Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That and while they may have been hunted to [near] extinction in that continent, there are probably poo poo tons of them in the across the oceans. There have always been stories and sightings from far off lands, but they get discounted.

Also, they may have just migrated away during that big volcano explosion back in the day - the Time of Doom or whatever bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kevyn posted:

Game of throwns

Goon is lord of awful puns.

Thane of groans.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

snucks posted:

I really want there to be a good reason how and why dragons are such a rarity in this universe. Do they have a short lifespan or weird reproduction issues? They don't seem like something humans can effectively domesticate or cull, so even owning/using them seems like a major problem that's going to need to be addressed at some point in the show; when you're not using them to conquer they seem like a civilization-wide white elephant.

They talk about how once they became domesticated and caged, the dragons just didn't grow as large as they used to. That combined with poor breeding lead to their gradual extinction. They say that the last dragon was a small and twisted that it could barely be called a dragon.

They also have a close tie with magic in the world. They said that when the last dragon died, the last bit of magic went out in the world. Whether this is a "chicken or the egg?" situation, or something larger had a hand in it, magic, and dragons, came back into the world at roughly the same time: when the red comet appeared and when summer ended.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
It's mostly talked about in DVD extras and stuff moreso than the actual show, but there used to be a ton of dragons in Valyria, where the Targaryens came from. In addition to the breeding issues the above poster talked about, Valyria kinda literally exploded in an event called the Doom of Valyria that wiped out almost all the dragons and Valyrians in one go (probably via supervolcano). After that, the only dragons left were those that Aegon took to Westeros.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I like knowing that poo poo. Thanks!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Shadow posted:

I hear a lot of this criticism about GRRM on these forums. Most people who I've actually talked to who have read at least the first book seem to really like it. Is it pretty much, you either love his writing or you hate it? Or is it just one of those "goons being goons, don't mind them" kind of thing? And hey, been a goon a while myself. So I "get it." Rage only means we care harder.

Nobody is patient enough to not hate GRRM if they started reading the books when they first came out. Anyone who says otherwise is pretending.

A Game of Thrones came out in 1996. Think about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shadow posted:

I hear a lot of this criticism about GRRM on these forums. Most people who I've actually talked to who have read at least the first book seem to really like it. Is it pretty much, you either love his writing or you hate it? Or is it just one of those "goons being goons, don't mind them" kind of thing? And hey, been a goon a while myself. So I "get it." Rage only means we care harder.

The man tells a good story end of the day. Killing Oberyn off early would suck royally I agree! Why introduce a character that cool, nuanced and potentially important only to off him so quickly? Because that would be mean he's a loving genius and Scheherazade (aka GRRM) has ways of torturing us for the next couple of years with this "Fun and entertaining television" show.

It's a soap opera. They all are. You know it, I know it. Everyone loving knows it. It's just written better, acted better, pulls at our stupid, childish fantasy heart strings, and everyone's just raging on GURM because he's good at it. He just better live long enough to finish it up, otherwise whoever else steps in would either go fan focused and go with "HAPPY" or not have the vision and drag it out until we have a show with Tommen and the loving cat as the main characters. Searching for mice each day in ol' King's Landing.

The problem is that it is predictable. "Here is a character that is awesome. He/she will suffer horribly." It's bad storytelling not because bad things happen to people we like, but because everything becomes telegraphed. Jaime becomes likable? Hand chopped off. Ned dies. Robb gets Red Wedding'd. It's something you have to use sparingly, and not do it to every loving character. I'm already fully expecting The Hound to die this season purely because he has become a very interesting character.

We will have to disagree that GRRM is a genius because the first two books are two of the worst books I have ever read and the fact that the show has made them into a good story is a miracle.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Looked some stuff up on my own and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTL_oF3GYE4
So it looks like dragons came from volcanos and were wiped out by volcanos, and are literally magic. Magic feels like a cop-out for a series that has a lot of historical and scientific fact underlying its worldbuilding, but it's cool that the magic itself has some unexplained internal logic (magic's potency wanes and waxes like some weird cosmic force, it seems bound to the elements of fire and ice, etc)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Shadow posted:

Posts like these are interesting to me. I am currently avoiding the books due to not wanting to be spoiled and just being a bit busy with ~other things~ and figure I'll start reading them at a later date. But if you book readers want to give us little tid bits about "where we are" with some filler details from the books, I personally would love it.

I'd hope the rest of you clowns agree.

Well not really. I thought the whole point of the TV threads were that the books do not exist. These threads are about the show, what information they give us in the show and nothing else.
I don't care if the books say a character is 16 or 60 - if the character is 20 in the show they are 20.

From the OP

NO SPOILERS, NO BOOK TALK, AND FOR THE LOVE OF THE RED GOD NO TALK ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF SPOILERS AND BOOKS
Any questions about the books can be sent by PM to
Toast Museum
Revenant Threshold
Ballz
Carlton Banks Teller
Max
The Kawaiiest
Hedrigall

We know our stuff.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Higsian posted:

Nobody is patient enough to not hate GRRM if they started reading the books when they first came out. Anyone who says otherwise is pretending.

A Game of Thrones came out in 1996. Think about it.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I first read it in 98 when I was like, 17. I mean, I completely understand that the guy is only human and writing books is a lot of work but this is a bit much I think.

I don't think he's a bad writer though. He's no genius but I enjoy his writing.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Considering that Season 1 is basically a photocopy of the first book in the series and Season 2/Book 2 are still close, I'd be very interested to hear how someone thinks it could go from 'one of the worst books they've ever read' to a TV show they apparently really enjoy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

KamikazePotato posted:

Considering that Season 1 is basically a photocopy of the first book in the series and Season 2/Book 2 are still close, I'd be very interested to hear how someone thinks it could go from 'one of the worst books they've ever read' to a TV show they apparently really enjoy.

GRRM is a good storyteller. He is not a good prose writer.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

Posts like these are interesting to me. I am currently avoiding the books due to not wanting to be spoiled and just being a bit busy with ~other things~ and figure I'll start reading them at a later date. But if you book readers want to give us little tid bits about "where we are" with some filler details from the books, I personally would love it.

I'd hope the rest of you clowns agree.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! It's much better to read a gigantic amount of "speculation" in the thread, especially when the ones doing the "speculating" have made it clear they hate book readers.
I can't help but feel a bit envious watching people much smarter than me guessing every plot twist without so much as looking at the book covers.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
GRRM's prose is hardly amazing, but it's serviceable, and the vast majority of the early dialogue is ripped straight from the pages. It just seems like a very weird distinction to me.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Criminal Minded posted:

GRRM is a good storyteller. He is not a good prose writer.

I think this is pretty apt. There's a distinct style and tone to the writing that's just not going to translate as filmed content. The plot can be 100% identical, but it'll still feel different because we're not privy to the same internal monologue.

I tried reading the first book and just couldn't engage with the written style. But I love the show. I don't think that's an indefensible position.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
I don't get why they didn't recast Conan Stevens as The Mountain. This new guy is a poo poo actor and way too young to play The Hound's older brother.

Edit: Just did some research- apparently he was about as much of a douchebag as he is big and was too difficult to work with so they just never renewed his contract. So there you go.

futureproof fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 20, 2014

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

the kawaiiest posted:

I don't think he's a bad writer though. He's no genius but I enjoy his writing.

Dude's written some pretty drat sweet stuff earlier in his career. He was a well-respected author within the SF and fantasy scene for a long time before he started on this monster series. Used to win awards and stuff back in the 1970s and 1980s. I guess his most important claim to fame was certain shorter works, in particular the stories Sandkings and The Way of Cross and Dragon.

But then again, on the other hand, loving Wildcards.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

snucks posted:

Looked some stuff up on my own and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTL_oF3GYE4
So it looks like dragons came from volcanos and were wiped out by volcanos, and are literally magic. Magic feels like a cop-out for a series that has a lot of historical and scientific fact underlying its worldbuilding, but it's cool that the magic itself has some unexplained internal logic (magic's potency wanes and waxes like some weird cosmic force, it seems bound to the elements of fire and ice, etc)
This video is a good, brief summary for how most of the dragons died as well as the knowledge of breeding/taming.

One thing it doesn't note: there were ~40 families that were dragonlords and vying for dominant influence over ruling Valyria. About 12 years prior to the Doom, the daughter of one of the more minor families, the Targaryens, had a dream premonition of the demise of Valyria by fire. He heeded his daughter's dream and left (to the furthest western reach of the empire, Dragonstone), being ridiculed by the other dragonlords as surrender for their pitiable status. The Targaryens were accompanied by some other Valyrian families that weren't dragonlords, but married with them and some successfully tamed dragons later (note: mastering might be a better phrase than taming since they, like some animals IRL, are never really tamed... they might decide to kill their master and wouldn't necessarily accept a new master if the old one died as something "tamed" would).

To finish the "where are the dragons" question: after Aegon conquered Westeros (300 years prior to present [PoP]), there was also a civil war between two branches of the Targaryen lineage (Dance of the Dragons, ~170 years PoP) which killed off many of the dragons that were around (~20 between the two sides/neutral prior to the war). The remaining ones died off shortly thereafter; those bred in captivity (notably housed in the Dragonpit in King's Landing) tended to be smaller/live shorter lives. Balerion the Black Dread was noted to have lived to ~200 years old. Aegon III (ruled following the civil war to ~140 years PoP) failed to hatch the dragon eggs he had on hand and the last small/sickly dragon died ~150 years PoP. Also Aegon III is noted to hate dragons because he personally watched one cook his mother and eat her (she was alive prior to said cooking).

Edit: removed rumors of who may have also played a part in dragons dying off since the show will get around to it if it turns out to be important/true.

Mr Beens posted:

Well not really. I thought the whole point of the TV threads were that the books do not exist. These threads are about the show, what information they give us in the show and nothing else.
I don't care if the books say a character is 16 or 60 - if the character is 20 in the show they are 20.
People mentioned the ages/differences in Jorah from books, I just posted for them reference rather than having a bunch of comments throwing out assumed ages. Also, the juxtaposition of Jorah from the books to the show is an amusing one (it's very different, while most non-Braavosi are fairly accurate). Doesn't look like the ages changed too much checking the show Wiki: Sansa is 15-16 on the show wiki (for season 4), Dany is ~18 (both ~two years older than the books).

Don't see the harm in mentioning relevant background/filler info since the show glazes over a lot of the history, which is shared, because it'd be boring/implausible storytelling-wise to include lengthy reminiscences about a character's past (especially when it'd involve casting a dozen or more actors to fulfill necessary roles) or a story they were told/read. Then again the show wiki (listed in the OP) could fill in some of that if people were curious (although it tends to be less detailed than the books one, and not just in terms of excluding spoilers).

bUm fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 20, 2014

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

KamikazePotato posted:

GRRM's prose is hardly amazing, but it's serviceable, and the vast majority of the early dialogue is ripped straight from the pages. It just seems like a very weird distinction to me.
I sincerely tried getting into the books, but it was just painful to read, so I'm sticking with the show. I don't normally read fantasy novels though, so maybe I just had unreasonable expectations. If the dialogue is ripped straight from the pages, though, it's probably done by talented people who know how to adapt the good parts and leave out the bad and poorly written.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

precision posted:

The problem is that it is predictable. "Here is a character that is awesome. He/she will suffer horribly." It's bad storytelling not because bad things happen to people we like, but because everything becomes telegraphed. Jaime becomes likable? Hand chopped off. Ned dies. Robb gets Red Wedding'd. It's something you have to use sparingly, and not do it to every loving character. I'm already fully expecting The Hound to die this season purely because he has become a very interesting character.

We will have to disagree that GRRM is a genius because the first two books are two of the worst books I have ever read and the fact that the show has made them into a good story is a miracle.

Jaime becomes likeable because his hand gets chopped off. It makes him re-evaluate himself as a person, since previously his entire life revolved around his fighting prowess which he no longer has. The deaths in the books aren't just killing people you like, either. They serve a purpose in the plot. Characters don't die just to die.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Mortabis posted:

Jaime becomes likeable because his hand gets chopped off. It makes him re-evaluate himself as a person, since previously his entire life revolved around his fighting prowess which he no longer has. The deaths in the books aren't just killing people you like, either. They serve a purpose in the plot. Characters don't die just to die.

Yeah, GRRM is handing out plot armor sparingly, but the idea that the story is just about the writer being a sadist and making villains win by default is just something the fans have perpetuated. Because they are really bitter about their favorite character dying, or because they have lovely reading comprehension, or just as a joke.

Joffrey dying right after the red wedding should have made the point that being a huge rear end in a top hat will also get you killed, because making enemies everywhere you go is just as stupid as being Ned levels of honorable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xealot posted:

I think this is pretty apt. There's a distinct style and tone to the writing that's just not going to translate as filmed content. The plot can be 100% identical, but it'll still feel different because we're not privy to the same internal monologue.

I tried reading the first book and just couldn't engage with the written style. But I love the show. I don't think that's an indefensible position.

I'm at the end of the first book and I think the show is a lot better than the book so far. So cheer up, people who are jealous of the BOOK-READERS.

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:

Aardark posted:

it's probably done by talented people who know how to adapt the good parts and leave out the bad and poorly written.

I wish they'd at least have the trust in their audience that he does. Even ignoring the Littlefinger scene, it's frustrating when a great conversation like with Tyrion and Oberyn ends with Oberyn saying, "I will begin with Ser Gregor Clegane, who killed my sister's children and then raped her with her blood still on his hands, before killing her, too."

Yeah you just told Tyrion that story like 4 episodes ago, we got it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Falsey posted:

I wish they'd at least have the trust in their audience that he does. Even ignoring the Littlefinger scene, it's frustrating when a great conversation like with Tyrion and Oberyn ends with Oberyn saying, "I will begin with Ser Gregor Clegane, who killed my sister's children and then raped her with her blood still on his hands, before killing her, too."

Yeah you just told Tyrion that story like 4 episodes ago, we got it.

"Who is this Locke fellow and why is he going with Jon? He looks like a shady fellow." - this thread

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

rypakal posted:

"Who is this Locke fellow and why is he going with Jon? He looks like a shady fellow." - this thread

Even the goldfish in this thread still realized he was shady :colbert:

And yeah I forgot who he was too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This thread is the reason it wasn't "Only Cat".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hedrigall posted:

This thread is the reason it wasn't "Only Cat".

I seriously can't believe the internet threw such a shitfit over a change so trivial

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Well, In It For The Tank had that joke up in the spoiler thread title for the better part of a year, it was kind of sad to see it ruined.

In the books it was a much more climactic moment, where Lysa spills the beans on all of Littlefinger's plans (they did that ahead of time in the show) in a drunken rage and then he calms her down, tells her he's only ever loved one woman--"Only cat" *shove*

So you get the double whammy of Littlefinger killing Lysa and learning about all the poo poo he's been up to.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Can someone give me an example of why the prose in the book is bad? I feel like a dude who writes Tyrion/Bronn dialogue can't be a bad writer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Can someone give me an example of why the prose in the book is bad? I feel like a dude who writes Tyrion/Bronn dialogue can't be a bad writer

<----

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

BioMe posted:

Even the goldfish in this thread still realized he was shady :colbert:

And yeah I forgot who he was too.

And that's why everything has to be said at least a half dozen times. They have to count on goldfish memories. And thematically it works because you need to be reminded that Oberyn isn't just a sex bot, he's really loving mad. And in their previous meeting Tyrion was a relatively happy fellow, and now he has just as much reason to hate his family as Oberyn does. Repetition of his goals has value here, particularly when you've just seen the Mountain hack up some cowering grown men. Because now you can hear those words and imagine him doing the same to an infant and a little girl.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Ballz posted:

:siren: TURN OFF AVATARS AND SIGNATURES WHEN YOU READ THIS THREAD... AND PROBABLY EVERY OTHER THREAD TOO :siren:

Previously on the Game of Thrones Episode Thread

:effort:

We all kind of took a vacation from effortposting last week, but now I am back to continue my ways of plagiarizing borrowing elements from Game of Thrones OPs of old and making them look like something new.

Thread History (h/t In It For the Tank)

Season 1: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Ned Head Redemption - Early Episode 7 Thread
Season 2: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Shadow Baby
Season 3: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Dracarys - The Red Wedding
Season 4: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - The Purple Wedding - White Walkerpalooza

Episode 4.07 of Game of Thrones airs on HBO on May 18, 9pm EDT.

:siren:NO SPOILERS, NO BOOK TALK, AND FOR THE LOVE OF THE RED GOD NO TALK ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF SPOILERS AND BOOKS:siren:
Any questions about the books can be sent by PM to
Toast Museum
Revenant Threshold
Ballz
Carlton Banks Teller
Max
The Kawaiiest
Hedrigall

We know our stuff.

Recap, rewritten/edited from the GoT wiki:

The Dreadfort

When we last saw Yara Greyjoy she had gathered 50 of the best fighters of the Iron Islands and taken her fastest ship on an expedition to rescue her brother, Theon Greyjoy from the clutches of Ramsay Snow at the Dreadfort. Now nearing her destination, she reads to her men the letter sent by Ramsay, which threatened to flay all Ironborn who do not leave the North.

While Ramsay has rather violent sex with Myranda inside the Dreadfort, Yara and her troops land and scale the walls of the castle. They quietly take out the guards as they search for Theon, whom they eventually learn is being held in the dog kennels. There, the Ironborn and Yara see Reek sitting in a cage. Yara opens the cage, but Reek refuses to go with her, believing it is another cruel trick played by Ramsay.

Several Bolton troops enter along with Ramsay, who is wearing nothing but plot armor. A fight ensues with several Bolton and Greyjoy soldiers killed. Reek, insisting his name is and always has been Reek, bites Yara and cowers in his cage. Ramsay releases his hounds and Yara is forced to retreat to her ship. When one of the ironmen asks of Theon, Yara answers by saying her brother is "dead."

Back at the Dreadfort, Ramsay allows Reek to take a bath as a reward for his loyalty. Reek fears the bath is another trick, but Ramsay assures him it is not. As Reek bathes, Ramsay asks the poor creature if he loves him and after a brief pause, Reek admits he does. Satisfied with the answer, Ramsay tells Reek of his plans to assault and recapture Moat Cailin, which is currently being occupied by the Ironborn and preventing Roose Bolton's army from returning to the North.

Ramsay tells Reek he needs his help in recapturing the fort by dressing up and pretending to be someone he isn't: Theon Greyjoy.

Braavos

Stannis Baratheon and Ser Davos Seaworth visit the Iron Bank of Braavos in hopes of securing funds to aid Stannis' war effort. At first the representatives from the bank reject their request. One of the bankers, Tycho Nestoris, points out Dragonstone's weak position and is ready to dismiss them when Davos speaks up, relating how he came into Stannis' service, how Stannis is a just man who keeps his word, and how he is the best chance for the Iron Bank to get its money back after the chaos that would follow the eventual death of an elderly Tywin Lannister. This seems to convince Tycho and his colleagues, as they agree to fund Stannis.

A short time later at a bath house in Braavos, the pirate Sallador Saan is enjoying a joke with some lovely young ladies when they are interrupted by Davos, who informs Sallador that they will be sailing with Stannis at sunrise. Sallador begins to object, but Davos throws him a package of gold coins from the Iron Bank, noting that more money waits at his home.

Meereen

On one sunny day outside of Meereen, a goat herder and his young son are peacefully tending their livestock on a hill. To pass the time, the son begins throwing some rocks off the hill. Crack a rock goes as it tumbles down the cliff. Crack goes another. Crack. Crack. Thud.

Uh oh.

Hello there, Drogon. Dany's baby is not amused with the boy's rock tossing but his attention is immediately drawn to the flock of goats. The dragon sets fire to the field behind the boy and kills the flock, taking one of the goats with him.

In Meereen, Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons now rules from her very own and very impressive throne room in the Great Pyramid. Dany has proven she can conquer, now she must prove she can rule, and holds a day to meet supplicants and hear their requests.

The first supplicant is the the goat herder, who lays the charred remains of his flock before the Dany, hoping to not anger the queen, as he believe she sicced the dragon on him as some sort of punishment. Daenerys apologizes about Drogon's actions and promises to pay back three times the dead livestock's worth. :homebrew:

After the goatherd departs, Hizdahr zo Loraq presents his petition: the right to bury his father's remains in the Temple of the Graces, as he was one of the Meereenese Great Masters crucified on Daenerys's orders. She counters that he was one of the masters that crucified the 163 children. Loraq reveals that his father actually spoke out against the crucifixion of the slave children (he was overruled), but was killed due to Daenerys's "justice" anyway. Somewhat mollified, Daenerys allows him to bury his father.

After Loraq leaves, Daenerys asks how many more supplicants are waiting. Missandei answers that there are over 200 more. As the gravity of what it means to rule begins to settle in, Daenerys orders the next supplicant to come forward.

King's Landing

At a meeting of the Small Council, Tywin tells the councilors that his son Tyrion's trial will begin that afternoon. We have some new faces on the Small Council: an eager-to-please Lord Mace Tyrell of Highgarden and a rather sleepy Prince Oberyn Martell of Dorne. In other orders of business, Lord Varys informs Tywin that The Hound has been spotted in the Riverlands, and Tywin orders a bounty on his head.

Varys also speaks of Daenerys' conquest of Meereen, and that she is being advised by Ser Barristan Selmy, formerly of the Kingsguard and Ser Jorah Mormont, formerly of the underground Westeros slave trade. While Selmy's new-found allegiance is a reminder of the late King Joffrey's boneheaded move to "retire" the aging knight, Jorah's case is more intriguing to Tywin. Mormont was originally a spy for King Robert, and was ordered to have Daenerys assassinated way back in season 1. In return, the exiled knight would be granted a pardon and allowed to return to Westeros. But something happened after that order was given. Daenerys still lives, now has three dragons and an army of Unsullied, all the while Jorah remains at her side. How long will it before she sets her eyes on the Iron Throne, they wonder.

After Varys confirms his "little birds" can make their way into Meereen, Tywin orders Mace Tyrell, the newly-appointed Master of Ships, to take command by fetching the Hand of the King a quill and some paper.

In the dungeon, Jaime Lannister has Tyrion shackled and brought into the throne room to begin his trial. King Tommen recuses himself from the trial, appointing his grandfather Tywin, Oberyn, and Mace as judges.

Several witnesses are called for the prosecution, including Ser Meryn Trant, Grand Maester Pycelle, Queen Regent Cersei, and Varys, all of whom give testimony backing the accusations against Tyrion. Tyrion seems none-too-surprised by the witnesses, although Varys' betrayal is disappointing. Varys once told Tyrion he recognized Tyrion's actions had saved King's Landing at the Battle of Blackwater. Tyrion meekly asks had Varys indeed forgotton those words?

"Sadly, my lord," Varys replies, "I never forget a thing."

At recess, Jaime asks Tywin to spare Tyrion, offering to break his oath to the Kingsguard and return to Casterly Rock, to be the Lannister heir. Tywin quickly accepts, telling Jaime that Tyrion will be allowed to join the Night's Watch after being found guilty of Joffrey's murder, provided he pleads for mercy. Jaime is to then immediately leave for Casterly Rock.

Before the recess ends, Jaime speaks with Tyrion and urges him to beg for mercy and allow himself to take the Black. Tyrion is deeply distrustful of the offer, remarking that Ned Stark was promised the same thing and yet still lost his head, but Jaime pleads with his brother to trust him, insisting that their father will keep his word.

As Tyrion mulls the offer, the trial resumes and Tywin orders the next witness to testify: Shae.

Being disappointed in Varys is one thing, but now Tyrion is visibly upset to see his lover had not left King's Landing at all, but now stands before the judges, ready to betray him as well.

Shae testifies that Tyrion and Sansa planned Joffrey's murder together, claiming that Sansa wanted vengeance for the murder of her father, mother, and brother. She tells the judges of Tyrion's sexual desires, embarrassing him in front of the crowd. She admits that she was Tyrion's whore...

and that Tyrion made her call him "My Lion." Shae adds that upon marrying Sansa he became enamored with her, but she wouldn't let him into her bed... which is when Tyrion promised to kill Joffrey for her.

Before she can continue, Tyrion, enraged beyond sense, angrily demands that he be allowed to confess his crimes. :suspense:

TYRION: I saved you. I saved this city. And all your worthless lives. I should've let Stannis kill you all.

TYWIN: Tyrion! Do you wish to confess?

TYRION: Yes, father. I'm guilty. Guilty. Is that what you want to hear?

TYWIN: You admit you poisoned the king?

TYRION: No. Of that I'm innocent. I'm guilty of a far more monstrous crime. I'm guilty of being a dwarf.

TYWIN: You're not on trial for being a dwarf.

TYRION: Oh? Yes I am. I've been on trial for that my entire life.

TYWIN: Have you nothing to say in your defense?

TYRION: Nothing but this: I did not do it. I did not kill Joffrey but I wish that I had! Watching your vicious bastard die gave me more relief than a thousand lying whores! I wish I was the monster you think I am. I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you. I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it.

TYWIN: Ser Meryn! Ser Meryn! Escort the prisoner back to his cell!

TYRION: I will not give my life for Joffrey's murder and I know I'll get no justice here. So I will let the gods decide my fate. I demand a trial by combat!

Glossary

• Andals – The primary people of Westeros
  • The Blackwater – A large river flowing from the Westerlands until it meets the sea at King's Landing
  • The Brotherhood Without Banners – A troupe of bandits harrying Lannister forces in the Riverlands
  • Children of the Forest – An extinct supernatural race that previously inhabited the North.
  • The Citadel – The headquarters and school for the Maesters.
  • City Watch – The organisation responsible for keeping the peace in King's Landing
  • Crannogmen – The isolationist people that live in the swamps of the Neck.
  • Dorne – The lands governed by House Martell, traditionally isolationist from the rest of the Seven Kingdoms
  • The Dothraki – A tribe of warriors renowned for their skill at horse-riding
  • The Drowned God – The primary God worshipped by the Ironmen
  • Essos – The eastern continent across the Narrow Sea
  • The Faceless Men – A league of assassins from Braavos
  • The First Men – The humans that settled the North.
  • Ironmen – The inhabitants of the Iron Islands, famed for their ships and pillaging tendencies
  • The Kingsguard – An order of seven knights who dedicate their lives in service of protecting the King
  • The Maesters – An organisation of learned men, identified by the chains around their neck
  • The Night's Watch – The organisation responsible for guarding the Wall
  • The Old Gods – The nameless Gods worshipped by the northmen
  • R'hollor – The Lord of Light, a deity primarily worshipped in the Free Cities of Essos
  • The Red Priests – The collection of monks that worship R'hllor
  • Sept – A temple of the Seven
  • The Seven – The most popular faith in Westeros, the seven Gods are: the Father, the Mother, the Smith, the Maiden, the Warrior, the Crone and the Stranger
  • Slaver's Bay – A trio of cities in Essos known for being the prime players in the slave trade
  • Small Council – The body of advisors to the King that aids him in running the realm
  • The Unsullied – A legion of slave soldiers that have been castrated and trained to ensure absolute obedience
  • Valar Morghulis – Traditional greeting in High Valyrian, literally means "All Men Must Die"
  • Valyria – The original homeland of the Targaryen dynasty
  • Weirwood – A white tree with blood red trees, a place of worship to the Old Gods
  • The White Book - aka The Book of Brothers. A ponderous tome filled with the 300-year history of every member of the Kingsguard
  • Wights – Raised corpses controlled by the White Walkers, impervious to all harm save fire
  • Wildfire – A dangerous liquid that catches alight when exposed to air
  • The White Walkers – Mysterious creatures who live north of the Wall, highly dangerous
  • Wildlings – The unorganised savages who live north of the Wall

Maps of Westeros and Essos (All new pics, click to embiggen)

(that last map by theMountainGoat and Tear, modified by EccoRaven)

Useful Resources

HBO viewer's guide
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/

TVIV Spoiler Thread for Winter Children who have read the books
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570018

A Song of Fire and Ice book thread (aka The Bad Thread but let's not kid ourselves, we all know what the real Bad Thread was)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Westeros Forums (wiki contains spoilers!!!)
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/

:siren: AVOID COMMENTS :siren:

Show only wiki (still fills in lots of blanks using the books)
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSuXBVv4ppY

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b93mfEI2Kb0

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es3VVgFq9nQ

The Rains of Castamere (The National) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVcbIc5yWI
The Rains of Castamere (Sigur Rós) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3QW8PVyyNM

The Bear and the Maiden Fair (The Hold Steady) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3b7fZIT0nk
The Bear and the Maiden Fair (:kimchi: version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARfQtFKQtZo

A fond look back at Tyrion's past crimes

That's very interesting!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

GURM posted:

And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed,

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

You'd be well advised to steer clear of Richard K. Morgan.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I think GRRM is a very good genre fiction writer, but if you come to the books from reading pulp paperbacks or John Grishom or even literary fiction it's gonna come off as stilted and weird. If you started reading ASoIAF as a twee little teenaged fantasy/scifi nerd then you'll probably think he's a pretty good author -- albeit with some evident faults. If you insist on comparing him to like, Nabokov or Faulkner or something, yeah, sorry, no, he isn't remotely that good. I like reading the books because I like getting some medieval soap operas into my head every now and then; I read other poo poo for other reasons. Objectively speaking, I do think the books are well-written, but they definitely suffer from trope-ish tone in places, and (in the latter books especially) the editing could've been a lot tighter.

For people who say he's lovely, I wonder what their expectations were. For people who think he's the best ever, I wonder what else they've read. For goons, I assume the worst on both fronts simultaneously.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I knew it was coming (seriously, why else was he there), but "What about what I want" onwards was still a :tviv: moment for me.

If this guy doesn't triumph over the Hulk Smash Clegane then we're gonna lose one of the show's most interesting characters. :mad:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

For people who say he's lovely, I wonder what their expectations were. For people who think he's the best ever, I wonder what else they've read. For goons, I assume the worst on both fronts simultaneously.

I don't think GRRM is all that terrible, but he does have a couple of bad habits that make getting through the books a chore. Character catchphrases is a big one, as are weird word choices (Starks don't walk, they "pad" everywhere because they're wolves--get it?) and so are 30 page chapters where nothing happens. I mean, there are quite a few Jaime chapters where its just him arguing with Lannister cousins over succession rights that will never, ever pay off. Plot should come first, world-building a distant second.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 20, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Having read only the first book:

GRRM's sentence structure tends to need a little work, he occasionally over-uses ellipses (i.e. uses them ever), and all of the characters are written as one-dimensional, as opposed to the nuanced performances we get out of the show (with the help of a very occasional new or slightly different scene).

In the first book, the Lannisters are cartoonishly arrogant villains (although nothing is written from their POV and I am sure that will change). Many characters come off as being dumber than a bag of rocks. Ned looks like a total moron and is actually told that he is a moron by pretty much everyone on the small council. Rather than being forced into each of his decisions by circumstance or even by his idea of honor, he comes off as objectively dumb, always having an Option Smart and an Option Dumb and doing the latter. Catelyn is no better; in the show she comes off like the voice of reason, in the book she is impulsive and anxious.

It's easy to criticize the writing from my armchair when writing novels is a lot of work. But I generally think the show elevates the material, combining strong writing and acting with the strong world and overall plot arcs.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 20, 2014

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Whoa where's the poll??

e: misread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I think GRRM is a very good genre fiction writer, but if you come to the books from reading pulp paperbacks or John Grishom or even literary fiction it's gonna come off as stilted and weird. If you started reading ASoIAF as a twee little teenaged fantasy/scifi nerd then you'll probably think he's a pretty good author -- albeit with some evident faults. If you insist on comparing him to like, Nabokov or Faulkner or something, yeah, sorry, no, he isn't remotely that good. I like reading the books because I like getting some medieval soap operas into my head every now and then; I read other poo poo for other reasons. Objectively speaking, I do think the books are well-written, but they definitely suffer from trope-ish tone in places, and (in the latter books especially) the editing could've been a lot tighter.

Yeah, he's usually not egregriously bad, but he does have a tendency to be rather longwinded and occasionally use a lot of words to convey very little of importance. It didn't bother me much the first time around, but since then I've read some writers who have a much more evocative and just plain more enjoyable prose, and it makes rereading ASoIaF a bit of a drag. He's still pretty good at worldbuilding and large-scale narratives.

• Locked thread