Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

How the hell does that even happen? It just looks like sand or something there. The only thing I can even think of is if somehow the underside and nothing else looks like swiss cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

General_Failure posted:

How the hell does that even happen? It just looks like sand or something there. The only thing I can even think of is if somehow the underside and nothing else looks like swiss cheese.

The leaf springs jumped ship after a bad bounce, leaving the rear free to pursue other driveshafts?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

But a Lada Niva is a 5 link coil rear end! Thats a LOT of links to break!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd put my bets on structural rust of the various links, their mount points, a very poorly chosen tow/recovery point mounting location, and/or the catch-all explanation "Russia."

I think that about covers it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
apparently the mice wanted a ferris wheel

Unfortunately for them, my friend who found this in his clutch was having none of it and undid their hard work.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I wonder what that might have sounded like had the motor been cranked.

Hell, I wonder what it might have smelled like.

EDIT: :argh: I even had to correct it after I wrote "sounded" the first time.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 16, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

I wonder what that might have sounded like had the motor been cranked.

Hell, I wonder what it might have snelled like.

I doubt the car would be very snel at all.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

I think I may have found why my 245 won't start. Also, gently caress POs forever.

The wiring on these cars just fall apart on their own, until the '88 or '89 model year I think.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

The wiring on these cars just fall apart on their own, until the '88 or '89 model year I think.

It's an '89 so avoids the biodegradable harness. I thought it was just home-stereo wire but it could be factory. gently caress the PO of this car anyway; so many low-speed impacts to the front that it literally just fell apart when I looked at it funny one day, interior is filled with cat hair and dander from a stray they fed and took to the vet occasionally, decades of deferred maintenance on every suspension component.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 17, 2014

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That's the wiring for the crank position sensor, right? The blue stuff is just shielding, but it's normally hidden under the insulation, which usually gets crumbly and falls off due to a combination of oil, heat, and age.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I know anything from Harbor Freight is cheating a bit but..

They'll replace it without a fuss but I don't think I'll be using that set for anything but the lightest of duty stuff in the future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I know anything from Harbor Freight is cheating a bit but..

They'll replace it without a fuss but I don't think I'll be using that set for anything but the lightest of duty stuff in the future.

I've had GOOD ones of these do this. They just tend to have manufacturing flaws in them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The fracture makes me think there was a lot more stress on that one point where it was pressed into the socket adapter. I wonder if it's too tight a pressfit, or just a lovely fit and something was putting too much pressure there?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

The fracture makes me think there was a lot more stress on that one point where it was pressed into the socket adapter. I wonder if it's too tight a pressfit, or just a lovely fit and something was putting too much pressure there?

Maybe so. Perhaps that is why the high torque impact grade ones are single pieces instead of the bit insert type.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Terrible Robot posted:

I think I may have found why my 245 won't start. Also, gently caress POs forever.

I recognized that connector and thought "hey, a 240!" before I saw the corrosion mess. I still really regret selling my nice 1993 244 with Virgos for $2100, which I was lucky to get at the time. Now all I see are unregisterable shitboxes for $800 or someone with a pre-US-facelift model who thinks it's a collectors item and wants nine grand for the clapped out mess.

For content, I helped out a coworker last week who needed new front brake pads.

The heat coming off this wheel by the time she was parked in the driveway was unbelievable.

pants in my pants fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 19, 2014

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

M42 posted:

One of the cars in the freight line didn't get the stop signal.

This is from quite a ways back but my understanding is this is caused by a car with locked brakes coming to a stop on the tracks after being dragged a while. I don't think a train can even peel out. Maybe thats the joke...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Zahi posted:

This is from quite a ways back but my understanding is this is caused by a car with locked brakes coming to a stop on the tracks after being dragged a while. I don't think a train can even peel out. Maybe thats the joke...

Trains can totally peel out (haven't you seen sand systems that deposit sand ahead of the power wheels to increase traction?). And if it's a multi-engine train, and all the cars brake but one engine keeps on pushing, it can wear down in the tracks just like that.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Zahi posted:

It's pretty easy to spin metal to metal wheels with massive torque actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9PjW0rlWs

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sudo Echo posted:

See: friction welding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NIVUnk2kyw

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sudo Echo posted:

Is this dude literally rolling coal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Is this dude literally rolling coal?

At least he has an excuse.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Sudo Echo posted:

Isn't there a danger of something like this happening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E54HUQYeFNg

quote:

The engine driver tried to wind the valve gear back towards center, but the reverse wheel spun violently back to full forward gear and broke both his arms
:stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meanwhile on reddit..

It had a little rust..

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just use a couple 4"x4"s and some sheet metal screws to reinforce the frame rails.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Safety Dance posted:

Just use a couple 4"x4"s and some sheet metal screws to reinforce the frame rails.

A Porsche with a wooden frame? Call Richard Hammond...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Safety Dance posted:

And hang some keys on the screws as well for some reason.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

'cause you couldn't find washers.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Structural targa panel, Groverauto, etc.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

'cause you couldn't find washers.

Keys are just fancy washers! Use keys as washers to unlock their full potential.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Do machining disasters count? Yes, it's facebook but I don't know how else to share this video.

Facebook link

Guy on facebook posted:

So I was in Houston looking at a new machine for our shop. I was working with the service engineer running the machine through its paces, basically beating the crap outta the thing to see what it is capable of. We were taking cuts on the face up to .750 deep, huge o.d. grooves, tool changes, all that stuff. The sales dude kept bragging about the 3 speed gearbox that has a max RPM of 650. The part in the chuck is roughly 7500lbs, machine has a 1600mm chuck just to give you an idea of scale. We were ramping up to 600 when this happened. At about 500 rpm she let loose. I thought I was dead. I thought for sure the service engineer was dead. The 90,000lb machine was moved about 6in. and every piece of sheet metal had to be replaced. Turns out, upon initial set up, they forgot one chuck key and determined that the one jaw slid out enough for the part to come flying out. In the end, the damage was completely cosmetic.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
:stonk:

That's a VTL correct?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy

loving

poo poo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy

loving

poo poo

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jesus christ :stonk:

I never want to be in a room with that much rotational energy storage. Ever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy

loving

poo poo

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't think my brain is properly appreciating the scale of that thing.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Imagine 2 or 3 pickup trucks spinning at 600 RPM in that thing, then being thrown into the side of the machine.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fire Storm posted:

Do machining disasters count? Yes, it's facebook but I don't know how else to share this video.

Facebook link

:catstare:

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Not too horrible, but this is what a decade of cavitation looks like.

Pump came out of a media filter for a cooling water sump (think of it as a really big pool filter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SocketSeven posted:

Imagine 2 or 3 pickup trucks spinning at 600 RPM in that thing, then being thrown into the side of the machine.

I did not catch the 7,000 pounds bit the first time around. :stonklol: