Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wheeee posted:

Is there any solid rumor or info on when the next Miata will be revealed?

Mazdas at Mazdaspeed Speedway Laguna Seca. Bunch of rumors about it being available January 2015 as a 2016 model a la the Mazda6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

opengl128 posted:

Snipped it off and crimped on a fresh waterproof ring terminal, coated in dielectric grease. Drove for an hour or so with no issues, but it was fine longer than that before, so I'm not convinced it was the ground yet. Did manage to get a video of a new sound, wondering if it may be related. Its a hollow/quack/chirpy noise, coming from the crank pulley area. I'm wondering if I've got a timing/timing belt issue. Apologies for the orientation of the video. The noise is only apparent during the first portion of it. And to be clear, its not misfiring or misbehaving in any way during the video other than the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsBYfTWPZt0

I bet that's the water pump. Is it weeping a bit?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

meltie posted:

I bet that's the water pump. Is it weeping a bit?

Actually yes, I do have a minor coolant leak of undetermined origin.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Since my Ford Fusion has a weird shaped trunk (the edges are not thin metal) I had to use the Miata for bike hauling duty. It worked out better than I expected!

The woman I purchased the car from had named it "Speck." It's a pretty good name, but my wife hates it. It reminds me of Spec Miata racing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Actually yes, I do have a minor coolant leak of undetermined origin.

How many miles are on it? Water pump sounds like a good guess, check for a leak from behind the crank pulley.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

leica posted:

How many miles are on it? Water pump sounds like a good guess, check for a leak from behind the crank pulley.

148K and no idea if the timing belt was last changed, if ever. It looked pretty good when I had the valve cover off though. I'll do it and the WP at some point soon.

mars
Apr 5, 2005
I have a 2005 MSM and about a week ago my driver's side window regulator broke. The only thing that broke was the plastic roller on the top that the cable rolls over. Unfortunately I can't find that part by itself, so it looks like a new regulator is what I need. They seem to be about $150.

Here's the weird part, everywhere I look i see these:

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-670036-G-Hyundai-Replacement-Regulator/dp/compatibility-chart/B002N2MWYA
http://www.carid.com/2005-mazda-miata-electrical-parts/tyc-window-regulator-10805033.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Windo...d02cbf9&vxp=mtr

So basically lots of places on the internet suggest that a Tiburon window regulator fits a 2005 Miata. The picture they use doesn't look like it would, but it's probably just a stock picture. Anyone know if this is actually the case? I'd much rather spend ~$50 than ~$150. I suppose I could just buy the Amazon Prime one and return it if it doesn't fit, but it would be nice to hear one way or another if anyone knows.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Ive actually had a 3.9 LSD from a 6 speed NB sitting around for a while but im not sure at all about its condition. Can they be refurbished or rebuilt by any random shop? Nobody ive asked on the internet seems to know much of anything about them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, gently caress the PO for never cleaning the drain holes. Looks like my floorboard water issues are being caused by totally plugged drains. Miata.net suggests using a trombone cleaner so I have one on the way but this week I had water leak down into the passenger side. I've got pulling the interior sorted out but since I have to now pull the entire carpet I'm just going to replace it instead of trying to salvage it again. I'm seeing full carpets for $130, seems reasonable?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Rhyno, please take some pics if you replace the carpet yourself- I wore some holes in the carpet below the pedals from driving without the mats in, so I'll be doing the same eventually.
$130 seems reasonable to me, but I haven't priced them before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GOD IS BED posted:

Rhyno, please take some pics if you replace the carpet yourself- I wore some holes in the carpet below the pedals from driving without the mats in, so I'll be doing the same eventually.
$130 seems reasonable to me, but I haven't priced them before.

Will do, I only took three or four pics when I pulled the driver's side.

Edit: The messed up seat belt retractor was working quite well after a week of 80+ temps. Now that there's been water in the car again it's being wonky so I'm thinking the leak is running right over the winder. The belt was slightly damp which supports this theory. This week is super busy and I can't really work on the car because my garage door opener is broken and I need to be able to get the car out so they can work on that. So right now I think it's just going to have to wait until the door is fixed. I'm also thinking that the top is actually not leaking, it's just these clogged drains causing the in cabin water so I might be able to push the new top off until next summer.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 15, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So, gently caress the PO for never cleaning the drain holes. Looks like my floorboard water issues are being caused by totally plugged drains. Miata.net suggests using a trombone cleaner so I have one on the way but this week I had water leak down into the passenger side. I've got pulling the interior sorted out but since I have to now pull the entire carpet I'm just going to replace it instead of trying to salvage it again. I'm seeing full carpets for $130, seems reasonable?

That sucks. I bought my trombone cleaner this week and cleaned it out, seemed to be clear but those drains are real small.

Ordered my Nautilus Air Horn today, 139db!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

That sucks. I bought my trombone cleaner this week and cleaned it out, seemed to be clear but those drains are real small.

Ordered my Nautilus Air Horn today, 139db!

Water on the floor seems to be clogged drains 99% of the time so let's hope this will do it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Water on the floor seems to be clogged drains 99% of the time so let's hope this will do it.

Be ready to cut the carpet if you're still planning on replacing it. Even in NAs the carpet was put down first, before the console and before the dash -- both of which would need to be removed if you want to remove/replace the carpet in one piece.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Be ready to cut the carpet if you're still planning on replacing it. Even in NAs the carpet was put down first, before the console and before the dash -- both of which would need to be removed if you want to remove/replace the carpet in one piece.

Oh I already did. When I got water on the driver's side I had to make two cuts to get it out. It went back in really nicely though. I wish I'd known about the drain hole problem sooner, probably would've saved me the headaches.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dude why didn't you clear out the drains after the first time it happened?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Dude why didn't you clear out the drains after the first time it happened?

I thought I had! I didn't realize how bad it was! The amount of gunk that came out and the fact that water flowed freely lead me to believe they were clear but no, there was so much poo poo in there they re-clogged.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm assuming it was parked outside? I'm curious how they tend to clog so fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

I'm assuming it was parked outside? I'm curious how they tend to clog so fast.

I had swapped cars with my father so I could use his Tahoe this week, that loving Beetle overheated so my girlfriend drove the Tahoe and I took the Miata. It then tsunamied and I got water in the car again, mostly on the passenger side this time. I pulled up the panel above the drain and stuck my fingers under it and there was grey sludgy mud everywhere. I'm going to pull all those panels off and thoroughly clean it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The trombone brush works well but I didn't see a lot of stuff come out. I'm hoping that just means it is clear rather than not really pushing stuff out. It took me a couple minutes to actually get it fed into the drain instead of just coiling up under the panel. The trick is to put your finger under the coil itself and push it down into the drain while also pushing it forward to the front of the car. The drains themselves are pretty short.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

The trombone brush works well but I didn't see a lot of stuff come out. I'm hoping that just means it is clear rather than not really pushing stuff out. It took me a couple minutes to actually get it fed into the drain instead of just coiling up under the panel. The trick is to put your finger under the coil itself and push it down into the drain while also pushing it forward to the front of the car. The drains themselves are pretty short.

I didn't have that tool or even know about it, I used a wire fish to clean it but I was worried I'd break the flaps at the bottom.

On the plus side of this, at least I know the top isn't really leaking now.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Do you have the newer drain lines per the technical service bulletin?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Harmburger posted:

Do you have the newer drain lines per the technical service bulletin?

To echo this; Rhyno, you should be able to check with Mazda USA to make sure your NC underwent the TSB service, if not get that done pronto!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guess I'll run it in on Monday. drat it, didn't even think to check something like that.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
10 days and not only do I want a LSD in the NA, but also more power. That didn't last long.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

10 days and not only do I want a LSD in the NA, but also more power. That didn't last long.

What your really want is an Exocet. Do it! And more power and an LSD.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe you should have got a Corvette or something?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

Normally aspirated Miatas are dogs. Well-boosted Miatas are sublime.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

And all Miata are awesome!

:glomp:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

To echo this; Rhyno, you should be able to check with Mazda USA to make sure your NC underwent the TSB service, if not get that done pronto!

The Mazda dealers here want ~$700 for that job :\

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Going to my first autocross this Sunday, bringing my 1.8 NA. Does anyone have any tips for me? I've got adjustable sways and have the car set up for neutral to a bit of oversteer on the street, will this hold up for autocross or should I be making changes? I don't care about being fast but I don't want to make a fool of myself and spin out all over.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
You'll be slow as poo poo no matter how your car is set up. Concentrate on looking ahead and staying as close to the cones as you can.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Have fun, go for as many ride alongs as you can manage, and get someone to hop in with you for a run and give you pointers. Biggest thing is keep your head up and look as far ahead as you can.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

:smuggo:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yes but did it cost $600, and am I supposed to gently caress off?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Is that an NC thing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Is that center outlet?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Yes but did it cost $600, and am I supposed to gently caress off?
~1k new, but it'll be about $600 after shipping+what I paid. Pit Crew Racing NA center exit.

fitted.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Is there a way to manually raise the pop up lights on a NA? I want to check one at the junkyard for the indicator socket I need, but it's impossible to get at if the lights are down (which they are).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

blk posted:

Is there a way to manually raise the pop up lights on a NA? I want to check one at the junkyard for the indicator socket I need, but it's impossible to get at if the lights are down (which they are).

You turn the little red knobby on the headlight motor.