Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Zwabu posted:

On tonight's episode of Hot Pie's Inn, Hot Pie will team up with special guest Sansa Stark to show how to make your next Purple Wedding a memorable occasion with lemoncakes, pigeon pie, and Hot Pie's signature Wolfbread. Be sure to tune in for this special episode, and don't forget the words of the Hot Pie Inn, "Never Give Up On The Gravy!"

If GRRM doesn't finish the next book before the show catches up I would watch a filler season of stuff like this mixed in with Dance of Dragons and Roberts Rebellion style stuff happily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zwabu posted:

On tonight's episode of Hot Pie's Inn, Hot Pie will team up with special guest Sansa Stark to show how to make your next Purple Wedding a memorable occasion with lemoncakes, pigeon pie, and Hot Pie's signature Wolfbread. Be sure to tune in for this special episode, and don't forget the words of the Hot Pie Inn, "Never Give Up On The Gravy!"

Tonight we're going to be making a stunning wedding pigeon pie...

"RAW RAW RAW!!

SHUT IT DOWN"

kiimo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 20, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Oberyn gets defeated, Tywin better STOP THE drat MATCH before the Mountain kills him or I will hate GRRM even more than I already do. Introducing a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly would be lovely writing even for GRRM.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

old dog child posted:

Also this show has loving dragons and you're questioning the architecture?!

One conceit doesn't mean anything goes. That said, if you look at somewhere like Machu Pichu it isn't toooo much of a stretch.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Fancy Hat! posted:

So was Oberyn's speech to Tyrion, outside of saying how much he despises Cersi and wants to kill the mountain, is also to tell him he doesnt want to kill him, just pities him immensely?

I took it as people making him out to be some crazy hosed up monster, and in the end he was still human, albeit with different proportions.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

precision posted:

If Oberyn gets defeated, Tywin better STOP THE drat MATCH before the Mountain kills him or I will hate GRRM even more than I already do. Introducing a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly would be lovely writing even for GRRM.

Ned Stark died in 9 episodes. It would be perfectly consistent for GRRM to introduce and kill off Oberyn in 8.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I took it as people making him out to be some crazy hosed up monster, and in the end he was still human, albeit with different proportions.

Yeah, and there's also the irony that after all the talk of seeing a monster, the most monstrous person in that story was a girl who physically tormented and nearly mutilated a helpless baby.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Tyrion better live, I want to see him trying to outsmart Littlefinger to get his wife back and find out what Oberyns revenge plan is.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

rypakal posted:

I can honestly tell you that "this" thread or any other thread has no idea if this is true or not.

No one here wants to know what the book readers do or do not know, dipshit.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Woden posted:

Tyrion better live, I want to see him trying to outsmart Littlefinger to get his wife back and find out what Oberyns revenge plan is.

Honestly I go back and forth thinking he should go dick around with Danny. It seems like he could get her back on track now that he's probably going to be pretty pissed at the ruling groups of Westeros.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, and there's also the irony that after all the talk of seeing a monster, the most monstrous person in that story was a girl who physically tormented and nearly mutilated a helpless baby.

Very, very good insight! I had not looked at it that way.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tyrion would be much happier in Dorne I think. I'm not sure Dany is really Tyrion's scene. He can hang out with Cersei's daughter and turn her against her mother.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

How did the Lannisters (and the small council) find out about the hound saying "gently caress the king" a few episodes back? I thought Hound/Arya killed everyone in the tavern.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

He also said it when he deserted at the Battle of the Blackwater.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheDon01 posted:

How did the Lannisters (and the small council) find out about the hound saying "gently caress the king" a few episodes back? I thought Hound/Arya killed everyone in the tavern.

Aside from the tavern keep and his daughter.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

They were probably referring to his 'speech' during the Blackwater Battle.

e: f;b

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

TheDon01 posted:

Varys little birds are actually spy drones

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Ned Stark died in 9 episodes. It would be perfectly consistent for GRRM to introduce and kill off Oberyn in 8.

Doing it once is clever and interesting. To do it a second time is just trollin'.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

precision posted:

Doing it once is clever and interesting. To do it a second time is just trollin'.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Mortabis posted:

An infinite supply of expendable labor.

There's no end to what you can do when you don't give a gently caress about particular people! You can do anything!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

IncendiaC posted:

They were probably referring to his 'speech' during the Blackwater Battle.

e: f;b
I dunno, why are they just now hearing about it when that happened AT Kings Landing. Especially when they find out the episode after he says it in the tavern.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Aside from the tavern keep and his daughter.

That makes more sense, forgot about them.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

TheDon01 posted:

I dunno, why are they just now hearing about it when that happened AT Kings Landing. Especially when they find out the episode after he says it in the tavern.

That makes more sense, forgot about them.

Who's just hearing about it? The bounty on his head is for killing the Lannister men in the Tavern, the Hound just assumed it was because he told the king "gently caress you" to his face at Blackwater.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Criminal Minded posted:

Who's just hearing about it?
The Small Council, last week. Varys brings it up, but he's definitely talking about the "gently caress the king" at the tavern.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Be sure to tune in for this special episode, and don't forget the words of GRRM, "Never Give Up On The Gravy!"

ftfy

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

TheDon01 posted:

In the very same scene, the assailant says the bounty was because the Hound had been going around killing Lannister men. The Hound thought that "gently caress the king" was what had done him over, but it turns out Joffrey died and nobody gives a poo poo anymore [because they all agreed with the hound]/

kiimo posted:

Tyrion would be much happier in Dorne I think. I'm not sure Dany is really Tyrion's scene. He can hang out with Cersei's daughter and turn her against her mother.

That's probably true. Mostly it just seems like he could really use a change of scenery . It seems like there's at least a couple places out there with better climates, or at the very least political climates that support the "gently caress the Lannisters" position.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Not clicking this link but I really hope it's Wonder Showzen.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

mclast posted:

Not clicking this link but I really hope it's Wonder Showzen.

Click it, it's relevant

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Heh fair enough. I'd hoped it was this but that was worth it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus you have to figure Dany wouldn't take to a Lannister, who she thinks is responsible for a lot of the destruction of her family and throne, so Tyrion would be taking a huge gamble with that option

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

ultramiraculous posted:

In the very same scene, the assailant says the bounty was because the Hound had been going around killing Lannister men. The Hound thought that "gently caress the king" was what had done him over, but it turns out Joffrey died and nobody gives a poo poo anymore [because they all agreed with the hound]/

Not talking about last nights episode, I think it was the previous episode or the one before it when Varys at the small council says he heard word from his spies that the hound said "gently caress the king" and then killed a bunch of Lannister men. I was wondering how they heard about it when it looked like everyone was killed. But someone above reminded me about the tavern owner and daughter, they were probably interviewed by Varys' spies or are spies/sources themselves, a barkeep being a source of information is practically a trope.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thinking on it now, though, I would totally laugh my rear end off and applaud if GRRM kills/killed off Dany before she even gets to Westeros. Maybe Jorah can learn to ride a dragon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

precision posted:

Thinking on it now, though, I would totally laugh my rear end off and applaud if GRRM kills/killed off Dany before she even gets to Westeros. Maybe Jorah can learn to ride a dragon.

Turns out dragons only have a lifespan of 3 years and Dany didn't strike while the iron was hot!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

bUm posted:

"Jorah is a large middle-aged man, swarthy and very hairy. He is balding, but still strong and fit. Daenerys Targaryen considers him not particularly handsome." - ASoIaF Wiki

By the books (at present show time): Jorah is ~45±1~3 (birth year not known), Dany is 16, Littlefinger 32, and Sansa 14.

Don't worry, he's in a better place not being in the trenches of the game of thrones.

Don't underestimate the ability of tyrannical leaders with effectively (or literally) slave labor to build something grand.

Edit: The Eyrie is an extreme, "fantasy" example, but many real castles and the Great Wall of China very much defy our modern intuitive sense of getting so much material up a mountain/large hill.

Posts like these are interesting to me. I am currently avoiding the books due to not wanting to be spoiled and just being a bit busy with ~other things~ and figure I'll start reading them at a later date. But if you book readers want to give us little tid bits about "where we are" with some filler details from the books, I personally would love it.

I'd hope the rest of you clowns agree.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Are the dragons not in this season because of lack of CGI money or has Danaerys just given them free reign? They had the thing at the start with the whole "they can't be tamed" thing but how will Danaerys get them back when she wants to go to Westeros?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
They were just in last week's episode burninating some goats.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Are the dragons not in this season because of lack of CGI money or has Danaerys just given them free reign? They had the thing at the start with the whole "they can't be tamed" thing but how will Danaerys get them back when she wants to go to Westeros?

:confused:

The dragons showed up a few times already, one snapped at Dany when they were fighting over meat and they roasted that poor goatherd's flock a couple episodes ago.

But yeah, their appearance has always been limited because they are a huge CG budget sink. Especially now since they're kinda big.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

precision posted:

I hear a lot of this criticism about GRRM on these forums. Most people who I've actually talked to who have read at least the first book seem to really like it. Is it pretty much, you either love his writing or you hate it? Or is it just one of those "goons being goons, don't mind them" kind of thing? And hey, been a goon a while myself. So I "get it." Rage only means we care harder.

The man tells a good story end of the day. Killing Oberyn off early would suck royally I agree! Why introduce a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly? Because that would be mean he's a loving genius and Scheherazade (aka GRRM) has ways of torturing us for the next couple of years with this "Fun and entertaining television" show.

It's a soap opera. They all are. You know it, I know it. Everyone loving knows it. It's just written better, acted better, pulls at our stupid, childish fantasy heart strings, and everyone's just raging on GURM because he's good at it. He just better live long enough to finish it up, otherwise whoever else steps in would either go fan focused and go with "HAPPY" or not have the vision and drag it out until we have a show with Tommen and the loving cat as the main characters. Searching for mice each day in ol' King's Landing.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Jerusalem posted:

Turns out dragons only have a lifespan of 3 years and Dany didn't strike while the iron was hot!
I really want there to be a good reason how and why dragons are such a rarity in this universe. Do they have a short lifespan or weird reproduction issues? They don't seem like something humans can effectively domesticate or cull, so even owning/using them seems like a major problem that's going to need to be addressed at some point in the show; when you're not using them to conquer they seem like a civilization-wide white elephant.

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 20, 2014

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

snucks posted:

I really want there to be a good reason how and why dragons are such a rarity in this universe. Do they have a short lifespan or weird reproduction issues? They don't seem like something humans can effectively domesticate or cull, so even owning/using them seems like a major problem that's going to need to be addressed at some point in the show.

I dunno man. Being born with the assistance of some blonde chick in the desert within a bonfire seems kinda like rare occurrences to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

snucks posted:

I really want there to be a good reason how and why dragons are such a rarity in this universe. Do they have a short lifespan or weird reproduction issues? They don't seem like something humans can effectively domesticate or cull, so even owning/using them seems like a major problem that's going to need to be addressed at some point in the show; when you're not using them to conquer they seem like a civilization-wide white elephant.

Dragons are magic.

• Locked thread