Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

install fedora and become the neck beard you were born to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Awia posted:

install solaris and become the neck beard you were born to be

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
trying to find rpms for centOS or trying to recompile packages was a pain in the rear end so i switched to ubuntu

probably need to grow a longer neckbeard to boost my powers

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i use solaris everyday at work :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

saucepanman posted:

trying to find rpms for centOS or trying to recompile packages was a pain in the rear end so i switched to ubuntu

probably need to grow a longer neckbeard to boost my powers

it would be super cool if centos got updated packages more often

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Awia posted:

same

but just for some admin poo poo and mostly to use as a jump box to get to other machines which are all centos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Awia posted:

:(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

meanwhile shows up as charging in the power settings

Yep, so Ubuntu patches our poo poo and breaks it. Not GNOME's fault.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

As someone who spends about 90% of his development time cleaning up Debian-inherited messes, I seriously don't understand the endorsement for it that keeps getting cargo-culted around here. The whole point of Ubuntu was to polish up Debian and release it on a regular basis, and it still does that.

what you call "mess" I call "policy". you poo poo out half baked non-compliant packages for a hobby. once, for a few months, a startup paid you for this dubious service. you, and people like you, are the problem with ubuntu, shadowhawk. gently caress the community repos. seriously. such a loving cesspool.

ubuntu: if it isn't broken out of the box, there's a community package to break it later

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
p.s. shipping 6-month-old debian unstable doesn't count as "releasing" anything. it's already old and broken on day one, because debian's rolling release has been progressing while ubuntu faffs about with ad-supported desktops

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what you call "mess" I call "policy". you poo poo out half baked non-compliant packages for a hobby. once, for a few months, a startup paid you for this dubious service. you, and people like you, are the problem with ubuntu, shadowhawk. gently caress the community repos. seriously. such a loving cesspool.

ubuntu: if it isn't broken out of the box, there's a community package to break it later

i think youre expecting ubuntu to be freebsd

its not that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

scroogle nmaps posted:

i think youre expecting ubuntu to be freebsd

its not that

freebsd is plagued by a similar problem. only the core system is stable or supported. the "ports" system has historically been a casual, anything-goes playground. (maybe it has changed, i wouldn't know: I last saw a freebsd system "in the wild" in '06. and i was replacing it with linux even then.)

canonical supports a ubuntu core with a handful of items, and then you rely on basement-dwelling pocky-chewing dipshits with no guidance to cooperate enough to patch and package the other 40,000 packages

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

They've completely reworked the ports / packages on freebsd recently, and it works rather well. You don't have to build much at all and everything is signed. Most anything is just pkg add ____ and you're good.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

They've completely reworked the ports / packages on freebsd recently, and it works rather well. You don't have to build much at all and everything is signed. Most anything is just pkg add ____ and you're good.

ok so if you can get a time machine back to 1997 that will really help

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It's more full featured than I'm describing, but as with many things I just want it to work without messing with it much and it provides that. It's easy to update and solid, it'll tell me exactly which packages need to be patched and you can configure it for whatever. Mostly I don't like spending time janitoring computers and bsd lets me do that. If you want to track current you can download the head from svn as well. Now OpenBSD on the other hand is stuck in the stone ages and is still using cvs and so on.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lunix itt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

It's more full featured than I'm describing, but as with many things I just want it to work without messing with it much and it provides that. It's easy to update and solid, it'll tell me exactly which packages need to be patched and you can configure it for whatever. Mostly I don't like spending time janitoring computers and bsd lets me do that. If you want to track current you can download the head from svn as well.

i don't doubt any of it. it's just totally irrelevant. non-linux unix is dead.

for me, that was a painful realization, and a long time coming, but there you have it. no amount of wishing or hoping or praise will bring back freebsd and solaris

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 19, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Distributing working software is hard, because everybody knows that there's no such thing as "working software".

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Distributing working software is hard, because everybody knows that there's no such thing as "working software".

please don't post excerpts from the yum documentation

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

please don't post excerpts from the yum documentation

Why not?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

we cant afford for real projects to dip their standards that low

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

if you use yum -y do you pronounce it 'yummy'?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I like arch linux. Can someone tell me why it is bad?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Careful Drums posted:

Hey I like arch linux. Can someone tell me why it is bad?

because its a lunix

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
because they treat loving around with linux in its own right as a hobby, not a means to an end for getting actually useful poo poo done

basically they casually break core packages on the reg because they don't like the feng shui or some poo poo and expect you to follow a bunch of mailing lists to see it coming and then pick up the pieces when the whole thing goes tits up

stay the gently caress away from them

(otoh i haven't used arch)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. shipping 6-month-old debian unstable doesn't count as "releasing" anything. it's already old and broken on day one, because debian's rolling release has been progressing while ubuntu faffs about with ad-supported desktops
Ubuntu imports packages up to debian import freeze, which is 3 months into the development cycle. After that packages can be manually imported. It's nowhere near 6 months old.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The arch wiki was the first one that actually helped with anything and it helped a lot. I don't think I'd want it as a server though

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

man I don't blame you for getting so mad; there's some serious cognitive dissonance between reality and your world view

like here you were thinking debian's standards were perfect and that the political model of having 1000 separate maintainers who can each veto constructive changes must be the one true way

then reality comes and they can't ship a useful version of wine for years, half of them defect to double as Ubuntu developers, and major important architectural changes like the multiarch transition lag 2 whole years behind Ubuntu

So then you fall back on the "standards" argument. Blind compliance to "standards" was the original justification behind splitting Wine into 12 different packages with names like libwine-oss that had to each be manually installed if you wanted arbitrary apps to work. For actual human users, though, just about every interesting app would break entirely due to this "helpful" feature. And why does this standard exist in Debian? So system administrators who knew exactly what they were doing could theoretically save about 15 kb of disk space by reducing the installation footprint of software that upstream never intended to be split.

I'm sorry but that's really stupid. But, again, you have my sympathies. It's not easy to have your worldview shattered, especially when it was a very well ordered one.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

man I don't blame you for getting so mad; there's some serious cognitive dissonance between reality and your world view

like here you were thinking debian's standards were perfect and that the political model of having 1000 separate maintainers who can each veto constructive changes must be the one true way

then reality comes and they can't ship a useful version of wine for years, half of them defect to double as Ubuntu developers, and major important architectural changes like the multiarch transition lag 2 whole years behind Ubuntu

So then you fall back on the "standards" argument. Blind compliance to "standards" was the original justification behind splitting Wine into 12 different packages with names like libwine-oss that had to each be manually installed if you wanted arbitrary apps to work. For actual human users, though, just about every interesting app would break entirely due to this "helpful" feature. And why does this standard exist in Debian? So system administrators who knew exactly what they were doing could theoretically save about 15 kb of disk space by reducing the installation footprint of software that upstream never intended to be split.

I'm sorry but that's really stupid. But, again, you have my sympathies. It's not easy to have your worldview shattered, especially when it was a very well ordered one.

ShadowHawk Was Right

debian people get pissed because they have a giant standard that works for nobody but get mad when people criticize because ITS A STANDARD

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Q. What is the point of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

A. This answer has its own wiki page, see Debian GNU/kFreeBSD why.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

ShadowHawk Was Right

debian people get pissed because they have a giant standard that works for nobody but get mad when people criticize because ITS A STANDARD

the key thing is that if you don't like a standard, you don't just poo poo out a substandard package, upload it, and call it a day. you have to, you know, convince other people it's a good idea and discuss it in appropriate venues and fix the standard

ubuntu's community repos mop up all the people too stupid or obstinate to meet the (minimal) qualifications to upload to debian

idiots who just can't work with others

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its almost as though people working on a hobby project arent interested in dealing with that bs

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the key thing is that if you don't like a standard, you don't just poo poo out a substandard package, upload it, and call it a day. you have to, you know, convince other people it's a good idea and discuss it in appropriate venues and fix the standard
Or I could, you know, spend my time actually writing software and publishing it in a place with smarter organizational structure.

quote:

ubuntu's community repos mop up all the people too stupid or obstinate to meet the (minimal) qualifications to upload to debian

idiots who just can't work with others
Debian's entire social system is designed to avoid working with others by dividing up everything into fiefdoms. Ubuntu's forces us to work together.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Progressive JPEG posted:

its almost as though people working on a hobby project arent interested in dealing with that bs

Then they shouldn't have launched and maintained OpenSSL! am i right? right?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ubuntu and Debian are both terrible. Why doesn't Wine themselves publish binaries for Linux? Is it an actual real amount of work for you, ShadowHawk?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Or I could, you know, spend my time actually writing software and publishing it in a place with smarter organizational structure.

lol what software do you write

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ubuntu and Debian are both terrible. Why doesn't Wine themselves publish binaries for Linux? Is it an actual real amount of work for you, ShadowHawk?
This is sort of a weird question as the Wine people think of me as The Ubuntu Guy and the Ubuntu people think of me as The Wine Guy. I really am a member of both projects.

If you meant "Linux in general", it's because the binaries really do need to be built differently for each distro due to differences in the 50+ dependencies and so on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sure, but why can't that be automated and written by the Wine team? It can't be more than an hour of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you're a community contributor to ubuntu. you're a "member" only in the sense that anyone with an e-mail address can sign up for launchpad.