Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I like the book Eyrie better where it's this lengthy, suicidal donkey ride in the pitch dark up a sheer cliff just to get into the goddamned place. Like the most uninviting place imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.

SexyBlindfold posted:

At this point I'm imagining that Littlefinger/Sansa's arc won't even need any additional dialogue, the next episode will simply be peppered with shots of Eyrie lords flying down the chute. Tyrion and Oberyn discuss the details of the duel, Ser Galahad of Whatever goes down the chute. Dany discovers what it REALLY means to rule by offering to coach for a down-on-its-luck Mereenese hockey team, Lord Johnny Lordly goes down the chute. The Hound delivers a heart-wrenching monologue on how much he loves to eat chicken, Robin Arryn goes down the chute.

I actually just laughed aloud at the thought of Dany giving Grey Worm a speech about never giving up ala Gordon Bombay, thank you for your bold predictions, good goon sir!

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I thought this episode was garbage personally.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Sorry, the other guy beat you to it.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Anyone who thinks Dany's story is dull doesn't remember Season 2. But yeah, it could be better.
I still want what I mentioned a year or so ago:

No more Dany episodes. No checking up on what's going on in Essos. Maybe a whisper of her from the small council, maybe not even that. Just forget her completely. Let the actress go film Terminator movies or something.

...then in episode 9, a group is marching up the Kingsroad on their way to "The Big Battle", all confident about smashing their outnumbered enemies, when there's a slight rustle in the bushes on the right and All loving Hell Breaks Loose. Three Dragons, finally fully grown, with riders*, come flying out of the sunrise with the unsullied not far behind, and lay waste to something we thought indestructible.
I'll welcome her back when that happens. Right now, she's just a timesink in a show that doesn't have time to spare each week. Her Masterstroke at Astapor was great fun, but that should have been about the end of it.

*Who's going to ride these dragons anyway? Back in Season 2, I was thinking Irri and Doreah were getting built up as the ones who were actually feeding and raising the Dragons, but that didn't work out so well

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Firstborn posted:

The guy who plays Jorah is such a great actor. He had(has?)a show where he plays a drunken police dude in a snazzy scarf who punches people and is generally told by everyone else what a drunk piece of poo poo he is while he solves weird crimes like people getting murdered by halberds. It's a great show.

Jack Taylor is an awesome show. We started watching a couple of years after GoT came out. Imagine our dumb faces when one of us said, 'hey, that guy looks familiar' I think Berristan Selmy was also in an episode.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
I find it funny that Hot Pie has had more airtime than Gendry. Hell, even Syrio has had more airtime by being mentioned this season.
I want the cliff hanger at the end of the season to be Gendry's boat finally landing ashore.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mide posted:

I find it funny that Hot Pie has had more airtime than Gendry. Hell, even Syrio has had more airtime by being mentioned this season.
I want the cliff hanger at the end of the season to be Gendry's boat finally landing ashore.

What the fucks a Gendry.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Littlefingers creep factor was off the charts drat

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fat_Cow posted:

SHE DIDN'T FLY SO GOOD.

Thank you so much for this.

Also, whose castle was Pyke again, I forget.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
drat. Loved this episode. Great character moments and while the show looks good at the worst times, I was particularly struck with how beautiful this one looked. The dungeon scenes were beautifully lit and the scene with Sansa in the snow had me in awe.

Last episode I was groaning about Dany heading back into boring territory, but I liked how hands on she was here. When Daario was introduced it seemed like a trite bad boy love story was in order, I like how she held the upper hand.

Also holy frig Hot Pie.

Dinklage continues killing it. The scene with Bronn gave a fair, but still touching conclusion to their friendship. And drat, the scene with Oberyn. Sure, you see the end coming a mile away, but it was great. I assume (haven't read past the second book but spoilering this for anyone who mistrusts speculation) he'll beat and kill the Mountain, since otherwise Tyrion won't live, but I wonder. As Tyrion would come out wanting payback but having nothing, an alliance with Oberyn to gently caress over the Lannisters seems in order, but the show's pulled the rug out from under me many times.

Good bonding with Arya and the Hound, Sansa getting feisty, Brienne and the Podster heading for the Eyrie... be nice if we finally, finally get some characters reuniting, though chances are slim.

God. I kind of hope next week is just one long duel.

Edit: someone mentioned Baelish should've gutpunched Lysa before shoving her, and now I can't stop laughing at the mental image of him doing a two-footed dropkick right after that final line.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 19, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Littlefinger is the leading cause of death amongst Westerosi lords.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

All
Lords
Must
Have
Life
Alert

Brought to you by maester pycell

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Basically, almost every drat thing that has happened is his fault.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

I really hope that when Brienne and Pod catch up to The Hound and Ayra, they don't just kill each other. They can start a family and Brienne can protect her by settling down.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So can Littlefinger marry Sansa now? Or is her marriage to Tyrion still binding?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Thank you so much for this.

Also, whose castle was Pyke again, I forget.

Pyke is the seat of house Greyjoy on the Iron Islands.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

MrBims posted:

- Old thread by a goon
That's great (I also didn't get :thejoke:).

The timing of this event from the books has passed, but, since they might still write it in later, I'll spoiler it: Jorah tells Dany that his former wife (whose demands/unhappiness ultimately caused him to flee Westeros, less Ned execute him for his crimes to afford her tastes) resembled her and that he has the essentially has the hots for her. On the boat Qarth -> Slaver's Bay, Jorah kisses her and suggests they marry. She rejects him.

Macaluso posted:

edit: Also, how high up IS the Eyrie? Is it situated on top of a like a cliff? The shots through the moon door we get is overlooking mountains as if it was from an airplane's perspective.
The books describe it as atop an outcrop on the largest mountain in the Vale (Giant's Lance), the last stretch is rough, poorly-maintained stairs carved into the mountain w/ one side to the wild blue yonder. The journey up/down is stated to take half a day under ideal conditions (impossible under bad conditions). There's only one way up, with a full-fledged castle and three waycastles along the way (Gates of the Moon, Stone, Snow, Sky). Gates of the Moon is the at the base and winter home to the Arryns (snow/wind/storms make the Eyrie too dangerous to resupply/inhabit during winter). Stone is at the treeline on the mountain, Snow is at the usual lower bound for "summer" snows (or frostline? where it'd be frosty on a summer morning?), and Sky before the final stairs ascent to the Eyrie (cited to be 600 vertical feet from Sky). So, all things considered by our world, I'd guess the Eyrie would be around 10,000~12,000+ feet (an altitude plausible for summer snows/half a day's journey). The Vale of Arryn (valley floor) is around sea level.

The main idea behind it is: without some sort of flying assistance, there is literally no way an army could possibly ever attack/lay siege to the Eyrie since from (I think) Stone onwards it is a single-file trail the entire way (with every stage having attacking vantage points on the lower parts of the path).

Stonefish posted:

The Eyrie, Season 4

This image is the more accurate show representation (IMO), but still greatly embellishes what's described as "by far the smallest castle of the great houses" (nevermind how piddly it'd look from thousands of feet below).

Hedrigall posted:

I like this version of the Eyrie:

More Westerosi castles here, no spoilers: http://imgur.com/a/rZ4AG
This looks pretty good to my mental picture (and that of the ASoIaF wiki article on it).

Cool images. His impression of Dragonstone is a huge letdown compared to my mental image though (in which the castle is essentially built into the island and occupies ~all of it that is not volcanic mountain). Something more like this:

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

bUm posted:

Cool images. His impression of Dragonstone is a huge letdown compared to my mental image though (in which the castle is essentially built into the island and occupies ~all of it that is not volcanic mountain). Something more like this:

Myst Island?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Poor Sansa, even the sweet release of death ripped away from her so she can be tortured and used some more

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fast Luck posted:

Worst Mountain yet. Looks nothing like the previous Mountains. Looks like a 20-year-old overgrown baby.
Wanna say that to his face?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kat Delacour posted:

Poor Sansa, even the sweet release of death ripped away from her so she can be tortured and used some more

As lovely as things have been / continue to be for her, it could be worse.

I mean, just look at Theon's situation. Of course, unlike Theon, she's not really guilty of being a complete shithead, just kind of dumb earlier on.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

bUm posted:

The main idea behind it is: without some sort of flying assistance, there is literally no way an army could possibly ever attack/lay siege to the Eyrie since from (I think) Stone onwards it is a single-file trail the entire way (with every stage having attacking vantage points on the lower parts of the path).
Well, there's that bit about Climbing Spikes...

Pleasant Friend posted:

So can Littlefinger marry Sansa now? Or is her marriage to Tyrion still binding?
Innocent until proven guilty applies in Westeros, right? :)
No real reason it wouldn't be binding.

bar88537 posted:

I really hope that when Brienne and Pod catch up to The Hound and Ayra, they don't just kill each other. They can start a family and Brienne can protect her by settling down.
Lysa just got murdered, leaving the Vale in a panic. If Brienne or Sandor strolled up to the bloody gate, I don't know they'd even let them get close. I guess it all depends on whether people talk first or shoot first, because the three parties (Brienne, Sandor, Petyr) all seem to want roughly the same thing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Stonefish posted:

because the three parties (Brienne, Sandor, Petyr) all seem to want roughly the same thing.

They all want to make out with Sansa.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was too tired to watch last night's episode live, so I just finished it now.

:suspense: :aaa: :tviv:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I was kinda hoping that the point of Oberyn's story about seeing Tyrion when he was a baby was that he'd actually say to him that he was fighting both to avenge his sister, but also because he sympathises with him. I guess even by volunteering to be his champion he's tacitly doing that, but wanted him to say it explicitly even if it would've been expository. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Durzel posted:

I was kinda hoping that the point of Oberyn's story about seeing Tyrion when he was a baby was that he'd actually say to him that he was fighting both to avenge his sister, but also because he sympathises with him. I guess even by volunteering to be his champion he's tacitly doing that, but wanted him to say it explicitly even if it would've been expository. :smith:
What about "I wish TV shows and movies wouldn't talk down to the audience :colbert:"?

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Durzel posted:

I think it's more he wants Tyrion to trust him enough to be his champion by saying these things. There is reason enough for him to say 'no' to Oberyn, since he might feel that he would be betrayed and cut down by him for being a Lannister.

That's what I believe, anyway.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Fister posted:

He should just be known as "Ser Jorah of Fedorah" by now.

lold

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Eyrie is so weirdly deserted lately that she could probably put Robyn on her shoulders and carry him screaming to the moon door before anyone even noticed.

All the throne rooms are - they all feel like a PBS Masterpiece Theatre where they can't afford any extras.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Poor Sansa, none of her boyfriends ever pass the high heel test.

As for the 'your sister/Cat' debate, 'Cat' sounds cooler but 'your sister' has a higher emotional impact. A dude leaving you for your own sister is way more heartbreaking than him leaving for some 10/10 model.

Is it just me or did Dany's 2nd dress (post Daario fun time) look kind of unusual for her? She hasn't shown much skin since she left the Dothraki. I'm going to assume that it was a deliberate choice to symbolise... I don't know, something.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

What about "I wish TV shows and movies wouldn't talk down to the audience :colbert:"?
I just wanted Tyrion to catch a break. Dinklage is killing it, I can't imagine myself feeling so much empathy for another character :smith:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

uuuummm posted:

Is it just me or did Dany's 2nd dress (post Daario fun time) look kind of unusual for her? She hasn't shown much skin since she left the Dothraki. I'm going to assume that it was a deliberate choice to symbolise... I don't know, something.

It symbolized that she got some last night.

I hadn't really paid attention to it before, but it struck me during the last scene how much Lysa's actress sounded like Michelle Fairley as Cat Stark, which I thought was cool.

Malom
Dec 29, 2009
What'll happen if Brienne meets up with Arya and Sandor? Brienne vs Hound fight?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Malom posted:

What'll happen if Brienne meets up with Arya and Sandor? Brienne vs Hound fight?

Probably. However, they're both going to the same place with the same basic goal in mind. So as long as Brienne doesn't run her stupid mouth about honor and oaths and poo poo, I'm sure the Hound will let her join him at least as far as The Vale.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

TunaSled posted:

Then there's Robyn standing right behind her.

Time works the same way.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Irish Joe posted:

Probably. However, they're both going to the same place with the same basic goal in mind. So as long as Brienne doesn't run her stupid mouth about honor and oaths and poo poo, I'm sure the Hound will let her join him at least as far as The Vale.

Hmm, not sure that The Hound is still hell-bent on ransoming Arya at this point, or it seems like that is becoming less of a thing as their 'friendship' is developing. I think Brienne and Pod will run into them. Brienne will be all, "Sworn to return her to safety" and The Hound will be all, "She is safe. gently caress off" and then poo poo will get awkward[ly violent].

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Would Sansa falling out of the moon door even really a big drop for her? It's like 3 feet to a normal sized human.

Or maybe Carcetti is just short. Or both.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Also I like how none of the Lannisters or Starks or anyone really can find Arya, but apparently some fat ex-con and his buddy can track her down like loving Boba Fett.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The new Mountain sort of looks like a bigger version of Mark Addy. It's like King Robert has returned from the grave and boy has he been hitting the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

That DICK! posted:

Also I like how none of the Lannisters or Starks or anyone really can find Arya, but apparently some fat ex-con and his buddy can track her down like loving Boba Fett.

Those guys weren't looking for Arya, they were looking for The Hound. In the previous episodes, the Lannisters and friends were told of The Hounds general whereabouts, important to note the reports did not mention anything about The Hound having a traveling companion either. Nobody (with the exception of Hot Pocket and now Team Brienne) knows that Arya is alive (explained last night) or that she is with The Hound for that matter. Those clowns "finding Arya" was just because she was with The Hound. And they aren't telling anyone now so the mystery remains.

Edit: I like how they are developing The Hound's character without sacrificing his badassery. Usually, they intro a bad-as-gently caress character and tone him way down to make them more 'human'. So far, while humanizing The Hound, he still snapped that guys neck and killed him without barely any effort. Good times.

qxx fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 19, 2014

• Locked thread