Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barriers reduce damage done, but the armor stat determines how much damage is taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dr Pepper posted:

Barriers reduce damage done, but the armor stat determines how much damage is taken.
But the barrier is first and the armor is hit second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's just one of those beliefs you have to suspend and breaking barrier/armor down into two discrete things are probably not the first things that would pop up in the player's mind while playing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This sure is a thing to complain about in a game where damage calculations involve things like how badass the thing getting hit is or how really angry the pilot is.

Well its ok to complain about it, but you should just lump it in with all the other gameplay concessions you have to cope with. SRW isn't short on those in any way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Technically, damage calculations can also involve how truly in love the pilot is.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've got a few quick questions regarding Z3 on vita.

1. How much memory do I need on my memory card if I'm buying the physical cart?
2. Do AT fields work the same way as they did in MX/Alpha 3? Heard some minor disagreement on this in casual conversation.
3. Minor spoiler question: On which path and/or mission do you make the choice re: Eva unit 3? If unit 3 is not used does another mission replace the unit 3 fight?

Thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyeehg posted:

3. Minor spoiler question: On which path and/or mission do you make the choice re: Eva unit 3? If unit 3 is not used does another mission replace the unit 3 fight?
The Mari/Asuka choice, you mean? After stage 45, you'll get a choice between 'Go to Merida Island' and 'Stay in Japan.' Stay in Japan is the bottom choice. Pick that, and you'll get the choice between 'proceed with tests' and 'stop the tests' after stage 46. You keep Asuka if you stop the tests, and get Mari if you run the tests. This happens even if you've never deployed Asuka at any point in the entire game.

The only way to keep Asuka is to Stay in Japan (bottom choice) and then stop the tests (bottom choice.) If you don't take the Japan route at all, she's still replaced with Mari.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also, given how spectacularly colourless Mari is in Z3 it basically amounts to you replacing the pilot of Unit 02 with a different spirit bank. One that has Valor.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

The Mari/Asuka choice, you mean? After stage 45, you'll get a choice between 'Go to Merida Island' and 'Stay in Japan.' Stay in Japan is the bottom choice. Pick that, and you'll get the choice between 'proceed with tests' and 'stop the tests' after stage 46. You keep Asuka if you stop the tests, and get Mari if you run the tests. This happens even if you've never deployed Asuka at any point in the entire game.

The only way to keep Asuka is to Stay in Japan (bottom choice) and then stop the tests (bottom choice.) If you don't take the Japan route at all, she's still replaced with Mari.

Cool thanks for the info! Quick follow up question, I know that 'proceed with tests' results in a mission to stop the infected unit 3. What mission do you get if you stop the tests?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

Cool thanks for the info! Quick follow up question, I know that 'proceed with tests' results in a mission to stop the infected unit 3. What mission do you get if you stop the tests?

An unrelated Aquarion Evol-themed mission.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Nyeehg posted:

2. Do AT fields work the same way as they did in MX/Alpha 3? Heard some minor disagreement on this in casual conversation.

AT Fields work like "classic" SRW barriers (aka how they've mostly worked)-- they stop all damage under a certain threshold and if the threshold is reached then the whole attack penetrates. The difference is that SRWZ3 AT Fields are immune to the "barrier pierce" property of certain weapons (and combination attacks) unless they specifically cancel out AT Fields. If Volfogg were in Z3, he'd be very disappointed.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Broken Loose posted:

AT Fields work like "classic" SRW barriers (aka how they've mostly worked)-- they stop all damage under a certain threshold and if the threshold is reached then the whole attack penetrates. The difference is that SRWZ3 AT Fields are immune to the "barrier pierce" property of certain weapons (and combination attacks) unless they specifically cancel out AT Fields. If Volfogg were in Z3, he'd be very disappointed.

In my experience with Z3, AT Fields seem to be just as vulnerable to Barrier Pierce as any other barrier. This has led to some hilarious "oh poo poo" moments before I realize Shinji didn't just get dunked for 4k damage.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

From a story standpoint on that issue alone, does Z-Blue actually figure out that there's an Angel in Unit 03, or do they just kinda keep it/dispose of it because they already have enough super robots?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am not sure how I feel about Z3 after finishing it. All it did was left me wanting to play a good SRW, or maybe just a self contained one.

It just feels like I didn't get what I wanted out of the game. The Eva plot got shuffled off into route splits almost entirely and all it managed to do for me was reference the scenes in Alpha 1 which handled everything a lot better. FMP has a really good showing at the start but kind of drops off in the 2nd half because of the route splits as well. Hibiki gets as much development as most OG characters do in a single game but his arc ends before the game does and the whole thing just leaves off on a giant cliffhanger.

So yeah I guess I just want to play a decent relatively well paced and organized SRW game, or maybe just a fun one. Z3 has too many blemishes making it look bad, even if I am really looking forward to Z3-2. I just hope they have the budget and time to do it well, otherwise it will probably end up disappointing as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

I am not sure how I feel about Z3 after finishing it. All it did was left me wanting to play a good SRW, or maybe just a self contained one.

It just feels like I didn't get what I wanted out of the game. The Eva plot got shuffled off into route splits almost entirely and all it managed to do for me was reference the scenes in Alpha 1 which handled everything a lot better. FMP has a really good showing at the start but kind of drops off in the 2nd half because of the route splits as well. Hibiki gets as much development as most OG characters do in a single game but his arc ends before the game does and the whole thing just leaves off on a giant cliffhanger.

So yeah I guess I just want to play a decent relatively well paced and organized SRW game, or maybe just a fun one. Z3 has too many blemishes making it look bad, even if I am really looking forward to Z3-2. I just hope they have the budget and time to do it well, otherwise it will probably end up disappointing as well.

I'm not sure what you mean. Shinji gets more crossover conversations and such than half the characters in the game. Hell, I'm pretty sure he has more voice-acted crossover comments than half the characters in the game to compensate for all the stuff he gets. Rei and Asuka get less but... well, Rebuild ain't exactly friendly to either of their characters.

I especially don't understand the complaint about things being off in route splits or what SRW would make that 'good' considering the entire Z series has had tons of route splits which take up huge chunks of a series plot. Heck, in SRWZ, you effectively had to play the game twice to see a huge chunk of a bunch of plots (although the second protagonist helped that a bit) and in Z2 you had tons of three-way plot splits which often encompassed huge chunks of storyline.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 18, 2014

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Shinji gets more crossover conversations and such than half the characters in the game. Hell, I'm pretty sure he has more voice-acted crossover comments than half the characters in the game to compensate for all the stuff he gets.

This is exactly what I mean. After finishing the game this is not at all the impression I have. To me it seemed like Eva was a non entity. I only remember two major events with it and thats the ending of Rebuild 1 fight and what I think is the opening of Rebuild 2 which doesn't really feature Shinji in it at all. Outside of that Eva's inclusion in this game left no impression on me. At best all I can tell is that Shinji has a few lines about not running away and that he has friends now, like in other SRW games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

This is exactly what I mean. After finishing the game this is not at all the impression I have. To me it seemed like Eva was a non entity. I only remember two major events with it and thats the ending of Rebuild 1 fight and what I think is the opening of Rebuild 2. Outside of that Eva's inclusion in this game left no impression on me. At best all I can tell is that Shinji has a few lines about not running away and that he has friends now, like in other SRW games.

You seriously don't remember the surprisingly fun Aquarion Evol plotline where Jin and Shinji become friends which climaxes which Jin teleporting in front of the attack for Shinji while manifesting an AT Field, complete with a voice-acted shout of Shinji's name and then Shinji has grief over losing his friend?

I'm not sure what else you'd be looking for. Shinji has development, makes cross-series friends with characters, Eva and Aquarion Evol are tied together a lot which gives them weird crossover plot (Original Aquarion's hiding place), the characters all get a showing... like the worst I can say is that Mari gets completely shafted and they do nothing with her because she's a nonentity of a character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 18, 2014

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not until you brought that up, because how annoying EVOL is in the last route split is far more prominent in my mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Not until you brought that up, because how annoying EVOL is in the last route split is far more prominent in my mind.

I don't like Aquarion EVOL myself but I thought they did about the best they could do with it. It's not a very good show and I think Z3 did the best it could by focusing more on sub-plots for the sub-pilots.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
On the note of Aquarion EVOL, I have not watched the series, but after seeing the way it was handled in Z3, I have to agree with the rest of the thread's assessment that the supporting cast is a thousand times more interesting than the main protagonists. I was ready for Yunoha to be a bad character just from her design alone, but she turned out to have one of the more touching story arcs in the game.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Hokuto posted:

On the note of Aquarion EVOL, I have not watched the series, but after seeing the way it was handled in Z3, I have to agree with the rest of the thread's assessment that the supporting cast is a thousand times more interesting than the main protagonists. I was ready for Yunoha to be a bad character just from her design alone, but she turned out to have one of the more touching story arcs in the game.

I usually don't like her character type, or what I expected of her, but she's really amazing.

I wish I had two Aquarions still.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I don't like Aquarion EVOL myself but I thought they did about the best they could do with it. It's not a very good show and I think Z3 did the best it could by focusing more on sub-plots for the sub-pilots.

Fair enough, some other people seemed to really enjoy that EVOL stage at geofront as well. My japanese is barely at beginners level and I take too long to go through these games so I am probably not getting what was intended from these games. Overall it just feels like I enjoyed some of the previous entries more.

Edit: On an unrelated mechanical note they really need to go one way or another with the maximum break track. Either overwrite everything including boss themes, or don't. The one time I want it to overwrite a track it actually doesn't.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 19, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

"Lostconfused" posted:

Edit: On an unrelated mechanical note they really need to go one way or another with the maximum break track. Either overwrite everything including boss themes, or don't. The one time I want it to overwrite a track it actually doesn't.
I love how in SRW, music priority/override is considered a gameplay mechanics concern.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lostconfused posted:

Fair enough, some other people seemed to really enjoy that EVOL stage at geofront as well. My japanese is barely at beginners level and I take too long to go through these games so I am probably not getting what was intended from these games. Overall it just feels like I enjoyed some of the previous entries more.
???????

I'll never understand why people bash series inclusions in these games on a story level when they can't even read the story

Personally I was very happy that every single attack just has Amata shouting at the top of his lungs. That was pretty great!

And also the way Shinji mumbles in all of his attacks is adorable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

And also the way Shinji mumbles in all of his attacks is adorable.

I love all his little support quotes, especially for Noriko and Simon. :unsmith:

It's going to be so depressing when everything goes to poo poo for him.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love how in SRW, music priority/override is considered a gameplay mechanics concern.
My eye still twitches every time I use a TRANS AM attack with 00 units. It annoys me to a certain extent as well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Trombe is OP Terada pls nerf.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

GimmickMan posted:

Trombe is OP Terada pls nerf.

Nevar, Trombe is Guile Theme status.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rascyc posted:

My eye still twitches every time I use a TRANS AM attack with 00 units. It annoys me to a certain extent as well.

I love that theme, although I never bothered to figure out how to set what music I want to play during most situations so I'd always do something like rush Kallen at some cannon fodder with attack animations on then immediately skip the animation just so Previous Notice would play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They sure needed some generic boss music to go with the anime bosses, it was weird fighting against the OVERLORD OF SPACE with just the standard music going.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish they'd give bosses multiple themes. One that's more dramatic for when they first show up and threaten the team and a more upbeat one for when the team gets pumped up and rallies together to beat the boss.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I'll never understand why people bash series inclusions in these games on a story level when they can't even read the story

Really? A series inclusion in SRW has far greater impact on the overall experience than just the things you can read or not. People can still have an opinion on how it affected their experience.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gyra_Solune posted:

So when I blabbed about making up series lists earlier and someone posited 'well sometimes it's better if you just take random shows and make them work out', and because I am an insane person, I basically went and compiled every single show I see as being SRW-able, alongside some Western stuff, video games, and even that Exo-Force thing Lego did a while back because it was as anime as possible.

Here are all 246 of them. Note that satellite series I tagged onto others - i can't imagine who would want to use Mazinger without Great Mazinger if you don't count K, the pre-Zeta Gundam OVAs would be tagged onto one or the other presumably, Astray and Destiny are all under SEED, pretty much anything Macross that isn't 7 or Frontier would be tagged to the original. Usage of a list randomizer would indeed allow for easily making effectively off the wall cast lists should one look at the first or last 10-20 entries there.

Note that results will inevitably include lots of tiresome unnoticed 70s super robot shows, cheesy 80s apocalyptic OVAs, fanservice-crazed 90s OVAs, utterly forgettable real robot 2000s shows, and Daimidaler or Dai Shogun all the time because random.org hates me. ^.^

Feel free to prod me about things that ought or ought not to be on this, I haven't watched the vast majority of these and don't intend to, so yeah. And you better share amusing results.

you're missing a couple of series/movies/OVA's off the top of my head are; Great War of The Flying Saucer, Mazinger Angels, Cybernetic Guardian, MD Geist, Brigadoon, Mazinger USA, Reideen The Superior, Engage Planet Kiss Dum, Shin Seki Den Mars, Gyrozetter, Sym-Bionic Titan, Machine Robo Rescue, Mighty Orbots, Starship Troopers: Uchu No Senshi, MADOX-01, Guyver(because why not), and any Transformers series, although I am impressed that you know about AMdriver(I'd give a non-essential organ for a complete set of raws for that show let alone a proper translation)

also if we're talking about ideas for Super Robot Wars games, here's my most recent idea for a One Year War centered game that does not go into Zeta, ZZ, or CCA(it baffles me how little the OYW has shown up in SRW and how all of them go into Zeta and beyond), tell me what you think of it;

1. Shin Mazinger Z-Hen
2. New Getter Robo
3. Mobile Suit Gundam
4. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
5. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket
6. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories
7. Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War*
8. Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079*
9. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Deleted Affair ~ Portrait of Young Comet*
10. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny*
11. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of A Flash*
12. Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record U.C. 0081 -The Wrath of Varuna*
13. Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt*
14. Mobile Suit Gundam: We're Federation Hooligans!!*
15. Gaiking: Legend of Daikyu-Maryu
16. Kotetsushin Jeeg
17. Combattler V
18. Voltes V
19. Zambot 3
20. Daitarn 3
21. Go Lion
22. Aura Battler Dunbine
23. The Wings of Rean
24. Panzer World Galient*
25. The Vision of Escaflowne
26. Lord of Lords Ryu Knight
27. Reideen*
28. Mado King Granzort*
29. Star Driver*
30. Hades Project Zeorymer
31. The Five Star Stories(Movie)*
32. Metal Armor Dragonar

*Series Debut

one of the more notable details is that besides Gundam there are only two non-Magic Real Robot series included in this list, Dragonar(which works perfectly with OYW era Gundam), and The Five Star Stories(because the odds of it getting into a legitimate SRW game is extremely unlikely)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd buy it, even if it's missing Captain Zaku and The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Really? A series inclusion in SRW has far greater impact on the overall experience than just the things you can read or not. People can still have an opinion on how it affected their experience.

This I can't agree with.

While I really enjoy seeing a series I like in SRW, a lot of the fun for me is seeing shows that I either am unfamiliar with or which I dislike but are executed better or different than in their canonical versions. The versions of characters who show up in SRW are sometimes drastically different from those who you know from the show, or if they are similar their development is very different.

The Char's Counterattack plot in Z is a great example of this because while it follows the basic events of CCA (and Unicorn), it could only exist in the form it does as the end result of multiple games of buildup for the characters. The fact that the events are familiar is altered by the context of those events and how tehy play out. One of my favorite parts in Z3 is a pretty subtle scene where Char does his "Hurry up Amuro, I'm doing something wicked" line, but it is completely recontextualized by who Char is and what he is doing in Z3.

There are a number of characters in SRW who I like who I strongly dislike in their original series. I like them in SRW because SRW plays them off better, changes their motivations, or just flat-out writes them better or does interesting things with them which make them a lot more enjoyable. Part of why I enjoy SRW isn't just to see my favorite guys in a game. It's to see the guys I don't like executed better. It doesn't always happen but it happens often enough that it is actually a selling point for me.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This I can't agree with.

Ok maybe I should have phrased it as "It has more impact than just the things you can read" ? Because I don't actually disagree with any of that?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
I have a question about the Unicorn.

What is it about the Unicorn's Beam Rifle that makes it so powerful?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tobias Grant posted:

The long and short of it is that it basically uses up an entire E-Cap clip with every shot. It's basically exchanging number of shots for pure power.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah, but someone who can't read Japanese shouldn't try and figure out how much plot focus a show got.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

ImpAtom posted:

The long and short of it is that it basically uses up an entire E-Cap clip with every shot. It's basically exchanging number of shots for pure power.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Tobias Grant posted:

Its not a beam rifle.

Its a beam magnum :c00lbert:

• Locked thread