Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Blue Gangsta

http://www.mtv.com/artists/michael-jackson/

The original was a really awesome track, not sure I like this remix, as it were, but it's solid, if a little too sparse like A Place With No Name. I feel like some of these lose a great deal of the original song's intent or feel.

Overall it feels like more of a remix album than a realization of Michael's songwriting, which the Michael album at least attempted and partially succeeded at. I'll probably end up spinning the disc with the original versions more than the album proper.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Blue Gangsta is my least favorite of the bunch so far. Feels way too Timbaland hip-hopey for my taste... Will be fun to hear the original stuff.

Definitely agree though that (even without hearing the original stuff) that it does feel a lot like remixes and not really something Michael might release. Still, I think it's been pretty high quality overall and I don't think it feels tasteless or anything. Them releasing the originals is a classy move.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Album leaked. Slave To The Rhythm is so hot, holy gently caress. It sounds like classic MJ vocals on some fiya rear end new Timbaland beat and that's exactly what it is. My god, I love it.

e: Oh poo poo, Do You Know Where Your Children Are? is legitimately incredible too. This goes off.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 8, 2014

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
As much as some of the production can annoy me in places, I must say that I'm really happy about MJs vocals. They're up-front, easy to hear... And the performances are *great*.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Leinadi posted:

As much as some of the production can annoy me in places, I must say that I'm really happy about MJs vocals. They're up-front, easy to hear... And the performances are *great*.

Which really says something about MJ as a performer, considering these are all sourced from demos.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Forgot to mention, the instrumental for the original version of Xscape sounds like a Pretty Hate Machine b-side.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So after listening to the album a couple of times I'd say the only new version that sucks is Blue Gangsta. The new drums and percussion don't sit well in the mix at all, and the arrangement sounds really messy. The horns that kinda make the original version just disappear in the mush. It's too bad, especially considering the new version of Slave To The Rhythm, which Timbaland worked on as well, is really awesome.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I love how haunting and mysterious the original version of Chicago is. And Bad era is my favorite, so the demo of Loving You is just fantastic in that vintage 80s way.

I never realized the original versions of Do You Know Where Your Children Are and Slave to the Rythm were so different to the ones that leaked, either. This whole thing is awesome.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

So after listening to the album a couple of times I'd say the only new version that sucks is Blue Gangsta. The new drums and percussion don't sit well in the mix at all, and the arrangement sounds really messy. The horns that kinda make the original version just disappear in the mush. It's too bad, especially considering the new version of Slave To The Rhythm, which Timbaland worked on as well, is really awesome.

Agreed. I'm not a *huge* fan of the original of Blue Gangsta either, but at least there is a feeling of MJ wanting to do something special for it... Wanting to create something kinda evocative with the different instruments. I'm a fan of the accordion and piano in particular.

In comparison, the new version just feels... busy. They removed the interesting bits that made the track special and there is nothing in particular to replace them.

Really enjoy the album all in all though despite some things I don't like in the production. The songwriting is really strong overall. Great track selection.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHd1rLurxNk

Michael rapping most sickly on the Invincible LP.

Wish he had done more of this, one of the few rappers who were truly involved in the 70s R&B scene. He was such a goddamn vet by that time.

Listen to him rap about purchasing his dream sound equipment and testing it out while he worries about his relationship. It's some educated and emotional knowledge dropping.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 14, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

The Walking Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHd1rLurxNk

Listen to him rap about purchasing his dream sound equipment and testing it out while he worries about his relationship.

Basically my life.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG08ukJPtR8
The video for the duet version of Love Never Felt So Good went up today. I'm kind of torn between thinking the video is lame/unnecessary and a nice tribute. Justin Timberlake's in it performing his part but I guess no video exists of MJ singing this song and of course they couldn't get him to appear in the video, so they have extras singing his part and there's archival footage of him performing, shown on a laptop screen and various stages. And there's little homages to the Thriller and Billie Jean videos, too. Parts of it are real nice but then other parts just seem...hacky to me.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
So, a Michael Jackson hologram is going to perform Slave to the Rythm at the Billboard Awards. MJ always did try to be at the cutting edge of things and loved to innovate, as well as wishing to escape death by becoming immortal through his music, so it seems oddly fitting. I'm curious to see it, I guess.

What a time we live in. Wonder what else we'll see in our lifetimes.

oh, this happened already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql2tEO68QVc

radical

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 19, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
drat has hologram technology improved over the years. Way better than that lovely Japanese idol. Also, that song was pretty drat good. Classic MJ.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/18/5729866/michael-jackson-hologram-at-billboard-music-awards

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Michael probably *would* approve of this but aah... I dunno. I just find it so drat creepy somehow, and the face has a long ways to go before looking even remotely right. I also don't think the performance itself was anything particularly special aside from "omg, it's a hologram!"

I guess I'm old and grumpy or something. On another note, it's pretty drat cool to see so much interest generated for MJ even now, and most of it is really positive. I bet he would love that.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
The originals of Love never felt so good , Chicago and loving you are way more enjoyable.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
That hologram performance was something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The new version of Blue Gangsta has grown on me. The production on the bridge really brings his vocals to another level. Sends chills down my spine.

I'd say of the new mixes, Slave to the Rythm is the definite highlight, with my overall favorite track being Chicago, old and new versions. The only new mix that doesn't really sit right with me is Do You Know Where Your Children Are, it's just super repetitive and forgettable. The 2010 mix was far superior. The new version of Xscape is also really bland compared to the original, but it's also my favorite unreleased MJ song, so maybe I'm biased.

• Locked thread