Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol what software do you write
yeah I didn't want to believe that packaging, integration, configuration, and Ubuntu development was software engineering either

but after doing this and "real" software engineering on different projects and companies, it's the same drat thing just different languages and metadata

to be fair it's a bit closer to devops than "I'm just a programmer" software development because you actually have to care about stuff like deployment and building and installability and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

because they treat loving around with linux in its own right as a hobby, not a means to an end for getting actually useful poo poo done

basically they casually break core packages on the reg because they don't like the feng shui or some poo poo and expect you to follow a bunch of mailing lists to see it coming and then pick up the pieces when the whole thing goes tits up

stay the gently caress away from them

(otoh i haven't used arch)

the sad thing was that arch was unironically the best linux distro in ~2004. iirc it gave you the ability to have a gentoo-style installation if you really, really wanted, but of you just wanted the base os installed you just ran the typical installer and could pacman -Syu to upgrade all your poo poo and everything was built for whichever architecture. it ran great, the community was nice and helpful and people were frequently keeping poo poo up to date. at some point i guess the entire loving thing turned into what it is now which i imagine was some time between 2008-2010 after ubuntu had taken over everything and they could just be known as the sperg linux.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

yeah I didn't want to believe that packaging, integration, configuration, and Ubuntu development was software engineering either

but after doing this and "real" software engineering on different projects and companies, it's the same drat thing just different languages and metadata

to be fair it's a bit closer to devops than "I'm just a programmer" software development because you actually have to care about stuff like deployment and building and installability and so on

so it's like being a programmer except you gently caress with shell scripts all day

i.e. you are an unpaid hobbyist ops guy with no responsibilities

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Arch's big problem is that the community isn't great. I posted about it before in this thread.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sure, but why can't that be automated and written by the Wine team? It can't be more than an hour of work.
Here is the current wine package changelog:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7491257/

Everything in there that isn't "new upstream release" is a real problem that required some amount of work to fix.

I've automated Wine daily package builds in the past it's no big deal (and Launchpad will soon support actually doing this properly in a way that can also run the Wine test suite).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

(and do note that's just one package, I've touched a whole lot of other poo poo as well as prompted others to fix issues in other packages I've ran into, it's all one interconnected system)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the key thing is that if you don't like a standard, you don't just poo poo out a substandard package, upload it, and call it a day. you have to, you know, convince other people it's a good idea and discuss it in appropriate venues and fix the standard

ubuntu's community repos mop up all the people too stupid or obstinate to meet the (minimal) qualifications to upload to debian

idiots who just can't work with others

oh boy i cant wait to go try and wrangle a standard away from a bunch of gross linux nerds who will defend it vehemently because they're so entrenched in the process

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the key thing is that if you don't like a standard, you don't just poo poo out a substandard package, upload it, and call it a day. you have to, you know, convince other people it's a good idea and discuss it in appropriate venues and fix the standard

Go ahead and do that, then. Let me know when you successfully changed the standard.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i never liked redhat because i was scarred by RPM at a young age but it seems like the only linux for adults that want a working system and not more CJ work. this is because it's run by grown ups in a real company and not shadowhawks or debtards

but seriously get a Mac

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rhel owns

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my first experience with linux involved rpm dependency hell. gnu/linux sucks.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes install os 10

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

rhel owns

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
linux beef is the best beef

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Sniep posted:

same

but just for some admin poo poo and mostly to use as a jump box to get to other machines which are all centos

oh i wish i did this
hello from solaris 8!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

yes install os 10

this forever

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
is this where i come in and say i work with codeweavers for fixes on games for mac and linux using crossover?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

theultimo posted:

is this where i come in and say i work with codeweavers for fixes on games for mac and linux using crossover?
Sup bro have we met IRL

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

theultimo posted:

We gonna have a CodeWeavers meetup in here? Somebody go grab ColdPie

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

Sup bro have we met IRL

not sure, i started pretty recently, working with ken thomas on improving x11 mac intergration and dx10 patches.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theultimo posted:

x11 mac intergration

this is terrible, stop it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Awia posted:

oh i wish i did this
hello from solaris 8!

uhh isn't 8 unsupported now that 11 is out?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Release annoucement for a new GTK+ feature turns into an utterly irrelevant 100-post spergfight

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is why lwn owns

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

The Management posted:

this is terrible, stop it

we use a custom x wrapper to get full screen out of wine in os x. normal x11 implementation will not by default. personally, i wish parallels inc would share their dx 10 implemenaton. wine with dx 9 is fine, but with the dx10 changes it requires a new code path, which is difficult to translate into opengl calls.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theultimo posted:

we use a custom x wrapper to get full screen out of wine in os x. normal x11 implementation will not by default. personally, i wish parallels inc would share their dx 10 implemenaton. wine with dx 9 is fine, but with the dx10 changes it requires a new code path, which is difficult to translate into opengl calls.

wish youd write a wrapper to translate your posts into the garbage

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

pram posted:

wish youd write a wrapper to translate your posts into the garbage

translating posts into garbage is pretty easy I just click the quote button under your name

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mmmm kinda weak idk

pram
Jun 10, 2001
seems like that joke could have been implemented better

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

pram posted:

yeah I was rapid prototyping it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

yeah kinda sounds like how a joke would sound when you translate it from one language into another without fully understanding the nuances of one or the other of the languages

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

it is a linux joke. if you don't like it write a different and incompatible one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
shadowhawk is a living chinese room experiment

wine on ubuntu is the result

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theultimo posted:

Sniep posted:

yeah kinda sounds like how a joke would sound when you translate it from one language into another without fully understanding the nuances of one or the other of the languages

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

it is a linux joke. if you don't like it write a different and incompatible one

fork it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

theultimo posted:

not sure, i started pretty recently, working with ken thomas on improving x11 mac intergration and dx10 patches.
Ahh probably not then I missed Wineconf this year.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

uhh isn't 8 unsupported now that 11 is out?

that does not stop my company, we have a weird bulky "laptop" running windows 3.11 still in active use, its about the size of a cinder block and the keyboard clips over the screen.
and we also have some green screen terminal from the 70s (or early 80s i cant remember) that we break out occasionally. ill find the model number its pretty cool

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Awia posted:

that does not stop my company, we have a weird bulky "laptop" running windows 3.11 still in active use, its about the size of a cinder block and the keyboard clips over the screen.
and we also have some green screen terminal from the 70s (or early 80s i cant remember) that we break out occasionally. ill find the model number its pretty cool

id take pictures but i cant on site, id get into some deep poo poo if anyone saw me

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Awia posted:

found it online:

it gets used a lot im told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Awia posted:

found it online:

it gets used a lot im told

i find a bunch for sale on ebay and surplus sites but nobody says what it /does/ other than "analyzer'

what does it anal?