Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

kiimo posted:

And that loving sucks because there's nobody left to root for once he's gone. He's the only protagonist unless you count John Snuh or the dragons. No I don't mean Khaleesi. HBO is going to have a hell of a time running a campaign next offseason if Peter Dinklage is gone.

You have to stop thinking about this story as one with a single protagonist. They're all "the main character" of their own story arcs. Jon, Arya, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Davos, Sansa, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

the kawaiiest posted:

You have to stop thinking about this story as one with a single protagonist. They're all "the main character" of their own story arcs. Jon, Arya, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Davos, Sansa, etc.

He said left to root for, as in he probably doesn't enjoy watching the stories of the other people as much.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I like GoT because I can sympathize with almost every character, or failing that, see things from their point of view. There's a total psychopath here and there too, of course.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Drifter posted:

He said left to root for, as in he probably doesn't enjoy watching the stories of the other people as much.

Oh I guess so, it just sounded to me like he meant no one for the audience in general to root for.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

If Oberyn gets beat I still don't see Tyrion getting Ned Stark'd, that would be pretty lame. Could Tywin still send him to the wall or exile him to Essos or is it auto death penalty if your champion loses in a trial by combat?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ironlung posted:

If Oberyn gets beat I still don't see Tyrion getting Ned Stark'd, that would be pretty lame. Could Tywin still send him to the wall or exile him to Essos or is it auto death penalty if your champion loses in a trial by combat?

The trial by combat is a matter of determining his guilt or innocence. He could still have whatever punishment Tywin orders.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drifter posted:

Sorry for the confusion, I work for the same studio as HBO, I meant in an advertising sense. I'll watch this show until it's nobody left but Hot Pie cooking in a kitchen talking about subpar cooks and slowly turning into Gordon Ramsay Bolton of medieval kitchens.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

kiimo posted:

Sorry for the confusion, I work for the same studio as HBO, I meant in an advertising sense. I'll watch this show until it's nobody left but Hot Pie cooking in a kitchen talking about subpar cooks and slowly turning into Gordon Ramsay Bolton of medieval kitchens.

I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I like GoT because I can sympathize with almost every character, or failing that, see things from their point of view. There's a total psychopath here and there too, of course.

Glad you added the last part or I'd have to ask if you see things from Ramsey's point of view.

Because that'd be horrifying!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Is there anything stopping Tywin from getting married to some other noble lady and pooping out more heirs or what? <:mad:> A third of the Lannister's problems would be solved if Tywin would pull his own weight and bang out some more babies, instead of screaming at his current kids to do the right thing according to him while he sits around being a bachelor and not making more heirs to Casterly Rock. It's not like he's barren, and every other character is currently in a loveless marriage of political convenience, so why should he be any different?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Despite his reputation as a pragmatic man, Tywin has a lot of issues and flaws. He was deeply devoted/in love with his wife and her death destroyed him, it seems he just can't bring himself to take another wife or have more children because that would in some way be disrespecting her memory.

Given how he keeps going on about duty and responsibility this makes him pretty drat hypocritical but that's really no surprise, and it's not like it isn't realistic to have a character who bangs on at people about their flaws while ignoring or remaining oblivious to their own.

SoFarGone
Nov 2, 2011
Living well is the best revenge.

Stonefish posted:

I thought we already agreed that the last scene would be Varys, sitting on the Iron throne, pulling his 14 inch dong out from between his legs.

These posts are fun an all, but we know how this is really going to end. We've seen it twice. Once in Dany's vision at the House of the Undying and again this season in Bran's vision at the weirdwood tree.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Christ the camerawork on this show is so static and bland most of the time. Other than the weightless, lingering pans over hot milf bodies, of course.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hmm yes, I'll just stand left of cneter and deliver my exposition, a little shot-reverse-shot but not too much so you can try to get something resembling a reaction in the middle of my plot monologue, and yup, I think we're good!

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

SoFarGone posted:

These posts are fun an all, but we know how this is really going to end. We've seen it twice. Once in Dany's vision at the House of the Undying and again this season in Bran's vision at the weirdwood tree.

Prophecies and visions in fiction always turn out exactly as expected with no room for interpretation.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I'm rooting for Tyrion and Davos to run away to Essos together, one for "killing" Joffrey, and the other for saving that little girl from her crazy rear end mom and Red Boobs. Go Team Sane, Mostly Decent Guys in Insane Settings. Obviously, they'd be accompanied by Brienne and Pod. Sansa and Jon can come too.

But Davos is probably not gonna survive this next defiance of the Red God's will :( Or worse, he'll be too late and then lash out.

Kinda think getting us this pumped for Oberryn means he's gonna die. Think he won't take Tyrion with him, though. Tywin can't afford to lose his heir (and I'm still dreaming of a Varys plan that even remotely matches Littlefinger's crazy plans, only nicer), so Tyrion will be spared, or escape, or 'disappear'. Perhaps he'll even end up as the Lord of Casterly Rock? They've been talking an awful lot about what will happen to the kingdom when Tywin dies....

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 20, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Otisburg posted:

You'd think being a hairy dude from "Bear Island" he'd want Daario for his cub, or mix it up and go for some nice smooth Otter action with Gray Worm (though I guess the latter is a wash if he's a bottom bear).

Enough of your furry fantasies, ugh!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Hedrigall posted:

Enough of your furry fantasies, ugh!

Those are references to the specific gay subculture of large hairy men, known as bears. :eng101: :thejoke:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Speleothing posted:

Those are references to the specific gay subculture of large hairy men, known as bears. :eng101: :thejoke:

Yes I know. It was :thejoke:

Also he got otters wrong. Grey Worm isn't an otter, he's a muscletwink.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hedrigall posted:

Yes I know. It was :thejoke:

Also he got otters wrong.

Wait what are otters then? And which GoT character would qualify?

This is important.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Otisburg posted:

Wait what are otters then? And which GoT character would qualify?

This is important.

Jorah is actually more of an otter, or maybe a red wolf.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Barristan is a slim polar daddy. The beariest bear in the show to date was Robert B.

Dany is such a Goldilocks.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

This whole season is bad. The writing is bad, the directing and because of that - the acting.

I'm really disappointed in this show now :(

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Jerusalem posted:

Despite his reputation as a pragmatic man, Tywin has a lot of issues and flaws. He was deeply devoted/in love with his wife and her death destroyed him, it seems he just can't bring himself to take another wife or have more children because that would in some way be disrespecting her memory.
Robert Baratheon was devastated about losing his wife but he did his duty and married Cersei anyway. :colbert: Tywin needs to nut up or shut up.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

dont change my name posted:

This whole season is bad. The writing is bad, the directing and because of that - the acting.

The beginning of the season really sucked (with the exception of episode 2). It's only starting to ramp up now, which is super disappointing. I feel like it almost should've just gone from episode 2 to episode 5. That's it.

EDIT: This is starting to feel like the Christopher Nolan batman movies.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I'm loling at everyone who think Oberyn will lose the fight against the Mountain. Oberyn is going to CRUSH the Mountain and instill fear into the Lannisters by going off with a I'm going to murder you all speech. It's going to be like when The Spaniard reveals himself as Maximus to Lucius and everyone at the arena goes :tviv: :vince:

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
man, Littlefinger's coat at the end was pure sex :quagmire:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

I like this version of the Eyrie:

More Westerosi castles here, no spoilers: http://imgur.com/a/rZ4AG

Stuff like this is always impressive, but it always bothers me as to how you'd actually build something like that in a place so inaccessible without trucks and helicopters. Or even if you could.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

dont change my name posted:

There's always Cosmos.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MadJackMcJack posted:

Stuff like this is always impressive, but it always bothers me as to how you'd actually build something like that in a place so inaccessible without trucks and helicopters. Or even if you could.

An infinite supply of expendable labor.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

uuuummm posted:

I've heard that Jorah seems way creepier in the books, but I haven't read them myself. Part of that may come from Dany being 13 and Jorah being super hairy.
"Jorah is a large middle-aged man, swarthy and very hairy. He is balding, but still strong and fit. Daenerys Targaryen considers him not particularly handsome." - ASoIaF Wiki

By the books (at present show time): Jorah is ~45±1~3 (birth year not known), Dany is 16, Littlefinger 32, and Sansa 14.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I got the feeling we got what amounts to a sendoff for the Bronn character, which makes me a little sad.
Don't worry, he's in a better place not being in the trenches of the game of thrones.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Don't underestimate the ability of tyrannical leaders with effectively (or literally) slave labor to build something grand.

Edit: The Eyrie is an extreme, "fantasy" example, but many real castles and the Great Wall of China very much defy our modern intuitive sense of getting so much material up a mountain/large hill.

bUm fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 20, 2014

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Also this show has loving dragons and you're questioning the architecture?!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

bUm posted:

Don't underestimate the ability of tyrannical leaders with effectively (or literally) slave labor to build something grand.

I know that you just activated your Nerd Trap, but the Pyramids were built by both a caste of professional experts (who were paid handsomely and given extremely high status) and off-season labor from farmers who would otherwise be unemployed (and were likewise paid). In fact they were likely built as a giant public works project to give people something to do so the Egyptian economy didn't grind to a halt during the inundation season.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
They're also not at 10,000 feet ASL up a goat trail.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

actually built by aliens

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Does the whole world have the mysterious elevators that the Wall has? I guess they must, because I can't see Dany climbing 20 flights of steps just to get to her living quarters. Although that would wear out potential assassins.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

kiimo posted:

I had no idea Bronn was leaving for good until this thread today

I can honestly tell you that "this" thread or any other thread has no idea if this is true or not.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

The first one looked pretty great when all the kingsguard armor was plastic and before the dragons and direwolves had any real size to them.

The matte paintings in Season 1 are just rough in general. I caught someone up on the show recently and there a few shots with the Red Keep in the background that are pretty rough, to say the least.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

ultramiraculous posted:

The matte paintings in Season 1 are just rough in general. I caught someone up on the show recently and there a few shots with the Red Keep in the background that are pretty rough, to say the least.

Weird, almost like the software and hardware get better every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

kiimo posted:

On tonight's episode of Hot Pie's Inn, Hot Pie will team up with special guest Sansa Stark to show how to make your next Purple Wedding a memorable occasion with lemoncakes, pigeon pie, and Hot Pie's signature Wolfbread. Be sure to tune in for this special episode, and don't forget the words of the Hot Pie Inn, "Never Give Up On The Gravy!"

• Locked thread