Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dear prepaid smartphone plans thread,

The OP was last updated nearly 2 years ago. Although that is ostensibly my fault, I have made efforts in the past to recruit someone to host a new OP (without success). The shame of its outdatedness is really starting to bug me. I am starting to find my finger hovering over the close thread button.

So once again: anyone willing to host a new OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geoj posted:

You can set up the autopay system to keep $X floating on the account month to month. I have my wife's T-Mobile account set up to perpetually have an extra $10 in reserve for going over her 100 minutes. She usually only uses an extra 30ish past 100 so when the bill is due I get charged $30 for the plan and whatever amount has been subtracted from the $10.

Oh, is that new? I'll have to check that out.

I used to put in $35 each month, but went through a period of not much use and ended up with a lot extra in the account. I dropped it to $30 and just deal with topping up manually right now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just switched to AIO wireless on my Moto X and got a weird error when my wife sent a group message (video at that). Something along the lines of "Couldn't download MMS. Touch to try again" and all regular messages in that thread repeated it. Weird thing is that I'm able to send and receive pictures over MMS. I opened Textra to see if it was a hangouts problem and it said that I didn't have my phone number set up and to go into settings to do so. Low and behold my number of Unknown in there with no way perceivable way to change it. How do I do this? 

Thanks! 

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

I just switched to AIO wireless on my Moto X and got a weird error when my wife sent a group message (video at that). Something along the lines of "Couldn't download MMS. Touch to try again" and all regular messages in that thread repeated it. Weird thing is that I'm able to send and receive pictures over MMS. I opened Textra to see if it was a hangouts problem and it said that I didn't have my phone number set up and to go into settings to do so. Low and behold my number of Unknown in there with no way perceivable way to change it. How do I do this?

Thanks!

You need to update your APN settings. I had the same problem, and following the instructions here fixed it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You need to update your APN settings. I had the same problem, and following the instructions here fixed it.

I think that fixed it, the number is there now! You're my hero forever. Thanks!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

Oh, is that new? I'll have to check that out.

From your my T-Mobile account main page go to view/edit autopay settings, then edit extra services > add extra funds (minimum $10.)

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Guys, what is the best data-only tablet prepaid plan? AIO used to have something but it wasn't that great, if I recall correctly.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Wasn't Tmobile Prepaid supposed to get free international texting on the 26th? I'm trying to send out a text to a friend in canada but keep getting binged back with either "insufficient funds" or Error 21.

quote:

CMS ERROR 21 "Short message transfer rejected" This cause indicates that the equipment sending this cause does not wish to accept this short message, although it could have accepted the short message since the equipment sending this cause is neither busy nor incompatible.

What gives?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How horrible is Freedom Pop? I have extremely minimal cell requirements, since I spend 95% of my with good Wifi, and I have access to a cheap Sprint iPhone 5. I know it's Sprint services, but so long as it won't drop calls and I can get decent enough data service to check my email I'm fine.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
My friend has been telling me how awesome ting is and my contract has ran out so I am debating switching over. I am curious if anyone has had any experiences with ting they could tell me about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ingenium posted:

My friend has been telling me how awesome ting is and my contract has ran out so I am debating switching over. I am curious if anyone has had any experiences with ting they could tell me about.

Sprint but cheaper if you're not a 5GB of data monthly, on the road a lot, heavy user. If you're a light use guy you can pay the more quality-appropriate price of like $30 monthly for Sprint service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh!

Forgot to mention that all AIO users on the Smart and Pro plans now has unlimited texting internationally for free as this is what Cricket has already.

There's talk that the next update to AIO before merging will be the ability to have your data go towards a tablet without penalty or extra payment. Again, this is also another Cricket perk.

I wouldn't be surprised if free tethering is included in the Smart and Pro plans as well as this is also something that Cricket has for their smartphone plans.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh!

Forgot to mention that all AIO users on the Smart and Pro plans now has unlimited texting internationally for free as this is what Cricket has already.

There's talk that the next update to AIO before merging will be the ability to have your data go towards a tablet without penalty or extra payment. Again, this is also another Cricket perk.

I wouldn't be surprised if free tethering is included in the Smart and Pro plans as well as this is also something that Cricket has for their smartphone plans.

Most international texters have probably switched to an IM app of some sort so I don't know how great that feature is. However, it's looking more and more likely that I'll buy a cellular radio tablet on the next go around what with Tmo's free 200mb and now this.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
My mom is still using an old flip phone on a grandfathered virgin mobile plan. The phone doesn't work very well anymore but she doesn't want to pay more than the $20 every 90 days she's used to. A little research seems to point to tracfone as the only option. Is there anything else? Has anyone used their byop service? From what I've read you can use any verizon branded post paid phones that doesn't support lte. If that's true, what's the most recent device I should be looking to pick up used if I go this route at all?

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
I'm about ready to finally give VZW the boot, but I don't have the floating money to buy a phone outright. I live in an area that appears to have good TMO coverage, and I use very little data each month.

If I go with TMO's $50 plan (Unlimited T/T, 1gb LTE, 2g speeds afterwards), and take advantage of their $27/month "pay for your phone for two years, 0% APR" option, can I pay down the principal if I pay more than the $77 minimum each month?

My goal is to cut down my bill from the ~$80 that I'm already paying, so if it's possible to pay off the phone portion of the bill early, the TMO option seems pretty great.

Thoughts?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Anyone know if its possible to swap SIMs between phones? Currently using Straighttalk BYoD GSM pre paid plan with a generic Chinese smart phone that is acting up and needs to be warrantied. I was hoping to be able to just pull the SIM and put it in another phone so I can use the same number while I wait for replacement.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone with T-Mobile prepaid ever get their SIM card replaced? My wife's GS4 has been having SIM errors lately and from discussion on Android forums it's either a problem with the SIM itself or the SD/SIM tray. Depending on how many hoops T-Mobile makes you jump through to replace the SIM will determine my next course of action...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Anyone know if its possible to swap SIMs between phones? Currently using Straighttalk BYoD GSM pre paid plan with a generic Chinese smart phone that is acting up and needs to be warrantied. I was hoping to be able to just pull the SIM and put it in another phone so I can use the same number while I wait for replacement.

Yes, that's the whole point. Some phones get locked to a specific carrier, but generally, if the phone will take the SIM it should work.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You should have no problem doing this, that's kind of the whole point of SIM cards.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Anyone with T-Mobile prepaid ever get their SIM card replaced? My wife's GS4 has been having SIM errors lately and from discussion on Android forums it's either a problem with the SIM itself or the SD/SIM tray. Depending on how many hoops T-Mobile makes you jump through to replace the SIM will determine my next course of action...

In my experience, completely painless and hassle-free. There's supposedly a difference between corporate-owned retail joints and contractor sites, but I've only ever found corporate ones. I've never paid for a new SIM, and replacements were handled within minutes in person. Apologies, if you live in North Dakota etc.

e: this has all been on prepaid, so if you're on postpaid you ought to expect even better service

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IanCaw posted:

If I go with TMO's $50 plan (Unlimited T/T, 1gb LTE, 2g speeds afterwards), and take advantage of their $27/month "pay for your phone for two years, 0% APR" option, can I pay down the principal if I pay more than the $77 minimum each month?
Thoughts?

I believe you can pay off the phone early (couldn't find anything specific on their site), but with 0% APR, there's no real incentive to pay it off earlier. Just throw your extra money into a savings account and use it to pay off the phone in one lump sum in case you need to before the two years are up. If you don't, then take that money after two years and buy yourself something nice.

(plus, you can earn a whole few cents in interest that way!)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sweart gliwere posted:

In my experience, completely painless and hassle-free. There's supposedly a difference between corporate-owned retail joints and contractor sites, but I've only ever found corporate ones. I've never paid for a new SIM, and replacements were handled within minutes in person. Apologies, if you live in North Dakota etc.

e: this has all been on prepaid, so if you're on postpaid you ought to expect even better service

Ah - I had assumed that since you had to get the SIM & starter kit online when starting service that the retail stores wouldn't be able to help at all. I'll swing by the T-Mobile corporate owned store tomorrow and see if they'll give me a new SIM.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Athenry posted:

Yes, that's the whole point.

SB35 posted:

You should have no problem doing this, that's kind of the whole point of SIM cards.
Thanks guys. That is what I thought but read some stuff saying different, just wanted to make sure since I need my phone for work.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
My aio now says cricket on the provider setting.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TLG James posted:

My aio now says cricket on the provider setting.

Oh snap, just pulled down the notification shade and yep, it's cricket now.

My AIO app prompts me to update to a new version with cricket branding and aiowireless.com now redirects to cricketwireless.com.

E: Here's an article with the press release. I guess today is the switch over, time to start living down the stigma.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 18, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Better make sure you have the receipt on hand.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Give me authorized tethering and they have me as a long-long-long term customer. Perfect price and data package for me. I am tethering small amounts currently, but would greatly appreciate the blessing from the Telco.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How do I know if I'm getting the $5 Autopay discount? Will it just say $40 until 5 days before my bill is due?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

How do I know if I'm getting the $5 Autopay discount? Will it just say $40 until 5 days before my bill is due?

If you put in all your CC info and autopay is turned on a magical $5 credit will appear in your account several days before your bill is due.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
Is it still difficult to switch from StraightTalk to AIO? I remember reading a post where a guy couldn't use his phone because it was taking so long. I planned on going to an AIO store and having them do it there. I just don't want to lose my number nor do I want it to take a week.

I haven't had any problems with StraightTalk, but it seems if I do in the future, their support won't be helping me.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

carb0nex posted:

Is it still difficult to switch from StraightTalk to AIO? I remember reading a post where a guy couldn't use his phone because it was taking so long. I planned on going to an AIO store and having them do it there. I just don't want to lose my number nor do I want it to take a week.

I haven't had any problems with StraightTalk, but it seems if I do in the future, their support won't be helping me.

It will most likely cause you issue. The store should be able to get it done for you with a minimal amount of waiting in most cases. The trouble arises with porting out of ST as they are never helpful. Do this on a "non-business day" and who knows what will happen.

For less money but a little more effort you could pick up a free or $0.01 SIM kit from Tmo. Then just port your number from ST > Tmo > AIO. You could do this easily in a day at home and only end up being out about $10 of credit on Tmo.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

SB35 posted:

It will most likely cause you issue. The store should be able to get it done for you with a minimal amount of waiting in most cases. The trouble arises with porting out of ST as they are never helpful. Do this on a "non-business day" and who knows what will happen.

For less money but a little more effort you could pick up a free or $0.01 SIM kit from Tmo. Then just port your number from ST > Tmo > AIO. You could do this easily in a day at home and only end up being out about $10 of credit on Tmo.

It's easier to go from ST to Tmo, then to AIO? Wow. I would not have expected that. Hmm, I guess I will have to really think about it. I remember seeing Tmo offering free sim cards, I wonder if they are still available.

Thanks.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

carb0nex posted:

There's a special "porting team" at AIO/Cricket that can get you transferred, but you have to call them at a number that isn't published (it shows up if porting fails on the website) and they don't always answer. When I switched, I went Net10 -> GoPhone -> AIO. GoPhone to AIO was easy, it just took a couple days longer than it needed to cause ST is dicks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you're a Smart or Pro Cricket customer, you will receive a $50 credit for a new device every 12 months you pay on time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you're a Smart or Pro Cricket customer, you will receive a $50 credit for a new device every 12 months you pay on time.

That's interesting. Do the credits accumulate?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

That's interesting. Do the credits accumulate?

Not sure, but I'll have to check since I'd like to know if it's possible to have it as a bill credit instead as I'd just use byop most times.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure, but I'll have to check since I'd like to know if it's possible to have it as a bill credit instead as I'd just use byop most times.

I could stand to pick up a device and flip it every year. Or keep it in a box until it can be unlocked and then flip it. Hm.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SB35 posted:

I could stand to pick up a device and flip it every year. Or keep it in a box until it can be unlocked and then flip it. Hm.

Fifty bucks off full price of an iphone isn't going to get you very far unfortunately.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Anyone here with straight talk in the bay area and using the AT&T sim? I thought my nexus 5 was just lovely, but i configured an iphone 5 for straight talk, it sucks just like my nexus 5. My friends AT&T iphone 5 has way better reception, and it just "works" most of the time. Speedtests indicate that he gets 20mbps in the same spot as im standing while i am lucky to crack 11mbps. 11mbps would be fantastic, but in reality i rarely get 11mbps. Most of the time my browser feels like its going at 1mbps at most, sometimes 45 seconds to just load a simple google news article.

gently caress this, guess i have to go back to AT&T.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

Anyone here with straight talk in the bay area and using the AT&T sim? I thought my nexus 5 was just lovely, but i configured an iphone 5 for straight talk, it sucks just like my nexus 5. My friends AT&T iphone 5 has way better reception, and it just "works" most of the time. Speedtests indicate that he gets 20mbps in the same spot as im standing while i am lucky to crack 11mbps. 11mbps would be fantastic, but in reality i rarely get 11mbps. Most of the time my browser feels like its going at 1mbps at most, sometimes 45 seconds to just load a simple google news article.

gently caress this, guess i have to go back to AT&T.

It sounds like you might be having an issue with ping time. I saw that problem in the past. It would take multiple presses of the button for the command to "go through" and finally happen. It eventually went away but was annoying enough for a couple months.

Eventually switched to AIOnow Cricket and have been happy since. Consider another MVNO. Straight Talk is not your only choice.

• Locked thread