Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

What is V/H/S?
In January 2012, an interesting take on found footage films was premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. This movie follows a group of teens doing pretty stupid illegal poo poo on camera. A few minutes in, the teens take their camera on the road for a final job, where they are told to find a special tape in a house. They break in but when they arrive they find much more than they bargained for, in a pile of tapes, monitors, and the owner dead in the center of the room. As the others gently caress around off screen, One teen spends his time in that room watching random tapes of varied content, all of them strange and unusual. This sets up a interesting Frame Narrative that you don't really see very often in films and allowed the individual directors of each segment to explore different ways to creep people out... with mixed results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzY2rpo_tM

Upon the success of the first film, a second film was slated for release the next year. Following the same frame narrative/ found footage style, This film follows a group of private investigators who find themselves in a similar situation of breaking into a home to find someone. This time they are also greeted to a laptop recording of the teen they are trying to find. In it, he claims if you watch the tapes in a certain order, things start to happen. So what do they do? Start putting in tapes :downs:. These segments can be pretty intense and when they do it right, they do it amazingly so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohV8rq75l80

Leaving us wanting more after some of the amazing bits the second one produced, a third movie was just recently announced. Not much is known about it at the moment except the directors, a pending release date, and a trailer. We also know that the segments will be about Teens and doing poo poo to become Internet sensations..

Ok, so when is it coming out
It's slated for a 2015 release but no clue if that's going to be an early or late year release. I Will update when more info arrives.

You mentioned a new trailer?

Yep! Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRb-IlRrZWY

Who is directing it?

No clue as to if any of the segments are co-directed but here is the list of them and some things they've done in the past.

Todd Lincoln - The Apparition
Nacho Vigalondo - Open Windows
Marcel Sarmiento - The ABCs of Death
Gregg Bishop - Dance of the Dead
Justin Benson - Resolution
Aaron Moorhead - A Glaring Emission

What segments from V/H/S 1 and 2 would you recommend? Any to avoid?

V/H/S is very hit and miss when it comes to the segments they choose. However, if you had to chose one that was worth admission, I'd go with "10/31/98". It's set outside the frame narrative and closes the film in a visually stunning piece. The effects done in the house and the story really does the best to make it feel like it was a true found film.

None of them make you want to demand your time back, but "Second Honeymoon" just didn't do much for me. The tension that they tried to build throughout the entire clip just left me feeling bored. Coming straight off of "Amateur Night" and how energetic it was didn't do many favors for it either. Still It wasn't terrible, just a interesting choice, a different kind of horror, and placement may have hurt it.

When it comes to V/H/S 2 Best hands down goes to "Safe Haven". The tensions that are built in this short segment are astounding and when crap hits the fan brace yourself for some of the craziest moments you'll ever see in film. If you have to see only one segment, this would be it.

Worst goes to "Slumber Party Alien Abduction". I do give it merits for hiring believable kids for the role and experimenting with a new camera gimmick, I feel that it just wasn't to scary. It also hurts that this is the last segment so it ends on a bad note. However it has been argued that because this follows "Safe Haven" that our expectations were just to high, and that sound wise it is gorgeous. Not all of us saw it in the Cinema or have State of the art sound systems so I stand by it being meh :colbert:

Will update this thread as more info arrives!

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm completely on board with 10/31/98 and Safe Haven as the best segments in each film, so is the takeaway here that V/H/S movies need to be madcap haunted house rides in order to live up to their full potential?

Who's directing the madcap haunted house ride this time? Please say Justin Benson, please say Justin Benson...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The best VHS short is Slumber Party Alien Abduction and apparently they realized it, seeing as how the entire third film is exactly that.

They're moving away from twenty somethings in bad relationships and yuppies with GoPro cameras to make a whole movie about Vine Creeppypastas.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
You are a good person Hundu and I respect you, so I will offer you a compromise of two madcap haunted house rides (which may or may not feature GoPro yuppies as in 10/31/98 or relationship problems as in Safe Haven), two Vine creepypastas, and one segment that is both of these at the same time. The framing segment is also a Vine creepypasta, so honestly this is a very generous deal I am giving you here and you would be wise to take it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Angel posted:

You are a good person Hundu and I respect you, so I will offer you a compromise of two madcap haunted house rides (which may or may not feature GoPro yuppies as in 10/31/98 or relationship problems as in Safe Haven), two Vine creepypastas, and one segment that is both of these at the same time. The framing segment is also a Vine creepypasta, so honestly this is a very generous deal I am giving you here and you would be wise to take it.

Possible to throw in Monster mash? Because it looks like we have at least one creature feature in this one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm all in despite not liking like half of these director's previous work. I like the commitment to this aesthetic that people seem viscerally repulsed by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

You've got yourself a deal.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
These movies have this incredibly fun feeling of variety and surprise that I imagine what going to a late night horror double feature of movies you'd never heard of used to feel like.

Personally I felt that the first VHS had the strongest overall package. The Second Honeymoon one was definitely the weak point, but it felt like kind of a breather. The second VHS, I loved the zombie and cult segments, but couldn't get into the alien abduction one and the eye implant one couldn't really sell the main character on me. I probably would've looked on the whole thing fonder had, as you said, the order of the segments been swapped around.

I also didn't really care for the framing narrative continuing from one movie into the next. I don't really remember the names or even faces of the characters in them. It doesn't really matter, since they're not long, but I like the idea better of each movie being a self-contained weirdfest about videotapes in some murderhouse.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, really looking forward to this one.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm just happy we're seeing a return to horror anthology films. I really love found footage too so these movies are a match made in heaven for me.

Has there ever been an anthology film with no framing narrative? I'm wondering that, since the framing device is easily the weakest part of both films, they could simply excise it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
IMO the framing narrative in the first movie is unusually appropriate, especially since they claim they didn't know what the shorts would be when they made it.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
I am so surprised to read that people didn't like Second Honeymoon.

I've watched my fair share of horror, and while I have been terrified before, I have never turned off a horror movie for being too scared until the scene in second honeymoon where the camera at night pans to the girl as it has in the past, and then pans to the boy...*shudder*. I felt like such a stereotype, I sucked air through my teeth and went into a "gently caress gently caress gently caress" repetition until I got the screen off.

Unfortunately, girlfriend hates horror films, and I don't like yo watch during the day, so have had to delay my viewing of the second one and thus this one. Can't wait though!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If Slumber Party Alien Abduction were it's own film, it'd have been one of the best of last year. Pure energy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mourning Due posted:

I've watched my fair share of horror, and while I have been terrified before, I have never turned off a horror movie for being too scared until the scene in second honeymoon where the camera at night pans to the girl as it has in the past, and then pans to the boy...*shudder*. I felt like such a stereotype, I sucked air through my teeth and went into a "gently caress gently caress gently caress" repetition until I got the screen off.

Unfortunately, girlfriend hates horror films, and I don't like yo watch during the day, so have had to delay my viewing of the second one and thus this one. Can't wait though!

I'm with you. It was my favorite bit from the first film. That endless shot of the cliffside while you waited assuming someone would fall is one of those things that doesn't mean anything on the second viewing but is absolutely nailbiting on the first.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

If Slumber Party Alien Abduction were it's own film, it'd have been one of the best of last year. Pure energy.

I mean, on one hand "pure energy" is pretty accurate, but on the other hand it just wasn't well-developed enough for me, if that makes any sense. It felt too pared-down and simple. It would have been infinitely better with an extra 5 minutes to breathe.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Second Honeymoon is the second most rewatchable of the original shorts outside of Tuesday the 17th because the whole film is about the wife plotting her husband's death.

Honestly, V/H/S is a really solid and cohesive package. V/H/S 2 is a hoot, but the original is probably going to end up being a classic.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, V/H/S is a really solid and cohesive package. V/H/S 2 is a hoot, but the original is probably going to end up being a classic.

That's interesting, I feel the exact opposite. What draws you to the first over the second?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm so totally down with more V/H/S, and I'm curious to know what direction they'll go in. While the second's lighthearted, loopy tone was fun, I really dug the vicious, dangerous feel to the first. It wanted to hurt you, and I really appreciate that in a horror film. The more of that, the better.

TrixRabbi posted:

SPAA is incredible.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mourning Due posted:

Yeah, it's my favorite from any VHS and the only time other than SPAA that I ever felt scared beyond jumps in VHS films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hated Alien Slumber Party for a lot of reasons. The kids were annoying as poo poo, and that was fine. But the Aliens were just the worst. I like my Grey's to be quiet, creepy creatures that carefully and calmly take you off to be experimented on. These Aliens were just roaring monsters. That's not scary to me at all. I had the same problem with that Alien Abduction movie that just came out too. It takes away all the creepiness when you see these things snarling and tripping over themselves to get you.

Also, the dog getting killed was lame, and I didn't think had a point. I'm fine with killing dogs, but there needs to be a reason other than shock value. Especially in a short about aliens.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I said it before, I think, but Safe Haven from the second one was completely uninteresting to me. When poo poo started going down, the payoff was basically a bunch of self-contained Rooms Where Something Scary Happened, with little in common. Huh, in this one everyone shoots themselves, in this one there's a devil babby, in this one someone is killing others and himself very nicely...

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I hated Alien Slumber Party for a lot of reasons. The kids were annoying as poo poo, and that was fine. But the Aliens were just the worst. I like my Grey's to be quiet, creepy creatures that carefully and calmly take you off to be experimented on. These Aliens were just roaring monsters. That's not scary to me at all. I had the same problem with that Alien Abduction movie that just came out too. It takes away all the creepiness when you see these things snarling and tripping over themselves to get you.

They also suffered at times from Jason syndrome. Slow moving than lightning quick. No real rhyme or reason to their movements when hunting so it just took me out of the moment.

quote:

Also, the dog getting killed was lame, and I didn't think had a point.
This pissed me off as well. Completely pointless and stupid to kill the dog. :argh:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Why?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Because a dog, unlike a shithead kid can be empathized with.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Because a dog, unlike a shithead kid can be empathized with.

And that has nothing to do with the rest of the short? Or the series? Or the concept of found footage horror?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And that has nothing to do with the rest of the short? Or the series? Or the concept of found footage horror?

I was trying to find the answer to that in the V/H/S/2 thread and got some interesting responses! It's part of why SPAA is so good. Another thing is that the aliens are clearly not "real". They are Putty Patrollers, guys in shiny bodysuits. Their spacecraft consists of threatening sounds and lights. Like the kids, they did it themselves. It's a big, scary prank, and alien teenagers can have fun too.

Another thing I like about the series is that there's practically no consensus on any of the shorts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because it didn't have a point. I guess it doesn't have to have a point, but it still bothered me. I like dogs. I like dogs a lot. They're cool. I don't mind dogs getting killed in alien movies because that happens almost all the time. But to end the film on that note left me super sour. But I was already hating it before that so that was just the icing on the cake.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Second Honeymoon and Tuesday the 17th were the only remotely enjoyable segments of either movie. I thought alien slumber party was atrocious. I didn't feel any tension in Safe Haven whatsoever.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

Because it didn't have a point. I guess it doesn't have to have a point, but it still bothered me. I like dogs. I like dogs a lot. They're cool. I don't mind dogs getting killed in alien movies because that happens almost all the time. But to end the film on that note left me super sour. But I was already hating it before that so that was just the icing on the cake.

What is it asking you, as a viewer?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really enjoyed the "I like you" segment of the first V/H/S, and I saw the second one about two days ago - the best one far and away was the segment directed by the dude who did The Raid about the cult. Holy gently caress.
The alien abduction one was completely incomprehensible. I guess that was the intention, but the whole time you're just going, "well, what?"

Also, did the aliens have a "human trap" in the police sirens drawing them out, or were the police magically abducted?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 19, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MisterBibs posted:

I said it before, I think, but Safe Haven from the second one was completely uninteresting to me. When poo poo started going down, the payoff was basically a bunch of self-contained Rooms Where Something Scary Happened, with little in common. Huh, in this one everyone shoots themselves, in this one there's a devil babby, in this one someone is killing others and himself very nicely...

Yeah, that and the haunted house from part 1 are basically Haunted House attractions at an amusement park, but they're at least fun ones.

And please feel free to kill humans pointlessly all you want, horror movie, BUT DONT YOU DARE TOUCH CUTE LITTLE WOOFIE. :rolleyes:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Firstborn posted:

Also, did the aliens have a "human trap" in the police sirens drawing them out, or were the police magically abducted?

Yes.

weekly font posted:

Yeah, that and the haunted house from part 1 are basically Haunted House attractions at an amusement park, but they're at least fun ones.

The reverse trip back through the compound is excellent because it ends like 10/31/98: hell on earth. By going back through the compound/descending out of the house, they take hell with them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 19, 2014

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Oh good, a guy from ABCs of Death is doing a short in this one. Since all the shorts in the first VHS are about crazy and/or evil women, and most of the shorts in ABCs of Death are about women making GBS threads, farting, or otherwise using the toilet, maybe his part will combine the two themes and we'll have a demon succubus pooping for 15 minutes in between tedious frame segments.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

weekly font posted:

And please feel free to kill humans pointlessly all you want, horror movie, BUT DONT YOU DARE TOUCH CUTE LITTLE WOOFIE. :rolleyes:

Exactly :colbert:

I think seeing more from just the dogs Point of View after the kids are gone would actually be pretty cool instead of just fall to ground poo poo death. Get more use out of the camera, sort of like how in "A Ride in the Park" there is a bit of random zombie mingling and exploration before the final demise of the Dog.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

acephalousuniverse posted:

Oh good, a guy from ABCs of Death is doing a short in this one. Since all the shorts in the first VHS are about crazy and/or evil women, and most of the shorts in ABCs of Death are about women making GBS threads, farting, or otherwise using the toilet, maybe his part will combine the two themes and we'll have a demon succubus pooping for 15 minutes in between tedious frame segments.

All the shorts in the first VHS are just as much about malicious, clueless dudes.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh right I forgot, the best part of the first V/H/S is not any of the shorts (this is not a slight against them), but rather the fact that it introduced me to They Come to Get Us, which as far as I'm concerned is close to as good as white people can get at making music.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

penismightier posted:

That's interesting, I feel the exact opposite. What draws you to the first over the second?
V/H/S just seems like a more cohesive piece about gender in film. I also just genuinely like all of the shorts whereas V/H/S 2 has some weak points for me. They compliment each other well though. V/H/S is a bummer and makes you feel bad. V/H/S 2 is just a good time.

acephalousuniverse posted:

the first VHS are about crazy and/or evil women
That's a real simplification. V/H/S is about the juxtaposition of female fears towards men and male fears towards women. Yeah, there are succubi, serial killer lesbians, and possessed girls, but the end shot of the girl getting her top ripped of is pretty clear on which gender has justified fears and which gender is just afraid of have the tables turned on them.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Spiffster posted:

When it comes to V/H/S 2 Best hands down goes to "Safe Haven".

Am I alone in thinking that the last 30 seconds almost ruins it?
That goat demon costume was awfuuuul.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What is it asking you, as a viewer?

It wasn't asking me anything. Unless you have some insight here. What was the film asking you?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

It wasn't asking me anything. Unless you have some insight here. What was the film asking you?

Well, look, what do you feel when the teenagers are being slaughtered? What do you feel when the dog is dying? Most people are probably not going to give much thought to the teenagers. The teenagers are meat. It's why we enjoy slasher films, we get to watch other people die and it's fun. We don't feel for them. In this way, our reaction is a judgement. To care more for the dog is to decide that the teenagers are more deserving of their deaths. So, why do we care more for the dog? Why do we condemn the teenagers as "shitheads"? It's like a little morality play, and I really appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's a real simplification. V/H/S is about the juxtaposition of female fears towards men and male fears towards women. Yeah, there are succubi, serial killer lesbians, and possessed girls, but the end shot of the girl getting her top ripped of is pretty clear on which gender has justified fears and which gender is just afraid of have the tables turned on them.

No actually this is the simplification. "Don't be mean to women because they are crazy and evil and will murder you for it" is the source of every witch/succubus type trope in human history.

edit: Basically according to this logic every cliche slasher movie ever made is feminist because it's MEN doing the killing and a GIRL triumphs in the end omg!!!

It doesn't matter much anyway since the real reason these movies suck is because most of the shorts are beyond amateurish and lazy. The ~totally coincidental~ gender themes are just funny in how oblivious people who make horror movies can be. (ABCs of Death's women-on-toilets obsession is way weirder though.)

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, look, what do you feel when the teenagers are being slaughtered? What do you feel when the dog is dying? Most people are probably not going to give much thought to the teenagers. The teenagers are meat. It's why we enjoy slasher films, we get to watch other people die and it's fun. We don't feel for them. In this way, our reaction is a judgement. To care more for the dog is to decide that the teenagers are more deserving of their deaths. So, why do we care more for the dog? Why do we condemn the teenagers as "shitheads"? It's like a little morality play, and I really appreciate that.

Yeah people are idiots/brain-broken for caring more about the dog than the teenagers but it's an extremely throwaway thing at the very end of the short and hardly qualifies the thing as a "morality play."

acephalousuniverse fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 19, 2014

• Locked thread