Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The wife and I started Game of Thrones. I hate medieval/fantasy that isn't Lord of the Rings so we avoided it for a long time, but holy poo poo it's worth watching just for Sex Dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

computer parts posted:

I just finished Leverage, and while the whole series was very entertaining, the final episode just sort of...ended. I get that it was cancelled but I heard that this ending was sort of planned in advance so it seemed kind of weird. Pretty good show though.

The foreshadowing they did was really hamhanded and sloppy. I could see where they were going, but they just didn't sell it. Too bad, because I loved that show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The wife and I started Game of Thrones. I hate medieval/fantasy that isn't Lord of the Rings so we avoided it for a long time, but holy poo poo it's worth watching just for Sex Dwarf.

It's the most engrossing/dense show I've ever seen. The fourth season has been my favourite so far.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Recently I discovered Chosen on Crackle. If you're a fan of Milo Ventimiglia definitely check it out; it's about this massive conspiracy to have people kill each other in the name of the Game. (The Game being, 'kill the random stranger whose name and picture you just received; you have until the expiration date at the bottom of the photo---if you don't we'll abduct and kill your loved ones'.)

Plus each episode is twenty minutes and change, so it goes fast.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been watching House of Cards. I usually hate anything to do with politics, but this is eating up a bit of my time.

Also Kate Mara's bewbs.

Blacklist preposterous show, but drat Spader can chew the gently caress out of some hardwood scenery.

Manta Ray's don't have stinger.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 19, 2014

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Just finished the first season of Ray Donovan and am all caught on with Fargo.

I've got a bunch of other shows in my queue, but they're all hour-long dramas (Friday Night Lights, Americans, final season of Damages, etc.).

I'm looking for a comedy to break up the rhythm of these dramas. If anyone has suggestions for comedies I may have missed (e.g. Party Down, Better off Ted, Rick and Morty), they would be greatly appreciated.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just finishedHelix yesterday. The first four episodes were great, very tense stuff. But then it goes into ancient conspiracy/immortal cabals bullshit and I totally lost interest at that point. It started off as The Thing with viral zombies a la Prototype and ended as a third rate Millennium. Disappointing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I started Fringe a week or so ago, and it was almost impossible to make it through the first season. The show is procedural to a fault. I thought Person of Interest juggled Procedural and Serial elements as if it were an art form, but even the big world-building Fringe episodes have some bad monster of the week plot. Around episode 15 it started to pick up, and now it's pretty entertaining with the Observers and Brain tissue being kept alive in other people's brains. I like the little apple/butterfly/whatever things between commercials. I'm sure the dots mean something but haven't looked up what yet.

Also that bald little empath kid is totally an observer. Has to be.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
e: nvm

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 20, 2014

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

homo punching bag posted:

I started Fringe a week or so ago, and it was almost impossible to make it through the first season. The show is procedural to a fault. I thought Person of Interest juggled Procedural and Serial elements as if it were an art form, but even the big world-building Fringe episodes have some bad monster of the week plot. Around episode 15 it started to pick up, and now it's pretty entertaining with the Observers and Brain tissue being kept alive in other people's brains. I like the little apple/butterfly/whatever things between commercials. I'm sure the dots mean something but haven't looked up what yet.

As it goes on, Fringe does get less and less procedural, which works out well for it. It's usually at its weakest (Although still pretty decent usually) when it is just doing monsters of the week, with some exceptions.

On the apples/butterflies/etc (spoilered in case you don't want to know yet): those are glyphs. Each one is tied to a letter and they spell out different words throughout the commercial breaks, usually dealing with that week's episode.

NeuroticLich fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 20, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

homo punching bag posted:

You're a stronger person than I am, then, because I just kind of stopped watching S1 before it got noticeably better. It's not bad or anything, but even as a big fan of MotW X-Files episodes, these just never clicked for me the same way. I know it's all supposed to get pretty good later on so I might come back once I watch everything else first.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mobby_6kl posted:

You're a stronger person than I am, then, because I just kind of stopped watching S1 before it got noticeably better. It's not bad or anything, but even as a big fan of MotW X-Files episodes, these just never clicked for me the same way. I know it's all supposed to get pretty good later on so I might come back once I watch everything else first.
Most of season 1 was straight-up background noise while I did other things, and every once in a while I'd go back to watching and dare it to catch my interest. Eventually it did, but just for the other worlds plot line. The MOTW stuff is waaaaaaaayyyy too far out there. Like completely ridiculously off the wall unbelievable. I get that it's 'fringe' science but there's got to be SOME basis in reality or I tune out. X-Files always did this really well. I love that show.

I powered through because I kept hearing it gets proper crazy eventually and has a very satisfying ending. So far it's getting pretty weird and I really like Dr.Bishop and Farnsworth but not the other two.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 20, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love Fringe overall but season 1 was bad. So loving boring.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I've been going through Vikings (The Vikings?) and enjoying it so far. Finished season 1 in a few days and now starting on season 2. :black101:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished watching Twin Peaks. Less impressed than I expected to be, given the level of hype. Part of that I'm sure is that I've been exposed to two decades' worth of programs that built on Twin Peaks' legacy, so it seemed less novel to me than it would have when it first came out. But part of it is also just my standard problem with a lot of Lynch's stuff: the characters are just such blown-out caricatures that they don't seem like real people, so it's hard to get emotionally invested in anything that's going on. That can be interesting and entertaining to some extent, but not as much as it would be if the writing and acting were a little more human. It's not as grating to me in Twin Peaks as it was in my least-favorite Lynch stuff (I'm looking at you, Wild At Heart), but I wouldn't put it up with the things of his that I think really work (Blue Velvet and Eraserhead).

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 20, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Zeta posted:

My problem with it is that sometimes it wanted to be outright magic and sometimes it just wanted to be a slight exaggeration of reality. Thankfully we had the end of S1 to clarify which they were going for.

(and that was legitimately the biggest "holy poo poo" moment I've had)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't mind season one on the whole, but I probably would've thought much less of it if I'd seen either The X-Files or Alias before I watched it. Season two is a pretty big step up, though.

Anyway, I'm still binging through Sliders at the moment. I'm on season four. Not sure what I'll watch next; I don't feel like trying another post-2000 series just yet.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

computer parts posted:

My problem with it is that sometimes it wanted to be outright magic and sometimes it just wanted to be a slight exaggeration of reality. Thankfully we had the end of S1 to clarify which they were going for.

(and that was legitimately the biggest "holy poo poo" moment I've had)

I got to the end of that season thinking "Fringe, every episode should have included a twist that mind-blowing, and you shouldn't telegraph them so obviously." There were one or two episodes which actually got my attention (the one which cold-opens in a totally different universe, the one where Anna Torv breaks out of Liberty Island) but overall the whole series was just humdrum. Paper-thin science, uncharismatic male lead. I also spent five seasons waiting for Jasika Nicole to get some character development, and nope :(

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well Bizarro Walter just walked into the room. Neat

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

qntm posted:

I got to the end of that season thinking "Fringe, every episode should have included a twist that mind-blowing, and you shouldn't telegraph them so obviously." There were one or two episodes which actually got my attention (the one which cold-opens in a totally different universe, the one where Anna Torv breaks out of Liberty Island) but overall the whole series was just humdrum. Paper-thin science, uncharismatic male lead. I also spent five seasons waiting for Jasika Nicole to get some character development, and nope :(

I still can't believe that they didn't give Astrid any sort of real character development, history or hell, anything to do other than take care of Walter over the course of five seasons. Her character deserved so much better than what she got.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vanderdeath posted:

I still can't believe that they didn't give Astrid any sort of real character development, history or hell, anything to do other than take care of Walter over the course of five seasons. Her character deserved so much better than what she got.
Asterisk?

I'm at season 3 now and they're using that gel gas from the bus episode to encase buildings. That's cool.

EDIT: Holy poo poo the retro intros are amazing. with 'personal computing' and 'virtual reality' etc. instead of the regular wacky science stuff. This show really does get good after season 1 and half of season 2

EDIT2: LMAO blonde woman doing the nemoy voice? What is happening????

EDIT3: Cartoons? everything's CARTOONS?!? gently caress this is such a great show when it isn't taking itself seriously.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 23, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks Fringe, now Netflix seems to think I'm a pedophile

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I started watching 24 recently. I'm almost done with season 1 and yet again I am reminded that everything is better with Dennis Hopper.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

MrCodeDude posted:

Just finished the first season of Ray Donovan and am all caught on with Fargo.

I've got a bunch of other shows in my queue, but they're all hour-long dramas (Friday Night Lights, Americans, final season of Damages, etc.).

I'm looking for a comedy to break up the rhythm of these dramas. If anyone has suggestions for comedies I may have missed (e.g. Party Down, Better off Ted, Rick and Morty), they would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed Rick and Morty, you might want to check out The Venture Brothers. It's basically like Johnny Quest grew up to be a Super Scientist fighting supervillains, but grew tired of dealing with all that crap.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Still making my way through Prison Break, still loving it. I'm a couple of episodes into season 3 as of now, but so far season 2 is my favorite season.

William Fichtner is absolutely fantastic, Mahone is the most interesting character on the show, with T-Bag in a close second.

Robert Knepper also just keeps getting better and better. He's drat good at playing such a despicable guy, but I really just want to see more of him and Mahone.

I think my only major complaint is that the conspiracy is starting to get too ridiculous (and boy I do usually love ridiculous conspiracy stories). Maybe by season's end this will make more sense, but at least with the whole "Sona" deal, it almost feels too much like "this is exactly where we want him and what we want him to do." (Hell, the quiet conspirator practically says that at one point)

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I loved season 2 of Prison Break. A lot of people said the quality dropped after season 1, when they'd actually broken out, but I thought that was an intense story, just non stop action.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I loved all of Prison Break, from beginning to end. I'll admit the conspiracy really goes off the rails in the later seasons but that's what makes it so much fun for me. Fichtner elevates everything he does, and another well known actor joins the cast in season 4 and becomes a lot of fun to watch. T-Bag was my absolute favorite character, with Bellick a close second. Paul Adelstein as Kellerman was really good as well, and I like watching him on Scandal. Hell, I even liked Gretchen! It's been a year or so since I've seen it so it may be time for another (4th?!) rewatch :v:

I probably like the show way more than I should!

Speaking of Robert Knepper, has anyone seen Cult which I think is on Hulu? I've seen mixed reviews, with most being "it's awful", but with some "give it a chance to get going" opinions in there.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 24, 2014

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

kloa posted:

I've been going through Vikings (The Vikings?) and enjoying it so far. Finished season 1 in a few days and now starting on season 2. :black101:

That much vikings all at once? You'll have to fight the urge get an axe and start a-plundering

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

pahuyuth posted:

Speaking of Robert Knepper, has anyone seen Cult which I think is on Hulu? I've seen mixed reviews, with most being "it's awful", but with some "give it a chance to get going" opinions in there.

I only watched the first episode. It's really bad and as far as I know they only aired 13eps because they were already filmed so dont expect a good ending.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Greyish Orange posted:

I loved season 2 of Prison Break. A lot of people said the quality dropped after season 1, when they'd actually broken out, but I thought that was an intense story, just non stop action.

I got bored about halfway through season 2, but I think I burned myself out on it because I was watching 3 or 4 episodes a day, so I might pick it back up again.

Speaking of shows I turned my back on, right now I'm hooked on South Park. I loved it as a kid/teenager, but I stopped watching sometime in 2008, because I felt that, at the time, it was getting too political and that Trey and Matt had run out of good ideas. I realize now that I was completely wrong. I decided to rent The Stick of Truth from Redbox on a whim a couple weeks ago, and ended up loving it, and it inspired me to re-watch older episodes and catch up on everything I had missed. I haven't been watching it in any particular order, but despite a couple duds, most of the post-2008 episodes I've seen so far have been really good. The Black Friday trilogy was fantastic, classic South Park.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I started watching Vikings and I'm about 2/3 of the first season. Does the main characters has the bluest eyes on the planet or what? There are some scenes where his eyes are enve bluer (sp?) thanks to cgi. Does it mean something in the long run or does the director just digs Travis Fimmel's eyes?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Amazon getting HBO's backlog is amazing. I just started The Wire. The discussion I had seen on these forums had made me think that the show was going to be slow, but I've been hooked pretty quickly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm amazed to see people enjoying Prison Break. The first season was good, but after that it was more like Get Into Another Prison and Break Out of That. Over and over.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

ghostwritingduck posted:

Amazon getting HBO's backlog is amazing. I just started The Wire. The discussion I had seen on these forums had made me think that the show was going to be slow, but I've been hooked pretty quickly.

I envy you. I wish I could watch it again for the first time. I'm rewatching Oz and Flight of The Conchords and starting on two universally adored HBO classics that I've never seen before - Deadwood and Carnivale. I should probably pick up Six Feet Under as I haven't seen it either. So much fantastic stuff to choose from now!

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!
I just finished watching all of Suits to get ready for Season 4 in June. I absolutely loved it. Next on my list is catching back up on Game of Thrones and starting the Wire since Amazon has HBO now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

krushgroove posted:

I'm amazed to see people enjoying Prison Break. The first season was good, but after that it was more like Get Into Another Prison and Break Out of That. Over and over.

This is exactly how I remember it being too - I enjoyed season 1, the second was ok but that's as far as I had any desire to watch it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mobby_6kl posted:

This is exactly how I remember it being too - I enjoyed season 1, the second was ok but that's as far as I had any desire to watch it.

naming the show Prison Break ended up being a bit of a bad idea in the end, despite how apt it was in the beginning. I mean once you're prison broke, now what??

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

What I liked about season 2 is that the dynamic was constantly changing. Someone who is an enemy in one episode could end up being an ally two episodes later and you have no way of knowing until you get there. Bellick goes from hunting down the money to being setup for the murder T-Bag committed to working for Mahone in just a handful of episodes. It's hard to really predict what's going to happen, and that's something I appreciate in a show like this. Especially the second half of the season I found interesting because the show really starts to narrow down who it wants to focus on and resolves the storylines of the characters who aren't as fun to watch.

I'm still early in season 3, so for all I know the show could go downhill next episode or next season. I've got to see where it ends up at this point though.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Two episodes away from finishing Battlestar Galactica. I've already been spoiled for the ending so I kind of know what to expect. I have to admit, the 4th season is pretty good. A serious jump in writing quality from the 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think most people, when viewing the show for the first time, perceive the first few episodes as "slow", and then at some point, it clicks for everyone. For me, it all clicked at about episode 7. You're a lucky bastard watching it for the first time and I really do envy you. I just recently finished my first re-watch after first watching it a few years ago, and it was almost like the first time.

pahuyuth posted:

I envy you. I wish I could watch it again for the first time. I'm rewatching Oz and Flight of The Conchords and starting on two universally adored HBO classics that I've never seen before - Deadwood and Carnivale. I should probably pick up Six Feet Under as I haven't seen it either. So much fantastic stuff to choose from now!

Based on what I think I know about your preferences, pahuyuth, I think you're going to love Deadwood. Do yourself a favor and take it slow, maybe 1 or 2 episodes a day at the most, because there are only 3 seasons. I really need to check out Carnivale though, maybe I'll get on that tonight.