Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Well, you see, the Space Marines dress in cool robot armor...

People love badasses and villains. This isn't new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

I presume Tony is supposed to be acting like a psychopath in the scene. It's Gillen so I'd presume he threw in the "bored now" quote for a reason.

Yeah in the last issue while he was on the run they actually injured him pretty decently and then started hunting him like an animal before he brought in the literal Iron Man suit, so he's being a little more unhinged than usual and lashing out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

prefect posted:

People love badasses and villains. This isn't new.

They also don't really have much of a shades of grey morality going on, considering the other side is screaming hell-demons straight out of a 70's airbrushed van painting. At this point the setting's basically designed to fit fascist rhetoric perfectly, complete with a Great Other and an Enemy Within that can't be reasoned with and has to be destroyed at all costs.

The real solution is to not take it seriously at all and treat it as the over-the-top absurd mish-mash of sci-fi elements it is, but at some point Games Workshop started playing everything straight-faced and it became unbearable.

That is kind of a badass speech though in a scenery-chewing cartoon villain kind of way, just not at all a sympathetic or commendable one.

Edit: VVVV This is probably the better answer.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 16, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dolash posted:

They also don't really have much of a shades of grey morality going on, considering the other side is screaming hell-demons straight out of a 70's airbrushed van painting. At this point the setting's basically designed to fit fascist rhetoric perfectly, complete with a Great Other and an Enemy Within that can't be reasoned with and has to be destroyed at all costs.

The real solution is to not take it seriously at all and treat it as the over-the-top absurd mish-mash of sci-fi elements it is, but at some point Games Workshop started playing everything straight-faced and it became unbearable.

The setting didn't just magically and organically get that way. People decided to remove the shades of grey and make the fascism righteous and cool. And as stupid as the setting is, it takes itself extremely seriously compared to its roots.

The REAL real solution is to not engage with that terrible franchise.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

That is kind of a badass speech though in a scenery-chewing cartoon villain kind of way, just not at all a sympathetic or commendable one.

I think it's a pretty awesome speech, but only in a meta-sense in that it's more of a response to absurdly Utopian "harmony with nature" societies that pop up in things like Avatar and Dungeons & Dragons.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Waterhaul posted:

I presume Tony is supposed to be acting like a psychopath in the scene. It's Gillen so I'd presume he threw in the "bored now" quote for a reason.

You should read the last couple of issues because it's good stuff, but the short version is this:

The Mandarin's Rings are flying around and looking for people who hate or mildly dislike Tony Stark, then brainwashing them to really really hate him.
Malekith, King of the Dark Elves, gets his hands on a ring, but being a dark elf he isn't really impressed with a mind controlling magic ring and decides to collect the rest of the set by hunting down and killing the rest of the Mandarin Corps.
Dark Elves aren't the tall pale dudes from Lord of the Rings, they're the "kidnapping children" version of fairy-tale elves.
Tony tries to sneak into Svartalfheim in a carbon fiber stealth suit (because iron would set off all sorts of magical alarms).
The Stealth mission goes badly and Tony ends up with a hole burned through his shoulder, being chased through the woods by a bunch of sadistic elves who are making fun of his parents, and decides to call in his specially designed Elf-hunting armor which brings us to the current issue.

Tony's pissed off and injured, his original exit strategy is gone and he can't call Thor for help because "Asgardian Politics" or something so he's stuck there until he can find a way to magic himself home. To paraphrase Thor: God of Thunder, Dark Elves only respect people they fear. So if Tony doesn't want to get hunted down and murdered, he has to play the monster in this story.

Also elves are jerks in almost every setting and it's nice to see them taken down a peg or two.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Alacron posted:

I think it's a pretty awesome speech, but only in a meta-sense in that it's more of a response to absurdly Utopian "harmony with nature" societies that pop up in things like Avatar and Dungeons & Dragons.

That was pretty much the intention. Avatar was gorgeous, but I fell into the trap of thinking about it too much afterward. Another good treatment of the Fair Folk is in Terry Prattchett's Lords and Ladies, where elves are presented as a wholly alien Other. Shadowrun really cemented the opinion of "Elves are massive cockbags, really." in my mind. [/derail]

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Apparently it's from Warhammer 40k, so yes, pretty much.
Is it? I've been googling (not the na'avi specific stuff) and I cannot find a source. I'm seeing a lot of people attributing it to Avatar and to the...Aliens franchise - which doesn't make a lot of sense...

Creepy undertones or no, "Above your tomb, the stars will belong to us," is a pretty badass line. :colbert:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's not even from Avatar, just something some weird jerk made. None of the villains even believed in the planetary neural network or the Na'vi's ability to transfer thoughts to the trees.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 16, 2014

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
As far as Google's showing me, it's from some dude at TVTropes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

redstormpopcorn posted:

As far as Google's showing me, it's from some dude at TVTropes.

More proof that everything related to TVTropes is terrible.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah in the last issue while he was on the run they actually injured him pretty decently and then started hunting him like an animal before he brought in the literal Iron Man suit, so he's being a little more unhinged than usual and lashing out.

That and they brought up the whole changeling thing both making fun of Tony and reminding him they are a bunch of sadistic dicks that murder children to replace them with their own offspring.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Alacron posted:

Except the response he's given is "you may have soundly beaten us, but the only thing you'll get out of it is everything you ever wanted! Ha HA!". Which is funny in a "sour grapes make the best whine" kind of way, but it doesn't exactly have him come off looking good.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Dammit Who? posted:

Except the response he's given is "you may have soundly beaten us, but the only thing you'll get out of it is everything you ever wanted! Ha HA!". Which is funny in a "sour grapes make the best whine" kind of way, but it doesn't exactly have him come off looking good.

"The only thing you'll get out of it is everything you ever wanted... but you have no ambition and no dreams. We have ambition, we have dreams, and we have the universe. Because we tried harder."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Parahexavoctal posted:

"The only thing you'll get out of it is everything you ever wanted... but you have no ambition and no dreams. We have ambition, we have dreams, and we have the universe. Because we tried harder."

Ambition and dreams as defined by hella white people, yeah

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnonSpore posted:

Ambition and dreams as defined by hella white people, yeah

Better than noble-savage blue people.

(I haven't actually seen Avatar -- I'm just guessing. :shobon:)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

prefect posted:

Better than noble-savage blue people.

(I haven't actually seen Avatar -- I'm just guessing. :shobon:)

I thought the Na'vi were corny as poo poo, I just don't see how anyone can read the speech that was posted in this thread and not see how tremendously arrogant and close-minded it is, and actually read it as something unequivocally laudable instead of eyeroll-inducing.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Lars Blitzer posted:

Another good treatment of the Fair Folk is in Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies, where elves are presented as a wholly alien Other.[/derail]

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvelous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Parahexavoctal posted:

Again, this speech doesn't work if you've just gotten your poo poo kicked in by guys with sharp sticks and art deco riding dragons. It's pretty clear which side tried harder in that case. Also, in the context of the movie, the RDA were only out there because Earth's natural resources were severely depleted. You don't bother trying to do interstellar mining on an inhabited planet if you can possibly get what you want anywhere else; it's pretty clear there's no second try for humanity here. Like, imagine Ripley giving that same speech while holed up in a tiny escape pod while xenomorphs turn Earth into a huge hive colony.

In the interest of not getting probated, here is a :airquote:badass comic book panel:airquote: :

Godzilla: The Half-Century War #3

Dammit Who? fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 17, 2014

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I thought the Na'vi were corny as poo poo, I just don't see how anyone can read the speech that was posted in this thread and not see how tremendously arrogant and close-minded it is, and actually read it as something unequivocally laudable instead of eyeroll-inducing.

Look man, all I'm trying to say is, gently caress elves. Why can't you tolerate my intolerance against elves?

Guess someone here has some growing up to do. :smug:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

AnonSpore posted:

I had such an absolutely negative reaction to "Avatar" that my immediate reaction to that image was to nod sagely... and then realize what the gently caress I was doing a few seconds later. It's like discovering that you just agreed with David Frum about something.

Also, posting James Stokoe in this thread is cheating.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I always thought that sergeant dude was pretty badass in Avatar. His mech had a giant knife, gently caress your dragons.

For content, Star Wars - Infinities 1. The first attack on the Death Star has failed, Leis has been captured by the Empire and converted to the Dark Side. Luke, Han and Chewie all go to Dagobah and Han immediately sees through the ruse Yoda tries to pull. Flash forward five years, and Leia's firmly on the side of the Empire, Luke has completed his training, and Chewie and Han are still being hunted by Jabba's goons, and the Empire at large.

So they head back to Coruscant to save Leia, and Yoda ambles off to hijack the Death Star.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dammit Who? posted:

Again, this speech doesn't work if you've just gotten your poo poo kicked in by guys with sharp sticks and art deco riding dragons. It's pretty clear which side tried harder in that case. Also, in the context of the movie, the RDA were only out there because Earth's natural resources were severely depleted. You don't bother trying to do interstellar mining on an inhabited planet if you can possibly get what you want anywhere else; it's pretty clear there's no second try for humanity here. Like, imagine Ripley giving that same speech while holed up in a tiny escape pod while xenomorphs turn Earth into a huge hive colony.

In the interest of not getting probated, here is a :airquote:badass comic book panel:airquote: :

Godzilla: The Half-Century War #3

Well people aren't going to get probated but I think everyone has said what needs to be said with this derail. Some more posting images, some more Godzilla, some more Stokoe.

Here's a trimmed down sequence from Godzilla: The Half-Century War #4. Godzilla and MechaGodzilla are having a brawl when Space Godzilla tries to get involved.

There's a reason he's the King of the Monsters.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

So Yoda, king of the Light Side of the force, just killed everybody on a planet that is covered by a city. Probably a hundred billion people.

Not exactly a precise application of force.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

goatface posted:

So Yoda, king of the Light Side of the force, just killed everybody on a planet that is covered by a city. Probably a hundred billion people.

They were all stinkin' Imps. :v:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goatface posted:

900 years I have spent safeguarding the innocent. Entitled to one murder spree karma-free, I am.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

I like how everyone has the exact same expression on their face in the last panel. The only one left out is poor chewie!

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
He just realised he's surrounded by a bunch of sociopaths who are unmoved by the destruction of a city.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also in another lifetime Chewie had a moon dropped on him.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Phy posted:

Also in another lifetime Chewie had a moon dropped on him.

If anything this was Chewie's plan from a dream he had that a moon was dropped on him. Yoda felt it was so stupid it had to work just out of sheer absurdity.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

Well people aren't going to get probated but I think everyone has said what needs to be said with this derail. Some more posting images, some more Godzilla, some more Stokoe.

Here's a trimmed down sequence from Godzilla: The Half-Century War #4. Godzilla and MechaGodzilla are having a brawl when Space Godzilla tries to get involved.
There's a reason he's the King of the Monsters.

I'm not a huge Godzilla fan; but I've loved everything of Stokoe's Half Century War I've seen so far, but I think those pages are kind of lovely, to be honest. I don't really get the same kind of attention, detail, or energy from them and even the Screech aesthetic seems lame in these pages.

EDIT: That said, "I know he's our livelihood, but since when are we in the business of helping Godzilla!?" is a brilliant line.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

goatface posted:

Those contractors knew exactly what they were getting into.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wasn't there a series of Star Wars books that explored the idea of the Force being non-idealogical in nature? No Light or Dark side, just The Force. My personal knowledge of that comes for the Knights of the Old Republic games so I can't profess to know much about it.

I think that concept was eventually completely canceled out by later novels, but that concept comes to mind as to why Yoda would eventually feel himself justified to crash a Death Star and all that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Introducing moral ambiguity to Star Wars is such a misguided idea.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Lurdiak posted:

Introducing moral ambiguity to Star Wars is such a misguided idea.

It's not if it's done right. KOTOR 2 did it incredibly well, especially with Kreia. The game has its flaws sure but for the most part the story and the characters were incredibly well done. It also helps that Chris Avellone dislikes the Force and did something different with it for once.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Wasn't there a series of Star Wars books that explored the idea of the Force being non-idealogical in nature? No Light or Dark side, just The Force. My personal knowledge of that comes for the Knights of the Old Republic games so I can't profess to know much about it.

I think that concept was eventually completely canceled out by later novels, but that concept comes to mind as to why Yoda would eventually feel himself justified to crash a Death Star and all that.

Most of what Jacen Solo goes through after the Yuuzhan Vong War (25-29 years after the Battle of Yavin IV). He goes around learning different interpretations of the force from different force sects, most of which are fairly no-idealogical. The later Legacy of the Force books and Fate of the Jedi (both 40 ABY apparently) pretty much shut that down though.

Also, apparently Qui-Gon Jinn was fairly non-idealogical, which was a reason he wasn't on the Jedi Council. People tend to call people like that Grey Jedi?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wasn't Mace Windu's whole thing being able to use his anger without tapping into the dark side somehow? The force is pretty inconsistent it seems.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 18, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Qui-Gon stuff is definitely a retcon because Lucas' whole thing with the Force is that there is no "grey" version. Its either Light or Dark, with Light being the natural state and Dark being wrong.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Qui Gon and Jolee Bindo are both called Gray Jedi. Jolee talks about his viewpoints on that a lot in the first KOTOR.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thread derailed by a sudden outbreak of silly jedi names.