Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Shocker
Buddy d10, 4PP, 5XP, No Stress/Complications

As Herman finally starts to regain consciousness, he notices the ceiling has changed from before he fainted. The most obvious difference is the simple fact that it is there. That's a big shift. It's also sleek and metal, which isn't too strange. Plenty of places are metal. Unfortunately, that detail eliminates the possibility of it being his apartment, and with it the hope that he might just wake up from this bad dream. This is all real, actually happening, and not the product of him tripping on his rug and knocking himself unconscious (again).

From his vantage point on the floor, Shocker takes some small happiness in the fact that The Punisher seems, along with almost everyone else, to have been lost in the move to this... room. The Shocker escapes death once again! Maybe, he thinks, things might turn out to be okay.

Noticing his companion, Shocker reflexively starts to raise his hands in surrender, before realizing Bishop's attention is very angrily focused elsewhere. Turning to follow the mutant cop's gaze, he wonders who or what could get that under his skin. Maybe it's another criminal, and he can help take them down and prove that he's a hero too! Assisting with a super-arrest would be a great way to convince everyone he's really doing this good guy thing.

Herman's enthusiasm disappears when he see that the target of Bishop's ire is absolutely out of his league. First he gets tossed into a room with The Punisher, and now Magneto?! MAG-loving-NETO! Why?! Why is life playing this joke on him?! Herman was finally trying to do something good, and this is what he gets for that? It just isn't fair! Lying on the floor, he considers the options for escaping here alive. Coming up with very few options besides perhaps just playing dead, he considers asking Bishop what his plan is.

This plan is cut off by the cop's shouting. Shouting which will absolutely draw Magneto's attention to them both. Magneto's insane, powerful, crush-your-hands-in-your-metal-vibro-gloves attention. "This is it," he realizes. "I'm going to die here. I'm going to be killed by Magneto and I'm going to die. Maybe- Maybe I can at least try to die on my feet. That's slightly heroic, isn't it?"

Stumbling to stand as Bishop finishes his speech, Shocker adds his support to the argument: "Y-yeah! W-wh-what he said!"

Rolling for Shocker's utterly hopeless addition to the attempt to make Magneto feel bad: Buddy d10, Crippled with Self-Doubt d4 (+1 PP) and that is it! Assuming we're allowed to even make two-die rolls: 12 with a default d4 effect. Jeezus Herman, don't waste your luck on this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Asteroid M - Shocker and Bishop

The figure in the throne does not stir even as Bishop leans in, pointing out his mark. When both men stop talking, silence once again fills the room. Before Bishop can open his mouth to speak again, he notices the ragged hole in Magneto's shirt, and the burns radiating out from it. Through the hole he can see only the white of exposed bone.

While Bishop investigates the skeletal remains of what may have once been Magneto, Herman finally gets a chance to look around. Behind him is a massive, polarized window, which he can't see through normally. However, the Shocker trips some hidden sensor that causes the polarization to fade from the window, revealing a terrible sight: Earth, cracked and smoldering. Only a single part of the planet seems to have survived, even if just barely, and Herman recognizes it for home: North America.

Even as Shocker absorbs this scene, the station begins to thrum to life. The lights flare on much brighter and ancient machinery begins to churn to life, circulating a dry, stale air into the room. A computerized voice, crackling through speakers of unknown age, speaks. "Welcome back, Erik Magnus. It has been 3,478 days since I have been last online. What can I do for you, sir?"

The Raft - Iron Jonah

Jonah gets to see the sudden flash of surprise on Gargan's face as he realizes that he is, for once, able to fight back on a similar scale. The humongous blast of energy from the MK2 suit engulfs Mac, choking out a cry of pain and surprise as the green armored freak is hurled backwards by the force of the blow, slamming bodily into the squat concrete guard hut and crashing through it. Rubble falls and dust is kicked up by the sudden landing, giving Jonah a moment to feel proud of himself.

However, the moment is short lived as a chunk of concrete is hurled from the dust cloud, cracking against the cement by Jameson. A massive black hand grips the side of the building and yanks it down as something clearly more than Scorpion crawls from the wreckage. Jonah would recognize the black suit anywhere, but when it speaks, the voice is not Brock's.

"We could've handled you without its help, Jonah, if you hadn't gotten help against us. Look what they did to us, Jameson!" The gargantuan Venom motions to itself, tongue lolling as it grins. "They gave us a taste of true power, the taste Spiderman had. We know who he is now, Jonah. And it's so, so funny to us. He's been right under your nose all this time, but now you'll be too DEAD TO CARE!"

Moving surprisingly agile for a creature his size, Venom leaps across the tarmac and lands before Jonah in a crouch, bringing both fists laced together around for a home run swing on the Bugle's owner.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4506417/ 7 and 6 with a D8 effect die, steps up the damage to d12.

Spending d10 to activate Rapid Healing SFX from the Venom symbiote to clear off the physical stress.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4506419/ 9 and 7 with d8 effect die, physical stress

Two opportunities for Jonah to use.

The Mojostral Plane - Dr. Strange

"Hey now, magic's only science that isn't understood completely, mac. So that makes me and my advanced science magical, and thus me a Wizard. Jeez. y-" With another brilliant flash, the Wizard is gone, leaving Strange alone once more. An eerie wind blows through the realm, and Mojo's voice echoes once more.

"An amusing mistake, I'm sure, but I've learned from this one, Strange! Let's fight fire with WATER for once, eh? I present to you, my magical friend, the ultimate sorcerer squasher: A TRUE. WARRIOR!" Mojo cackles, and once more a figure appears before Strange, but this time it is already running towards him, screaming.

A muscular man in a black breastplate lunges for Strange, grinning maniacally. "No mere magician can stand before TRUE strength, you doddering old poo poo! Let's see if your magic can protect your brittle, mortal bones!" The man slams his fist forward towards Strange's face, his grin never faltering.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4506425/ 7, 9, and 7 with a d12 effect die; spending a doom die to add an extra die.

Posting three at a time right now, more to come! Father in law's birthday so that's why I'm splitting it up. :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Doctor Strange

"Ares!" Strange yells, "so eager to see yet another repeat of your performance at the walls of Troy? Be mesmerized by the Images of Ikonn, and know that even your senses can be fooled by the Magus Maximus!" Strange changes the magical material around him into copies of himself, and teleports himself with them all around to distract and confuse the deadly god of war.

Reaction roll w/ stunt (-1 PP)! Solo d10=8; Arcane Defender d8=1; Supreme Sorcery d12=7; Telepathy d8=8; Teleport d10=7; Mystic Master d10=1; Ley Lines are Strong d8=8; Laplace's Demon d8=5; Stunt d8=2; All. Inv. d6=2 == 8+8+8(-1 PP) d12 effect with 2 opportunities

Dodging the deity's buffeting blows, Strange calls upon the Fires of Faltine to assault the god, using his ability to read minds to pinpoint his position, and teleporting to ensure the deity has no chance to dodge!

Solo d10=4; Defender d4(+1 PP)=3; Mystic Bolts d10=3; Telepathy d8=5; Teleport d10=1; Mystic Master d10=5; Ley Lines d8=3; Laplace's Demon d8=1 == 5+5+4(-1 PP) d12 effect, 2 opportunities

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Deadpool, 0 PP, 6 XP

"Rita! It is you!" Deadpool says in astonishment as he teleports back and dives into a roll to, unsuccessfully, avoid her blades, leaving him cut pretty badly. "You're looking good. I mean, considering. You know. Sorry about last time." He turns to the audience and leans into the microphone. "We had a thing. It didn't work out.", then redirects his attention to her and the blades that are coming close to his torso. "So, you're still working for Mojo?" He leans back into the mic. "She made somebody I know Asian. It was an X-Men thing. They have the WEIRDEST plots."

"You know, you look tired. You should rest.", he says as he, ducking and weaving, swings his swords low, trying to get past her defenses.

Spending a pp to buy the opportunity and using it to shut down Superhuman Reflexes.

Reaction dice: Solo, d10, Merc with the Mouth, d8, Open Mic Night, d8, Teleport d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Acrobatics Expert, d8

Dodging: 1d10 5 5#1d8 1 3 1 8 4

Two opportunities, 5+8 effect, d8

Hurt for d10. Spending a PP to get rid of it.

Attacking: Solo, d8 (reduced from d10), Merc with the Mouth, d8, open Mic Night, d8, Weapon, d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Combat Master d10, using sfx "They can cut through a tank, honest" for additional d6

It slices, it dices!: 1d10 6 5#1d8 7 1 8 6 2 1d6 2

1 opportunity, roll 8+7, effect die d12 (stepped up by SFX)

Proactively using Breaking the 4th Wall to reduce any opportunities bought by the GM to d4

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Shocker
Buddy d10, 4PP, 5XP, No Stress/Complications

The jolt of discovering that he's in space is lost on Herman in the wake of the more devastating sight of a ravaged Earth. Everything had been fine when he had been home earlier. How could something this bad happen that quickly? This first outing as a superhero was certainly not going anything that could be called well. So many people must be dead. And he couldn't save any of them. Guilt and shame overwhelm Shocker. He tries to convince himself that it isn't his fault, that he couldn't have done anything anyway, teleported away like he was, but the feelings remain. His sight stays locked on the planet as The Shocker thinks to notify his impromptu partner who, he considers, might be the only other human left. "O-Officer Bishop? You should- You should come and see this, I think."

The sudden clunk of air circulation and flare of lights breaks his terrible rapture. Listening to the computer's voice, Herman is dumbstruck by what he hears. 3,400 days was almost... Ten years? How could he have been gone for ten years? And that still didn't explain anything about the Earth's devastation.

"What happened here?" The Shocker wonders aloud.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Iron Jonah
Solo d10, d10 Physical Stress, 1(-1) PP, 5 XP

Well that was new. Wonder whose bright idea was it to combine a completely insane alien suit with another completely insane man. Did they think something good was going to happen, or-oh wait time to move. Iron Jonah tries to block the massive arms of Venom, but apparently this early suit is not capable of going toe-to-toe with the symbiote, and JJJ is flung backwards through a wall.

Picking himself up from the rubble, Jonah figures it's time to break out the big guns. And by "guns" he means speaker. Lots of 'em. '80's-style speakers spring up from hidden compartments all over the suit, ready to blast some noise into the sensitive symbiote's ears (or whatever Venom has that count as ears). "Gargan, you really should learn to say 'no' to strange people who want to experiment on you."

Going to be an idiot and try to just block Venom's swing:
Solo d10+Short-Tempered d4 (+1 PP)+Strength 2d8("Give Me More Juice!")+Durability d8
Total is 10, d8 Effect. So, I take d10 physical stress. One opportunity, and a d8 is added to the Doom Pool.

For my action, going to create a "Loaded with Speakers" asset.
Solo d10+Loud and In Charge d8+Gadgets d8+Crime Expert d8+A Gadget for Everything d6+Stunt d8
Total is 11, d10 Effect. If Dyne gives me a PP for my previous opportunity, going to use it here to increase my total to 15. Again, Wrong Button limit is in effect, so if my roll fails by 5 or more, I create a d10 complication on myself.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Bishop

Bishop feels like quite the idiot, having spouted out things near to his soul in front of The Shocker, only for it all to be directed at a corpse; though Bishop had to admit, it had felt fuckin' cathartic when he was through. It would seem Bishop wasn't quite over the whole "coming from a blasted hellhole of a future."

He tunes out the mechanical voice and the whining of the Shocker as he slowly approaches the throne. If something had killed Magneto, it had to have been powerful, and it might still be lurking around the station. He gets close to the dried and desiccated husk that was once Erik Lehnsherr. Automatically Bishop goes into homicide detective mode. He peers at the wound studying the hole and what was inside. He looks for broken bones, and an exit wound, that would help Bishop tease out what made the wound. If the bones appear broken then a hard blunt force passed through Magneto, if the "breaks" looked clean, then something of immense power cut through the Master of Magnetism and disintegrated the bone.

Then he examines the clothing around the wound. If it looked scorched or burnt that means either a high energy blast caused the wound, or a firearm from close enough range to cause powder burn. The scene spoke even more to what happened. For Magneto to die, seated as he was, he would have been taken off guard, have known and been comfortable with his assailant, or have misjudged the attacker as not a threat worthy of engaging.

He had to tease out the secret of the crime scene before he'd let himself be bothered by whatever the Criminal had found.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Definitely Not The Streets of New York - The Punisher

Stilt-Man stumbles as he misses the hydraulic kick, trying his best to keep his balance. He looks down at Frank, standing beneath him with his guns drawn, and something snaps in the man. "I'm the fraggin' Stilt-Man! I run this town! DO YOU HEAR ME?! I RUN THIS T-"

The tirade is ended abruptly with the report of a .45 pistol going off, and the slug catches the man square between the eyes, sending him reeling backwards. His suit goes out of control, the legs extending and shrinking rapidly before dumping the crook unceremoniously into the dumpster.

As Frank turns to face his final foe, he is not surprised to see a dust trail as the last hood makes a break for it. With smoke trailing from his pistols, Frank takes a moment to enjoy the fruits of two well earned kills. This might not be his New York, but he was certainly going to clean up well if no one knew to run from Frank Castle.

From behind him, Frank hears a sudden exclamation that he knows should be profanity, but sounds garbled to his ears. Turning around, he sees Pete staggering out of the doorway, a good chunk of his chest missing. "AWWW CRIPES! $&^@(! Dude, what in the name of the Lord are you DOING?! What are those things?! Jeeez!" He hisses as he touches the wound, looking down at it then back up at the Punisher, an incredulous look on his face. He then finally seems to get a good look at Frank and suddenly turns indignant.

"What is with that get-up? Black? A skull on it? And you aren't using a Fun Gun?" Pete rolls his eyes, his hands on his hips. "Hey! Mikey! Man, what did you to do Mike?" Paste Pot saunters over to the dumpster and lifts the lid, where more supposed cursing erupts from within. "He stung me right between the eyes, Petey! Aw, cripes, it stings!"

Stilt-Man clambers out of the dumpster, his head turned at a completely wrong angle from the force of the shot. He shakes his head, reaching up and patting around his shoulders before finally grasping his noggin and giving it a firm twist, setting it right with a look of exaggerated pain on his face. "Jeeeeeez LOUISE!"

"Mikey! Language!"

Buying d10 and d8, 2 PP
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4507740/ 4 and 3, d10 stepped up beyond d12

The Laff Hut - Deadpool

Spiral looks momentarily confused as Deadpool keeps hold of the mic to deliver his punch lines, and is caught off guard as his two blades dig into her sides. She cries out in pain and knocks the mercenary away, sliding her blades against each other. "Do you never shut up, Wade? Is this all you know how to do?"

Clashing her blades together, Rita takes one step forward and freezes in place. Deadpool, with his innate connection to the fabric that makes the weave of the universe, can feel that something is being done to the time line, and Rita is about to do something that he would feel is 'way past cool.' The world seems to skip, and Rita flickers in and out of the time stream. One second, she is directly in front of Wade, and the next she is four steps to the left. Three different time lines converge at once as three Spirals strike with eighteen blades for Wade, putting the merc heavily on the defensive. Once her strike is made Rita stumbles slightly, winded and wounded, and likely worse for the wear.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4507759/ 8 + 8 + 9 + 10, SFX steps up the effect die to d12. Bought one opportunity from Deadpool, and he gains 2 PP for the opportunities from this (due to Spiral's 'Time Dancer' SFX)

The Mojoverse Proper - Squirrel Girl

Doreen follows her squirrels at a short distance and watches with a great deal of pride swelling in her chest as the vast majority actually stick to the plan. The handful of droids watch the squirrels running about their feet, trying to get a bead on them for a threat scan, and don't see the Squirrel Girl herself coming. Unfortunately, due to the fact Mojo does not suspect anyone has been left behind, no cameras capture the fearsome and terrific battle that ensues, where Doreen presses herself beyond her limits and thoroughly destroys the robots. Even the robots are unsure of what happens, but they are in no position to be impressed when all is said and done.

And indeed, when all is said and done, only Squirrel Girls remains standing, with her trusty squirrels, and none would be the wiser to her thrilling battle. A quick glance around shows that the droids were, in fact, guarding a door that leads into the squat little building, and after a moment of fiddling with it and trying to figure out how to crack the code, Burk simply squeezes under the door and flips the latch.

Stepping inside the building, Doreen is first hit by an INCREDIBLE stink, and a few of her squirrels mimic barfing or pinching their noses shut. The building apparently is much larger on the inside than would be imagined, and with a few steps forward, she finds herself on a walkway over a massive pit lined with video monitors and control panels. She recognizes the room immediately: this is Mojo's control room, but Mojo is nowhere to be seen.

Wally Wimbleton tugs at Doreen's blouse and points her in the direction of a pair of doors in the pit, both depicting some massive creature on spindly spider-like legs, though one seems to be wearing a skirt. Obviously, Mojo is in one of the two rooms down below, but what sinister plot could he be up to?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Punisher, Frank Castle
5 PP, 6 XP

No amount of tactical training could have prepared Frank for this. He stares at the two scum who should be DEAD with a dumbfounded expression on his face. "No... NOOOOOOOO! How? What is going on here?"

The Punisher's mind races trying to find explanations. Could they be zombies? No because they're acting like usual and that would be one hell of a quick transformation to zombie. Did Mojo mess with his pistols's ammo? Probably not. He checks his magazines and sees that they're loaded with the usual bullets.

I mean its not like it was the first time he fought against someone who came back from the dead. He cut The Russian's loving head off and General Kreigkopf still managed to resurrect that abomination, but that cost time and many resources for him.

But this? This is bullshit. Frank feels a rage boiling inside him, telling him to keep shooting these guys until nothing is left, or yell at the skies with promises to kill that fat bastard Mojo. But both options wouldn't result in anything productive.

It was time to calm down and find answers. He wasn't The Punisher only because he was really good at killing people, but also because he researched his enemies, the situation and its surroundings before planning and striking for maximum effect.

He takes a deep breath, loads his pistols and holsters them as he walks towards Pete and Stilt-Man and stares at them. "I'm the Punisher and I'm not from here. You two usually should be dead on the ground, but are not so clearly there's something wrong here. You guys didn't die but clearly still felt some kind of pain. Good." He taps his white skull. "Don't let the skull fool you. I'm not only good at killing people, I'm also extremely capable of inflicting maximum pain to people. Right now I need some answers and I expect you two to cooperate with me. What is a Fun Gun and how were you both able to stand up so fast?"

Dice Pool for asking questions and threaten these two dudes: Solo D10 Weapons D10 Menace Master D10 Dead Inside D8
3d10 = 3,1,8
d8 = 3

Picking 3 and 8 for total 11, effect die is D8

I now expect them to laugh at my face due to terrible rolling

Dyne Post of Stuff

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Squirrel Girl
Plot Points: 2 | Experience Points: 5

As she walks in, Squirrel Girl brags proudly, "And that's what happens when I really don't hold back!" She looks over at the monitors, and then gets distracted by Wally, looking to the twin doors of dooo... ooo... ooom.

Turning to some chirping from a squirrel atop the railing, she frowns, replying to the squirrel, "Catch him with his pants down?! Sir Chauncey of Nuttington, you are nobility and you should know better manners than that!" She looks to the doors again-

Tippy Toe says: "What mysteries could be found inside... Mojo's Bathroom?"

Squirrel Girl's expression says a thousand words, and she turns away, paying attention to other things in this room.

Tippy Toe says: "Good call."

And so instead she hooks her claws into the overhang, swinging down to have a better look at what's going on Mojo's monitors! She doesn't know how long she has until he finishes his business, but maybe there are clues as to what happened to her friends acquaintances the others!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Mojo's Headquarter - Squirrel Girl

After a quick glance around determines things are still clear, Doreen checks one of the control stations, peering at the monitor quizzically. She recognizes the man in the red suit of armor as J. Jonah Jameson, and so far she's watched him blast a man in green clear across the tarmac. However, the green man comes out as a black man and then the red man reconstructs another part of the prison, ending up in the prison yard..

Prison Yard - Iron Jonah

The speakers deploy almost flawlessly, but Jonah does not account for one simple thing: although loud, the technology in the suit does not allow it to be used simply as sonic weaponry. The noise drowns out everything else and leaves a ringing in Jonah's ears as he curses, trying to retract the damned things.

Because of this, Jonah does not hear the small splatter of a thick, viscous substance on his armor. The suit bleeps a vague 'CONTAMINANT' warning before Jameson finds himself yanked clean off his feet. Venom yanks hard on his webline, using all of his inhuman might, and brings the owner of the Bugle hurtling towards him. At the last second, Mac releases the line and slams his open hand against the 'throat' of the armor, holding Jameson aloft.

"The suit gets hungry, Jay Jay. And you're lookin' a might bit like a crab right now to us!" Gargan cackles as he slams the suit down, causing alarms to blare within about system malfunctions and shut downs and other things that make Jonah realize he is in deep, deep trouble. Mac rips the helmet clean off of Jonah and leans in, his tongue lolling and drool flowing from his razor sharp teeth. "It ain't 'we' that's gonna enjoy this, Jonah. It's purely ME."

Mojo's Headquarters - Squirrel Girl

Doreen, not knowing exactly what is going to come next but knowing it will be bad, begins pressing buttons at random on the console in front of her. SOMETHING had to do something, and her squirrels join her in button presses. She hears a howl from the monitor and looks up tentatively, watching as the big black brute starts smashing through the prison, away from the camera. From behind her, she hears a faint 'blorp', and when she turns, she sees Jonah sprawled out on the floor behind her, staring up at the ceiling in shock and disbelief. His helmet lay not far from him, and despite some nasty dents and scratches on the armor and a bit of drool on his face, he seems none the worse for wear.

Buying Astus' opportunity for d6

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4509974/ 6 + 7 + 4, d10 effect die; Jonah has a D10 complication, 'Loaded with Speakers'

Solo d8
Unrelentingly Savage d8
Swingline d8
Claws d6 (Stress die stepped up, highest die stepped back)
Suprehuman Strength d8 (from d10)
Menace Expert d8
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4509977/ 8 + 8 + 6, d12 emotional effect

Astus linked me a roll and the effect is stepped up twice, giving Astus d6 Emotional Trauma.

The Mojostral Plane - Dr. Strange

Ares grins cruelly as he sees the flames coming towards him and throws his arms out, as if to welcome them. He staggers from the blow but laughs, his skin only slightly singed and a faint bit of smoke wafting from his armor. "Is that all you have, magician? Petty magic in the face of the God of War?! I have faced all weapons and all foes, Strange! I have faced magic and the mundane, the archaic and the technologically advanced! I've battled the HULK and won!"

The God of War sprints towards Strange again, bringing his fists together as he brings them upwards in a reverse axehandle. "Are you even a worthy challenge, Strange?! I don't think your magic can stop a god!"

Buying the four opportunities as a d8 and 2d6, 3 PP to Strange

Godlike Durabilty d12
Solo d10
God of War d8
Petty Magic! SFX d6 (Steps back Mystic Expert; if defense fails, magical sources have their effect die stepped back; if succeeds, Godlike Durability is stepped back)
Mystic Expert d6
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4509966/ 6,5, and 4, d12 effect die; spending a d6 to keep an extra die

e: poo poo used a d6 instead of a d8 for God of War, oops

Godlike Strength 2d12 (Boundless Strength SFX doubles Strength)
Combat Grandmaster d12
Solo d10
God of War d8
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4509971/ 7 + 5, d12 effect die

Asteroid M - Bishop and Shocker

Ignoring Shocker, Bishop lets himself be taken up in the mystery of the scene. The hole in Magneto's chest is directly opposite where he presumes the man's heart would be, barring any genetic mutation leading to otherwise. No organic tissue remains on the body putting the incident well in the past, and judging the hole's size puts it at about two to three inches across, with scorch marks radiating out another inch or so. It was obviously an energy attack of some sort, as the bone shows faint signs of scorching as well.

Carefully moving the body, he sees a much smaller exit wound, and for a moment he ponders this, until he realizes that the wound in FRONT was the exit wound, putting the attacker coming from behind Magneto. But why put him in his throne? What was important about the throne? Turning slightly, he sees the throne commands a great view of the far window, and the scene of earth below. That.. would explain it; whoever attacked Magneto wanted him to watch whatever was going on earth below, and if the shot had NOT gone through his heart and merely collapsed a lung, death would have been relatively slower.

Upon Shocker asking his question, there is a faint beep. "Voice pattern unrecognized. Searching for protocol.. found. Performing bioscan upon Master Magneto." A small orb appears from the ceiling above Magneto, and after a moment of spinning, sprays a red cone of light over the body of the former Master of Magnetism. There is a ping and the sphere retracts. "Life signs of Erik Magnus have ceased. Beginning playback."

With a faint click, a recording begins to play, one both men recognize s the voice of the mutant terrorist whose tapes and speeches would occasionally be played on air. The voice is weak, and wheezy. "I am Magneto, of the species homo superior, and I control the force of magnetism within the planet below us, called Earth. You stand now aboard Asteroid M, my home, my fortress, and my one place of solace away from the horrors of the world below me."

"I do not know who, or what you are, and I pray you will understand these words or find a way to understand them. My world, the planet Earth, the one you see below you now, is gone. Destroyed by a man whose sole and ironic mission is to save his planet; in my old age, I foolishly tried to stop him, but he is relentless."
Magneto coughs violently, groaning and breathing heavily.

"He does not age; before, I have met him, when I was much younger, and he was the same man but filled with a deeper hatred and rage against humanity. I knew I could not defeat him, but still I tried; I lured him here with the promise that I had what he sought, and when he realized my lie, he attacked. Left me here, in my throne, to watch as he destroys my world. To think it was a mere hour ago that he left.." There is a long string of silence, before another groan.

"Please. If what he seeks leaves Earth, he will hunt it. He will not stop until the threat is gone. You m-" "Recording ended; file corrupt. Please check central file server for damage, Master Magnus." The robotic voice stutters and whines as it speaks, obviously damaged.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 22, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Doctor Strange

"Your mind could never understand magic, Ares, but I'll make sure your flesh feels the bite!" Strange teleports himself like a strobe light around the God of War, dodging the blows and returning the with the Fires of the Faltine, and under such a barrage even Ares begins to feel the pain.

Reaction: Solo d10=4; Defender d8=2; Mystic Blast d10=6; Durability d8=8; Teleport d10=7; Mystic Master d10=7 == 8+7 d10 effect. Spending 1 PP to make it a counter-attack, leaving Ares with d8 physical stress.

Desirous to end this battle before it taxes him further, Strange sends his formidable mystic senses out into the strange Mojostral plane. He seeks a doorway to the realm he had visited before being dragged so unceremoniously here by Mojo, for he can think of a foe that would cause even Ares some pause. Raising the Eye of Agomotto up high he cries out "May the light of the All-Seeing Eye of Agomotto guide my mind!" Finding the mystic spark so small, yet so bright, Strange uses the Supreme Sorcery to pull open the veil between realities, and brings forth a massive, hulking monstrosity, that knows only destruction and chaos. A truly fitting foe for the blood-red Mars. It bellows through the void, and Strange directs its attack through his mind.

Summoning a Taurus Demon complication to smash the bajeezus out of Ares, but not actually using the Eye of Agomotto SFX. Stunt w/ Alliterative Invocations (-1 PP). Solo d10=1; Defender d8=2; Supreme Sorcery d12=6; Telepathy d8=2; Mystic Senses d12=6; Mystic Master d10=10; Ley Lines are Strong d8=4; Laplace's Demon d8=7; Ares' Physical Stress d8=8; Stunt d8=4; Stunt d6=6 == 10+8+7(-1 PP) with d12+d6 effect, 1 opportunity.

If this isn't the transition scene, I'll take another 3 xp for summoning a creature as a stunt.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Deadpool 1 PP, 6 XP

"Yep, mouthing off and kicking rear end. That's what I'm good at." Then, the world turns inside out, and Deadpool's attacked by many swords at once, too many to dodge, one of which slices through his shoulder and leaves his arm twitching on the ground. Deadpool looks at his severed arm, frowns, and reattaches it.

"Look, Rita. We can do this all day if you want.", he says as he makes a fist with the newly reattached arm, and then, swords in hand, crouches for the attack. "But there's something bothering you, and, for once, an asskicking won't cure it. So, tell Uncle Wade what's happening.", he says as he teleports out of sword range.

Dodging. Solo, d10, Completely Unpredictable, d8, Teleport, d8, Enhanced Reflexes, d8, Combat Master, D10.
Dodging: 1#1d10 5 3#1d8 6 4 2

so, 11, d8. Think I missed a d10 there, but...

Taking the d12 stress, then using 1 pp and healing factor to cure it.

Attacking, Solo, d10, Merc with the mouth, d8, teleport, d8, psych expert, d8.

Psychoanalysis and Talk Therapy: 1d10 2 3#1d8 6 3 5

Total of 11, d10

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 26, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Squirrel Girl

Squirrel Girl jumps as Jonah crashes down, and then drops to the floor. "Mr. Jameson!", she says, springing over. "Gosh, I'm sorry to see you like this! But maybe this'll give you a better understanding of the trials and tribulations of costumed heroes...", she muses aloud, not that Jonah's probably in much of a state to reflect on much of anything at the moment.

"Well, if he sent you away with this machine, then... it should be-" Tippy-Toe chitters, and she nods. "~ yes, I was just about to say that~!" She then looks around at the monitors, trying to find others that might be visible.

"Who should I rescue first? I guess I should help whoever would seem to be in the biggest trouble...", she thinks aloud, hands on her hips. Searching the screens, she asks rhetorically: "Where's that Quilt-Master fellow?"

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Iron Jonah
Solo d10, d8 Physical Stress, d6 Emotional trauma, 1 PP, 8 XP

After teleporting to (relative) safety for whatever reason, JJJ remains perfectly still on the floor for a while. This is not good for his heart. After recovering somewhat, he reaches for the slightly-damaged visor and puts it back on. *Systems Reactivated; Continuing Playback* "What? Oh god drat it, don't-" It takes a few seconds for Jameson to finally turn off the drat speakers, so hopefully stealth wasn't a big issue.

"So, where the hell are we now? Where's Mojo? I've got some words I need to say to him."

Forgot that I get 3 xp for activating the Wrong Button limit during that fight.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Bishop

While turning Magneto around to examine the wound in his back is the first time Bishop gets a look out the window. He is shocked at first, but quickly composes himself; they were in this Mojoverse, that isn't the real Earth, this wasn't the real Magneto, all of it was just some sick fat bastard's fantasy.

It was still a fantasy that could hurt though. He draws his gun and slowly walks over to The Shocker, still in awe of the sights below him, even if they were not "real" in the strictest sense. Bishop addresses the Shocker, his eyes not leaving the viewport, "You know who, or what could have done this? Same person that killed Magneto up there, used a directed energy blast; not even i could destroy most the Earth with my abilities, not that I'd ever want to."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Quilt-Master Shocker
Buddy d10, 4 PP, 5 XP, No Stress/Complications

Shocker is surprised by Bishop's question, and jumps a tiny bit at hearing the cop's voice. "I- I know a couple folks who could build something, maybe, if they really put their minds to it," he replies, "but doing it on their own? I don't know anyone like that. Or anyone who'd-" Shocker stops, then continues in a slight whisper. "Anyone who'd want to." He pauses a moment and thinks, before pointing over his shoulder at Magneto. "But he did. I-if we could find that file server thing, I could maybe fix it up. I'm, uh, I'm kind of good with technology. And if we did that, we could hear the rest of his message, and maybe that'd tell us who did this!" Herman stands slightly straighter, excited to have come up with a plan, and looks over to his partner.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Mojo Central Processing - Iron Jonah, Squirrel Girl

As Jonah gathers himself up off of the floor (with the unexpected and possibly unwanted aid of Doreen's squirrels), Squirrel Girl herself goes back to the console, trying to figure out how to change the screen. When she questions the location of the Quilt-Man, a monitor next to her lights up, blinking her words at her in red text.

QUILT-MAN STATUS: UNKNOWN
CROSS REFERENCING ALL KNOWN PSEUDONYMS..
\|/-\|/.. FOUND, KNOWN INSULT FOR 'SHOCKER, THE'
DISPLAYING CLOSEST KNOWN LOCATION..

The screen showing Venom blinks out, replaced with an image of the Shocker.

New York - The Punisher

Pete looks up at his buddy before looking back at Frank, raising his glue gun. "This is a fun gun, buddy. It shoots a sticky glue that, if you get stuck, means I've won and you eventually gotta chase me back down. Y'know, keeps us from getting hurt too much." He rubs his head, where it seems the wound is slowly going away. "We don't get hurt too much around here, y'know? Usually it's nothing like what you did but we all know, if we go down, we stay down, and we gotta wait till another day. Them's the rules."

Before Frank can react, he hears the screech of tires behind him and turns, seeing Big Wheel has returned with a familiar face: the Shocker. But this one isn't wetting his pants like the other.. and before the Punisher can react, this Shocker has already slammed his fists together, sending a visible wave of energy towards him. Too slow, Frank. Too slow. As the rays hit him, he flinches, thinking how much this was going to hurt..

.. and it didn't. Instead, he felt like a hundred feathers were being run along his side. He was being loving tickled, and he sure didn't look it. The Shocker lowers his hands, his eyes wide.

"Tickle Cannon's not work on this one, Herman. He's not from here, and uh.. yeah, he's a bit mean." Herman looks confused and panicked, and after a moment the Punisher feels something crack him in the back of the head as a brick falls square onto him. It hurts, but not enough to put him down, and at this, all of the assembled villains gasp in horror.

"He took a brick! And he's still standing! Oh my Golly, what ARE YOU?!"

Mojo Central - Iron Jonah, Squirrel Girl

The scene in front of Doreen is nonsensical and mildly amusing; Frank has turned the color of a beet with frustration. He seems to have things mostly under control, though, and isn't in need of help like poor Jonah was. Still, if she hit the right buttons, he'd be back here, wouldn't he?

You can bring Punisher back if you like, or he can elect to stay.

Laff Hut - Deadpool

Despite his best efforts, Deadpool can't quite keep Spiral at bay, and ultimately loses an arm and has both kidneys hacked into for his efforts, and it's all topped off with a wonderful punch straight to the face. Oh, he's gonna have red out of every orifice for a little while after this, and he staggers, drunkenly reattaching his arm.

When he speaks, Rita just smirks, flicking the blood from her blades. "Deadpool, you know why you are fighting me. I'm a six armed blonde in a halter top, and you make crass remarks and are impossible to kill. We appeal to all male demographics, and Mojo knows it." She makes a gesture with one of her blades and grins. "Keep it coming. We're not done yet." Time seems to warp once more, and Spiral stands there, looking fresh for the fight; the previous cut seems to have vanished.

Mojo's Astral Plane - Strange

Ares once again prepares himself for impact, but either underestimates the power that Strange wields or overestimates his own durability, as the very God of War is thrown from his feet by the attack and sent tumbling backwards; it seems magic works in its own weird little way in this plane, and Ares slams his head into the ground with a curse.

The God of War goes over the nearest ledge and digs his fingers into the stone, scrabbling for purchase. He continues to curse in a multitude of languages, showing that Ares is not only versed in all forms of the art of physical combat, but also in the art of profanity. Below him is the simple expanse of eternity, and he grits his teeth as he digs his fingers into the rock, digging up small rivulets as his weight and the pull of magic begin to yank him down. "Sorcerer! Grant me succor! I yield to you, but do not let me suffer this impending fate!"

I'm allowing you to use the PP to clear your trauma; buying Deadpool's opportunity and stepping up a d4 to d6, and spending it to activate her SFX to roll time back and heal her.

Gonna Bishop/Shocker with the next update. Sorry for the delay, busy with work and the holiday and being ill.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 1, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Squirrel Girl

"And I have some words to say to you, mister!", Squirrel Girl says, leaning forward as Tippy-Toe perches on her shoulder, similarly learning forward accusatorily. "You're a grown man! What do you have to say for yourself in that suit?"

See: Squirrel Girl, #1 Iron Man fan. "That's a priceless antique! It's all dinged up now, did you know Tony Stark used that Mark I to fight the Melter and it was painstakingly restored after he had to discard it-" She pauses, and seems to catch herself. "- I'm sorry, Iron Man is just my favorite!", she adds huffily. "But we don't have time for that!"

"Anyway, I'm pretty sure Mojo is-" She pauses, as if conspiratorially whispering. "- making a number 2. I'd stay out of there until he gets back, and we can see if we can free anybody else!"

Turning back to the monitors, she watches Punisher's scene for a moment. "Well, there's Quilt- wait, no... I think that's... too fluffy? And oh, boy, it's old skull-shirt, and-" She pauses, covering her mouth as he gets hit by a brick, trying to stifle some giggles. "Maybe I should let this go... wait... no..."

"They were right! TV does rot your brain!"

Quickly, she jams on the button to try and pull Frank out of there. It might even be the right button.

Whether or not it is the right button I'll leave up to frajaq!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Doctor Strange

Strange hesitated. He could feel his hold on the mind of the monster of chaos weaken slowly, as the instincts of the beast for sheer mayhem fought to break free of Strange's will. Should he falter in the least, the demon would do everything in its power to reduce not only Ares but Strange as well to broken, bloody messes.

And as much as Strange disliked the God of War, leaving him stranded in the Mojostral plane would be too cruel a punishment. "Begone, beast of the deep!" Strange cries out as he rips open the portal to the demon's home -- Strange can see a ruined parapet under weak sunlight -- and the beast plummets back down to its strange earth. After the portal is sealed, Strange leaps to the edge of the weird platform Ares holds on to, and thrusts his arm out for the God of War to take. "Take my hand, Ares! Lest you be lost in this labyrinth for the sake of Mojo's ratings! Take it, and take your revenge on the one who placed you in this position in the first place, Mojo!"

No roll, as I'm not sure if I can make an asset or advantage for the next scene right now. Waiting on Dyne's answer.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Bishop

Bishop shrugs, "better than just staring out this window, let's find some computers." Bishop takes one last glance over at the body of Magneto, "good riddance fucker," he whispers under his breath as he lets the Technology guru lead the way.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Punisher, Frank Castle
5 PP, 6 XP

"I'm... not from here. I shouldn't be here. This place is insanity." He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. If it's possible that a disgusting creature like Mojo can be killed, Frank would make sure of that. Right now he only wished that someone, anything could zap him away from his current location.

beam me up scotty

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Deadpool

"That's true. We do appeal to males between 18-29. Mojo must be raking it in hand over fist. He paying you, by the way? Doesn't seem right to me that he's making a fortune off me and I'm not getting a share.", Deadpool remarks as he jumps back into the fight, aiming his pistols at her and firing.

Solo, D10, Merc with a Mouth, D8,Weapon (I can use 2 at once), 2d6, Enhanced Reflexes, D8, Combat Master, D10

Attacking: 2#1d10 1 6 2#1d8 6 1 2#1d6 3 1

3 opportunities, 12 (6,6), effect die 6. Proactively using Breaking the 4th Wall to change all the opportunities into d4

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
So sorry for the delay on this! First I was busy from work, but I had the update written and lost it when the forums went in the crapper earlier this week, and then I had oral surgery and was on my rear end for three or four days. Yikes.

Let's get this rolling again! I apologize in advance for the crap quality of this, I'm still on pain meds and powerful antibiotics and I don't want to have killed this game off. :saddowns:

New York City - The Punisher

As Frank searches for an immediate exit out of the bizarre transdimensional hell that he has found himself in, a massive and familiar figure fills the alleyway. The Punisher recognizes the Russian easily just by silhouette, but as the gargantuan idiot moves closer, Frank realizes that even Dragovsky couldn't escape the stupidity of the dimension.

The Russian that Frank knows towers over him, eight feet tall and half again wide. Ivan is nearly impervious to bullets just from sheer strength and muscle mass, and the man in front of him is no different.

Save for a multi-colored clown wig on his head and over-sized floppy shoes. The Russian Clown raises a bike horn and honks it once, sharply, and the other villains around him shiver in fear. He glares down at the Punisher and slowly pulls a rubber chicken from inside his finely pressed suit, and without warning, whallops Frank across the face with it, eliciting an electronic 'BU-KAW' from the device.

Mojo's Control Console - Squirrel Girl, The Punisher, and Iron Jonah

Doreen watches the screen in front of her a moment, her finger hovering over the button. The Punisher had just been hit by a rubber chicken, wielded by a man who likely bench pressed cars just for fun. It certainly fit the bill for the world he had been dropped in, and it's likely the shade of red Mr. Castle was turning would ultimately be bad for his health.

Squirrel Girl presses the button, and within moments, there is a crackling noise behind her The Punisher rematerializes next to Jonah. Fortunately, he is in much better shape then the owner of the Bugle, at least physically.

Mojo Astral Plane - Dr. Strange

Ares grasps the wrist offered to him by Strange and, with the sorcerer's help, hauls himself back up onto the hovering rock. He moves away from the edge, dragging Strange with him, before stopping and turning on his heel to face the good doctor. The god of war's face is painted with raw anger, but after a moment he grins mischievously. "Mojo has made himself no friend of mine, Strange. I would have bested you, had it not been for him, and I do not take my losses graciously."

The god of war grasps Strange's hand in a vice-grip, shaking his hand a little too firmly. "He will take me away when he sees we are not fighting, and if he is stupid enough to allow me near him, I will crush him. You will figure your own way out, I am sure of it." Releasing the Supreme Sorcerer's hand, Ares seems to bristle for a moment before turning his head. Strange follows his gaze, only to find Mojo's face once again taking over much of the skyline, and the spineless creep does not look happy.

"No no NO! NO! Shatter his fragile little skull, you buffoon! You have him on the ropes, he has bested you with MAGIC of all things!" Ares glances to Strange as Mojo rants and rolls his eyes, before simply giving Mojo a very rude gesture. The interdimensional television executive blanches at this and visibly quakes with anger, and after a moment, vanishes. Strange feels the world beneath him buckle and start to give way as the magical energies of the plane begin to surge, and after a moment, everything turns purple.

Mojo's Control Room - Strange, Squirrel Girl, Punisher, Iron Jonah, Deadpool, and Ares

The ceiling gives way to a terrible purple sky, which rips itself apart and deposits, with a distinct lack of ceremony, both Strange and Ares into the midst of the Punisher and Iron Jonah. A moment passes before Wade appears as well, though by his deft landing it seems his entrance was much better planned.

Update for Bishop and Shocker coming later since they require better writing than I can dredge up right now.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Doctor Strange

Landing hard on his buttocks in the control room, Strange gets to his feet with as much dignity as possible from the situation. "Greetings again, everyone," he says as he rubs his back, "do not be alarmed, but I found Ares." He looks around at the monitors and the various accoutrements, and Squirrel Girl's hands over Very Important Buttons. "I take it we've found something important here, no?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Asteroid M - Shocker and Bishop

The unlikely duo, with no other leads, begin to head deeper into the late Magneto's complex; there is but one exit from the room they stand in, and along the way they find many of the doors sealed and rusted shut. Through their walk, they hear the rumble of ancient machinery and the hiss of recycled air. Deep gashes run in the wall and massive cracks in the stone floor radiate from points of impact long since struck. One of the metal shutter doors is dented upwards at the bottom, with three fist sized holes in the metal, which dip down as if someone had used them as grips; beneath it lie a tattered blue uniform with a lightning bolt across the chest; Bishop recognizes it as the uniform of Pietro Maximoff, better known as Quicksilver. Kneeling down, he finds the uniform was ripped off in a hurry, and spies dried blood on the back of the uniform, where it has been torn, as well as on the underside of the door.

Peering into the room beyond with the help of his flashlight, Bishop sees that it's simply Pietro's sleeping quarters. The room looks trashed; the future cop sets his flashlight down and gives the door an experimental tug, but the rusted metal whines and refuses to move. He stands, trying the holes further up to see if he can get a better view, but something red and black hangs in the way. Stepping back, Bishop motions for Shocker to step aside, and unleashes a blast of energy at the top of the door, bringing it down with a clatter into the hallway. Attached to the back of the door is a mask that makes Shocker's stomach fall, as he looks into the cracked lenses of Spider-Man. The mask is tattered and dirty, and seems to have been glued on; other scraps of uniform are stuck as well, and giving them a tug reveals stringy strands of old webbing.

Inside, the room is an absolute mess. The wall crawler seems to have perfected his web formula, as strands of it hang from the ceiling and walls, some flecked with the rusty red of old blood. It seems that Pietro and Spider-Man had gotten into a fight in the room somehow, and by the looks of it, Spider-Man had won. But why would he be up here?

Going to let you guys respond then moving you ahead ASAP.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Bishop

"What in the hell happened here," Bishop mutters under his breath as he peers into the room. "Why the hell would Spidey be up here fighting loving Quicksilver?" The cop quickly shakes his head. All this was fake, a stupid loving set up by that fat bastard sent them here. The sooner they figured out whatever game he was at, the sooner they could get off this obsurd, make-believe murder mystery.

"You wanna hang around here, Shock, or should we keep going?"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Shocker
Buddy d10, 4 PP, 5 XP, No Stress/Complications

Spider-Man's shattered mask simultaneously fills Shocker with many conflicting emotions. The webslinger's broken mask had always been a dream of his; finally proving, once and for all that he wasn't a laughingstock. But now, Herman doesn't know how to feel. Even if he might still resent (and fear) Spider-Man for all the beatings over the years, they were both heroes now. Or had been, at least. It didn't seem likely that Spider-Man was still around. The thought of that makes Herman sad, for reasons he can't fully figure out. There's one thing he can make out through the many confusing thoughts and feelings; he can't stay here any longer.

"Let's- Let's keep moving. It doesn't look like there's anyone... anything left here we can use."

As he turns to go, some stray thought bubbles to the surface and stops Shocker for a moment. He turns back to the door.

"Uh, wait one moment. I, uh..."

Shocker lets the thought trail off, unable to find the right words. He stoops down over the door and picks up Spider-Man's mask.

Carefully folding the mask before slipping it into a pocket, Shocker stands and turns back to Bishop.

"Okay. We can go now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Squirrel Girl

Squirrel Girl beams with pride. "Yep! Looks like I found his central control room!", she says, wrists on her hips. "Ares, though? Gosh, we sure keep bringing in some real anti-heroes! But as long as you're down with stopping Mojo, I'll give you a pardon on your criminal ways until we get back to Earth!" She seems to be perfectly serious about that notion, but then, she is probably the most "Superhero with a capital S" out of the assembled captives. All she

"It looks like all we're missing are Officer Bishop and that Quilt-Man fellow, though!", she declares, and then looks back to the screens, rubbing her chin. "Once we get them back, we can take on Mojo!... once Mojo finishes..." She searches for the right term, and then stage-whispers, "... taking care of business."

• Locked thread