Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
As much as I love Hyouka, it hurts me deep when the big reveal is a 3rd-grade level pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Basically with Ika Musume she has the vocal tic of ending her sentences with "de geso" which apparently means "squid tentacles", also whenever one of her sentences has an "ika" in it that'll be verbally emphasised.

The dub basically has her say "I'm squidding serious" and poo poo like that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That's amazing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, to be fair the "English" title as created by the author does actually mean the total opposite of what it's supposed to mean. But there's a difference between correcting grammar and changing noun choice. I mean if he says that in the fictional world he created, these particular monsters are called "titans" then he kinda has final say on that, even if it was a stupid choice. It's not really the role of the translator to correct mistakes in the story.

Them being called "titans" makes sense, since they're obviously inspired by the painting Saturn Devouring His Son.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I just loved that he skipped logical, known words for an old-english word that still has modern equivalents, and then wrote a masturbatory 'dialogue' on how the word fits with the orignal, real world mythology. It's like one of those monkey paw wishes in translation form.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Eotena thing was a joke by the editor (not the translator) and the huge wall of text he wrote about it was designed to irritate people.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So it was a joke after all? I stopped following that after a while, but I assumed it was a joke at first and people here insisted he was dead serious.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Didn't the same sub group put out a Girls und Panzer script in like half-German? I just kind of assumed they were trollsubbing.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Man, the length of that thing made me think it could only be the work of an awful human being. I guess there's a lot of trolling to be had from serious-about-fansub types. The GuP sub was excellent, though. :colbert:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
pretty sure commie is made up of a few dozen guys and some are competent some have brain problems and xythar will defend them all

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just checked and Commie kept that translation until the end. If it was a joke, you'd think they'd have given it up at some point.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
GG did their famous "authentic british" sub of Jojo, even when the story ended up in America. When everybody is subbing the show, who cares.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just checked and Commie kept that translation until the end. If it was a joke, you'd think they'd have given it up at some point.

I'm pretty sure it had an alternate track with a normal translation. And also if there's one thing that nerds love, it's running a joke so far into the ground it comes out the other side of the earth.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HellCopter posted:

GG did their famous "authentic british" sub of Jojo, even when the story ended up in America. When everybody is subbing the show, who cares.

“You loony limey!“ was a keeper. :allears:

In non-Sub/Dub related questions: Is Kyoani gonna do a summer show?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jojo's was hilariously british only in Part 1, the rest was pretty standard.

Phobophilia serenely skedaddles from the conversation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

“You loony limey!“ was a keeper. :allears:

In non-Sub/Dub related questions: Is Kyoani gonna do a summer show?

Season 2 of Free!

While it certainly will be a big step down from Ping Pong (but that's such a high bar that I can't hold it against anyone), I'm glad that at the very least I'm getting a steady stream of enjoyable sports anime each season. Hopefully season two will remember what made the original fun.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

Season 2 of Free!

While it certainly will be a big step down from Ping Pong (but that's such a high bar that I can't hold it against anyone), I'm glad that at the very least I'm getting a steady stream of enjoyable sports anime each season. Hopefully season two will remember what made the original fun.

I did only watch a single episode of swimming anime before deciding it wasn't my kind of thing, but I never got the impression it was a sports anime. It felt like another show about a club doing things and those things happened to be about swimming.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I did only watch a single episode of swimming anime before deciding it wasn't my kind of thing, but I never got the impression it was a sports anime. It felt like another show about a club doing things and those things happened to be about swimming.

It totally is, it just wasn't the shounen-y kind of sports show where they spend several episodes on something that would only take minutes in real life, and people will not talk about anything other than the activity in question.

(The main character, of course, was the exception regarding the latter :v:)

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Strange Quark posted:

Essentially, yes. The first five or so episodes were fun enough but the novelty wore off pretty fast. There's really not much to separate it from the dozens of shows like that following a bunch of middle/high school girls around other than the gender of the cast.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

HellCopter posted:

GG and Commie, as far as I'm aware, have a really close working relationship, with a lot of crossover between the groups. At least 90% of what either group does is done to piss off the hardcore weeb anime nerds, so I'm totally down with whatever they do. They also both work on Not Red Reviews too, if I recall.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It started off as a self-aware cheesy man-service show featuring swimming, but about half-way through it forgot what it was and started taking itself too seriously, decaying into cliche.

I too hope season 2 regains the charm of the first season's first half.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

jonjonaug posted:

Essentially, yes. The first five or so episodes were fun enough but the novelty wore off pretty fast. There's really not much to separate it from the dozens of shows like that following a bunch of middle/high school girls around other than the gender of the cast.

Aside from the excessively high quality animation for the type of show it is, of course.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The later episodes start making fun of the protagonist, who I genuinely wonder is autistic or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

GG and Commie, as far as I'm aware, have a really close working relationship, with a lot of crossover between the groups. At least 90% of what either group does is done to piss off the hardcore weeb anime nerds, so I'm totally down with whatever they do. They also both work on Not Red Reviews too, if I recall.

They both have members who either do or did post in this very forum too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

S-Alpha posted:

Coalgirls for example seems to be in some sort of pissing match with them with regards to Monogatari.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Phobophilia posted:

pretty sure commie is made up of a few dozen guys and some are competent some have brain problems and xythar will defend them all

Please. I had nothing to do with Eotens except being highly amused by it from the sidelines.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Eotenas is a fun word. And the reaction to it was funny, too.

Commie are good people.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I mostly like commie and gg's work, but eotenas is just silly.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-16/viz-licenses-original-sailor-moon-anime-franchise

Sailor Moon has been licensed finally. Also getting a brand new dub. They also announced that they got the new series as well. These past couple of years have been great for classic works like Utena, Rose of Versailles, and now this.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I really don't think that's gonna go over as well as they think it will. :cripes:

ninja-edit to clarify: Obviously the uncut version is a good thing, but given that nostalgia is 99% of why Sailor Moon is a thing again, I'm pretty sure the new dub and the new voice cast aren't gonna leave people very happy.

I realize I'm armchair CEOing here, but if they couldn't find the old voice actors or most of them weren't willing to come back, they should really just release the uncut versions sub-only and release the lovely old DiC dub as a special thing like Funimation did with the Rock the Dragon DBZ box set. It's a loving long series (and thus probably pretty drat expensive to redub) and the bulk of the people who care are gonna be the ones who get mad about it, it's like they're just asking to lose a shitload of money on this.

actual-edit: Also the way they're releasing it on streaming is batshit retarded

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 17, 2014

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

given that nostalgia is 99% of why Sailor Moon is a thing again

Is it worth watching without the nostalgia factor? I feel like I'm missing out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

ninja-edit to clarify: Obviously the uncut version is a good thing, but given that nostalgia is 99% of why Sailor Moon is a thing again, I'm pretty sure the new dub and the new voice cast aren't gonna leave people very happy.

I realize I'm armchair CEOing here, but if they couldn't find the old voice actors or most of them weren't willing to come back, they should really just release the uncut versions sub-only and release the lovely old DiC dub as a special thing like Funimation did with the Rock the Dragon DBZ box set. It's a loving long series (and thus probably pretty drat expensive to redub) and the bulk of the people who care are gonna be the ones who get mad about it, it's like they're just asking to lose a shitload of money on this.
You're being silly. Sure it's nice to have nostalgia for the old dub of Sailor Moon but I am not crying into my cornflakes that I won't hear Linda Ballantyne scream like Bullwinkle in drag ever again.

Losing Stephanie Beard for ChibiUsa is the only hang up I have for all this (Well two, losing whatshisface as Prof. Tomoe is an arse). If they get some of the Canadian cast back (Legends 2 Megaman for Makoto? Sure go nuts) then fantastic, drinks all around, if not and they get, pulling a name out of my butt, Cassandra Lee to do Usagi then whatever, not a big deal.

(I'd rather Laura Bailey with her Maka Voice but beggars can't be choosers)

To put a sub only box is throwing the baby out with the backwater.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Unless you're talking about how it's Hulu only and not on Netflix or CR then no, you're being really silly now and you should calm down.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The USA seems like the only country where people get mad if a show is released without a dub, and if it is, they complain about the dub. I just don't get it. :geno:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I really don't think that's gonna go over as well as they think it will. :cripes:

I don't know what's absolutely batshit retarded about the way they're releasing it. Want to clarify on that?

However, about the dub. There's an interview with two people from Viz on ANN as well, and if you read that, it clarifies on the dub. The old dub gets brought up and they stated they were not able to get it, it just wasn't possible. Secondly, the old dub would have require a good bit of effort on their part if they wanted to re-master that, because it didn't have Japanese masters.

Finally, I think the rumour why we didn't get SM for so long was because that old dub did a bit of a hatchet job to the show, and the original creator was very much not happy with how that turned out. Considering she's personally approving the new dub cast, I would not be surprised that this is the case and that the old dub is literally un-licensable because she won't allow a re-release of it. Don't blame Viz for this one. Some people may not be happy, but I think the majority of older fans, and a bunch of new are going to be all over it regardless.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

There are a bunch of us who are nostalgic over the original Japanese version, too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-16/viz-licenses-original-sailor-moon-anime-franchise

Sailor Moon has been licensed finally. Also getting a brand new dub. They also announced that they got the new series as well. These past couple of years have been great for classic works like Utena, Rose of Versailles, and now this.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Thank GOD!!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

uuuummm posted:

Is it worth watching without the nostalgia factor? I feel like I'm missing out.
As an adult? No. Unless you really like either the whole sentai thing or magical girls thing it's kind of boring with tons of MotW filler. There are some fun moments and the animators love wacky cartoon faces (something sorely lacking in current anime) but that really isn't enough if you don't already have some kind of attachment.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guyver posted:

As an adult? No. Unless you really like either the whole sentai thing or magical girls thing it's kind of boring with tons of MotW filler. There are some fun moments and the animators love wacky cartoon faces (something sorely lacking in current anime) but that really isn't enough if you don't already have some kind of attachment.

Counterpoint: while I wouldn't recommend that anyone watch all 200 episodes, there's a lot of legit great stuff here. I went through it a few months ago using this guide from a now defunct site, that thankfully was in the internet archive, and it makes some really good choices, and points out some episodes that aren't essential but are worth watching. Start with the guide and depending on how much you enjoy it watch more or less.

While this is something you can enjoy now, there is a remake coming this summer that regular people should be able to watch all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Instead, one of 'em will now be a guy. Somehow.

• Locked thread