Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also it's supposed to have a maximum of 5 shots per engagement, but Banpresto just decided to give it 6 for some reason. (Nevermind that it fires two shots per attack when in Destroy mode.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So after watching episode 7 of Unicorn I'm expecting some pretty good crossover material between it and 00. The real question is if they let us use the Banagher Unicorn hybrid and the ELS Qan[T] for multiple stages or they just make them show up for the last stage like the Nirvash spec 3 or the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pureauthor posted:

Also it's supposed to have a maximum of 5 shots per engagement, but Banpresto just decided to give it 6 for some reason. (Nevermind that it fires two shots per attack when in Destroy mode.)
Yeah it's hilarious that the reload animation is even in the attack during NTD mode and there's no where near enough clips to support the 6 default shots.

I like to think some upstart just said "a magnum has 6 shots traditionally right?!" and slapped on a 6. I still love it either way.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah it's hilarious that the reload animation is even in the attack during NTD mode and there's no where near enough clips to support the 6 default shots.

I like to think some upstart just said "a magnum has 6 shots traditionally right?!" and slapped on a 6. I still love it either way.

Banagher should totally have had a Dirty Harry moment regarding this 5 shots or 6 bit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are there even any units in Unicorn with i-fields? Without i-fields (or that ridiculous shield that GP02 had) I don't see what a more powerful beam rifle even gets you, since normal beam rifles can pierce basically anything in UC (which is one of the reasons I like UC so much).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are there even any units in Unicorn with i-fields? Without i-fields (or that ridiculous shield that GP02 had) I don't see what a more powerful beam rifle even gets you, since normal beam rifles can pierce basically anything in UC (which is one of the reasons I like UC so much).

rip delta plus elbow joint :911:

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 19, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Unicorn does make a point of showing the various intensities of beam weapons that don't show up in most up stuff.

A lot of suits can take a shot or two from rapid fire weapons without being trashed, or can use their shields to soak a hit or two from even full powered rifles.

Nothing without an ifield soaks the beam magnum. If it hits the target the target is destroyed. Even if it misses it seems the the beam effect is actually larger than the shot itself, since a near miss in episode 2 wrecks a Geara Zulu.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
See also the Byalant Custom, which takes the exact opposite approach. Throw enough rapid-fire, low powered shots at something and you're bound to nail a vital component in short order. Or to touch off and blow the propellant!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, a few units have I-Fields or Psycho-Fields, including the Shamblo and Neo-Zeong.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anti-beam coatings of various intensities started becoming commonplace since the Hyaku Shiki. A whole lot of mobile suits are capable of soaking a beam rifle hit or two if it doesn't hit anything vital or even effectively tanking the shot on their shields. A Beam Magnum shot will go through the shield and the mobile suit behind it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Of course the point is all moot in SRW, where the strongest thing in the world is whatever happens to knock the enemy's HP down to zero.

Yeah that's right, vulcans > beams. :colbert:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

Anti-beam coatings of various intensities started becoming commonplace since the Hyaku Shiki. A whole lot of mobile suits are capable of soaking a beam rifle hit or two if it doesn't hit anything vital or even effectively tanking the shot on their shields. A Beam Magnum shot will go through the shield and the mobile suit behind it.

I'd like to take this moment to touch upon mobile suit shields and the way they used to work mechanically. In the original Gundam novel, they were very specifically described as one-time usage items. The shields had a reinforcing layer of structured metal that would essentially melt and lose its resistant structure on the molecular level after absorbing a single shot. So they would look the same outwardly, but be functionally useless after one use. In this sense, the Impact/MX/Advance shield upgrade system (upgrading # of uses) actually comes the closest to an accurate reflection of in-series mechanics.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Put a cartridge on the Unicorn. It deploys with one in episode two after all.

Caros posted:

Nothing without an ifield soaks the beam magnum. If it hits the target the target is destroyed. Even if it misses it seems the the beam effect is actually larger than the shot itself, since a near miss in episode 2 wrecks a Geara Zulu.
That's why its an ALL attack. Two birds, one mag.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 20, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but someone who can't read Japanese shouldn't try and figure out how much plot focus a show got.

It's not even hard to figure out, though? :psyduck: SRW deviates from the shows, but never to the point where they're just completely unrecognizable if you've seen them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They sure missed a golden opportunity with Mikage's cause/effect reversal attack. They could have just played the hit phase of the combat animation first, and the attack phase second.

edit: and had a new hit line for every ally to the effect of "what the gently caress?"

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

New Masou Kishin game coming this year?

http://gematsu.com/2014/05/masou-kishin-f-coffin-end-announced-playstation-3

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Please, no. I didn't even play 2 or 3 yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't people hate the last one?

I guess if we're going to get any official Asakim tiein, it's gonna be this game or bust.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Many years ago: Man, when are the Masou Kishin characters coming back? They were cool in Alpha Gaiden
Present day: God, when will this misery end!?

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't people hate the last one?
If I'm not wrong, they didn't hate it because they were sick of the story/plot etc. They hated it because it was hard and they offered DLC which gives you OP items and lots of money, which kind of taints the former point for people who might like that sort of thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well at least this will be the last one.

And if you believe that, I have a country I'd like to sell you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Starring Misaki, Asakim, Kisama, Mikasi, Iskaim, Kaimis, Kismas...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Davzz posted:

If I'm not wrong, they didn't hate it because they were sick of the story/plot etc. They hated it because it was hard and they offered DLC which gives you OP items and lots of money, which kind of taints the former point for people who might like that sort of thing.

As someone who actually really loves "hard" SRWs(F/FF are two of my favorite entries in the series), Masoukishin 3 isn't even the fun kind of hard, it's the extremely boring kind of hard that mandates you exploit in order to simply succeed.

Enemy attack power is unbelievably high relative to your defense and basic enemy grunts will two or three shot your burliest units, even with upgrades out the wazoo. This would be pretty cool to play around normally; positioning would matter a lot and you could use healthier people as body shields for people who had already taken damage, right? Well, no, because they decided to give pretty much every enemy range 1-5 or more post movement attacks, ensuring that they can attack whoever they drat well want. The actual intended way to deal with this is to exploit the idiotic AI which will, without fail or regard for hit percentages or relative damage dealt, dogpile on whatever the lowest HP target they can reach is. So you stack all your overpowered defensive items(of which you get basically none, meaning that stacking them is basically mandatory) on your chosen tank and have that person soak attacks from every enemy on the stage while everyone else picks the enemy apart.

It's a damned shame because I really love the Masouki pilots and the music in the game kicks rear end, but the game itself just sucks poo poo to play. Even Z2-2 at its easiest was more entertaining.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

8-Bit version of Lost Soldiers.

That wasn't bad at all but I'd like to find one for Sun of Sun! :dance:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So...about that new Masoukishin game...
Amara, you have some explaining to do.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008
I didn't even know Masoukishin 3 existed. I just found YouTube vids of it, and... are they using pre-rendered 3D as sprites? In the year of our lord 2014? Seeing that in HD feels like such a weird anachronism.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The recent Masoukishin games kind of are a weird anachronism honestly. Still, 2 was still pretty fun to play and the cast is generally fun to watch interact even if they are sort of terminally Anime.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

So...about that new Masoukishin game...
Amara, you have some explaining to do.

Forget that. How do you lose track of your own Elemental Lord?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Whoa whoa whoa they're making ANOTHER loving Masoukishin game? I mean I liked 2 but it looks like they still have those hideous 3D graphics and this is the 4th game!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Forget that. How do you lose track of your own Elemental Lord?
Probably a "unit that [X character] uses until returning to normal mech" type thing. For instance, Shu's going to start out piloting that new warship seen above in the announcement article thanks to Shu being his usual trolling selfthe Granzon being damaged. See here for more details. Or Tytti not having Goddess/Gaddess/whatever it's called is tied into the new character seen below, who uses a similar unit.

Also, Monica's getting both new character artwork (as is Saphine), plus a new Nors upgrade.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Dr Slouch posted:

I didn't even know Masoukishin 3 existed. I just found YouTube vids of it, and... are they using pre-rendered 3D as sprites? In the year of our lord 2014? Seeing that in HD feels like such a weird anachronism.

I don't have much of a problem with that since it's all in one style and everything is mostly even, animation-wise. It actually bothers me less than some animations in Z2/Z3 where some units got much more love than others. It's such a strange disconnect going from the Nu Gundam unloading it's entire arsenal with nice animation to whatever Gino does with the Tristan Divider's swords.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
The Tristan Divider might just be the worst animated unit in the last ten years of super robot wars.

He doesn't even move his lower body. Not that the Divider got much screentime in Geass, but it's a lightning fast transforming unit with swords, you could easily come up with a neat if generic animation. Instead he just rushes forward, turns into a plane jankily, terrible cut-in of him playing with the joystick like he's trying to do a barrel roll in Windows Flight Simulator, untransforms jankily, then waves his swords around like he's having a fit.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

For instance, Shu's going to start out piloting that new warship seen above in the announcement article thanks to Shu being his usual trolling selfthe Granzon being damaged.

I'm calling it right now: Shuu's going to use his SCIENCE powers to combine the ship and Neo Granzon into his ultimate death machine.

You know that's totally something he'd do.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 21, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

Probably a "unit that [X character] uses until returning to normal mech" type thing.

To clarify, the description says Tytti is piloting that new thing because Gaddess is missing. Which means somehow they lost track of an Elemental Lord.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Talking about Shuu while also playing Dark Prison made me inspired:

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

The Tristan Divider might just be the worst animated unit in the last ten years of super robot wars.

He doesn't even move his lower body. Not that the Divider got much screentime in Geass, but it's a lightning fast transforming unit with swords, you could easily come up with a neat if generic animation. Instead he just rushes forward, turns into a plane jankily, terrible cut-in of him playing with the joystick like he's trying to do a barrel roll in Windows Flight Simulator, untransforms jankily, then waves his swords around like he's having a fit.

Yeah, it's such a jarring lack of animation compared to most of the other units in that game. Z3 didn't have anything nearly as jarring, but it's still sad to see how some units were lacking in animation compared to others. Just compare the Unicorn NT-D Mode with anything from Endless Waltz for example. Though I understand that it's probably because Unicorn is a new entry and Endless Waltz is the go-to filler in several SRW titles.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Brunom1 posted:

Talking about Shuu while also playing Dark Prison made me inspired:

Thank you for providing me with a new favorite image of the month.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hokuto posted:

To clarify, the description says Tytti is piloting that new thing because Gaddess is missing. Which means somehow they lost track of an Elemental Lord.

Well Masaki has yet to do it but he can probably get so lost that he wouldn't know where he is or what happened to Cybuster.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Well Masaki has yet to do it but he can probably get so lost that he wouldn't know where he is or what happened to Cybuster.

In a twist, we find out that the Cybuster is the one getting lost and Masaki just gets dragged along.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Televisio Frankus posted:

Yeah, it's such a jarring lack of animation compared to most of the other units in that game. Z3 didn't have anything nearly as jarring, but it's still sad to see how some units were lacking in animation compared to others. Just compare the Unicorn NT-D Mode with anything from Endless Waltz for example. Though I understand that it's probably because Unicorn is a new entry and Endless Waltz is the go-to filler in several SRW titles.

It's not just the Tristan either, it's a noticable thing with a lot of the Code Geass units, particularly the Knights of the Round. These particularly give me the impression that recently Banpresto's got a newer, less experienced graphics team that got started doing some stuff in Z2 and then headed up UX and at least a significant portion of Z3, if not all of it. There's definitely been a notable decline on that front, and it's especially obvious since 2nd OGS looks much nicer than Z3 despite coming before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

It's not just the Tristan either, it's a noticable thing with a lot of the Code Geass units, particularly the Knights of the Round.
Eh, I think Suzaku looks pretty good?

• Locked thread