Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

skipdogg posted:

I once had some hard water spotting that sat long enough it etched the clear. Nothing short of a full polish will get rid of it.

Well, there isn't really much of a clearcoat. There's literally no paint on some of the non-metal parts, and this thing was keyed to gently caress years ago (former teachers' car). I'm just hoping there is some magic formula I can do to make it look less lovely. It'd probably be cheaper to give it a single stage paint job at the local 'too drunk/stoned to work at walmart' shop, but that costs money. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

West SAAB Story posted:

Well, there isn't really much of a clearcoat. There's literally no paint on some of the non-metal parts, and this thing was keyed to gently caress years ago (former teachers' car). I'm just hoping there is some magic formula I can do to make it look less lovely. It'd probably be cheaper to give it a single stage paint job at the local 'too drunk/stoned to work at walmart' shop, but that costs money. :ohdear:

Rocker guard, it's always the answer, you'll get a car that's all the same colour, scratch resistant, possibly bomb proof, no maintenance, only draw back is weight.

Otherwise that damage sounds beyond the grasp of a simple cut and polish. Cleaning it up might make it look worse since it draws more attention to the deeper scratches/paint flaws that can't be fixed.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Bajaha posted:

Rocker guard, it's always the answer, you'll get a car that's all the same colour, scratch resistant, possibly bomb proof, no maintenance, only draw back is weight.

Otherwise that damage sounds beyond the grasp of a simple cut and polish. Cleaning it up might make it look worse since it draws more attention to the deeper scratches/paint flaws that can't be fixed.

So, I should plastidip the whole loving thing, then?

P.S. It's not a Subaru, or even a Saabaru, so I don't know if rattlecan will even adhere. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If that's the case, you'd probably be better off looking at one of the color waxes. Get the black wax (wear gloves) and that helps to stain some of the etched/worn areas. It won't look stunning, but it can often make a crap bag (or some Saabs) look reasonable.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

If that's the case, you'd probably be better off looking at one of the color waxes. Get the black wax (wear gloves) and that helps to stain some of the etched/worn areas. It won't look stunning, but it can often make a crap bag (or some Saabs) look reasonable.

What if I want to go as Al Jolson this year for Halloween?

I'll probably try just that. The poor car is not pretty, but I keep telling myself its the DD, and it doesn't need to be. That said, I'm already wasting money on it to try to make it less appalling. :ohdear:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got some time?
50$ Worth of paint goes a long LONG way.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ratbert90 posted:

Got some time?

I'll have plenty of time in the near future, but I will probably only have one usable limb (rather than 1.2-1.4 currently). I've seen several of these, and they're amazing (in the end), but I lack the drive. I'll have to revisit after I'm on barbiturates.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone tried removing paint from sun visors? Previous owner painted both by hand with a brush, but, not sure what type of paint. Probably been on there for a good few years now. Thrown Turpentine, Goof Off, Graffiti remover, brake fluid, bleach, and a load of other stuff at it without too much success.

Currently have ended up with this:

Any ideas on what could get this off?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

PhoenixWing posted:

Any ideas on what could get this off?

Buy another one. There's no way that will come off in any way that would resemble what it was prior to painting.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
20,000 leagues under the chamois. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I found this guy: http://boise.craigslist.org/aos/4385468993.html for my paint.

400$ For paint + labor on the hood, roof, and qp, 450$ If I want him to paint the rear bumper as well (it will be.) Sweet!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

So I found this guy: http://boise.craigslist.org/aos/4385468993.html for my paint.

400$ For paint + labor on the hood, roof, and qp, 450$ If I want him to paint the rear bumper as well (it will be.) Sweet!

A painter who can't spell the material he supposedly works with every day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

A painter who can't spell the material he supposedly works with every day.

English isn't his first language. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey guys!

Folex is awesome!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Oh hey guys!

Folex is awesome!

You're insane and I love it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's a never ending hole of terribleness. You think it can't be any dirtier, and yet, it DOES.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck :(

Pulling into the garage last night and was a bit too hasty. Looks like I brushed up against the garage door pillar (I thought I heard the car hesitate slightly as I was pulling in).

The garage door pillar looks to be drywall, so it's possible the damage isn't too bad.

What can I use to clean off the area and see if the damage is any worse than it appears?

Just regular soap/water?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Get a clay bar.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I bet a ton of that will come off with a clay bar and polish. Drywall is soft as hell be thankful you didnt scrape a block wall.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I would go straight to Magic Eraser on that, then polish and walk away.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So since I pretty successfully got my car's exterior in good shape, it's now covered in AZ dust from being driven around. Not dirty, just a thin layer of dust from the ambient outdoors.

Would one of those california car dusters be as good an option as any to remove the dust without causing any scratches? I'm mega paranoid about scratching it now. Also, is it safe to assume that the waxing I gave it should protect the paint from dust somewhat?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Linux Nazi posted:

So since I pretty successfully got my car's exterior in good shape, it's now covered in AZ dust from being driven around. Not dirty, just a thin layer of dust from the ambient outdoors.

Would one of those california car dusters be as good an option as any to remove the dust without causing any scratches? I'm mega paranoid about scratching it now. Also, is it safe to assume that the waxing I gave it should protect the paint from dust somewhat?

Some people say the California Car Dusters can scratch, but if it's clean to start out with, there would be the most minutely insignificant marks, at best. I use one on occasion, but dust/pollen is what they are primarily made for. Around here it rains more often than not, so just dusting a car off doesn't typically do much for it.

In the summer though? Yeah, I use a duster to no ill effect.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Some people say the California Car Dusters can scratch, but if it's clean to start out with, there would be the most minutely insignificant marks, at best. I use one on occasion, but dust/pollen is what they are primarily made for. Around here it rains more often than not, so just dusting a car off doesn't typically do much for it.

In the summer though? Yeah, I use a duster to no ill effect.

I use a duster as well for super light dust. Never had a scratch. :shrug:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI - Autogeek is having a 15% off sale with free shipping over $150. Code is MEM2014.

I'm probably going to order either some OptiCoat or CQuartz. My C7 gets built next week and I want to put a permanent paint sealant on it when I take delivery. Currently working through the 35 page thread on Autogeek comparing the two before I decide. Ratbert do you have a preference?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is orange peel on the top of the clear coat, or is it between the clear coat and the paint?

Wash, clay bar, Sonax Polymer Netshield, Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

I think Subaru considers you lucky that your car even comes with paint.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Black cars are the best.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

Black cars are the best.

New thread title.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

FogHelmut posted:

Is orange peel on the top of the clear coat, or is it between the clear coat and the paint?

Wash, clay bar, Sonax Polymer Netshield, Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

I think Subaru considers you lucky that your car even comes with paint.

Orange peel is usually the texture of the paint exacerbated by the clear coat i believe?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yes it is. It's pretty rare to get orange peel in the base. Wet sanding or denim pads will clear up the orange peel just fine.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Washed and spray waxed my Si today, I really like Meguiar's Utimate Quick Wax. There are still random bug spots that I missed, which is really annoying. I need to find something that I can spray on that will dissolve bug guts but is safe for the paint.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Strawberry posted:

Washed and spray waxed my Si today, I really like Meguiar's Utimate Quick Wax. There are still random bug spots that I missed, which is really annoying. I need to find something that I can spray on that will dissolve bug guts but is safe for the paint.

My fiance hasn't washed her car in a good 2 months. About 6 weeks ago, I cleaned half of her hood with Meguiar's Quick Detailer, and then sprayed on the Quick Wax. While it is filthy enough now that both sides match, you can still see a definitive line down the middle of the hood - the one side shines just a little more through all of the dirt. I'm really surprised, I figured that spray on stuff wouldn't last more than a couple days.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have been studying lately for interviews and so the Suby has been on the backburner. I did get all engine maintnence done to it though.

New Valve cover gaskets.
New Timing belt/water pump/cam seals/Front Main seal/Tensioner/Idlers
New Accessory Belt
Every single fluid was replaced in the engine, the coolant was replaced twice. :v:
New Thermostat
New Plugs and wires.
A seafoam enema. :getin:

All in all I don't think that was too bad for a free car.

Next up is the Suspension and the rest of the interior!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go make a project thread, you sperg.

I'm probably going to polish Fatcow's NB2 before he takes it down to South Carolina. It's going to be the first non-black car I have detailed and I'll try to use my new camera to take pictures (versus relying on a camera phone).

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Anyone doing Rinseless washes?

I really would like to avoid dragging out my hose and washing the car the traditional way. Reading Autogeek forums it seems everyone really likes Optimum No Rinse or Ultima Waterless Wash Plus.

I bought ONR Wash & Wax and I'm going to try this guys method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTStk7vLKuM

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

KennyLoggins posted:

I really would like to avoid dragging out my hose and washing the car the traditional way. Reading Autogeek forums it seems everyone really likes Optimum No Rinse or Ultima Waterless Wash Plus.

I've done ONR hundreds of times in the past and have been really successful combining it with the 2 bucket method. Was able to wash, dry and spray wax my car in about 1.5hrs (I was slow as gently caress).

If the car was really, really dirty (I'm in New England, so salt), I would take it to a pay-and-spray and just rinse it off with a power washer first.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got a black camera to go with my black car.

Black cars rule.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

KennyLoggins posted:

ONR is amazing stuff and there is no "wrong" method. Put it on, dry it off, and you will have a beautiful car.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Will a drive through car wash strip all the wax off of my car?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It'll do a bad job and add a bunch of scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

They're hard to find, but some gas stations have touchless drive through washes that just spray jets of water at your car. It's not as good as hand washing it, but great for when it's really hot outside or you're just lazy.