Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Its kind of silly to ignore released games from the timeline when there is no indication for doing so. They aren't even surprised to see Wesker there in Lost in Nightmares. The cutscene just shows him standing over the body. In Code Veronica X, Chris literally tells Wesker, "Next time."

Never played LiN since I'm on PC. In RE5 Chris just explains to Sheva that "While chasing down Umbrella, he got a tip from a reliable source that Wesker was still alive, and they had to go check it out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

In Code Veronica X, Chris literally tells Wesker, "Next time."

I like Resident Evil because in any other game I would roll my eyes at how lame this is, but in Resident Evil I'm all "gently caress YEAH next time!"

All the one-liners trigger my Schwarzenegger Response, which is a made-up term I just created to describe why when one person says a cheesy one-liner it is loving amazing and hilarious, and when someone lame says the same thing, it's stupid.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 18, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I like Resident Evil because in any other game I would roll my eyes at how lame this is, but in Resident Evil I'm all "gently caress YEAH next time!"

Haha, Chris Redfield is serious about beating dat rear end.

Rookersh posted:

Never played LiN since I'm on PC. In RE5 Chris just explains to Sheva that "While chasing down Umbrella, he got a tip from a reliable source that Wesker was still alive, and they had to go check it out."

Its a little different. He states that since Rockford Island happened, they have been tracking down Wesker and they went to ask Spencer where Wesker was.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I can just imagine Chris angrily lifting weights and popping proteins at the gym, always muttering "Next time..."

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I remember going through Salazar's castle gave me a lot of video game anxiety the first time I played through RE4. Once I made it to the military base, I had embraced the ridiculous nature of the game, but before that I still thought it was survival horror. I thought I was in for some serious poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Salazar's Right Hand was kinda freaky maybe.

Also I do kinda get a little uneasy during the part witH Ashley where the knigths come after her. Just because it's all dark and all you hear is the clanking sound of doom as you run your useless rear end away, knowing that if they catch you you are dead. I guess Horror is the feeling of powerlessness and obviously you aren't going to feel powerless as Leon motherfucking Kennedy but as a dumb rich girl with a flashlight? Yeah, things get a bit more tense.

Ashley always made me think of Heather from SH3... Not nearly as useful or anything but just in terms of look and then the whole flashlight thing made me draw the parallels even more.

Excels posted:

I can just imagine Chris angrily lifting weights and popping proteins at the gym, always muttering "Next time..."

All that muscle didn't help much. It's kinda like Krauser vs. Leon in that regard. Krauser has to be the most absurdly ripped dude in the franchise and he still lost to Leon.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 18, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NikkolasKing posted:

All that muscle didn't help much. It's kinda like Krauser vs. Leon in that regard. Krauser has to be the most absurdly ripped dude in the franchise and he still lost to Leon.

That is because Leon tapped into the power of Anime.

No one could have seen that coming.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is because Leon tapped into the power of Anime.

No one could have seen that coming.

The level of bishonen in Leon's hair is off the charts. I'm surprised there wasn't a bonus weapon that let you replace the knife with a gigantic sword (which takes up most of your attaché case).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, Krauser was winning that fight until Ada intervened...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Krauser's knife is the source of his strength. Leon got whupped until the knife switch and then the last time you fight Krauser as Leon, he defeats him thoroughly so that Ada can finish him off.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Krauser's knife is the source of his strength. Leon got whupped until the knife switch and then the last time you fight Krauser as Leon, he defeats him thoroughly so that Ada can finish him off.

You can absolutely wreck Krauser with your own knife in the proper battle, despite him having a shield made of knives.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I never played Soul Calibur but in multiple LPs i've seen of RE4, people compare Krauser's final form to Nightmare. I guess Nightmare has a big shield thing and does a lot of backflips?

Anyway, it made me think - would you like an RE fighting game? Get to play as Mr. X versus Nemesis, or Super-Wesker and Krauser, etc..

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Uh. I think it may just be something arm-related. :v:

But to the other question? Hell, yes. Wesker and Chris in MvC3 were just the tip of the iceberg. :black101:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

NikkolasKing posted:

So I never played Soul Calibur but in multiple LPs i've seen of RE4, people compare Krauser's final form to Nightmare. I guess Nightmare has a big shield thing and does a lot of backflips?

Anyway, it made me think - would you like an RE fighting game? Get to play as Mr. X versus Nemesis, or Super-Wesker and Krauser, etc..

Give Jill flippy dumb ninja poo poo and a grenade launcher and make Rebecca the MvC2 Jill assist with the herbs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sadly they goofed and don't actually switch the knife model after that cutscene (at least on PS2/GC/Wii). :(

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

Give Jill flippy dumb ninja poo poo and a grenade launcher and make Rebecca the MvC2 Jill assist with the herbs.

Just rip all of Zangief's moves for Barry.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Just rip all of Zangief's moves for Barry.
Nah, Barry needs a mix of moves. Some from Gief, some from Hugo, and a little from Alex.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Nah, Barry needs a mix of moves. Some from Gief, some from Hugo, and a little from Alex.

And Hakan's taunt.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Commissar Ken posted:

And most importantly, make the boulder from RE5, and an evil version of it (Shin Boulder), unlockable characters.

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 19, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

And most importantly, make the boulder from RE5, and an evil version of it (Shin Boulder) unlockable characters.

Don't forget the Tofu.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm playing through the PC port of RE4 (The good one obviously :v:) and am I misremembering or did they change when you get the red9 stock? I don't remember it being available to buy at the same time as the gun itself.

Also playing RE5 on the triple all day with a friend and then playing this is loving weird. Those 30 extra frames really make a difference.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also playing RE5 on the triple all day with a friend and then playing this is loving weird. Those 30 extra frames really make a difference.

It's a shame Capcom never ported the Gold version to PC, since that has a lot of extra content. They also never bothered to put Move controls in the PS3 port of Resident Evil 4 :argh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm playing through the PC port of RE4 (The good one obviously :v:) and am I misremembering or did they change when you get the red9 stock? I don't remember it being available to buy at the same time as the gun itself.

Are the mouse controls as bad as people were saying they are? After playing the Wii version I've always wanted a mouselook option, but I heard that the mouselook in the new RE4 port is really, really bad.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Are the mouse controls as bad as people were saying they are? After playing the Wii version I've always wanted a mouselook option, but I heard that the mouselook in the new RE4 port is really, really bad.

Yeah it sucks still, even with an option to make the aiming more tight the freedom and quickness the mouse provides just is not compatible with the game and you'll move the camera far faster than Leon turns most of the time. I just use my PS3 controller.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah it sucks still, even with an option to make the aiming more tight the freedom and quickness the mouse provides just is not compatible with the game and you'll move the camera far faster than Leon turns most of the time. I just use my PS3 controller.

Is it something that could be fixed by radically lowering mouse sensitivity, or does the point Leon's aiming at lag behind the mouse?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nah you always got it at the same time, I remember always buying it as well as the Red9 (Just before the house invasion part)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ah, weird. Guess my memory was just acting up then.

A general question: Is the wii port of the REmake any good? I never owned a gamecube so I never got to play it. I only really ask because it's still kind of pricey, so I'd rather not waste my money if it has issues.

e: I guess I should clarify, I'm asking if the port itself has issues, not the game.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 19, 2014

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
The Wii port supports progressive scan, is on one disk instead of two and supports the GameCube controller. It's a better version in all ways except for maybe if you have a GameCube component cable, because the GameCube component cable puts out a sharper image than the Wii component cable, but it's still going to be interlaced.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah, weird. Guess my memory was just acting up then.

A general question: Is the wii port of the REmake any good? I never owned a gamecube so I never got to play it. I only really ask because it's still kind of pricey, so I'd rather not waste my money if it has issues.

e: I guess I should clarify, I'm asking if the port itself has issues, not the game.

The Wii version of REmake is completely fine, no problems.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The Wii port supports progressive scan, is on one disk instead of two and supports the GameCube controller. It's a better version in all ways except for maybe if you have a GameCube component cable, because the GameCube component cable puts out a sharper image than the Wii component cable, but it's still going to be interlaced.

I think the Gamecube supports 480p, but the problem is that the game forces 16:9 letterboxing, so the game is only rendered at 640x360. The Wii version supports proper widescreen, so it's higher resolution and you won't need to set your TV to crop the image.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

The mouse controls were bad when it first came out, but they patched in a 'modern' aiming option and I've had no problems with it since.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Neo Rasa posted:

Sadly they goofed and don't actually switch the knife model after that cutscene (at least on PS2/GC/Wii). :(

Actually IIRC Leon doesn't switch knives, he's just carrying two from then on and throws Krauser's to cut Ada down at the final boss fight. I am pretty sure of this, anyway.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I just checked out Resident Evil: Damnation, ready to hit my head on the wall and die inside, but I actually liked it, kinda lot actually. Like more than very recent big budget action movies, like Captain America 2 or X-Men Days of Future Past.

Like it is a stupid CGI-action movie that looks like a Gamecube FMV, but the pacing is good, there's some alright characterization, the story distinctly goes more japanese than Hollywood route, the action is kinda nice and even though it has some RE-monster fan service, it's in no way offensive and blends in seemlessly. There's very little cheese and it ends up being a kinda serious movie. Special points for the very rare type of a villain, a female blonde milf who is a president of a war torn eastern european country who used to be a military instructor and has some serious moves. I don't remember where I've seen that type of a villain and because it is CGI, it actually works and doesn't look or feel stupid or cheesy.

So yeah, surprised at that a bit. Definetly million times better than the live action ones, if nothing else. How many CGI-movies are there? Are they hot garbage or alright?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ManOfTheYear posted:

I just checked out Resident Evil: Damnation, ready to hit my head on the wall and die inside, but I actually liked it, kinda lot actually. Like more than very recent big budget action movies, like Captain America 2 or X-Men Days of Future Past.

Like it is a stupid CGI-action movie that looks like a Gamecube FMV, but the pacing is good, there's some alright characterization, the story distinctly goes more japanese than Hollywood route, the action is kinda nice and even though it has some RE-monster fan service, it's in no way offensive and blends in seemlessly. There's very little cheese and it ends up being a kinda serious movie. Special points for the very rare type of a villain, a female blonde milf who is a president of a war torn eastern european country who used to be a military instructor and has some serious moves. I don't remember where I've seen that type of a villain and because it is CGI, it actually works and doesn't look or feel stupid or cheesy.

So yeah, surprised at that a bit. Definetly million times better than the live action ones, if nothing else. How many CGI-movies are there? Are they hot garbage or alright?

I have seen the other one, Degeneration. That one was pretty good even though it reminds me of Resident Evil 2 a lot.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Special points for the very rare type of a villain, a female blonde milf who is a president of a war torn eastern european country who used to be a military instructor and has some serious moves. I don't remember where I've seen that type of a villain

Minus the presidency, that sounds like The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

I have seen the other one, Degeneration. That one was pretty good even though it reminds me of Resident Evil 2 a lot.

Well drat, I'll have to check it out. I don't know what is it vabout RE, the stories in the game are the flinsiest excuses for the premise and action, but the concept is starting to become pretty cool: There's an organization that sents agents around the world to stop the usage of biological weapons that make uncontrollable monsters while it's evident that they are fighting an losing battle, with the technology becoming more and more effective and available in few short years. After deployment, getting rid of the plagas/virus/whatever from the area is hard and basically pollutes the environment for a long while and is volatile to spread to other areas, and while being extremely dangerous, that weapon is so brutal that it pushes the politics around it - terrorists who use it versus the goverment and people it's used against - over the edge and the keeps the whole world on the edge.

It's basically logical continuation to the traditional "an military weapon experiment went wrong and made zombies" storyline, and it has great potential, and honestly I don't remember seeing many (or any) storylines going with this route. Basically you can make anything with that premise, something very serious and/or awesome action. RE of course takes the latter one, but still, going serious with this kind of stuff would be fun to see too.

Crashbee posted:

Minus the presidency, that sounds like The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3.

Yeah, the biggest difference was sexualization: The character in the movie was nothing offensive, just had curves and a short scene where she had a bra on, but The Boss is so clearly unsexualized that not many women characters are. Would love to see more characters like The Boss, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The CGI movies really do feel like cutscenes for a game that never was. Plus the CGI is hyper detailed, approaching uncanny valley levels at times. Like, what a real person from an anime would look like. I thought so anyways.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
However, RE6's cutscenes are of better quality than the movie. At least, I thought so, and I watched the movie while I was playing the game.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Well drat, I'll have to check it out. I don't know what is it vabout RE, the stories in the game are the flinsiest excuses for the premise and action, but the concept is starting to become pretty cool: There's an organization that sents agents around the world to stop the usage of biological weapons that make uncontrollable monsters while it's evident that they are fighting an losing battle, with the technology becoming more and more effective and available in few short years. After deployment, getting rid of the plagas/virus/whatever from the area is hard and basically pollutes the environment for a long while and is volatile to spread to other areas, and while being extremely dangerous, that weapon is so brutal that it pushes the politics around it - terrorists who use it versus the goverment and people it's used against - over the edge and the keeps the whole world on the edge.

It's basically logical continuation to the traditional "an military weapon experiment went wrong and made zombies" storyline, and it has great potential, and honestly I don't remember seeing many (or any) storylines going with this route. Basically you can make anything with that premise, something very serious and/or awesome action. RE of course takes the latter one, but still, going serious with this kind of stuff would be fun to see too.

Yeah, the biggest difference was sexualization: The character in the movie was nothing offensive, just had curves and a short scene where she had a bra on, but The Boss is so clearly unsexualized that not many women characters are. Would love to see more characters like The Boss, though.

The Boss, unsexualized? Her cleavage reaches to her navel and she is based on Charlotte Rampling, unsexualized she ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

codenameFANGIO posted:

Actually IIRC Leon doesn't switch knives, he's just carrying two from then on and throws Krauser's to cut Ada down at the final boss fight. I am pretty sure of this, anyway.

In the knife fight cutscene his own knife gets knocked away and disappears, after he and Ada are done talking he picks up Krauser's knife and is then immediately called by Saddler before progressing further. I just figured he had more than one but it was just weird because the scene makes it seem like that will be his knife now like an upgrade or something.

I love the knife so much in RE4 in general it's so awesome. I was glad they made it easy to use, in the demo build the knife (besides being third, different model from the ones in the game) takes up an inventory slot and you have to pause and equip it like in the old games that would have suuuuuucked.