Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

The truck lady's name was released and judging from her Facebook she looks like the kind of person who would attempt murder. The neck tattoo of her own name isn't doing her any favors.
I'm thinking "Shannon" is the chinless wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Half of these are inexplicable and the rest are "Why were you going so fast retard?"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Question:

What program do you guys use for creating youtube videos? Never done it before.

I have a ton of raw footage of my car from last weeks roadtrip to Vegas and will be taking tons more this weekend.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chinatown posted:

Question:

I have a ton of raw footage of my car from last weeks roadtrip to Vegas and will be taking tons more this weekend.

Windows Movie Maker works in a pinch for simple stuff.

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

Question:

Yeah, Windows Movie Maker is pretty good, and then lately I've been using Pinnacle Studio 17.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

^^^ What they said.

It handles trimming clips, merging clips, removing/adding audio, etc just fine. It's free, though the XP version is long gone.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I use Avidemux cause my dashcam uses an odd combination of codecs and containers and this lets me transcode the audio and change the container at the same time as I trim/combine clips.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If WinMovieMaker craps itself (it usually does, irreparably) an old version Sony Vegas is the cheapest you can get for replacement, $40 for the most basic, $50 for a more advanced capable one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MrLonghair posted:

If WinMovieMaker craps itself (it usually does, irreparably) an old version Sony Vegas is the cheapest you can get for replacement, $40 for the most basic, $50 for a more advanced capable one.

WMM will fall over and die if you try to import .mov files (though the error message doesn't explain why). Running them though a convertor (e.g. Handbrake) seems to solve the problem.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Finally converted my dash videos from my storm chase on Tuesday. Storm stalled out across the river so it ended up being a night chase, but I got some good lightning shots out of it. The rest of the video is still processing but I think the stills turned out nice. It's a HZZ dash cam from Amazon.

Edit;

Here is a video from that night. Sped up for most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azv7KQRByOA

Fushin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 17, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrLonghair posted:

I have Vegas, mainly because I wanted a basic editor cheap, and it's easy to use and does what I want.

Oh, and my Mini 0801 is doing the "not always recording" thing, generally being ok if I reformat the card. Try a different card, yes? It's the one that was supplied with it.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I was recently a road-rage victim, and I want to get cams for my car (front and rear) so that next time I have video evidence of the dangerous driving, numberplate, swearing and weapon. What's the easiest way to do this?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If your car has a rear 12v socket, a normal dashcam either end is probably the easiest to do.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

InitialDave posted:

If your car has a rear 12v socket, a normal dashcam either end is probably the easiest to do.

It doesn't have a rear 12v socket, it only has one at the front. (2002 renault clio)

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I just put a usb hub under the passenger seat and fed a lead off it to the front and rear cameras. Its easy to mostly hide the usb leads apart from a couple of inches in lots of cars without any tools or disassembly.

This video shows the basic idea,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwD8Ilk-MHU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crankit posted:

It doesn't have a rear 12v socket, it only has one at the front. (2002 renault clio)
Well, I'd consider a twin-camera system, though I remain of the opinion that two single cameras is a better KISS implementation. I would just run a second power supply jumped off the feed to the standard lighter socket, and use this to give a hidden socket under the dash and a second in the rear.

It's pretty easy to run wiring around a Clio behind the trim.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Do you guys have any strong opinions about the RoadHawk (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXB186Y/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23AD5LOJUVSEP)?

I saw it on a Jalopnik deals post; there's a promotion on Amazon that bumps it down from $299 to $199 when you add it to your cart and go to check out. Or, is one of the cheaper dash cams out there a better option?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MetaJew posted:

Do you guys have any strong opinions about the RoadHawk (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXB186Y/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23AD5LOJUVSEP)?

I saw it on a Jalopnik deals post; there's a promotion on Amazon that bumps it down from $299 to $199 when you add it to your cart and go to check out. Or, is one of the cheaper dash cams out there a better option?

That thing sounds pretty awesome to me. You may want to try something like the g1w first though. You may find you're perfectly happy with basic functionality and not really care about the fancier options.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Hell, if you got a 33% discount and were okay with spending $200 on a dashcam, I think you will appreciate its features regardless. If not, I'm sure you could probably disable the ones you don't like.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

trouser chili posted:

That thing sounds pretty awesome to me. You may want to try something like the g1w first though. You may find you're perfectly happy with basic functionality and not really care about the fancier options.

I'm thinking i'd like to try something a little more basic first and see how I like it. Assuming they're not just garbage.

What version or trim or whatever of teh G1W is recommended? The OP says there are multiple versions.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 24, 2019

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
After my G1W randomly stopped recording at different moments, I bought a G1W-H that was fine for one day, and then it lost the ability to detect when the power cable was removed. It would always think it was on external power, even when I turned the car off, and thus would run down its battery every time, unless I manually shut it down... I am done with crappy no name brand cameras. I picked up a Garmin Dash Cam 20 last night at bestbuy, its 250, but at least if it gives me crap, I can return it.

So far the Dash Cam 20 is good, its very sturdy and easy to use, however the recording quality is actually a little worse than the G1W, the 1080p quality is a little more blurry, a little more artifacty, license plates are a little harder to read. I read the bitrate is somewhere around 9kb/s instead of 12-15 thats found on the G1W and G1W-H. The suction cup is sturdy but the attachment is quite long, so its not as easy getting the camera close to the windshield and hiding it behind a mirror.

Stupidest item is the usb mini charge port is on the right of the device and the included cable has an L-shaped connector, and it faces you, not the windshield, so obviously when they designed it, they thought people would be using it plugged in directly into the lighter below it, not pulling the cable through the car. It gets worse, the cable isn't proprietary, but its not a regular USB mini cable. If you plug in any normal USB mini cable, the camera prompts you upon startup if you want to go into mass storage mode. You need to press a button to say no, then it goes into regular recording mode. So running a 2 dollar cable from monoprice thats 15 feet long to connect to the camera will cause me to have to click that button each time I start the car. (It seems the camera IS recording while it gives me the prompt, the red light is on and after I dismiss the prompt, you can see the video has been recording already, but the prompt doesn't go away automatically, so if I want the screen to shut down and not disturb me, I need to press a button)

To get rid of this, Garmin offers their own 5 meter (apprx 15 foot) cable, for 25 dollars on their website.

I can't believe its this difficult to get a good problem free dashcam. I looked into the mobius as was suggested here, and I did not want to mess with its configuration and such. If only someone would make a custom firmware for the garmin that increases the bitrate to 12 or 15 like the G1W and removes the stupid mass storage prompt when using a non-garmin usb cable.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Extra posted:

Blender is a free option that I've found is really robust and does a fantastic job. Requires a little bit of learning curve (so does any NLE) but all the basics are one youtube/google search away.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that and haven't had any issues after 2 months. Obviously as Axim posted, it's possible to get lovely examples since Quality Assurance on a $50 dashcam is not going to be spectacular.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, I need to grab a backup camera. We just picked up a 37 foot Class A motorhome and the original CRT backup camera is smoked.

Any suggestions for a brand for a 2 channel (front/back) 7" DVR camera system? I'd like DVR capability in case of accident. Really backup is the primary use for this. Needs to have a nice wide angle lens so I can see the whole scene. Oh, and we need hella cable length, _or_ standard, non-proprietary cables so I can wire in extensions.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

subx posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that and haven't had any issues after 2 months. Obviously as Axim posted, it's possible to get lovely examples since Quality Assurance on a $50 dashcam is not going to be spectacular.

I like my G1W as well. I had an issue with the first one but returned it and the second one I received has been working well.

I would recommend that you only buy one that is "fulfilled by Amazon" though. Then if you have problems you simply fill out a form on amazon.com, print the shipping label they provide for you, and return it to get your refund almost immediately. If you buy directly from the vendor then it will most likely ship from China and that is where you'll have to pay for shipping to return it if you have any problems.

To find G1Ws shipped by Amazon check the "prime eligible" box in your search results and make sure it says "fulfilled by Amazon" on the product description page, typically it will be right under the price and In-Stock notification.

G1Ws fulfilled by Amazon. You'll pay up to $10 more, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 22, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Axim posted:

I can't believe its this difficult to get a good problem free dashcam. I looked into the mobius as was suggested here, and I did not want to mess with its configuration and such. If only someone would make a custom firmware for the garmin that increases the bitrate to 12 or 15 like the G1W and removes the stupid mass storage prompt when using a non-garmin usb cable.

You don't need to mess around with the config file: there is a dead-simple GUI to use with it:

In fact, I would say that this is easier to use than trying to set up any camera using the limited buttons and screen that they have.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
In addition I've been very happy with my Panorama II. No weird SD card errors, random shutting off, etc. It was stuck in a Korean time until a firmware update though. Not sure how it compares to the Mobius and I bought it through eBay. I think there may be Amazon resellers now though.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The mobius won't run off the usb socket in my car - I've got a usb power checker and the volts/amps look fine, and other usb devices (like the mini 0801) work ok. It will run off the 12v socket with a usb convertor, so I'm guessing the usb socket must be slightly dirty power that the mobius doesn't like.

The mini 0801 seems to occasionally refuse to cycle files and I need to format to get it working again. Flashing to a different firmware hasn't helped, so going to try a couple of different micro SD cards.

It will be nice when these go properly mainstream and more reliable like a proper consumer device.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Axim posted:

Stupidest item is the usb mini charge port is on the right of the device and the included cable has an L-shaped connector, and it faces you, not the windshield, so obviously when they designed it, they thought people would be using it plugged in directly into the lighter below it, not pulling the cable through the car. It gets worse, the cable isn't proprietary, but its not a regular USB mini cable. If you plug in any normal USB mini cable, the camera prompts you upon startup if you want to go into mass storage mode. You need to press a button to say no, then it goes into regular recording mode. So running a 2 dollar cable from monoprice thats 15 feet long to connect to the camera will cause me to have to click that button each time I start the car. (It seems the camera IS recording while it gives me the prompt, the red light is on and after I dismiss the prompt, you can see the video has been recording already, but the prompt doesn't go away automatically, so if I want the screen to shut down and not disturb me, I need to press a button)

To get rid of this, Garmin offers their own 5 meter (apprx 15 foot) cable, for 25 dollars on their website.

This is dumb bullshit. My Garmin GPS does the same thing, and it is especially annoying in my car which places the 12v socket on a 45 degree angle behind the shifter, FACING the front of the car. So all the massive 12V adapters for GPS/dash cams are protruding right into fore-arm territory.

I solved the problem by installing a twin 12V socket in the glove box. Cut the wires, spliced into the standard 12V harness and now I have a small light in there and can run my DVR/GPS without obstructing my arm from shifting easily.

There is guides online how to convert a standard USB cable to a USB power-only cable, but no one should have to do that - Garmin should just be not-dicks and make poo poo ignore the data signal unless its actually, you know, transmitting or receiving loving data.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Axim posted:

Easy way to fix that is to cut the USB cable at some point and solder the power wires red to red and black to black, then solder all the data wires (usually green and white) into a single connection. I'm guessing you have a 12v > USB adapter designed for apple devices but your garmin expects a USB charging spec compliant outlet. (I just pulled my 12v adapter apart and bridged the data pins with solder.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Axim posted:

I bought a G1W-H that was fine for one day, and then it lost the ability to detect when the power cable was removed. It would always think it was on external power, even when I turned the car off, and thus would run down its battery every time, unless I manually shut it down

My original G1W randomly started doing that. It was completely random and unpredictable, but a pain in the rear end when it happened (the buttons also didn't respond when it went into its "gently caress external power" moodiness).

The only issue I've had with its replacement is it seems to gain a few minutes every month on the clock.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I finally fixed my problems by returning the Garmin and getting myself a new Vicovation Marcus 3. Apparently the Marcus series is brand new, Vicovation seems to have some really good products and the Marcus 3 supports 1290p or something, but I love its 1080p 60fps mode.

Spytec in NYC has it, so I picked it up locally, but they ship anywhere in the US and seem pretty awesome with tech support and such.

http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=21&lang=en

The Marcus line seems to have replaced the older TF2 line of cameras from them.

Here is the link on their store:

http://www.spytecinc.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=vicovation

If you don't care about the 1290p or 1080p 60 fps modes, then get a marcus 1, which otherwise seems identical. The Marcus 1 is about 180 and the Marcus 3 is 260.

edit: Here is the technomoan review on the Marcus 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruqfy2dC6RQ

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Still from a storm chase earlier. Really love this dash cam, all I need to do is clean up the image a bit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got a job as a delivery driver recently, and would like to start recording my shifts. Most of the time I'm in a car provided by my employer, but sometimes I'm in my own car. So it needs to be something I can just set up in the car and remove at the end of the shift. It would also be cool if it had some kind of functionality with GPS where it would show me a map of where I had been that day, but that's not required.

Any suggestions?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

TheJoker138 posted:

I got a job as a delivery driver recently, and would like to start recording my shifts. Most of the time I'm in a car provided by my employer, but sometimes I'm in my own car. So it needs to be something I can just set up in the car and remove at the end of the shift. It would also be cool if it had some kind of functionality with GPS where it would show me a map of where I had been that day, but that's not required.

Any suggestions?

I think for the GPS part you would be better off getting a phone app of some sort. A camera with that functionality is going to be way more expensive and I don't actually know of any that record where you been on a map (some will show location in the video feed, but that's about it).

For the camera, if you are going to be moving it around a lot, you probably want a vent mount or something, as the suction mounts seem to wear out quickly if you attach/unattach them a lot. As for the camera itself, I would think about something with good nightvision since I assume you are going to be delivering at night time often.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

subx posted:

I think for the GPS part you would be better off getting a phone app of some sort. A camera with that functionality is going to be way more expensive and I don't actually know of any that record where you been on a map (some will show location in the video feed, but that's about it).

For the camera, if you are going to be moving it around a lot, you probably want a vent mount or something, as the suction mounts seem to wear out quickly if you attach/unattach them a lot. As for the camera itself, I would think about something with good nightvision since I assume you are going to be delivering at night time often.

Yeah, night vision is probably a plus. I'll look into the phone app thing for the GPS. Any suggestions for specific cameras and mounts?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, night vision is probably a plus. I'll look into the phone app thing for the GPS. Any suggestions for specific cameras and mounts?

At the the risk of being the resident Mobius pimp....the mount is pretty good.

You can use a suction cup to hold the cradle in the right place and the camera simply slips in and out of the cradle when you need to remove it. You don't have to realign it every time and it even comes with a little lens cap to protect it in your pocket.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

spog posted:

At the the risk of being the resident Mobius pimp....the mount is pretty good.

You can use a suction cup to hold the cradle in the right place and the camera simply slips in and out of the cradle when you need to remove it. You don't have to realign it every time and it even comes with a little lens cap to protect it in your pocket.

Do you have a link to this? I know literally nothing about dash cams.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you have a link to this? I know literally nothing about dash cams.

grab a packet of popcorn and watch this guy:

http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

and it even comes with a little lens cap to protect it in your pocket.

The first day I received my Mobius I managed to lose the lens cap. I've managed to keep the lens safe from damage so far, but I'd certainly like to find a replacement that doesn't come from China.