Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

precision posted:

So in the books, Jorah is GRRM's self-insert, is what I'm getting here.

Jorah is a bad rear end knight who's killed tons of people, so not really. What does being hairy have to do with anything anyway?

He is a middle aged dude "in love" with a teenager though, no question about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It just clicked with me that The Hound will once again be denied his ransom because of murder. I don't think he's going give Arya over to Littlefinger. Though, Littlefinger might be the one in danger if he did.

He did kind of imply he's changing his mind after he said "no reward is worth this", or at least he's moving that direction.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

AMReese posted:

He did kind of imply he's changing his mind after he said "no reward is worth this", or at least he's moving that direction.

Yeah, that and Littlefinger seems like the kind of guy that would send Sandor into a rage that would be the end of every chicken in the Vale.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

All
Lords
Must
Have
Life
Alert

Brought to you by maester pycell

Petyr Morghulis: All Lords Must Die

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

doverhog posted:

Jorah is a bad rear end knight who's killed tons of people, so not really. What does being hairy have to do with anything anyway?

You'd think being a hairy dude from "Bear Island" he'd want Daario for his cub, or mix it up and go for some nice smooth Otter action with Gray Worm (though I guess the latter is a wash if he's a bottom bear).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

It just clicked with me that The Hound will once again be denied his ransom because of murder. I don't think he's going give Arya over to Littlefinger. Though, Littlefinger might be the one in danger if he did.

I like how the Hound's eyes have gone from "weary and murderous contempt of everything" to "weary and kind of a sad guy whose only friend is a teenage psychopath that wants to kill him" without actually changing. The actor is selling his arc really well.

I can't wait until Jon meets Arya again.

:v: So have you been practicing your swordplay?
:j: Oh yes, dear Brother. Oh yes.

precision fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 19, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I saw it as demonstrating Oberyn sincerely is a great guy who knows honor and fairness. Taking him saying "I didn't see a monster. I saw a baby" was his way of saying that tyrion is seen as the human he is, not as a dwarf that seems to scare everyone so much so they exaggerate his deformities. At a time like this tyrion had to have loved hearing he has a friend.

Red viper can't be cooler to me. He steals every scene he's in and he comes off so wise and so caring while being incredibly intelligent and supposedly a badass.

God I hope he's good enough to take on the mountain

Tywin/Cercei are kind of hosed though when it comes to getting rid of Tyrion. Dorne has Myrcella in "safe keeping", and if something happens to Oberyn (who remember is brother to the ruler of Dorne) then "something" could easily happen to Myrcella as well - especially if the Mountain is the one that does the deed. The Lannisters can't really afford to piss off Dorne too much.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I got the feeling we got what amounts to a sendoff for the Bronn character, which makes me a little sad.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

I can't wait until Jon meets Arya again.

:v: So have you been practicing your swordplay?
:j: Oh yes, dear Brother. Oh yes.

We both know the Starks will never see each other again.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

We both know the Starks will never see each other again.

Or if they do, their happiness will be quickly replaced by a sword through the belly. If you want the Starks to be happy, you've come to the wrong place!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I got the feeling we got what amounts to a sendoff for the Bronn character, which makes me a little sad.

Just give me a scene in the epilogue of the last season with Lord Bronn sitting on a throne with a few giggling whores running around and a giant mug in one hand.

SOMEONE needs a happy ending.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

precision posted:

Hot Pie

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

Just give me a scene in the epilogue of the last season with Lord Bronn sitting on a throne with a few giggling whores running around and a giant mug in one hand.

The series ends with Hordor and Bronn bro-ing it out, the only people alive in Westeros besides whores (now the safest people in the world with Joffrey dead).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The series ends with Hordor and Bronn bro-ing it out, the only people alive in Westeros besides whores (now the safest people in the world with Joffrey dead).

"Hodor, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AMReese posted:

Please, have this end with the Hound on the road with both Arya and Sansa. Him dealing with two bickering sisters, one of whom wants to kill everyone and the other now being totally convinced he's a lovely dreamy knight after all.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It goes for most of the actors in GoT, but Jerome Flynn is so drat charismatic. I started watching Ripper Street for a while just because of him. I do feel like this is the best kind of sendoff his character could get, though - he got a better offer, but feels just a little bit bad about it.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
His last handshake with Tyrion was heartbreaking. :smith:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
My favorite scene was Hot Pie picking up a stool to tell Brienne and Pod all about gravy. The look those two gave each other. I never knew this show could be so funny.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
They need to put Sansa's snow-Winerfell in the next opening.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Remote User posted:

What's the point? No moon door.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

So let's say Oberyn manages to defeat The Mountain in the trial by combat. What the hell would Tyrion do after that? He's obviously not gonna stay in King's Landing or go to Casterly Rock.

Also I like how much Oberyn vs. The Mountain is a lose-lose situation for the Lannisters, bringing Oberyn into the mix really screwed up ol' Tywin's plans even more than they already were when Tyrion went off-script during the trial.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

ironlung posted:

So let's say Oberyn manages to defeat The Mountain in the trial by combat. What the hell would Tyrion do after that? He's obviously not gonna stay in King's Landing or go to Casterly Rock.

Also I like how much Oberyn vs. The Mountain is a lose-lose situation for the Lannisters, bringing Oberyn into the mix really screwed up ol' Tywin's plans even more than they already were when Tyrion went off-script during the trial.

He could travel the Essos and try to carve out a life there. He's certainly smart enough to work at the iron bank at the very least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oberyn defeats the Mountain, then a bunch of Dornish cruise into King's Landing and kill Tywin and Cersei. Tyrion is spared for obvious reasons, and he convinces Oberyn to spare Jaime as well. Bronn, Jaime, Oberyn and Tyrion become the cast of the next Final Fantasy game.

And then they all hug!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Azzents posted:

He could travel the Essos and try to carve out a life there. He's certainly smart enough to work at the iron bank at the very least.

When you put it like that, it seems obvious where this is headed... Tyrion going into exile across the pond and eventually joining up with Dany.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

precision posted:

Why do people think it's creepy for Littlefinger to like Sansa but not for Jorah to like Dany, Jorah seems older than LF for sure and Dany is younger than Sansa for sure as well.

e: wait no, Dany is 2 years older right? Sansa was 14 and Dany was 16 in season 1. Still, Jorah's like 45 and LF seems 40 maybe

Both are creepy, but only one of those dudes is an position of power over the young girls they're weirdly into. Jorah is pining for Dany, but he respects/fears/loves her too much to be a threat (plus she has other allies and dragons). Sansa is pretty much at Littlefinger's mercy, and he has orchestrated events to make her think he's her only friend.

Which does leave the delicious notion that if Sansa ever does find out what Littlefinger did, she is gonna loving snap. Sansa is too much of a Stark to not have knifed someone yet.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Also Baelish is projecting Cat onto Sansa something fierce. I was getting creeped that Baelish was violating Sansa's personal space, but then he said he could have been her father in another lifetime. So I was like, yeah, ok, he's not gonna... oh god.

Jorah is Dany's advisor and he will be nothing more and nothing less. And Daario bangs her, while we all wish old Daario was banging her instead.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Great episode overall - Dinklage keeps bringing the goods. Should be a lock for Emmy as far as I am concerned. Oberyn is fast becoming a favourite of mine as well. I'm not that interested in Daenerys either, but ever since the first season I have kind of accepted her storyline as a "necessary evil that might grow into something interesting later on". Season 4 now, and while there have been moments, ultimately her character just isn't that interesting. The only good thing about her arc is the relationship between her and Jorah ( because - to be honest - I really like the actor portraying him ).

Littlefinger, on the other hand, is becoming such a force of nature within the "game of thrones" that I might have to watch the whole series again just to see his character's progress ( knowing what I know now ).

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Remote User posted:

I hope the DVD box will have a two hour special on how she built that.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

ironlung posted:

When you put it like that, it seems obvious where this is headed... Tyrion going into exile across the pond and eventually joining up with Dany.
Hmm... or he could go to Stannis, and fight against against his family and King's Landing that way.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ironlung posted:

Which could be interesting - Tyrion as the brains of the operation, and the Martells (who are probably the most sympathetic house to the Targaryens) allowing Dany to use Dorne as the beachhead for an invasion.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

AMReese posted:

Hmm... or he could go to Stannis, and fight against against his family and King's Landing that way.

Stannis might have a soft spot for him given his daughter, but I don't think it seems like a good fit overall. I mean, Tyrion did completely ruin Stannis's invasion plans, and he killed Davos's son. Plus, I doubt Tyrion's all that eager to go from a dungeon to a miserable island where he's liable to be burned alive for not believing in a god of madness.

Sailing over to Essos seems like a better idea, or at least heading off to Dorne.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

precision posted:

Oberyn defeats the Mountain, then a bunch of Dornish cruise into King's Landing and kill Tywin and Cersei. Tyrion is spared for obvious reasons, and he convinces Oberyn to spare Jaime as well. Bronn, Jaime, Oberyn and Tyrion become the cast of the next Final Fantasy game.

And then they all hug!

...and the White Walker King's heart melted three times that day and Spring came to Westeros forevermore!

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Stannis might have a soft spot for him given his daughter, but I don't think it seems like a good fit overall. I mean, Tyrion did completely ruin Stannis's invasion plans, and he killed Davos's son. Plus, I doubt Tyrion's all that eager to go from a dungeon to a miserable island where he's liable to be burned alive for not believing in a god of madness.

Sailing over to Essos seems like a better idea, or at least heading off to Dorne.
Or, say that he was the mastermind behind all of that, and why not use that mind to defeat the Lannisters?

If it worked for Jia Xu killing Dian Wei and Cao Ang, Cao Cao's personal bodyguard and son respectively, and he became Cao Cao's adviser later.

Yes, I've played a lot of Three Kingdoms games.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I think that Dorne is his safest bet. He's not going to be able to disappear, even in Essos. But he would be under Oberyn's protection if he went to Dorne.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Spartan421 posted:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Brienne/Pod and/or The Hound/Arya enter the Vale and Littlefinger is there instead of Lysa. Also what will Sansa do?

I imagine Sansa will do nothing, just like in the last three seasons.

precision posted:

Why do people think it's creepy for Littlefinger to like Sansa but not for Jorah to like Dany, Jorah seems older than LF for sure and Dany is younger than Sansa for sure as well.

e: wait no, Dany is 2 years older right? Sansa was 14 and Dany was 16 in season 1. Still, Jorah's like 45 and LF seems 40 maybe

I'm not a bookreader so I see Dany as an adult except when I happen to remember what people on the thread say.

But in any case there's the factor that Dany in acts like an adult, and Sansa acts like a child.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

If Oberyn fell in combat would the Dornish be upset? Its a fight he entered of his own volition, and an honourable death. That said I hope he does prevail otherwise we'd be losing one of the chillest characters on the show, and be left with Mountain 3.1 Pro.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

He looks like a grizzled Will Sasso.

THATS who the gently caress I kept on thinking that guy was. I couldn't place his name and I kept on thinking it was Larry the Cable Guy. Thank you.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Durzel posted:

If Oberyn fell in combat would the Dornish be upset? Its a fight he entered of his own volition, and an honourable death. That said I hope he does prevail otherwise we'd be losing one of the chillest characters on the show, and be left with Mountain 3.1 Pro.
I don't think they'd consider The Mountain honorable at all. Of course they'd be upset.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Plus, Dany's unquestionably in charge in that relationship/that entire continent, and Sansa is more or less completely powerless against Littlefinger's creepy advances.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AMReese posted:

I don't think they'd consider The Mountain honorable at all. Of course they'd be upset.

Picking The Mountain as your champion is like all those assholes who picked M. Bison in SF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

AMReese posted:

Or, say that he was the mastermind behind all of that, and why not use that mind to defeat the Lannisters?

If it worked for Jia Xu killing Dian Wei and Cao Ang, Cao Cao's personal bodyguard and son respectively, and he became Cao Cao's adviser later.

Yes, I've played a lot of Three Kingdoms games.

Yeah Stannis might consider using Tyrion, but he also wouldn't let any of that poo poo go. Davos was just a smuggler and literally saved both Stannis and his defense against a siege, dude still got the chop. What would Tyrion get? What would he get at his first failure?

Tyrion is loving off to Dorne or Essos.

Ersatz posted:

I think that Dorne is his safest bet. He's not going to be able to disappear, even in Essos. But he would be under Oberyn's protection if he went to Dorne.

I dunno, I think he can disappear in a crowd quite nicely.

• Locked thread