Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Sir Jebus posted:

Who would win in a fight between Stephen Farrelly vs Stuart Bennett?

If not the one who was stabbed for being too good at fighting, then it would be pretty shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd take the big muscle man from the British Isles who didn't get beaten up by little less muscle man Hunico.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How long were Edge and Christian billed as kayfabe brothers in WWF/E? Was that just dropped silently at some point?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

How long were Edge and Christian billed as kayfabe brothers in WWF/E? Was that just dropped silently at some point?

It was silently dropped at some point after they finished their post-breakup feud.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When/why did Dean Ambrose get the Tittymaster nickname?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

I think it started with that sign some guy held up at Wrestlemania during the Shield's entrance, and it caught on to a minor extent simply because it was funny and memorable.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Spikeguy posted:

Well, I know what I'm asking for next time there's a name change thread.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Watched some of Raw tonight for the first time in a long time. What the poo poo happened to goatman's neck? I heard the news about the surgery on the show, but how did he hurt it? Is it serious enough that he might not be able to wrestle again?

Also why the poo poo do people like RVD? That timed match he had tonight was real bad. Those slow bounces off the ropes were horrible, jesus.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

derriere demons posted:

Also why the poo poo do people like RVD? That timed match he had tonight was real bad. Those slow bounces off the ropes were horrible, jesus.
Nostalgia is a helluva thing

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

derriere demons posted:

Watched some of Raw tonight for the first time in a long time. What the poo poo happened to goatman's neck? I heard the news about the surgery on the show, but how did he hurt it? Is it serious enough that he might not be able to wrestle again?

More than 400 matches in two years does a lot without recovery time. He's better, at the latest he'll be back by SummerSlam.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

I think it started with that sign some guy held up at Wrestlemania during the Shield's entrance, and it caught on to a minor extent simply because it was funny and memorable.

He's been writing it on his hand and wrist tape for a while, possibly since the fall. It didn't just happen at Mania, I've heard that since the beginning of the year.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

derriere demons posted:

at one point in time his matches were fast-paced and exciting to watch but he's over 40 now and instead of trying to adapt his style he just does all his old moves in slow motion

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

What's the story behind the Bork Laser name?

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Thauros posted:

Actually it started way before that; someone took a picture from a house show where he had TITTY MASTER written on his wrist tape.

(Apparently 'master' was on the other hand.)

edit: beaten, but at least I had a picture

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Ty1990 posted:

I know it used to be a word filter for Brock's name on the DVDVR boards way back in the day (like '04-'05 ish), but it probably predates even that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ty1990 posted:

It's his Firepro Wrestling name (where all the real characters had silly almost right names to get around the copyrights).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

It's his Firepro Wrestling name (where all the real characters had silly almost right names to get around the copyrights).

My favorite is still The Rock being known as "The Salesman" Joe Morici.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

derriere demons posted:

I cannot remember a time when RVD hasn't been terrible.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I haven't watched in a while, but what happened to Bryan's neck? Did he hurt it somehow, or did he injure it some time before and now went to get surgery for whatever reason?

And a second question. When did D-X officially start using a theme song?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Funktastic posted:

I haven't watched in a while, but what happened to Bryan's neck? Did he hurt it somehow, or did he injure it some time before and now went to get surgery for whatever reason?

He had nagging neck pain, turned out there was some pressure on a nerve so he had minor (successful) surgery to relieve the pressure. It doesn't sound like the injury was from any one thing in particular.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Funktastic posted:

I couldn't tell you exactly, but it was pretty early on. DX formed in like September or October of 97 and they were using the theme song at least by the December In Your House.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Funktastic posted:

DX debuted the theme song the night after Survivor Series 1997 on RAW (episode with Midget Bret)

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Actually, the very first time was after Survivir Series '97 ended. Their tron video was played as a teaser for the eponymous December PPV.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ty1990 posted:

There was a video on Youtube of Brock Lesnar beating the poo poo out of Zach Gowen. It kept getting taken down, so the guy who uploaded it kept re-uploading with different names, like "Bronk Lensar beats up one leg man" but it also kept getting taken down. One of the name corruptions was Bork Laser and that stuck with a lot of people because it's funny.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He had a legendary feud against Jerry Lynn during the late 90s of ECW. Even when the matches started getting formulaic(and ultimately end up the blueprint for almost all indy "technical/spotty" matches), they were still a treat to watch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The earlier RVD/Lynn matches were good but their final one at Guilty as Charged 01 is terrible. RVD showboats a lot in his matches but this one was seemingly hit a move and then RVD walks around for 3 minutes soaking in the crowd's adulation, repeat repeat repeat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aku posted:

He had a legendary feud against Jerry Lynn during the late 90s of ECW. Even when the matches started getting formulaic(and ultimately end up the blueprint for almost all indy "technical/spotty" matches), they were still a treat to watch.

I never liked the Lynn/RVD matches and honestly think RVD peaked as a worker in WWE.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I never liked the Lynn/RVD matches and honestly think RVD peaked as a worker in WWE.
The best RVD/Lynn match was on Sunday Night Heat.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I would say RVD's feud with Eddie in '02 was his best stuff. The Jerry Lynn matches were pretty much all Jerry and it showed when RVD would face guys like Balls Mahoney shortly afterwards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

The best RVD/Lynn match was on Sunday Night Heat.

I should've included that exception, that one was good. Probably watched by more people than any of the ECW matches too proving that more popular = better.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I cannot remember a time when The Undertaker hasn't been terrible.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I was never the biggest RVD fan but I remember watching RVD vs Bam Bam Bigelow from 98 (when RVD won the TV title) and being amazed by it. It even had my cynical wrestling-hating older cousin on the edge of his seat. I wonder if it holds up.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Someone put it best a while ago (during the WWE run prior to this one) that RVD was amazing at a time when nobody was working the kind of style he did. Then, over 17+ years more and more workers entered wrestling doing his high-flying spotty stuff but better than him and suddenly RVD's weaknesses showed. The big one is RVD wrestles a style where it's set-up spot then set-up spot in tight order and he had difficulty masking it at times.

I was a huge mark for RVD in his ECW and early WWE days but I agree with everyone here that he is just plain terrible now. It's all because of age because he's 43 and been wrestling practically full-time for 20 years in some fashion be it WrestleMania or a Juggalo house show where the ring is caked in dried-up Faygo. He wrestles in slow-motion because that's really all he can do anymore and god-drat is it painful to watch because the weaknesses are amplified.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

Someone put it best a while ago (during the WWE run prior to this one) that RVD was amazing at a time when nobody was working the kind of style he did. Then, over 17+ years more and more workers entered wrestling doing his high-flying spotty stuff but better than him and suddenly RVD's weaknesses showed. The big one is RVD wrestles a style where it's set-up spot then set-up spot in tight order and he had difficulty masking it at times.

I was a huge mark for RVD in his ECW and early WWE days but I agree with everyone here that he is just plain terrible now. It's all because of age because he's 43 and been wrestling practically full-time for 20 years in some fashion be it WrestleMania or a Juggalo house show where the ring is caked in dried-up Faygo. He wrestles in slow-motion because that's really all he can do anymore and god-drat is it painful to watch because the weaknesses are amplified.

Even at his peak there were so many cruiserweights doing the same high flying stuff he was doing but better. They just didn't use chairs.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

Even at his peak there were so many cruiserweights doing the same high flying stuff he was doing but better. They just didn't use chairs.

To me what distinguished RVD from the various cruiserweight high-fliers was that his offense felt weighty. Not necessarily because he was bigger, just the hits felt more substantial because of the way he delivered them and the pace as which he went. Cruisers like Mysterio, Kidman, Hurricane or Ultimo Dragon always felt like a flurry, even if they weren't actually going all that fast. Just the tempo of their offense and the way they made their hits look gave this impression of speed.

RVD's matches always always gave me the impression of something much more deliberate and focused than the crazy go-nuts Cruisers, if that makes any sense. He actually seemed really similar to Eddie to me. Not even close to that level of technical skill, but in a similar wheelhouse.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I think his match with Cena at ONS 06 is still great, but that was more due to atmosphere if anything.

E: When did the "This is Awesome" chant become a thing?

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 21, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I have to imagine it started in ECW and became a thing on the indies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

I think his match with Cena at ONS 06 is still great, but that was more due to atmosphere if anything.

E: When did the "This is Awesome" chant become a thing?

It supposedly started on an FIP show and the FIP fans who attended Impact tapings started doing it there so it spread to ROH and TNA quickly.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Now that I think about it I have no examples for ECW chanting "this is awesome".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

HulkaMatt posted:

Now that I think about it I have no examples for ECW chanting "this is awesome".
They had their own version with "Holy poo poo!"