Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was really impressed watching Cloudy 2 the other night with my roommate. It's a cartoon that actually feels cartoony, and they do some hilarious things with the food monsters and especially with Steve, who is easily the best part.

edit:

vvvvvvv
Batman and Robin owns, fool.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Cloudy 2 is probably the exception of movies I will watch that has alot of puns.(You would hate puns yourself if you saw goddamn Batman and Robin. :mad:) It's a pretty funny animation movie. The plot does sorta weaken but it's still a pretty good movie.

Better than Despicables 2. Ooof, what a crappy movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Cloudy 2 I liked the villain a lot. Especially this exchange near the end:

"I Idolised you!"
"Yes, that was quite foolish.:D"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just finished watching Cloudy 2, While I didn't find it "way funnier than it had any right to be" like the first one, I still enjoyed it. I enjoyed the animation, the designs, the characters and the voice-acting.
Did not expect Kristen Schaal, but gratefully accepted Kristen Schaal.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

With Cloudy 2 I liked the villain a lot. Especially this exchange near the end:

"I Idolised you!"
"Yes, that was quite foolish.:D"

The best part for me was the big reveal. LIV Corp <-> EVIL Corp It was so stupid I was mad I didn't figure it out.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I didn't care much for Chester V's design when I first saw the movie, but when I did a guest spot on this podcast (which you all should listen to if you read this thread), we realized something amazing about his design in comparison to Flint's.

When Flint moves, all of his limbs just flail about wildly and they are all over the place, completely random. Chester V's limbs are also constantly in motion, but they're very smooth and controlled. It's part of the similarities of those two characters.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

The villain character has amazingly weird animation. Especially towards the end when he goes full on mandala mode.

I may have posted it before but his arms reminded me of industrial assembly line robots.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So it seems like the Legends of Oz is the end result of a massive investment scam, we're likely to see more about this movie as the news gets out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Robindaybird posted:

So it seems like the Legends of Oz is the end result of a massive investment scam, we're likely to see more about this movie as the news gets out.

Everything I've read about it seems shady as hell, but it could very well be another case of Foodfight! level overconfidence in one's competence and ability.

e: Putting this back in for context on the post below:

Pick posted:

Weirdly, Disney and Summertime Entertainment (makers of Legends of Oz) both seem to be making the same mistakes Dreamworks marketing was, but recently averted with the spoilery but at least engaging trailer for HTTYD2.

I asked if this was implying Disney had something to do with Legends of Oz, but then deleted it because it seemed like too stupid of a question.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 20, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No, she's just saying that Disney and the makers of The Legend of Oz are both guilty of the same mistake, not that they're in any way affiliated.

That said, it's not like Disney has never published a bad film made by another studio.

Edit: This post now makes no sense after raditts edited his. Still, the take home message here is that The Wild's terrible.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 20, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

raditts posted:

Everything I've read about it seems shady as hell, but it could very well be another case of Foodfight! level overconfidence in one's competence and ability.

Basically the scam is that they solicited money via coldcalling with ludicrous promises of high returns - to people who have no investment experience (Which is illegal in California and a few other states), and people estimated they raised a hell lot more then the $70 Million + How many Million in advertising from the dupes.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Plus they took 40% commissions on the money for "consulting and management" fees.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

Basically the scam is that they solicited money via coldcalling with ludicrous promises of high returns - to people who have no investment experience (Which is illegal in California and a few other states), and people estimated they raised a hell lot more then the $70 Million + How many Million in advertising from the dupes.

And they've done exactly that many times before and have lost in court over it. Dunno how they keep doing it since a little googling and you can see all their films are total stinkers. http://www.alpinepix.com/ This one seemed to really pray on the older set with fond memories of the original Wizard of Oz.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Are you telling me that Legends of Oz is literally a Spingtime for Hitler?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Except Springtime for Hitler turned a profit.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Except Springtime for Hitler turned a profit.

Yes, but that was why it was a failure.

Y'know, I saw footage from this movie at Comic-Con 2011, and I couldn't believe that it was a real honest to god movie, even with the people they trotted out to talk about it (Patrick Stewart, other non-Patrick Stewart famous people). It's nice to know that it's a hilarious scam.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Has anyone here seen the Phantom Tollbooth? I thought it was quite charming, even though Milo couldn't sing worth a drat.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Only if they would lose money if one of their movies turned into a hit unexpectedly. I don't see why they would.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

And they've done exactly that many times before and have lost in court over it. Dunno how they keep doing it since a little googling and you can see all their films are total stinkers. http://www.alpinepix.com/ This one seemed to really pray on the older set with fond memories of the original Wizard of Oz.

It doesn't surprise me considering Kevin Trudeau is still out there and able to sell his particular brand of snake oil.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

It doesn't surprise me considering Kevin Trudeau is still out there and able to sell his particular brand of snake oil.

I had a boss who was really into Kevin Trudeau. Yeah, he was about as not-smart as you would expect. Oh the stories I could tell, he was one of the owners of the company, and I'm pretty sure the other two just kept him around because he was loaded.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

I thought Trudeau went to prison a couple years back?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here's the first Big Hero 6 teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce1rIrU7_OY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aww, crap. Disney got it.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The dailymotion trailer's still up: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w2ecx_big-hero-6-trailer-1-early-trailer_shortfilms

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
And here it is officially:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/big-hero-6-exclusive-teaser-trailer-walt-disney-86509088837.html

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I never thought I'd see a Disney movie that has a protagonist with spiky anime hair.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 22, 2014

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't like how his face is basically the same style that they've used in Frozen and Tangled already. I mean, I like pretty much everything else about it, and it looks like it could be a really fun film, but jeez, change things up a bit. Maybe the 14 year old called Hiro Hamada could look a bit Asian?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

Has anyone here seen the Phantom Tollbooth? I thought it was quite charming, even though Milo couldn't sing worth a drat.

I've seen it, it's not bad, but certainly flawed. I feel like it dragged a bit much in places and the songs aren't particularly memorable.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Aw, they're making a movie about Strong Sad. :3:

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Ah man I love that he illustrates his cool robot, puts it on a frame, and then it all falls apart when he tries to animate it.

I was already supper jazzed to take my son to see this, now I'm just supper estatic.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

I don't like how his face is basically the same style that they've used in Frozen and Tangled already. I mean, I like pretty much everything else about it, and it looks like it could be a really fun film, but jeez, change things up a bit. Maybe the 14 year old called Hiro Hamada could look a bit Asian?

I was gonna say, between Hiro's design and the faux-kanji font they use for the title Tumblr is probably going to have a field day with this movie.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Red Bones posted:

Maybe the 14 year old called Hiro Hamada could look a bit Asian?

What are you talking about, he looks almost exactly like my japanese animes!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Red Bones posted:

He looks a good deal like Hiccup out of How to Train Your Dragon too, I thought, especially in the scene where he's flipping his laptop up and down. I mean, it's a charming enough design, but...it would be nice to see a bit more variety in human protagonists in animated movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Franz von Dada posted:

What are you talking about, he looks almost exactly like my japanese animes!

Animes usually depict Japanese (or at least East Asian) people though. I know a lot of Miyazaki's designs look "white" without context.

And really, only Asian people have that sort of hair in the first place.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Animes usually depict Japanese (or at least East Asian) people though. I know a lot of Miyazaki's designs look "white" without context.

And really, only Asian people have that sort of hair in the first place.

They haven't announced the full cast yet but I have faith that they'll have an actual asian dude voicing Hiro since Disney is pretty good about not whitewashing the casts of their movies (see: the entire cast of Mulan).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was gonna say, between Hiro's design and the faux-kanji font they use for the title Tumblr is probably going to have a field day with this movie.

I don't follow complete nutters but everybody seems really hyped for it. Pretty much every one of Disney's 3d animated characters looks the same but he's definitely on the more Asian end of the spectrum, I don't really see the problem.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

It has some good parts, but it's in the later ugly style that Chuck Jones used like his Tom & Jerry cartoons. Norton Juster says it's drivel and it really is an unimaginative adaptation of the book.

Gary Ross is directing the remake/re-adaptation, so it'll probably be even uglier.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They haven't announced the full cast yet but I have faith that they'll have an actual asian dude voicing Hiro since Disney is pretty good about not whitewashing the casts of their movies (see: the entire cast of Mulan).

I had to go look this up because I didn't believe it. Because right away I think of Shang, Shen Yu, and the small guy with the black eye and they were all white dudes. But looking it almost the entire cast is asian, and Eddie Murphy obviously voices Mushu. So I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Is it weird that the thing I really noticed from the Big Hero Six trailer was how well the eyes were animated on the kid? I mean I know how important it is to make sure you don't screw up when it comes to the eyes anyway, but the shots of him from behind his laptop where you only see his eyes look really nice.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Personally, I agree with the big eyes from a design standpoint. Big eyes read (and like Macaluso pointed out, they've done an impeccable job on that) and they give an immediate foundation for certain aspects of the character (youth, energy, honesty, etc.). This is your main character and in a Disney film, that means he's got to be the one most quickly identifiable to the widest range of people. It's a shortcut for that. If anything they could make the slight slant more pronounced, but I'm reserving judgment at this point.

For the record, I thought the design of Russel in Up was charming, but his face certainly didn't communicate main character qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Tangled/Frozen character designs were already pretty much "anime as gently caress" in 3D anyway, and you betcha they're going to make the character designs in their big budget blockbuster as general and non-ethnic (read: white is default) as possible.

• Locked thread