Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EonBlueApoc
Oct 13, 2006
I play straight up.

Pilchenstein posted:

Equilibrium is as dumb as a box of rocks but totally worth it for the fight he has with Robert the Bruce at the end.

Had to look up a clip for this. Totally did not recognize him originally.
Also noticed this ridiculous little detail:

clip for context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsz7u4eN8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about the first Mission Impossible movie is all the misleading scenes early on with Jon Voight. Mainly the stuff where he's betraying the group but they film the scenes in such a way that you don't see it, even though nobody else is there watching it happen.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
In Desolation of Smaug, why was Thorin totally willing to leave Bofur behind in Laketown? "He overslept, leave him. We can afford it." No you loving can't! You'd think he'd want every able-bodied dwarf with him in the mountain, looking for the keyhole and whatnot.

What was even the point of Bofur in particular staying behind? If you wanted someone to look for athelas to cure Kili's life threatening wound, have it be his brother; make it a bonding brotherly moment between them before they both die in the next movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was more annoyed by Smaug deciding that the best way to hurt a bunch of dwarves and a hobbit was to go burn a town of men, leaving them behind to scurry away out of his grasp and not die in dragonfire (hint that might have been a better way to give agony to the "thieves" directly in front of you).
I mean, assuming they decide to just leave the goddamn mountain while you're gone, what hope is there of tracking them down dragon or not. They're all pretty small dudes, they could just escape into some hideyhole and you'll never see them again.
For such a supposedly intelligent life form the dude was either ineptly Scooby Doo chasing them or being worse than a James Bond villain. At least slowly lowering them into a pit of piranha or some poo poo is an act that actually might end up hurting them in theory. Hell usually even James Bond villains that do the whole "I'm not going to kill you, I'm going to leave you to watch me destroy this thing you love." usually make sure that a.) they are targeting something the hero actually does treasure and b.) the hero is at least in theory incapacitated or trapped or in a poor position to escape.
Like, I get that he's a dragon but he's also dealing with fantastical creatures, these specifically being ones he KNOWS are tiny beings good at digging and hiding. Later guys!

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 22:44 on May 16, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I was more annoyed by Smaug deciding that the best way to hurt a bunch of dwarves and a hobbit was to go burn a town of men, leaving them behind to scurry away out of his grasp and not die in dragonfire (hint that might have been a better way to give agony to the "thieves" directly in front of you).
I mean, assuming they decide to just leave the goddamn mountain while you're gone, what hope is there of tracking them down dragon or not. They're all pretty small dudes, they could just escape into some hideyhole and you'll never see them again.
For such a supposedly intelligent life form the dude was either ineptly Scooby Doo chasing them or being worse than a James Bond villain. At least slowly lowering them into a pit of piranha or some poo poo is an act that actually might end up hurting them in theory. Hell usually even James Bond villains that do the whole "I'm not going to kill you, I'm going to leave you to watch me destroy this thing you love." usually make sure that a.) they are targeting something the hero actually does treasure and b.) the hero is at least in theory incapacitated or trapped or in a poor position to escape.
Like, I get that he's a dragon but he's also dealing with fantastical creatures, these specifically being ones he KNOWS are tiny beings good at digging and hiding. Later guys!

In the book it was more that Smaug assumed Bilbo was from Laketown because his riddle included the phrase "barrel rider" and thus he was scouring Bilbo's home, possibly with him in it but at least all of his friends and family would be there, right?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
One thing that was dumb as hell in those Hobbit flicks is that they once again used the stupid eagles that confused and irritated audiences in the last Rings movie. So once more, why didn't they just use the dumbass eagles to fly to their destination?

Because the idiot eagles are fully sapient and can speak and reason. In the Hobbit, the eagles didn't want to risk their eagle buddies helping Bilbo and his band of smelly dwarves, and they presumably would have just eaten Frodo and stolen the ring in LOTR.

There is no way for movie goers to know that without reading the insufferable books. With all the bloat of the new films, why did they cut that part and reintroduce a huge plot hole from a decade ago?

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't quite follow the point of starting your mass executions with floating death zeppelins in New Jersey in Captain America. Surely they could've taken the general idea, toned it down to somewhat believable levels, and still made it seem like a terrible idea that needed to be stopped.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I didn't like that they were able to identify every human being through their DNA from afar. Maybe I'm just short-sighted but I simply cannot fathom how it will ever be possible to check DNA without an actual sample from the person being tested.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Whatev posted:

One thing that was dumb as hell in those Hobbit flicks is that they once again used the stupid eagles that confused and irritated audiences in the last Rings movie. So once more, why didn't they just use the dumbass eagles to fly to their destination?

The Eagles stay out of human territory as much as possible because men have a tendency to flip out and shoot at them. They're also capricious dicks and only help Gandalf because they're bros with Radagast.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Razorwired posted:

They're capricious dicks.

birds.txt

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Squalitude posted:

I didn't like that they were able to identify every human being through their DNA from afar. Maybe I'm just short-sighted but I simply cannot fathom how it will ever be possible to check DNA without an actual sample from the person being tested.

But you were right behind a skinny guy getting injected with drugs and bombarded with Magic Science Rays that made him grow a foot and gain sixty pounds of muscle in 15 seconds, I take it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Scuse me, those were Vita-Rays, not Magic Science Rays.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The Dark Knight Rises:

You've captured/incapacitated Batman, will you:

A) Immediately shoot him in the face or B) leave him to suffer in some deathtrap (the pit or leaving him to get nuked) where he'll inevitably escape and gently caress everything up?

BOTH villains do that, you'd have thought they would learn once he returns to Gotham.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I can get over that in Batman movies, because nobody important just gets shot in the face in that universe. Same with slasher films where they mildly incapacitate Jason Vorhees or whatever and don't finish the job.
I saw the first ten minutes of the 2011 Three Musketeers movie the other day, because it was on TV and I saw that Mads Mikkelsen had a role.
Right at the beginning there was this cliche scene where person A walks into a room and suddenly person B is behind him and holds a gun to his/her head! But then it turns out that they are friends! And then it turns out that person A knew that person B was there and he actually holds a knife to his/her crotch! Wow they are so cool. And then they continue to throw witty oneliners at each other and a lot of sexual innuendo because person B is a chick with big breasts who wears a baroque dress while they break into some palace.

The movie continued to be amazingly lovely. It even starred Till Schweiger, and let me tell you as a German, it is Tarantino's greatest achievement to create a film with Till Schweiger that is not insufferably lovely.
Mads Mikkelsen however apparently plays the coolest dude in history. Some junior hero, whom the audience is supposed to like, just won't accept Mikkelsen's badassery and challenges him to a duel. The young lad then does the whole spiel with turning around and walking ten steps away from the opponent and when he turns back Mikkelsen just shoots him in the face - at least he tries, his gun was maladjusted or something and then I switched off the TV.

VVV

WS Anderson? drat, I didn't even know that, it makes so much sense. Especially how there is a scene that is a carbon copy of the laserbeam scene in Resident Evil, set in the 17th century.

sicDaniel has a new favorite as of 22:16 on May 17, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

sicDaniel posted:

Musketeer stuff.
Paul W S Anderson is a loving hack. I'll happily sit through any old poo poo in the name of entertainment but double gently caress that guy's films.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Spalec posted:

The Dark Knight Rises:

You've captured/incapacitated Batman, will you:

A) Immediately shoot him in the face or B) leave him to suffer in some deathtrap (the pit or leaving him to get nuked) where he'll inevitably escape and gently caress everything up?

BOTH villains do that, you'd have thought they would learn once he returns to Gotham.

I really loved the scene in TDK where the Joker flat out says he'll never kill Batman because he's just too much fun.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

syscall girl posted:

In the book it was more that Smaug assumed Bilbo was from Laketown because his riddle included the phrase "barrel rider" and thus he was scouring Bilbo's home, possibly with him in it but at least all of his friends and family would be there, right?

Wasn't also Bilbo invisible the entire time in the book? From what i remember part of the frustration was him not being able to see him.

I guess my pet peeve is why Smaug didn't just torch/eat Bilbo and then making a move on Laketown.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
That red haired guy with the bulldog in Pacific Rim has the worst Australian accent I've ever heard.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Razorwired posted:

The Eagles stay out of human territory as much as possible because men have a tendency to flip out and shoot at them. They're also capricious dicks and only help Gandalf because they're bros with Radagast.
Yessir, but there is no way for audiences to know that crap from seeing the films. There's never any indication that the birds are anything more than big dumb animals, so the characters seem stupid for not using them more.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Falukorv posted:

Wasn't also Bilbo invisible the entire time in the book? From what i remember part of the frustration was him not being able to see him.

I guess my pet peeve is why Smaug didn't just torch/eat Bilbo and then making a move on Laketown.
That was exactly it. Smaug also made the connection of Laketown to Bilbo through "Barrel-rider", like someone said.

Whatev posted:

Yessir, but there is no way for audiences to know that crap from seeing the films. There's never any indication that the birds are anything more than big dumb animals, so the characters seem stupid for not using them more.
This is an issue that the Youtube series Everything Wrong With addresses pretty succinctly.
here

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jedit posted:

But you were right behind a skinny guy getting injected with drugs and bombarded with Magic Science Rays that made him grow a foot and gain sixty pounds of muscle in 15 seconds, I take it.

That's it, we might as well close the thread guys, Jedit says if you note one irrational dislike you have to list every other one as well.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

sicDaniel posted:

I can get over that in Batman movies, because nobody important just gets shot in the face in that universe. Same with slasher films where they mildly incapacitate Jason Vorhees or whatever and don't finish the job.

It occasionally happens: in the 5th or 6th friday the 13th movie there's a scene where the FBI just gun him down with automatic weapons. It may or may not have stopped him, I don't remember.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Puntification posted:

It occasionally happens: in the 5th or 6th friday the 13th movie there's a scene where the FBI just gun him down with automatic weapons. It may or may not have stopped him, I don't remember.

That was in the 9th movie, Jason Goes to Hell. It was a weird one because that's the one where Jason gets the ability to swap take over bodies after he's "killed."

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

That was in the 9th movie, Jason Goes to Hell. It was a weird one because that's the one where Jason gets the ability to swap take over bodies after he's "killed."

Still less stupid than the sewage in manhattan's sewers turning him back into a little boy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A stupid thing about the end of the first Men in Black is how Will Smith has some new "stylish" version of the suit and sunglasses. Even though that defeats the whole purpose of both in the first place. They're supposed to be nondescript, not flashy. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this since they go right back to the plain versions for the sequels.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Why does it even matter how obtrusive they are if they just neuralise everyone? Motherfucker could wear a sandwich board all "YO I AM THE LIKEABLE FISH-OUT-OF-WATER EVERYMAN WHO WORKS FOR A SECRET GOVERNMENT ORGANISATION THAT MANAGES EXTRA TERRESTRIAL AFFAIRS ON EARTH" and it wouldn't matter.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
What did the morgue lady like to do sometimes when it's really late? Irritating not to know.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

Why does it even matter how obtrusive they are if they just neuralise everyone? Motherfucker could wear a sandwich board all "YO I AM THE LIKEABLE FISH-OUT-OF-WATER EVERYMAN WHO WORKS FOR A SECRET GOVERNMENT ORGANISATION THAT MANAGES EXTRA TERRESTRIAL AFFAIRS ON EARTH" and it wouldn't matter.

Because they only neuralize people who've seen extra terrestrial poo poo. They didn't neuralize the newspaper vendors or anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Supreme Allah posted:

What did the morgue lady like to do sometimes when it's really late? Irritating not to know.

She hosed the corpses.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A stupid thing about the end of the first Men in Black is how Will Smith has some new "stylish" version of the suit and sunglasses. Even though that defeats the whole purpose of both in the first place. They're supposed to be nondescript, not flashy. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this since they go right back to the plain versions for the sequels.

The blue memory eraser in the Statue Of Liberty in the secon MiB was also incredibly stupid. It would only work if every single New Yorker was looking at the Statue when it went off. What about the people facing away from it? Or the people in subways, inside their houses, sleeping, etc.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The blue memory eraser in the Statue Of Liberty in the secon MiB was also incredibly stupid. It would only work if every single New Yorker was looking at the Statue when it went off. What about the people facing away from it? Or the people in subways, inside their houses, sleeping, etc.

So you're saying it wouldn't affect the people that didn't see anything?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kinmik posted:

In Desolation of Smaug, why was Thorin totally willing to leave Bofur behind in Laketown? "He overslept, leave him. We can afford it." No you loving can't! You'd think he'd want every able-bodied dwarf with him in the mountain, looking for the keyhole and whatnot.

I thought it was more they were on a time table and had no idea how long it would take to get to the entrance?

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Star Trek: First Contact. I hated how the Borg Queen gives Data skin on his forearm to try and win him over. Give that man a dick first.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Star Trek: First Contact. I hated how the Borg Queen gives Data skin on his forearm to try and win him over. Give that man a dick first.

Data has a dick - see "The Naked Now"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, her giving him skin was stupid because he could already feel with his robot skin.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Yeah, her giving him skin was stupid because he could already feel with his robot skin.

Data's entire "I wanna be human" shtick was irritating. It makes sense for an actual robot. But he was already a sapient being. Him wanting to be human was like an alien wanting to be human. As if his own "species" wasn't good enough. That dude was basically an android racist.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Esroc posted:

That dude was basically a racist.

StarTrek.txt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Esroc posted:

Data's entire "I wanna be human" shtick was irritating. It makes sense for an actual robot. But he was already a sapient being. Him wanting to be human was like an alien wanting to be human. As if his own "species" wasn't good enough. That dude was basically an android racist.

Also the fact that he clearly had emotions the whole time and everyone acknowledged that in the way they treated him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

"Human" was really shorthand for "biological." He was mostly around humans, created by a human,etc. He probably would have been just as happy wanting to be bejoran or betazoid, but the audience relates to "human".

LeJackal posted:

StarTrek.txt

It's annoying when Vulcans say "that is a human emotion (dumbass)" to someone like Phlox who isn't loving human at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Did they ever have an episode where other semisapient robot life calls out data for being an uncle tom?

edit: Wait, poo poo, this is basically first contact isn't it

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 05:27 on May 20, 2014