Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also, about Nier and Drakengard. So.. Drakengard 2 and Nier can't have both happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I have been straying away from most spoilers about the game but I heard a rumor that Drakengard 3 actually manages to make both canon. Could be wrong though, but I wouldn't put it past ol' Yoko Taro, that crazy diamond.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

I have been straying away from most spoilers about the game but I heard a rumor that Drakengard 3 actually manages to make both canon. Could be wrong though, but I wouldn't put it past ol' Yoko Taro, that crazy diamond.

That'd be interesting because most of the problems in Nier are caused by people not being able to stop being dicks. Drakengard 2 leads to our real world history, so the people of Nier will get to find out what it REALLY means to be a tool. :patriot:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Anatharon posted:

Also, about Nier and Drakengard. So.. Drakengard 2 and Nier can't have both happened?

There's a link to the Grimoire Nier translation at the bottom of the op. It has pretty much all the answers to your question.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Kaine's awesome but man, some of the scenes with her towards the end are really out of place in the NA version.

I like her a lot but Nier being like twice as old as her makes some parts kinda weird.

e: Is Drakengard 3 intended to be a sequel to Nier or is Nier going to be a standalone game?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 13, 2014

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
All the people talking up this game's soundtrack weren't loving around, god drat.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Equilibrium posted:

All the people talking up this game's soundtrack weren't loving around, god drat.

Yeah, it's a pretty great soundtrack.
It's hard to choose a favourite in a soundtrack full of equally great songs, but The Wretched Automatons, has that weird electronic vibrato, and those rythmic mechanical noises that makes it contrast nicely with Emi Evans haunting voice.

Then God by By Rules, with the ritualistic bells, primal drum beats, urgent strings, and yet, again, her voice.

And of course, Song of the Ancients - Fate. :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I also really like Shadowlord's Castle Memory mainly because of how effectively it was used. Didn't expect the castle entrance to be a peaceful garden.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I'm a VGM snob and I consider Nier's music to be the best drat game soundtrack in forever. "The Wretched Automatons" is the stand-out track.

One of the remix albums has a beautiful 8-bit medley of the tracks. The "Ashes of Dreams" section is the best part. Those pseudo-8bit vocals are fantastic.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
I happen to like Blu~bird a lot, but everything else linked previous is great.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
No love for Hills of Radiant Winds or probably my absolute favorite track, Shadowlord?

Gods Bound by Rules is pretty awesome too.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Commander Keenan posted:

I'm a VGM snob and I consider Nier's music to be the best drat game soundtrack in forever. "The Wretched Automatons" is the stand-out track.

One of the remix albums has a beautiful 8-bit medley of the tracks. The "Ashes of Dreams" section is the best part. Those pseudo-8bit vocals are fantastic.

I love that whole mix album, it's the best Tekken OST ever. Song of the Ancients / Lost Androids Mixuxux

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
It seems like someone has hacked Replicant to have the English script.

quote:

If I had a CFW PS3 I'd check it out.

I don't think it's a translation. Gestalt and Replicant have different scripts though, slightly, reflecting the characters. It isn't 1:1. Maybe they're unaware of that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If only they could hack in Young Brother Nier some trousers.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Soundtrack chat: how is it that whenever this comes up everyone neglects the objectively best song The Lost Forest

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

Soundtrack chat: how is it that whenever this comes up everyone neglects the objectively best song The Lost Forest

Okay, you got me there.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man this game is cool and I've been playing it on and off for the last year getting the last weapon smith trophy to get the platinum. Maybe I'll finally get it this summer. Does anyone have any tips for getting it?

Also looking forward to Drakengard 3 next week. I can't wait.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

If only they could hack in Young Brother Nier some trousers.

He likes shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear.

Good that someone did that hack, but I still think I prefer Giant Dad as a protagonist.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Brother Nier does not have the booming voice of Jamieson Price emanating from his larynx and is therefore objectively inferior, end quote.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
If anybody's interested, it looks like somebody translated the short story The Stone Flower. It's about Halua and Emil, and about as happy as you'd expect.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Welp, I just played through NieR for the 6th time today. I wanted to show my girlfriend the game, since she's a videogame writer. Man, I still love this game so much, warts and all. :swoon:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Brackhar posted:

Welp, I just played through NieR for the 6th time today. I wanted to show my girlfriend the game, since she's a videogame writer. Man, I still love this game so much, warts and all. :swoon:

Congrats. This game was too beautiful for this world. :(

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I still pull out the soundtrack whenever I want to listen to sad music.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Keska posted:

I still pull out the soundtrack whenever I want to listen to sad music.

I pull it out just to work.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Here's a Critical Distance article outlining the general critical reception of Nier.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So, I had no idea the versions of the Nier songs in Drakengard 3 were remixes and not just replications. They're pretty good!

Song of the Ancients - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0TThTbxoM
Ashes of Dreams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VXzt-NX980
Emil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZQYjfsL0Y8

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Brackhar posted:

It's a super unusual game in a field where there aren't many super out there games.

It helps that they took an insane amount of care with the soundtrack for all of them. I really enjoyed the drakengard soundtrack as well, bizarre chopped up debussy and all. Drakengard 3 a little less so, but the DLC tracks made up for it. The ending D song was good too, and the interpretation of the boss fight was... fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Figured I'd post these here. Bought these last month!

• Locked thread