Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aku posted:

He was more active than Vince in the ring(who also did some insane spots for a 50+ year old man), but he was hardly a wrestler and it showed quite clear. The way he was booked was weird though: "stronger than a corporate suit should have been, but still not a WWE Superstar". He compensated with a lot of really dangerous spots, such as flying off the Titantron NUMEROUS times, and he even did the Van Terminator. Looking back it's really stupid, but I still hold a certain level of admiration for him.

He also almost never won. Which was probably for the best, not only is he a McMahon, but he's a barely trained spot monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aku posted:

He was more active than Vince in the ring(who also did some insane spots for a 50+ year old man), but he was hardly a wrestler and it showed quite clear. The way he was booked was weird though: "stronger than a corporate suit should have been, but still not a WWE Superstar". He compensated with a lot of really dangerous spots, such as flying off the Titantron NUMEROUS times, and he even did the Van Terminator. Looking back it's really stupid, but I still hold a certain level of admiration for him.

Anyone have a GIF of Vince's announce table spot from St. Valentine's Day Massacre?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also I can't help but love a guy who was on top of the Titantron about to do something really dumb, crossed himself, then jumped.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I also have a soft spot for his Blackman match (Summerslam '00?), Big Show match (Backlash '01), and Angle at KOTR.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Speaking of the McMahons, was Shane vs Vince at Wrestlemania any good? Because I remember loving it as a kid

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

schweens posted:

Speaking of the McMahons, was Shane vs Vince at Wrestlemania any good? Because I remember loving it as a kid

If you loved it that was as good as it needed to be.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

schweens posted:

Me too, it was wacky and overbooked as all get out, but the audience was a super into the angle, which really helped. If you're just watching it out of context, without any knowledge of the storyline, it's not that great.

IIRC, Vince and Shane had a rematch a few months later on Raw that was dreadful.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Road Dogg and Josh Matthews spent like, half of Are You Serious? making fun of his weight.

I used to think they were mocking Kidman 'just because' as a sort of running gag. Then he appeared on the BNB&Cody Show a couple weeks ago and it became quite clear they weren't really exaggerating about him.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Not gonna lie, I kind of miss Shane O Mac and wish he would return to the company--if only to provide a good counter angle to Stephanie.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TL posted:

Me too, it was wacky and overbooked as all get out, but the audience was a super into the angle, which really helped. If you're just watching it out of context, without any knowledge of the storyline, it's not that great.

IIRC, Vince and Shane had a rematch a few months later on Raw that was dreadful.
The finish is worth the price of admission, it's still Shane's best "holy poo poo" moment for me

e: it's also the one time where Linda managed to get a pop (because she didn't have to use her awful boring voice)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Anyone have a GIF of Vince's announce table spot from St. Valentine's Day Massacre?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

St Evan Echoes posted:

The finish is worth the price of admission, it's still Shane's best "holy poo poo" moment for me

e: it's also the one time where Linda managed to get a pop (because she didn't have to use her awful boring voice)

Do you have a link?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
After watching a few Young Bucks matches, I now have the questions:

1. What the gently caress are they wearing?

2. Did their mom make those costumes and is she guilting them into wearing them?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Can't be any worse than Double J's attire in WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Angular Landbury posted:

After watching a few Young Bucks matches, I now have the questions:

1. What the gently caress are they wearing?

2. Did their mom make those costumes and is she guilting them into wearing them?

I wanted to say they took their gear from Rockers era Michaels, mannerisms from DX era Michaels as well as his superkick but realistically that gear is inspired by the Rock N Roll Express.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

iLikeMidgets posted:

Do you have a link?
Sure thing, buddy

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x119hb5_shane-mcmahon-vs-vince-mcmahon-wrestlemania-17_sport&start=1141

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Can't be any worse than Double J's attire in WCW.

Actually, if you mean those monstrosities with the strips of fabric on his chest, the ones he wore in WCW were downright tasteful and restrained compared to the eye cancer he wore in his first WWF run.

WCW:

WWF:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Was Dan Severn pulling out of the Brawl for All because he had "nothing to prove" after beating Godfather them realizing that he'd kill the entire roster if he continued in the tournament?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

According to Bob Holly, yeah. Although it was more "Under those rules he'd wrestlefuck everyone to death. Yay for your tournament."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His fight with Godfather was boring and embarrassing, but that was the best way to beat a guy who had...off the top of my head, like 8 inches of height and 120 pounds on him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

His fight with Godfather was boring and embarrassing, but that was the best way to beat a guy who had...off the top of my head, like 8 inches of height and 120 pounds on him.

I have not seen the fight but I've heard it described as "Severn knocks him down and goes for a submission, realizes there's no submissions, and takes him down over and over until he has 10 million points"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That sounds more like the fight between Blackman and Mero, which is pretty entertaining as Blackman just totally neutralizes Mero's boxing with textbook takedowns, over and over. If I remember right, Severn/Godfather is slow and boring because Godfather's sheer size makes it hard for even a guy like Severn to take him down, so they spend a lot of time clinched up with Godfather trying to punch and Severn working the takedown. I mean, Severn dominates and Godfather is hanging on for dear life, but it doesn't make either guy look good.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
In the same vein of brawl for all, who's the legit toughest guy on the roster today? Who'd win a huge UFC style, wwe only tourney?

I'd probably bet on Reigns or Cesaro.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Brock Lesnar, most likely. After that, I would bet on Swagger--if I remember right, he and Nick Nemeth are the most decorated amateur wrestlers on the roster, and Hager is a heavyweight.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I have to imagine Brock would win a UFC tourney, as he's the only guy to actually compete in MMA there. Unless you're counting Batista or that time Del Rio got his block knocked off by Cro Cop.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So long as no one's allowed to beat his guts in.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

In the same vein of brawl for all, who's the legit toughest guy on the roster today? Who'd win a huge UFC style, wwe only tourney?

Brock, by a mile.

If you take him out of the running, then

fatherdog posted:

Assuming everybody read the rules and fought with a smart strategy (probably a bad assumption, but hey, whatever) the winner is almost certainly gonna be the guy that can rack up the most takedowns in a round, so yeah probably Swagger. If everybody decides to stand around and swing for the fences, it'll probably be the guy who currently has had the fewest concussions.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

I would love to see them do a shoot ppv, just to see how well Cena does.

Halloween Jack posted:

Brock Lesnar, most likely. After that, I would bet on Swagger--if I remember right, he and Nick Nemeth are the most decorated amateur wrestlers on the roster, and Hager is a heavyweight.

Why would you do this

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sir Jebus posted:

Why would you do this

I can answer your question. Poorly. He would do very poorly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Now I want to see Cena attempt to shoot rapadoo Lesnar and get his head smashed in.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sir Jebus posted:

Why would you do this

Because if someone wants to talk about their pre-WWE NCAA careers, you'd mention them under their real names so someone could check it out if they wanted?

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

Because if someone wants to talk about their pre-WWE NCAA careers, you'd mention them under their real names so someone could check it out if they wanted?

Literally in the same sentence he said "I would bet on Swagger".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Or you could go to Wikipedia, where they will happily tell you "Nick Nemeth, otherwise known by his fake name 'Dolph Ziggler', is a fake stuntman known as a 'professional wrestler' performing choreographed fake bullshit [citation needed]."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sir Jebus posted:

Literally in the same sentence he said "I would bet on Swagger".

Which is probably force of habit, because he also says "Hager" later in the sentence?

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

Which is probably force of habit, because he also says "Hager" later in the sentence?

Which is equally as annoying and pointless, much like answering "Who in the WWE would win in a fight" by using someones real name and not their WWE name.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Fauxhawk Express posted:

From the little bit of ECW I watched on the network yesterday from around '98-'00, there is quite a lot of misogyny in that figure as well.

Aside from a few guys like Lynn and Tajiri, it's so bad.

ohh yeah, totally. ECW's a thing that I really loved when I was young but is pretty hard to watch for me now, same with a lot of the Attitude Era.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 19, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Sir Jebus posted:

Which is equally as annoying and pointless, much like answering "Who in the WWE would win in a fight" by using someones real name and not their WWE name.

Of course you would use someone's shoot name if they're going to be in a shoot fight, it only makes sense!

As the ultimate shooter, Brock Lesnar already goes by his shoot name.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Of course you would use someone's shoot name if they're going to be in a shoot fight, it only makes sense!

As the ultimate shooter, Brock Lesnar already goes by his shoot name.

Who would win in a fight between Stephen Farrelly vs Stuart Bennett?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dean Malenko knows literally every wrestling move ever invented and his nickname was the Shooter, that must count for something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Sir Jebus posted:

Who would win in a fight between Stephen Farrelly vs Stuart Bennett?

Brock Lesnar.