Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

SRM posted:

Do you really want to play RE5 without co-op?

Single player is nowhere as bad as people make it to be and can actually be an enjoyable experience. The trick is to give your partner a good rifle and not let them carry more than one health item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SRM posted:

Do you really want to play RE5 without co-op?

Yes.

Also I just checked and Azubah is right, you can't save without GFWL, so that's :suicide:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but you can make an offline profile in GFWL. And hell, as I learned while trying to play Dead Rising 2 without internet one summer, if it doesn't connect when using an online profile it'll let you load up your saves anyway ... about a third of the time ... usually. I still have no idea what the hell made it decide whether to work or not.

Outside of that, RE5's PC port is fantastic though.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 16, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Capcom Sales Figures, including RE titles obviously
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

RE4 is surprisingly low. I keep forgetting that for all its revolutionary impact on gaming and beloved status, it has never been the top dog in terms of sales in the franchise.

Original RE1 being so high is interesting though. I thought for a second they were just adding up all the sales from all the crazy number of ports and whatnot but nope, just PS1 and only the original PS1 game at that. But seriously, if you add up every version of RE1's sales, I think it be #1.

That and REZero selling over a million copies (thus being a success, according to this) makes me feel vindicated in those two being the only RE games I care about anymore.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 16, 2014

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

NikkolasKing posted:

RE4 is surprisingly low. I keep forgetting that for all its revolutionary impact on gaming and beloved status, it has never been the top dog in terms of sales in the franchise.

Original RE1 being so high is interesting though. I thought for a second they were just adding up all the sales from all the crazy number of ports and whatnot but nope, just PS1 and only the original PS1 game at that. But seriously, if you add up every version of RE1's sales, I think it be #1.

That and REZero selling over a million copies (thus being a success, according to this) makes me feel vindicated in those two being the only RE games I care about anymore.

I'm more surprised at at the games REmake outsold, yet it was considered a failure while the others have seen re-releases or sequels.

But honestly, I dunno how anyone (Capcom included) could expect an RE title to sell millions of copies as an exclusive title on a system marketed to kids and families, when the other two systems on sale at the time were marketed towards the gamers in RE's age range, one of which (the PS2) had a market base 4 times as large as the GameCube and assumedly the player base built up from the previous games. What did people seriously think would happen?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm not surprised that RE4 sold low, everybody's already played it. While it is a drat fun game, once you've run through it a few times, there's not much more to offer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NikkolasKing posted:

Dude you had to be there, CG ZOMBIES, the backgrounds look like real life, creepy as hell for the time, it's got video game people that talk to each other just like a movie and it looks like a movie, it's gory as hell, that game had the biggest hype. Even if it didn't have tons of commercials and stuff the hype was on par with FFVII when it was coming out. RE2 was even bigger because it was RE1 but you actually got to go outside and there's lots of zombies at once holy shiiiit!!! RE2 actually approached FFVII's 500,000 copies over a few months launch. People were picking up RE2 the day it came out instead of seeing whatever major motion picture was out that weekend, it was nuts for a video game at that time. And while overall it was no Super Mario Bros. or whatever RE1 and 2 definitely blew up fast.

What hurt RE4's launch was that while people may have picked up a Gamecube for it after it was out (I mean look at it it's RE4), Capcom announced the PS2 port four months before it was released. I was working at a couple of different GameStops at the time and there was a very tangible immediate drop in pre-orders for the game across the company, not for lack of wanting the game, but because people would just get the version for the PS2 they already had the following year. This list seems to be going by sales of the first release of each game so it might be why it's such a low number. RE4 in general was a pretty strong game.

No one answered before, but if I want to double dip on Revelations (loved it on 3DS) is it better on Wii U or PS3? Does it look particularly better or worse on either system, is any the content/bonus stuff different?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 16, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im still shocked at how much of a Juggernaut that RE5 was. Even when you add up all the different versions of RE1, it still comes up short of what Resident Evil 5 sold.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Im still shocked at how much of a Juggernaut that RE5 was. Even when you add up all the different versions of RE1, it still comes up short of what Resident Evil 5 sold.

RE4 gave the series a lot of clout with pretty much every review site and player singing its praises. Before 4 the series had turned into "oh right, that one where dog popped out of the window in the hallway right? I remember that series!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah RE5's entire thing was RE4 but with even better graphics and even more zombies and full coop and this was coming off of RE4 which already had great graphics when it came out and lots of zombies. Plus unlike with prior RE games they actually did have a massive marketing campaign for it and it was very well received even if there is a vocal minority of fans (myself included) who disliked it overall.

I was actually more surprised with how quickly RE6, well, it didn't flop but I was surprised how fast people reacted negatively to it and didn't buy.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

NikkolasKing posted:

They split up the skus. RE5 includes ps3 and 360 and I think PC while RE4s are split up into 3-4 now with GC/PS2/Wii all being different spots on the list. Granted there was some poo poo between them with the PS2 one adding the Ada poo poo and the Wii one adding IR control but I think if you add them all together it's the highest selling Capcom game.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

NikkolasKing posted:

It's split up by platform though, while 5 and 6 include PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and download versions. PS2 RE4 is 18th with 2.3 million, but Wii RE4 is 22nd with 2 million and GC RE4 is 33rd with 1.6 million. Even if you discount the Wii version since it launched a few years later the combined PS2 and GameCube sales put it at 3.9 million, which would be 8th on their list. Still below RE2, 5 and 6 but above 1 and 3. With Wii sales included it's bumped up to 5.9 million, ranked 3rd and only behind RE5 in sales.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I can't say it doesn't deserve it. Almost a decade now and still going strong. You just know there's gonna be a 10th Anniversary thing.

I liken RE5's success to the success of Final Fantasy VIII. I believe it had some of the highest sales in the franchise and we all know it's due only to FFVII's success. Same for RE5 to RE4 - leeching off a better game if you will.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I can't say it doesn't deserve it. Almost a decade now and still going strong. You just know there's gonna be a 10th Anniversary thing.

I liken RE5's success to the success of Final Fantasy VIII. I believe it had some of the highest sales in the franchise and we all know it's due only to FFVII's success. Same for RE5 to RE4 - leeching off a better game if you will.

I really don't think that is it, considering RE6 sold almost just as well coming off of RE5. I just think it was a perfect storm of things, and RE5 wasn't even bad as a game and even then, FF8 still didn't sell as much as 7.

I just think in both cases, it was a perfect storm of things that combined to make them successful games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eh, I suppose you're right. I am a little too hard on RE5 just because of some obnoxious "serious business" RE fans I've had to put up with who praise how RE5 "returned to the story" while making GBS threads on RE4 for doing its own thing. That always irritated me back when I posted all the time on RE boards. I gotta get over my old biases.

My main interest in the series nowadays is the soundtracks. I'm trying to get all the OSTs I can. VGMDB is an awesome, awesome website and if you haven't been to it, I highly recommend it. It is a lifesaver for people like myself looking for official releases of video game music.

After the games I kinda want to get the movie OSTs too. Like the games, the films do tend to have awesome scores even if everything else blows. For example, Apocalyse's soundtrack. That scene with Nemesis vs STARS was the only part I liked when I saw it in theaters and I think it's all because of that music. And I already have Retribution's OST.

Speaking of the movies, did anybody post the stuff about the next one?
http://english.cntv.cn/2014/04/20/VIDE1397952963761818.shtml

Apparnetly it's gonna be called "Resident Evil Rising" (says Rising Resident Evil in the article but I think that's backards...I hope so anyway) and will have a prominent Chinese actress in it that I've never heard of.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 17, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparnetly it's gonna be called "Resident Evil Rising" (says Rising Resident Evil in the article but I think that's backards...I hope so anyway) and will have a prominent Chinese actress in it that I've never heard of.

She was in the latest one as Ada Wong.

E: I knew I recognized her name. She was in Tian xia wu zei with Andy Lau. That was a good movie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh she was Ada? She was pretty good. I really liked Leon and Barry too. Honestly, if I were to make a list of Pro and Cons of the movies, I'd put Acting in the Pros category by and large.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The only Resident Evil movie I saw was the 2nd one? Apocalypse I think. It was the one with Nemesis in it. I didn't want to watch any of the other ones after I saw that one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

blackguy32 posted:

The only Resident Evil movie I saw was the 2nd one? Apocalypse I think. It was the one with Nemesis in it. I didn't want to watch any of the other ones after I saw that one.

2 was pretty mediocre, if only because it felt like fanfiction for RE: Nemesis.

The other ones kind of ramp up the crazy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The way the SKUs are set up makes RE4 look worse than it is. If you collapse the RE4 versions and the RE1 versions, you get:

Resident Evil 5: 6.6M
Resident Evil: 6.43M
Resident Evil 4: 5.9M
Resident Evil 6: 5.8M
Resident Evil 2: 4.96M
Resident Evil 3: 3.5M
ORC: 2.3M
RE Outbreak: 1.4M
Umbrella Chronicles: 1.3M
Resident Evil 0: 1.25M
Code Veronica: 1.14M
Re Revelations: 1.1M

So 5's the biggest seller, followed by 1, 4, and 6 (places 2-3 are all within a million sales of first), with 41.62 million sales across the entire franchise.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

The way the SKUs are set up makes RE4 look worse than it is. If you collapse the RE4 versions and the RE1 versions, you get:

Resident Evil 5: 6.6M
Resident Evil: 6.43M
Resident Evil 4: 5.9M
Resident Evil 6: 5.8M
Resident Evil 2: 4.96M
Resident Evil 3: 3.5M
ORC: 2.3M
RE Outbreak: 1.4M
Umbrella Chronicles: 1.3M
Resident Evil 0: 1.25M
Code Veronica: 1.14M
Re Revelations: 1.1M

So 5's the biggest seller, followed by 1, 4, and 6 (places 2-3 are all within a million sales of first), with 41.62 million sales across the entire franchise.

You forgot to merge Code Veronica and Code Veronica X, which I think would put it somewhere around 2.5 million, but im not sure. (Actually, according to wikipedia, it is somewhere around 3.7 million.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Dude you had to be there, CG ZOMBIES, the backgrounds look like real life, creepy as hell for the time, it's got video game people that talk to each other just like a movie and it looks like a movie, it's gory as hell, that game had the biggest hype.

I won't lie: first time I ever saw Resident Evil 1, when it was brand new and I was just a stupid kid, it gave me nightmares for about a week. It may seem laughable now, but at the time Resident Evil was completely unlike any other game out there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Backhand posted:

I won't lie: first time I ever saw Resident Evil 1, when it was brand new and I was just a stupid kid, it gave me nightmares for about a week. It may seem laughable now, but at the time Resident Evil was completely unlike any other game out there.

I'll never forget the first time I played Resident Evil, because I didn't have a memory card, so if I died, that was it. My first taste of iron-man gaming.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I really don't think that is it, considering RE6 sold almost just as well coming off of RE5. I just think it was a perfect storm of things, and RE5 wasn't even bad as a game and even then, FF8 still didn't sell as much as 7.

I just think in both cases, it was a perfect storm of things that combined to make them successful games.

I'd totally agree with this. I didn't actually get around to playing RE 5 till like a month and a half ago. Bought it cheap on PC forever ago and i'd keep trying to get into it but would always kinda 'meeeeh' out by chapter 2 or so. Finally decided to plow through it because GFWL was dying and this game was gonna go with it and it's not really a bad game. Sure without someone to co-op the AI on Sheva is sloppy as gently caress but it has enough charm in places to be worth fighting it. Kinda feels like RE Zero that way after REmake. Nothing really done better than the previous game before it (except the melee system) and it takes a couple of steps back (nothing will ever soothe the burn of not having an attache case, but for co-op reasons I understand) but still worth playing through for what shines.

In that I can see why it sold so well.

- First RE on the then new consoles.
- Great visuals.
- Franchise prestige pretty high from the critic acclaim for the previous game.
- Online co-op touted hard when online ANYTHING is at peak marketing ability to draw people in.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It also had Chris Redfield and the return of Wesker. I think I heard Wesker and Chris were coming back and that was a pretty big reason that I bought it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

It also had Chris Redfield and the return of Wesker. I think I heard Wesker and Chris were coming back and that was a pretty big reason that I bought it.

Yeah, god knows I dig me some Wesker. I like Chris but there were some times where I dont know if it was the models or the camera angles but Chris had some severe 'little face, big head' syndrome. Further made hilarious because he's all jacked up and then later on does some pro-graps with a boulder.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Is there a document in RE4 that explains why there's Sumerian ruins in Spain?

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 17, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Where are you all going? Bingo?"

Oh RE4, I missed you too. :allears:

Is the RE5 multiplayer community still active this close to the shutdown of GFWL? I'm wondering if I should shoot through it after RE4, or just stick to my usual slow crawl approach with singleplayer. I just hate Sheva's AI.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So does Chris mention the Mansion incident to Jake at all during RE6? I just got through 5, and it's all that's left. Outside of CV:X, none of the other games have mentioned what happened at the Mansion.

So far it seems like if you want to do a "canon" playthrough as a newcomer, it'd be best to do RE1 Remake - Jill, RE 2 Claire A/Leon B, skip 3/CV:X/Zero, RE4, Rev, 5, 6.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rookersh posted:

So does Chris mention the Mansion incident to Jake at all during RE6? I just got through 5, and it's all that's left. Outside of CV:X, none of the other games have mentioned what happened at the Mansion.

So far it seems like if you want to do a "canon" playthrough as a newcomer, it'd be best to do RE1 Remake - Jill, RE 2 Claire A/Leon B, skip 3/CV:X/Zero, RE4, Rev, 5, 6.
No. All Chris mentions to Jake is the ending of RE5 over the volcano .

Mr. Redfield also fails to tell Jake about that time he punched a boulder as well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

No. All Chris mentions to Jake is the ending of RE5 over the volcano .

Mr. Redfield also fails to tell Jake about that time he punched a boulder as well.

Man, if I was Chris, I'd be loving opening with that. "Hey new guy, did I tell you about the time I loving beat the poo poo out of a boulder to save the world?"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's a shame that Sherry's regenerative abilities aren't reflected in gameplay. You could do a whole game around her, make it like Parasite Eve.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

Is there a document in RE4 that explains why there's Sumerian ruins in Spain?

Same reason Salazar's castle has a room full of lava.

Just Because.

Honestly, is the room full of lava even possible?

Rookersh posted:

Isn't the T-Veronica Virus back in some form in RE6? Or was that just Darkside Chronicles? I think it was one of those. Plus CVX is kinda the first revelatioN Albert is alive so you might be wondering why Chris is not surprised by the fact the man he saw get impaled is alive again.

Also interesting tidbit I just learned of - Zero and 4 were worked on in conjunction. In fact, the reason 0 seems so "cut off" from the other games is because it was supposed to lead into 4. If you read any of the files in 0, most of them are all about the Progenitor Virus which is what Leon was supposed to be infected with in 4.

Then that whole plot got scrapped and a new one made so Zero's story kinda leads nowhere.

(I still love it)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Just Because.

Isn't the T-Veronica Virus back in some form in RE6? Or was that just Darkside Chronicles? I think it was one of those. Plus CVX is kinda the first revelatioN Albert is alive so you might be wondering why Chris is not surprised by the fact the man he saw get impaled is alive again.

It's Darkside. Also 5 sets up Wesker coming back well enough with the flashback at Spencer Manor. Chris and Jill are surprised he's alive ( since Chris assumes he died at the end of CV:X ), and are hunting him down. If you never played CV:X, Chris and Jill are just surprised he's back due to RE1.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

....why would Chris assume he died in CVX? He literally ran away laughing as far as I can recall.

I'm all for ignoring Code Veronica though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Chris has seen Wesker die twice, and both times he thought Wesker was really-definitely-dead and he never loving was.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Its kind of silly to ignore released games from the timeline when there is no indication for doing so. They aren't even surprised to see Wesker there in Lost in Nightmares. The cutscene just shows him standing over the body. In Code Veronica X, Chris literally tells Wesker, "Next time."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

Just Because.

Not at all. A room full of acid or gas, maybe.

What was needed is a room that looks like a lava lamp.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 18, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

But what if you take a bunch of lava, let it cool, then put more lava in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Just Because.

Ah, I see.

The lava room is not even the most baffling room in Salazar's Castlevania. Nope, it's the gallery room with a loving GUN TURRET in it.