the rules :colbert: Until the new batch get processed, I'm stalled out at 46.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Also - what's the process for appealing rejected portals? I just got two bounced back that definitely meet the criteria, e.g. small, independent businesses, just today.

Let's Go Espresso! of Gold Bar, WA deserves to be a portal.

Edit: Nvm, I found it. You go to the G+ Ingress Portal Appeals Page.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 9, 2014

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's also worth mentioning that when you level up you get a "field kit" containing a stack of items relevant to your level. I went straight to L9 when the new levels came out and got 20 L8 Bursters, 20 L8 Resonators and a stack of mods.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

cheese-cube posted:

It's also worth mentioning that when you level up you get a "field kit" containing a stack of items relevant to your level. I went straight to L9 when the new levels came out and got 20 L8 Bursters, 20 L8 Resonators and a stack of mods.

Also, you got the item kit for every level you crossed.

So if you went from 8 to 11 when the new levels came out then you got 3x the items all at once.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I got to do the satellite even in Beijing this past weekend. You got a sense of accomplishment when there is a clear cut mission that isn't something impossible like "make the whole world blue/green". Was crazy seeing level 8 portals go up and be broken down in a matter of seconds, only to be rebuilt again.

I would love to see a global level "volatile portal" type thing implemented that would randomly select portals every few days and award points based on who holds them longest.

Do you get a badge for attending an event?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aero737 posted:

Do you get a badge for attending an event?

The recursion events had attendee badges, I don't know about the current one. The way to get a badge added to your profile though is that they have single-use codes on cards, and you enter that as a passcode. Niantic usually sends a packet of code cards out to team leaders the satellite areas.

If nobody gave you one a card with a number on it at the event, then you're out of luck at this point most likely.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
When you use a power cube, a circle of energy spins and converges on you. If you tap yourself just as the animation finishes you get a huge bonus to the amount of energy to receive.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

When you use a power cube, a circle of energy spins and converges on you. If you tap yourself just as the animation finishes you get a huge bonus to the amount of energy to receive.

This...is quite useful! Thank you!

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
are they ever planning on resetting portals? in my town this one guy ones the entire area and its impossible to take it by myself. do portals reset when the player stops playing or after a certain ammout of inactivity? also is there a way to relink portals? I didnt notice that you should probably try to make triangles.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

zooted heh posted:

are they ever planning on resetting portals? in my town this one guy ones the entire area and its impossible to take it by myself. do portals reset when the player stops playing or after a certain ammout of inactivity? also is there a way to relink portals? I didnt notice that you should probably try to make triangles.

Yes, the portals decay, until eventually they turn white, and they're uncaptured again. He might be charging them remotely, if he has the keys for them.

There's a guy who always makes a point of capturing my couch portal, and make it high level. I don't even bother taking it back, I just milk it for supplies until it's gone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zooted heh posted:

Portals' health declines either when they're attacked, and otherwise they lose ~10% health per day. They can also be recharged by anyone on the owning faction if they are near it or have a key to it. If they don't get recharged, then they'll decay and become neutral unless you or someone else on your faction attacks them sooner.

By relink, do you mean tear down a link because you blocked yourself? You can't destroy a link you created unless you use a flip item on a portal on either end of the link to reverse its faction ownership. Jarvis turns things green, Ada turns things blue.

If you don't have the appropriate flip item or don't want to use it (these really should be saved for very strategic things due to their rarity) then you just have to wait for it to decay or someone to blow it up.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

chemosh6969 posted:

Doesn't work. Once you try to do anything with the energy, it drops down to the cube's stated max energy output. This is a known bug and has been for a while.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

I enjoy this game but the town I work in is a beach city and all the portals are on one side of the only main street we have and its hard to make fields with your links. not to mention some of the portals are in gated communities where I cant get my car through. whoever made these stupid portals inside million dollar estates is a total jerk who doesnt even play the game anymore.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Exit Strategy posted:

Doesn't work. Once you try to do anything with the energy, it drops down to the cube's stated max energy output. This is a known bug and has been for a while.

It's almost as awesome as the cube bug that sometimes gives you 0 XM while burning your cube!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

zooted heh posted:

I enjoy this game but the town I work in is a beach city and all the portals are on one side of the only main street we have and its hard to make fields with your links. not to mention some of the portals are in gated communities where I cant get my car through. whoever made these stupid portals inside million dollar estates is a total jerk who doesnt even play the game anymore.

You could probably get them submitted as invalid portals.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There is a portal here that breaks the rules of being publicly accessible, but the process to get to it is great enough that I don't think anyone will report it. The portal is at the Clydesdale stalls at the Anheuser-Bush brewery, and the only way to legally get to it unless you're an employee is to take a brewery tour which is free and rewards you with beer and pretzels at the end.

carticket fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 13, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

FistEnergy posted:

It's almost as awesome as the cube bug that sometimes gives you 0 XM while burning your cube!

I like it when I'm in the process of installing a mod and then I lose connection. Then it's a crapshoot if the mod is gone forever or not.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

another quick question. there are two portals that ate lvl 7 near me and when I hack it I never get items from it. are their mods that stop ppl from farming portals or is there something else im missing?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

zooted heh posted:

another quick question. there are two portals that ate lvl 7 near me and when I hack it I never get items from it. are their mods that stop ppl from farming portals or is there something else im missing?

You won't always get items from enemy portals, but you should usually
Does your reception suck in the area or are you hacking it while driving past it at >35?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

Im sitting in the parking lot trying to hack it. its been three days since ive gotten a item from the portal.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

zooted heh posted:

Im sitting in the parking lot trying to hack it. its been three days since ive gotten a item from the portal.

I think you're just unlucky. At least you'll be getting the 100AP for hacking an enemy portal though :)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Is Ingress even sort of playable on EDGE/2G speeds? This is on T-Mobile, but also possibly Rogers in Canada.

(I want to play on Point Roberts, WA, which gets service from both US and CAN service providers.)

My US service is on T-Mobile, which has Unlimited International Data Roaming. However, I have no idea what speeds those are at. The clerk told me it was EDGE, but they may be incorrect.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 13, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ingress is playable on EDGE without much issue.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah Ingress doesn't exactly require much in the way of bandwidth as they use compression for a lot of the traffic (Of which there is very little). Of course latency would be noticeable however that is pretty much fixed regardless of which mobile standard you're on.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Yes. YES. Point Roberts, WA is MINE! Hack ALL the portals!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

Ok, thanks all.

At least the Recharger medals are easy for me to get; I recharge portals as a matter of course. Almost at silver.

And I'd already have the silver Seer medal if Niantic approved portals that I submitted, that are legitimate and are allowed under the rules :colbert: Until the new batch get processed, I'm stalled out at 46.
The submission queue is backlogged because a few hundred people who got banned for using Broot Mod banded together to poo poo up the game and pledged to submit 100 invalid portals a day per person. Niantic had to put together a whole team of people to go through the backlog of 750,000 bullshit submissions.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

The submission queue is backlogged because a few hundred people who got banned for using Broot Mod banded together to poo poo up the game and pledged to submit 100 invalid portals a day per person. Niantic had to put together a whole team of people to go through the backlog of 750,000 bullshit submissions.

I can live with that. As they say, patience is a virtue. I'm still submitting them as I find them!

And I can't even imagine the time it takes to do that, unless they automate the process. Even if they submit the exact same thing over and over, it'd still take a chunk of time every day.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GWBBQ posted:

But how many actually followed through? People on the internet pledge to do all sorts of stuff but the second it takes actually getting up and doing things is a different matter. If someone actually did submit 100 bad portals in a day, a normal company would just not review that person's submissions anymore.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I thought the submissions were backlogged to 2020 even before the broot butthurt led to them claiming to file bogus portal requests.

I just yesterday got a rejection mail regarding a portal submission I filed in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It takes a year or two for a portal to be approved. I am sure there is an in-game reason for this. I blame the shapers!

• Locked thread