Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ST and Net10 must have some kind of funky deprioritizing arrangement or something. I had nothing but timeouts on Net10, and that seems to be the case on ST from what y'all post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

SB35 posted:

It sounds like you might be having an issue with ping time. I saw that problem in the past. It would take multiple presses of the button for the command to "go through" and finally happen. It eventually went away but was annoying enough for a couple months.

Eventually switched to AIOnow Cricket and have been happy since. Consider another MVNO. Straight Talk is not your only choice.

Cricket looks like it has amazing pricing. Its CDMA though so im paying up the rear end for unlocked phones arent i? ive heard the straight talk store iphone 5 (i have an unlocked AT&T one) can work on CDMA weirdly.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 19, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Cricket looks like it has amazing pricing. Its CDMA though so im paying up the rear end for unlocked phones arent i? ive heard the straight talk store iphone 5 (i have an unlocked AT&T one) can work on CDMA weirdly.

The "new" cricket is GSM running on AT&Ts network. They are going to shutdown the CDMA network eventually. You can bring any unlocked or AT&T locked phone to Cricket.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Sorry, that's why I said AIO Cricket. Because AIO is awesome and recently took the cricket name. It's GSM and runs on AT&T LTE.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Oops, i see that now on the website. So it doesnt suffer the same problems as straight talk despite being an AT&T MVNO? i will give it a shot i suppose

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 19, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Oops, i see that now on the website. So it doesnt suffer the same problems as straight talk despite being an AT&T MVNO? i will give it a shot i suppose

aio cricket is owned by at&t so they don't get jerked around too much. The only downside to some is throttled data speeds 8mb LTE and 4mb HSPA, but I find that the data speeds are plenty for everything I do on my phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On paper yes they're throttled but it isn't some weird kind of QoS fuckery where you have to try a half dozen times to load a page. Loads first try every try, just at 4mb/8mb instead of like 12 or whatever.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
AIO/Cricket is good. Switch to them and support them. They are up front with what they allow and the consequences. The speed is great and when throttled it's passable but with high ping times. I'm concerned about sustainability because it's such a good deal and doesn't have any fuckery going on like ST/net10.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just visited a Cricket store and asked about that $50 yearly credit. Looks like it's a rebate or something and it does not stack.

They changed the stores seemingly overnight too since the new logo was everywhere (except on the outside) and all of the employees were knowledgeable and had new shirts on too.

AT&T might be the boost Cricket Wireless needed and Cricket might be the boost that AIO Wireless needed.

Also, I've finally come full circle as I started with Cricket back in the late 90s/early 2000s and now I'm right back to them. :v:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

TraderStav posted:

I'm concerned about sustainability because it's such a good deal and doesn't have any fuckery going on like ST/net10.

AT&T is basically printing money with the rates they charge for postpaid service. I'm sure Cricket/AIO will be plenty profitable.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just visited a Cricket store and asked about that $50 yearly credit. Looks like it's a rebate or something and it does not stack.

They may have been confused by another promotion they're running--a $50 prepaid debit card by mail with the purchase of a smartphone.

They spell out all the details on their website about the $50 device credit/12 months of on-time payments. It's only for the $50 or $60 plan. You can accumulate up to $150 max after 36 months ($100 after 24). It can only be used to buy a device through a Cricket store or website. It's not a bill credit. If you're late one month, your 12 month counter does not reset to 0. You just don't get your 1 of 12 months credit for that month. It's one credit per account, even if you have multiple lines. It will stack with the Group Save multi-line discount or the $5 AutoPay discount.

They also have a $25 referral program that seems to have carried over from the old Cricket. $25 bill credit after 60 days for both the referrer and the new customer.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/referrals.html

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

They also have a $25 referral program that seems to have carried over from the old Cricket. $25 bill credit after 60 days for both the referrer and the new customer.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/referrals.html

Don't know if this was Cricket or not, as AIO was doing referrals the same way. It's a good deal. AIO/Cricket is getting a lot of attention lately, so it's been pretty easy to pick up a few referrals.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My parents are switched over to Android phones on Aio now, their first smart phones. It's going way better than I expected, dad especially is comfortable adjusting settings, picking apps from the play store, moving shortcuts around and calling and email.

I ran into a problem the other day however when I was showing him how to text images. We repeatedly got a message along the lines that "MMS could not be sent as your carrier does not allow it" but, of course, I have no problem sending images and I have the same carrier. Did I gently caress something up when I was entering the data settings? Any idea of what I should check before I bother with Aio support?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sheep-Goats posted:

My parents are switched over to Android phones on Aio now, their first smart phones. It's going way better than I expected, dad especially is comfortable adjusting settings, picking apps from the play store, moving shortcuts around and calling and email.

I ran into a problem the other day however when I was showing him how to text images. We repeatedly got a message along the lines that "MMS could not be sent as your carrier does not allow it" but, of course, I have no problem sending images and I have the same carrier. Did I gently caress something up when I was entering the data settings? Any idea of what I should check before I bother with Aio support?

I think it may also be a check box in the account settings - my girlfriend (she's on Ting but it may still apply) got a similar message when attempting to send MMS and it was that she needed to actually enable it in account settings. It isn't an extra charge.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Make sure you have the MMS proxy and all your APN settings correct.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

I think it may also be a check box in the account settings - my girlfriend (she's on Ting but it may still apply) got a similar message when attempting to send MMS and it was that she needed to actually enable it in account settings. It isn't an extra charge.

Account settings on their site or somewhere on the phone?

SB35 posted:

Make sure you have the MMS proxy and all your APN settings correct.

I thought this was the issue initially because I had entered the following info manually and MMS picture messages worked on one phone and not the other. I just rechecked the phone with the issue and it seems like everything is set up as follows, which I think is correct:

code:
1. Tap Settings > Mobile Networks (or Mobile Data) > Access Point Names > New APN (may have to tap Menu button to see this option).
2. Enter the following APN info:
Name: Internet
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: [url]http://mmsc.aiowireless.net[/url]
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication type: Not Set 
APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
Note: on the above APN type be sure to enter it exactly as it is listed...don't include any spaces!
3. Tap Save for the new APN.
4. Go back one screen to the APN list and tap the dot to enable this APN.
5.Reboot the device. Test data and MMS.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 20, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sheep-Goats posted:

On the site I'd imagine.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

Definitely check the above APN settings. I couldn't send MMS out of network till I did.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

There isn't any MMS settings in the online account. This is phone related or sim related. If your APN settings are correct contact support.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Can anyone here confirm that an iPhone 4 will get 3G/4G speeds on AIO/Cricket? I have a 4s that works fine, but I'm trying to set up my wife's 4, and the website is telling me it'll only get 2G, which doesn't make any sense. They're unlocked AT&T phones.

Also it looks like I got a $10 credit for autopay this month...coming to $50 for the most expensive plan, instead of the $55 I usually pay with autopay.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Used to have no problems with StraightTalk until recently when the network has just been poo poo and I've only used about 380MB of data this month so I'm probably going to switch to cricket to save the $20/month. I know ST customer service is non-existent so can I get away with porting my number by only talking to cricket?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 22, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've never ported out of ST but I doubt you personally will have to talk to ST customer service. I think they will still need to release your number once Cricket puts in the request though.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Watommi posted:

Can anyone here confirm that an iPhone 4 will get 3G/4G speeds on AIO/Cricket? I have a 4s that works fine, but I'm trying to set up my wife's 4, and the website is telling me it'll only get 2G, which doesn't make any sense. They're unlocked AT&T phones.

Also it looks like I got a $10 credit for autopay this month...coming to $50 for the most expensive plan, instead of the $55 I usually pay with autopay.

If both your 4 and 4s are unlocked AT&T phones they should have 3G on AIO/Cricket with no issue.

$10 credit? Are you doing the group save thing and getting $5 per line? I only got $5, I'm on the smart plan ($50, $45/autopay).

cheese eats mouse posted:

Used to have no problems with StraightTalk until recently when the network has just been poo poo and I've only used about 380MB of data this month so I'm probably going to switch to cricket to save the $20/month. I know ST customer service is non-existent so can I get away with porting my number by only talking to cricket?

You might run into some issues. Click the little question mark under my name and look back for my post regarding porting from ST to AIO. You might be better off doing it in a round-about way like ST > Tmo > AIO.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 22, 2014

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Watommi posted:

The 4 doesn't have the hardware capability to get a '4G' signal (it doesn't have an HSPA+ antenna). You should at least be able to get a 3G signal though. I don't know why Cricket would limit it to 2G/Edge speeds.

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006

Watommi posted:

I got the same message when I was setting up both mine and my wife's iPhone 4 on AIO but I do actually get 3G speeds.

ge.hale fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 22, 2014

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

SB35 posted:

You might run into some issues. Click the little question mark under my name and look back for my post regarding porting from ST to AIO. You might be better off doing it in a round-about way like ST > Tmo > AIO.

OK good to know. I have a bunch of job interviews lined up so I need my phone for any call backs. Going to have to wait until the end of next month.

I now have no data service. Non-existant. I'm pretty pissed. I'm paying $50 a month for unlimited talk and text only right now.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
I'm looking to switch to AIO since my new ~social life~ keeps draining my old cheap 100 minute T-Mobile plan too quickly.

Someone send me a referral link to zigmoose AT gmail so we can both save money please thank you

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zigmoose posted:

I'm looking to switch to AIO since my new ~social life~ keeps draining my old cheap 100 minute T-Mobile plan too quickly.

Someone send me a referral link to zigmoose AT gmail so we can both save money please thank you

Done, but it asked for your full name. :v: I just put "Zig Moose" since I won't ask here.

Also, give it 24 hours, it says, for it to validate my #, then it'll give you a Referral Code, then wait 24 hours for you then it should be good to go.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
Are Cricket data plans really throttled to 8mbit/s? I'm on straighttalk and can get more than that, but the ping is usually in the 100+ range.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

carb0nex posted:

Are Cricket data plans really throttled to 8mbit/s? I'm on straighttalk and can get more than that, but the ping is usually in the 100+ range.

Thats what it says somewhere in their terms of service. 8Mb/s on LTE, 4Mb/s on HSPA and when you hit your data cap it throttles you to somewhere around 256kb/s for the remainder of the month until your plan renews.

Honestly its fine for streaming video and music and my ping always seems to be somewhere around 50-80. I used to be on StraightTalk as well and I prefer the Cricket method because at least I know when I'll be throttled as opposed to when ST would just do it indiscriminately because you're not supposed to be streaming much of anything on their service.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

Venkmanologist posted:

Thats what it says somewhere in their terms of service. 8Mb/s on LTE, 4Mb/s on HSPA and when you hit your data cap it throttles you to somewhere around 256kb/s for the remainder of the month until your plan renews.

Honestly its fine for streaming video and music and my ping always seems to be somewhere around 50-80. I used to be on StraightTalk as well and I prefer the Cricket method because at least I know when I'll be throttled as opposed to when ST would just do it indiscriminately because you're not supposed to be streaming much of anything on their service.

Is it really limited to that speed when a Speedtest is performed? If actual speeds are more than that, I'll probably just end up switching.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

carb0nex posted:

Is it really limited to that speed when a Speedtest is performed? If actual speeds are more than that, I'll probably just end up switching.

Are you only concerned about dick measuring speed tests? I only get 6-8mb/s on LTE speed tests, but I don't do those often because my data just works and loads things quickly enough that I really don't care to check. Maybe it doesn't do HD YouTube great but I also only have a 5 inch screen, so how the gently caress would I even notice SD vs HD? Email, great. Maps, great. Awful app, great. Snapchat, great. Upload every single photo to Dropbox, great.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 24, 2014

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
8mb is pretty fast for use with a smart phone unless you plan on running torrents. I don't even think Netflix's HD streams are that high of a bitrate. I've had AIO/Cricket for 3 months and it's really good and can stream the jazz radio app for me which is one of the most unreliable streaming apps.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

carb0nex posted:

I used to get 20+ on HSPA+ in speedtests on Net10 (so Straight talk). I only get 4 on Cricket, but web browsing feels much faster since I'm not waiting so long for data and there aren't random times where my data just wouldn't work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geoj posted:

From your my T-Mobile account main page go to view/edit autopay settings, then edit extra services > add extra funds (minimum $10.)

This is old, but I finally figured it out. Turns out TMobile updated the autopay system and I was still enrolled into the old one. Deleted that, redid all my settings, and now I'm good.

It's even better now. Before you paid on a certain date each month, but you only paid for 30 days, so the day your account renewed would slowly shift. Had to update the date every nine months or so to not be late.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So does cricket currently not offer any sort of data only (tablet) service or am I blind?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

tonic posted:

So does cricket currently not offer any sort of data only (tablet) service or am I blind?

It looks like they removed it. When it was still Aio they definitely had one up there for ~$15/month.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Hello thread! I just want to get a second opinion since the OP doesn't look to be up to date and I don't want to mess anything up with my phone.

I have an iPhone 5c that I bought from verizon, and it turns out that I'm not actually under a contract so I'm removing myself from my family's family plan because it is disgustingly expensive. I was looking to use some prepaid plan with minimal minutes (I call very infrequently and the majority of those people also have iPhones) and some where around 2gb of data because I have a gross compulsion to look at google maps when I walk around which has only been increased by me moving to a new place.

My issue is I would like to keep my number AND possibly have not terrible data (preferably 4g since LTE seems impossible. But really I can settle for 3G). Is this possible with AIO? Cricket? I'm not able to do any real research just yet as I am looking at all this from my phone (internet people haven't come by yet today...) so any help would be much appreciated!

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 3, 2014

MisterFreshman
Aug 30, 2008
My wife has Straight Talk and is really unhappy with her Galaxy Centura. I was looking at getting her an S3 or S4 as a suprise, but can't seem to find while shopping online if either use Verizon network or not. She is really concerned about having good service in our rural area and the only carrier with it is Verizon. So simply, does either the S3 or S4 on Straight Talk use Verizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I am finding myself in need of a second line for a home business. I have an old HTC Incredible for Verizon sitting in a drawer gathering dust. It'll be getting most calls forwarded from Google Voice, and sitting on my desk/in my shop at home, so it'll always have Wifi coverage. Does anyone have any experience with BYO Wireless? They seem rather similar to Ting, but use Verizon's phones and networks instead of Sprint. I can't see using more than a 200 minutes a month, and I don't really need data/text, since most of the use is through Google Voice and it'll most likely never leave my house. Looks like I'd be using their $15/month plan, which would be plenty for my needs at the moment. Most of my work is done via email/text, but sometimes people just want to talk on the phone.

I've been using my personal cell with Google Voice for this, but I'm getting frustrated with the randomness of it. It seems like sometimes it doesn't ring through, doesn't notify me of texts, but more importantly when it does ring through, it's a crapshoot whether the caller gets my personal voicemail or my Voice voicemail. Being able to keep track and get transcriptions of voicemails easily is honestly the only reason I use Google Voice, hence why I'd like a separate line even for the Voice number.

• Locked thread