Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mokinokaro posted:

The earliest I can think of is In-N-Out Burger in the states that has done it with bible verses since their inception in the 1940s as they were founded by a religious Christian and the company is still in the control of his very religious descendants.

Haha, I didn't know about this. That does sound pretty genuine, kinda like Dr Bronner's labeling. The thing that really separates it from Chipotle/Vitamin Water in my view is that the former did it as part of their heritage/beliefs where the latter pretty much invented it entirely to promote an image (Dr Bronner's keeping it even as they gain some traction is certainly an image thing, but at least it comes from something in the company)

I was talking about the "stunted maturity" thing with my original comment, but it's actually pretty interesting to see the history behind decorating your packaging with long paragraphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Forever 21 has John 3:16 on the bottom of their bags.

As for Chipotle, one of the people whose quotes are being used is Jonathan Safran-Foer, who wrote a book about vegetarianism. Here's his response to why he let Chipotle use his quotes:

quote:

I mean, I wouldn't have done it if it was for another company like a McDonald's, but what interested me is 800,000 Americans of extremely diverse backgrounds having access to good writing. A lot of those people don't have access to libraries, or bookstores. Something felt very democratic and good about this.
:jerkbag:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Hahaha where in the world is there a Chipotle and not a book store

That's a beautiful quote

I have to assume it's tongue in cheek but still, lol

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

diarmuidqq posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6dr6vW3YXQ

I'm so mad about New Zealand's lovely internet. gently caress Telecoms "Giganaire" bullshit.

Those are the only two I got before I wanted to shoot myself in the face.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Y-Hat posted:

Forever 21 has John 3:16 on the bottom of their bags.

As for Chipotle, one of the people whose quotes are being used is Jonathan Safran-Foer, who wrote a book about vegetarianism. Here's his response to why he let Chipotle use his quotes:

:jerkbag:
But isn't (or at least wasn't) chipotle owned by by mcdonalds?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GutBomb posted:

But isn't (or at least wasn't) chipotle owned by by mcdonalds?

Not anymore, but McDonald's investments helped make Chipotle what it is now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

They actually sell those, with all the Miller Fortune branding and everything.

I'll be damned. That's.... actually kinda clever.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Going to Red Robin, seeing things spelled with an apostrophe-d, like "Garnish'd" and "Flavour'd" seriously grinds my gears for some reason.

Ah, the Strong Bad school of advertising, very 2004 chic

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

computer parts posted:

You should see Dr. Bronner:

It's like a hippie version of a chain email.

Thing is though, Dr. Bronner was being sincere about that, rather than it being a marketing ploy. It's not really the same thing. Dr. Bronner lost his parents in the Holocaust and it hosed him up and he really wanted to spread his (crazy) word. Apple and Vitaminwater just want me to think they're my best friend purely to get me to buy a thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm curious when Apple did that kind of ad? All I remember it being is computer spinning in white void -> dancing silhouettes -> justin long -> sappy sentimental poo poo.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

carry on then posted:

I'm curious when Apple did that kind of ad? All I remember it being is computer spinning in white void -> dancing silhouettes -> justin long -> sappy sentimental poo poo.

I'm more talking about their advertising on their website. Also, there was the "if you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone" era which had some of that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Going to Red Robin, seeing things spelled with an apostrophe-d, like "Garnish'd" and "Flavour'd" seriously grinds my gears for some reason.

Be thankful you don't have a Sheetz then, where everything on the menu either ends in Z or begins with Sh. In some cases both.

Example: shmagel=bagel breakfast sandwich
Shmeltz=pretzel bun breakfast sandwich (legit good)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Gonz posted:

I just saw a commercial for KFC Go Cups, which is a small plastic cup that has been stuffed with finger food like potato wedges and chicken strips.

The commercial itself features extreme athletes doing outrageous stunts whilst holding the Go Cup and snacking out of it. Some motherfucker is skydiving and eating chicken and another guy is doing backflips on a dirtbike while eating out of it.

All while ultra-scratchy & bass-y Skrillex style dubstep is playing over the footage.

KFC IS 2 XTREME 4 U, GENERAL PUBLIC, BOW DOWN TO THE GOD OF FAST FOOD AND CONFESS YOUR SINS

Would rather a commercial like that rather than the subway ones with athletes I've never heard of standing there for 1 second exclaiming "that's what I am talking about!" Subways horrible sandwiches are eclipsed by their horrible ads.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Subway commercials hearken back to a simpler time, where the celebrity endorsement was the work of the commercial, and production values were lower, because who needs high production values in a sandwich ad

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Be thankful you don't have a Sheetz then, where everything on the menu either ends in Z or begins with Sh. In some cases both.

No one should be thankful that don't have a Sheetz, they should lament that they don't have a Sheetz.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sash! posted:

No one should be thankful that don't have a Sheetz, they should lament that they don't have a Sheetz.

Realtalk, Sheets has terrible commercials and branding but their food is goddamn good.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Sheetz vs Wawa is a truly underrated Pennsylvania battle. Primanti's vs Pat's/Geno's is kinda apples and oranges.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish I had a Sheetz or Wawa, all I have is UDF and Speedway :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Sheetz vs Wawa is a truly underrated Pennsylvania battle. Primanti's vs Pat's/Geno's is kinda apples and oranges.

Primanti's vs Pat's/Geno's is not a battle worth having, because those are all Food Network hyped tourist traps that aren't worth going to.

I'd say Sheetz vs. Rutters is a better Pennsylvania battle.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

raditts posted:

Primanti's vs Pat's/Geno's is not a battle worth having, because those are all Food Network hyped tourist traps that aren't worth going to.

I'd say Sheetz vs. Rutters is a better Pennsylvania battle.

Primanti's is only a place to be after you've drunk your fill shitfaced at the bars and it is 2AM. Never heard of Pats or Genos

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Poise panty liner commercial what the gently caress?

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Honestly... I wanna see you be brave. :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Woodford Reserve Bourbon: "When I see a woman drinking bourbon, I know she can pick a horse..."

:confused:

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
And it feeeeeeeeels so good SO GOOD. SO GOOD. I'm making family-friendly car commercial music I'm soft as fuuuuuuuuuuuck. SO GOOD. SO GOOD.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

yourafagpleasedie posted:

And it feeeeeeeeels so good SO GOOD. SO GOOD. I'm making family-friendly car commercial music I'm soft as fuuuuuuuuuuuck. SO GOOD. SO GOOD.

Are you in New England? If so it's probably a Red Sox thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ShaqDiesel posted:

Woodford Reserve Bourbon: "When I see a woman drinking bourbon, I know she can pick a horse..."

:confused:
Is this sort of like those commercials where not-Angelina-Jolie drinks scotch, because a woman drinking colored liquor is some kind of magical unicorn apparently?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Honestly... I wanna see you be brave. :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful:

I don't care who sings this, I never want to hear this song again since the Vonage ads ruined the song from Kill Bill.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Hazo posted:

Is this sort of like those commercials where not-Angelina-Jolie drinks scotch, because a woman drinking colored liquor is some kind of magical unicorn apparently?

Sort of but its from a man's POV. It gets into great Detail about horses.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ShaqDiesel posted:

Sort of but its from a man's POV. It gets into great Detail about horses.

Ponies...?

Ewww

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Hazo posted:

Whoops

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fog Tripper posted:

Primanti's is only a place to be after you've drunk your fill shitfaced at the bars and it is 2AM. Never heard of Pats or Genos

They're a couple of gaudy cheesesteak stands across from each other in Philadelphia that are "competing" but not really because they feed off each other for the tourist attention and their cheesesteaks are both the worst I've ever had since I moved here. I hate them even more because they demand you use their retard-speak lingo when ordering from them after waiting in the absurdly long line.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

GutBomb posted:

Are you in New England? If so it's probably a Red Sox thing.

Yep it's even worse than he implies since it's not just a generic bland song, it's a generic bland song intentionally designed to make you think of Sweet Caroline and therefore associate it with the Red Sox. Real convenient way to get out of paying royalties

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pAMdn9oSPE

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish I had a Sheetz or Wawa, all I have is UDF and Speedway :(

We're nowhere near close enough to have a Sheetz/Wawa, but we have the utter glory that is QuikTrip (doubly so that they're rolling out sandwich and smoothie bars inside their locations now). They have delicious breakfast kolaches. Kolaches!

And to the point of this thread, the DirecTV "wires" ads are approaching a point of absolute and utter creepiness with me right now.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Troy Queef posted:

And to the point of this thread, the DirecTV "wires" ads are approaching a point of absolute and utter creepiness with me right now.

Look up the one of the husband and pinochioette in the bedroom. It was posted not too many pages back and it was really creepy in a doll-fucker vibe.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I saw the bedroom one on TV for the first time today. I was having lunch with a friend of mine in a sports bar and mid sentence she blurts out "what the gently caress is going on behind you." Turn around and...dancing marionette lady in lingerie.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sash! posted:

I saw the bedroom one on TV for the first time today. I was having lunch with a friend of mine in a sports bar and mid sentence she blurts out "what the gently caress is going on behind you." Turn around and...dancing marionette lady in lingerie.

I also saw it on TV for the first time today. Looks like the end times have truly begun

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sash! posted:

I saw the bedroom one on TV for the first time today.

I thought they had enough sense not to show this on TV; like it was an online-only spot or something.

Never underestimate the stupidity of admen...

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Esurance really needs to shut up about being able to give you a 7.5 minute car insurance quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Riptor posted:

Yep it's even worse than he implies since it's not just a generic bland song, it's a generic bland song intentionally designed to make you think of Sweet Caroline and therefore associate it with the Red Sox. Real convenient way to get out of paying royalties

I stand by my theory that this campaign was created by an alien whose ship happened to be hovering over Fenway Park during the "Sweet Caroline" ritual and decided, "OK, People in New England enjoy shouting 'So good' at things!"