Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Wow, 6'6.25" w/o shoes for McDermott. That's small even for a small ball PF. I think that's probably below average for a SF anymore.

He'll be at least 6'7 in shoes, which basically makes him on the smaller side of average. He's big enough to play the 3, the question is he athletic enough. The combine showed that he's actually pretty athletic, and he should be a lights out shooter, so I'm cautiously optimistic about his chances as long as he lands in a good situation. Drafting him in the top 10 would be insane though. Denver and Phoenix would be the best situations for him (if he goes in the lottery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

There's a difference between combine athleticism and having the ability to actually apply it towards defense. In college he showed pretty much no aptitude for it (at least in a way that would make you think he'll be successful in the NBA on that end).

Also the draft lottery is tonight so if you want to watch Dan Gilbert's fuckface kid back into another #1 overall pick and everyone act like it's a loving miracle of statistics from G_d you can do that before tonight's playoff game on ESPN.

WhyteRyce posted:

Noah's measurements are so good that I have to resign myself to the fact that someone will take him before #7 and I'll have to settle for Aaron Gordon. That's probably not the worse thing in the world since he sounds like an amazing defender

He should be. I don't know if he will be, but all signs point to him being at least above average on that end. Also he'll swat the gently caress out of some balls

NickRoweFillea posted:

What are the odds that Doug falls to the Grizz or must I now convince myself that Cleanthony Early or KJ McDaniels is gonna be worth it

His height measurements probably helped the cause a bit but he's not dropping out of the lottery, sorry homie

If it makes you feel better no amount of convincing will ever convince you that Cleanthony Early or KJ McDaniels is worth it (because they are not) (don't draft a wheatbee or a Cuse dude) (just sell yourself on PJ Hairston)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Declan MacManus posted:

(just sell yourself on PJ Hairston)

i must watch film

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

i must watch film

k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBYGqSnmFnw

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MourningView posted:

He can play defense at either spot, but if you draft him with the idea that he's going to play on the wing in the NBA you are basically drafting Michael Kidd-Gilcrist.

Remind me again why Kidd-Gilchrist was taken second overall? It seemed like a horrible decision at the time.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kirios posted:

Remind me again why Kidd-Gilchrist was taken second overall? It seemed like a horrible decision at the time.

Crazy athletic lockdown defender with upside who showed flashes of versatility on offense

Also he's only 20 and has been stuck under the poo poo roulette that has been the Bobcats coaching staff before this year

E: With the benefit of hindsight you'd obviously take Beal, Drummond, or Lillard, but you don't have that, and it wasn't a bad pick at the time

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He'll be at least 6'7 in shoes, which basically makes him on the smaller side of average. He's big enough to play the 3, the question is he athletic enough. The combine showed that he's actually pretty athletic, and he should be a lights out shooter, so I'm cautiously optimistic about his chances as long as he lands in a good situation. Drafting him in the top 10 would be insane though. Denver and Phoenix would be the best situations for him (if he goes in the lottery).
He's Wally Szczerbiak with a decent post move or two. If he actually plays to his strengths instead of insisting on going to his weaknesses and acting like he was still the #1 option like Szczerbiak always did, he should be able to have a lengthy, and pretty good, career.

Seriously:

Player A:
code:
YR	 MIN	 FG%	 3P%	 FT%	 PTS	REB	AST	
JUN.	38.2	.529	.492	.806	24.2	7.6	2.5
SEN.	33.8	.522	.356	.831	24.2	8.5	2.6
Player B:
code:
YR	 MIN	 FG%	 3P%	 FT%	 PTS	REB	AST	
JUN.	31.6	.548	.490	.875	23.2	7.0	1.6
SEN.	33.7	.526	.449	.864	26.7	7.7	1.6
One is Szczerbiak. The other is McDermott. Both were from mid-majors and got a lot of hype as their college careers progressed. Both were power forwards in college (I think Szczerbiak even played some center) who ended up having to transition to a perimeter game in the pros.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 20, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wouldn't agree on the hindsight part. I personally thought Bradley Beal was the second best player in the draft by a noticeable margin. Drummond would have been up there as well if it weren't for personality concerns leading into the NBA.

Kidd-Gilchrist always seemed like someone who was limited in the NBA and was destined to be Shane Battier'd.

Edit: I like the Wally comparison to McDermott. If you draft McDermott and he turns into a player similar to Wally...then you've hit a home run at 10-15.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kirios posted:

Drummond would have been up there as well if it weren't for personality concerns leading into the NBA.
It wasn't just personality concerns with Drummond. He didn't really do all that much at UConn. DeAndre Jordan was a high school All-American who didn't do much in his one year of college and he slipped to the second round in spite of being regarded for having crazy athleticism. I was shocked Drummond went #7.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

Kirios posted:

I think part of it was that he played on a college team that was perfectly made to let him play to his strengths while hiding him from showing his deficiencies too much. So you had a guy who was the leader of a team that pretty much steamrolled everyone and all we saw was Kidd-Gilchrist playing defense, rebounding, and being filthy in transition.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kirios posted:

I wouldn't agree on the hindsight part. I personally thought Bradley Beal was the second best player in the draft by a noticeable margin. Drummond would have been up there as well if it weren't for personality concerns leading into the NBA.

MKG was regarded as being pretty much neck and neck with Beal as a prospect and even if it might have registered as an immediate mistake in your eyes it was considered an acceptable pick

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wouldn't go that far...he was certainly more productive than Jordan in college and tested even better than he did leading up to the draft. Were you really shocked to see him go at 7? That seemed to be the expected place for him.

Declan MacManus posted:

MKG was regarded as being pretty much neck and neck with Beal as a prospect and even if it might have registered as an immediate mistake in your eyes it was considered an acceptable pick

Fair enough. I personally thought it was a bad decision at the time and I'll probably be right on that one. There's also a lot of ones I completely miss (Full disclosure: I...thought Adam Morrison would be pretty good in the NBA).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kidd-Liggit posted:

I think part of it was that he played on a college team that was perfectly made to let him play to his strengths while hiding him from showing his deficiencies too much. So you had a guy who was the leader of a team that pretty much steamrolled everyone and all we saw was Kidd-Gilchrist playing defense, rebounding, and being filthy in transition.

The red flags for MKG were his lack of a jumper and his pretty middling efficiency numbers when looking at how often he was shooting at the rim and/or in transition. He did get to the line like a ton, though, it's strange that hasn't carried over. He doesn't attack the basket as much in the pros. Then again, the Bobcats spacing might not be there either.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kirios posted:

There's also a lot of ones I completely miss (Full disclosure: I...thought Adam Morrison would be pretty good in the NBA).
Well I don't think any of us thought he would actually turn out that bad.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

To be fair to Our AMMO Who Art in Russia Hallowed be His Stache he had a pretty major knee injury that robbed him of all of his athleticism (I mean, whatever athleticism he had) and made him about as useful as a folding chair on defense

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

The red flags for MKG were his lack of a jumper and his pretty middling efficiency numbers when looking at how often he was shooting at the rim and/or in transition. He did get to the line like a ton, though, it's strange that hasn't carried over. He doesn't attack the basket as much in the pros. Then again, the Bobcats spacing might not be there either.

MKG was the best wing defender coming out that year, but his offense seemed so far away from where it needed to be and he didn't have the elite athleticism to carry him until it caught up. I felt like he was a high floor low ceiling player...I'm afraid that we've seen the best MKG is going to do in the NBA already.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Drummond was drafted at #9. I know this because I was looking forward to the Hornets drafting him at 10, but he got selected just before.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kirios posted:

I'm afraid that we've seen the best MKG is going to do in the NBA already.
He's 20 years old.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well of course, he could become better than he is now, but that jump shot needs to get fixed pretty quickly if he's going to be a consistent 12-15 PPG player. I think we can safely right off anything beyond that.

Kibner posted:

Drummond was drafted at #9. I know this because I was looking forward to the Hornets drafting him at 10, but he got selected just before.

Yeah, you're right, #7 sounded about right so I assumed that was the spot he was taken. Was anyone really surprised he was taken at #9 though? I was surprised he fell that far...difficult to pass up on a guy that athletically gifted.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I thought MKG was also a top-tier athletic guy. Or am I just remembering wrong? I honestly haven't watched much of him in the pros.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MKG is actually very, very athletic. Tested off the charts at the combine, always played above the rim, and just outjumped/hustled/etc other dudes for offensive rebounds. He had the top wing scores for pretty much everything but vert (and came in second on those). On a different team, he'd look like a much different player offensively.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If I recall correctly, after Anthony Davis (Who we can all agree was the best player in that draft and would be an immediate stud in the NBA), MKG was the safest pick in the draft. And after downing him I will say he's not a bust and won't be a bust...he's still a great wing defender and that's a tremendous asset to have in today's NBA. I just don't have a lot of confidence he will improve his offense to where it needs to be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Bradley Beal was a shooter who shot pretty poorly in his one season of college. I think I wound up having him ranked second as well because his reputation and form gave reason to believe he'd bounce back, but there were reasons to be skeptical. And Drummond was a straight up bad college player. There would have been one of those Ted Ginn-esque gifs if Andre Drummond had gone 2nd in the draft, even if it would have been a better pick in hindsight. MKG was the best one on one defender in the country by miles, really young, a great athlete, possessed great size and length, was not put in a situation where he had to do a lot of stuff he wasn't good at, and had a ton of intangible poo poo that made people think he could get better. He finishes around the rim really well and even has a nifty little post game he can use to punish smaller defenders and get to the line. If he ever developed any sort of jumper he could be a really valuable player.

Crazy Ted posted:

Well I don't think any of us thought he would actually turn out that bad.

Me, but it's hard to remember how much of that was spite.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I think it's unfair to call anyone a bust until they're the age of the seniors coming out of college. MKG still has 2 years of development until he's 22.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Also the draft lottery is tonight so if you want to watch Dan Gilbert's fuckface kid back into another #1 overall pick and everyone act like it's a loving miracle of statistics from G_d you can do that before tonight's playoff game on ESPN.

goddammit is that stupid kid still not dead?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

He's hesitant about attacking because his handle is still not great and he doesn't have many polished moves near the basket he can go to. He ends up getting whistled for charges a lot as a result, and that makes him second-guess himself even more, especially since he's still struggling with foul trouble.

Even if he never fixes that busted jumper, he'll get better near the basket, at drawing fouls and on the break. I feel like he'll eventually be a 12-15-point player regardless, and he brings enough elsewhere that he's going to have value.

As far as how the pick was perceived at the time, pretty much everyone liked the pick.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

NF isn't really the kind of disease that kills quickly, it causes an unbelievable shitload of pain, though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

it causes an unbelievable shitload of pain, though.
What does...the NF or living in Cleveland?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If we really want to discuss hindsight picks in a hilarious fashion why was Anthony Bennett the #1 pick? Was anyone here actually projecting him as the #1 player in the 2013 draft?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

What does...the NF or living in Cleveland?

I'd rather sit through 100 Cleveland Browns seasons than go a day with the form of NF where tumors randomly grow on whatever nerves they feel like.

Kirios posted:

If we really want to discuss hindsight picks in a hilarious fashion why was Anthony Bennett the #1 pick? Was anyone here actually projecting him as the #1 player in the 2013 draft?

I think Bennett was in one of those 'well, he could go #1 if somebody falls in like with him because everybody in this draft kinda sucks', but nothing serious.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MKG is fast and strong and you can't keep dudes like that down for long. There's no reason he can't be a Gerald Wallace type player in the next two years.

Kirios posted:

That was just classic Cleveland sports

E: Although according to dokmo several other FOs had him rated just as highly but I'm pretty sure he's loving with us

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

MKG is fast and strong and you can't keep dudes like that down for long. There's no reason he can't be a Gerald Wallace type player in the next two years.

Just putting him next to a shooting guard that can hit a three would help a lot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

I still hate that kid because of the way his dad said Nicky Boy! over and over again after the Cavs got the #1, as if that kid had any loving thing to do with random ping pong balls bouncing around.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I cannot tell you how badly I wanted the Raptors to trade up for Kidd-Gilchrist during that draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Great White Hope posted:

NF isn't really the kind of disease that kills quickly, it causes an unbelievable shitload of pain, though.

That's comforting at least, but the first time he won the lottery I was promised that he'd be dead soon and yet he's back in a stupid outfit and a stupid bow tie every stupid year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh I didn't know Nick Gilbert had neurofibromatosis. That's lovely.

Poor kid.

gently caress Dan Gilbert and that stupid bowtie though

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

This past draft is the only time I'd been legitimately shocked at the #1 pick and it might not happen ever again. Even with the Kwame Brown draft, he was surging up the boards as the draft approached. Bargnani surged, too, although that was still a bit of a surprise.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it was pretty well known that Kwame and Bargnani were the guys before those drafts happened. At least that's how I remember it, especially with Bargs (I'm pretty sure on Kwame too, but I might have just known that it was going to be one of the high schoolers without knowing which one). Bennett was legitimately out of nowhere and shocking. Bill Simmons going "WOAH" as it happened was pretty much my reaction too.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On reddit, someone asked if he could turn it around and you had all these people coming out insisting that he'll be an all-star and that it was only because of a terrible situation that he put up historically bad numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

On reddit, someone asked if he could turn it around and you had all these people coming out insisting that he'll be an all-star and that it was only because of a terrible situation that he put up historically bad numbers.

Hey now, Austin Rivers improved to mediocre bench player this year! Bennett totally has a chance.

• Locked thread