Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've literally never played an Obsidian game I didn't like. I am not worried. :effort:

I just meant maybe it won't come out at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I just meant maybe it won't come out at all!

Well I have never played any Obsidian game that didn't come out. :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I have. It was pretty fun. An underrated gem in my opinion.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Sharmat posted:

I have. It was pretty fun. An underrated gem in my opinion.
You played the Alien RPG? Lucky bastard. :haw:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just got done with an eight hour session of gently caress You Suck My Dick, I gotta say it's one of the best games I've never played.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did you try the Suck Harder mod? It brings things much closer with Sawyer's original vision.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Lotish posted:

Did you try the Suck Harder mod? It brings things much closer with Sawyer's original vision.

When I tried the beta of that, it changed the system from modified 4E to modified FATAL. No thanks!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pretty sure that's a different mod. It's not jsawyer.snm.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

xthetenth posted:

Pretty sure that's a different mod. It's not jsawyer.snm.

Looks like he's been hanging out at loverslab...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has anything been said on the policy of respawning enemies? I'm up to Chapter 4 in BGEE at the moment and it's a massive pain in the arse. You can't rest at all in the Gnoll Fortess because your recovery will be interrupted by blood-thirsty smurfs. BG2 was far better than the first game since there's a lot less trash combat and you could clear out areas completely, giving more satisfaction than any level-ups.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has anything been said on the policy of respawning enemies? I'm up to Chapter 4 in BGEE at the moment and it's a massive pain in the arse. You can't rest at all in the Gnoll Fortess because your recovery will be interrupted by blood-thirsty smurfs. BG2 was far better than the first game since there's a lot less trash combat and you could clear out areas completely, giving more satisfaction than any level-ups.

Enemies don't respawn to attack you during rest. Don't know about anything else related to respawning.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

I'm just trying to figure out what peak debt meant when he said they cut off Star Citizen after they went to 300%. Because it makes no loving sense, given that they had a full length run and ended at over 400%. Maybe he just picked the wrong words, so I was just trying to get clarification and being nonconfrontationally polite about it.

Star Citizen was originally asking for $500k. A nice little indie budget that will keep a couple people occupied for a year. When they hit $2m (300% more than what they originally asked for) Kickstarter stopped accepting any additional money because it frankly makes no sense overfunding a project by that much. The Star Citizen developers then made their own website and collected the next $41m through Paypal. It was only once they bypassed Kickstarter that things went completely off the rocker (a virtual towel for only $1m!), the Kickstarter people were quite reasonable about how much money they'd let people invest.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The opposite, where you take an 8 hour breather anywhere in the middle of an enemy keep is a little silly too though. Always pisses me off when my pen&paper players try something like that :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

peak debt posted:

Star Citizen was originally asking for $500k. A nice little indie budget that will keep a couple people occupied for a year. When they hit $2m (300% more than what they originally asked for) Kickstarter stopped accepting any additional money because it frankly makes no sense overfunding a project by that much.

I don't understand, they were collecting money up until the last day, according to kicktraq. There was no period of stopping, either.

Are you sure they didn't either already have a funding site established prior to kickstarter or build the payment stuff on their website because other people couldn't use normal kickstarter payment methods?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

peak debt posted:

Star Citizen was originally asking for $500k. A nice little indie budget that will keep a couple people occupied for a year. When they hit $2m (300% more than what they originally asked for) Kickstarter stopped accepting any additional money because it frankly makes no sense overfunding a project by that much. The Star Citizen developers then made their own website and collected the next $41m through Paypal. It was only once they bypassed Kickstarter that things went completely off the rocker (a virtual towel for only $1m!), the Kickstarter people were quite reasonable about how much money they'd let people invest.
Their website's crowdfunding predated the kickstarter.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

peak debt posted:

Star citizen wanted $2m at the beginning. The kickstarter goal was only part of their whole goal, they needed to develop star citizen. I don't think kickstarter ever stoped a campaign because of overfunding. Double fine only asked for $400k and have gotten 3 334 203, 833% of their goal.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wonder how many times conflicts become a race between two factions to get the Bleak Walkers on their side first, even if they aren't interested in actually going to real legit war with the other faction and only want the BWs at a deterrent from further aggression or as a petty threat. ("Oh yeah? Well we've got the Bleak Walkers and we're not afraid to use 'em! How do you like that!?") Do the Bleak Walkers tolerate this kind of behavior, or do they eventually turn on those who abuse their services?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Moreover, I wonder if the Bleak Walkers are at all discriminatory in who they offer their services to? If they are ideologically dedicated to peace by any means necessary, are they wary of siding with the warmonger for fear of fostering further expansionism and accompanying warfare?

Where, if anywhere, do they draw the line?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I doubt the Bleak Walkers are invincible, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I can see a pretty interesting movie or short story being made of the Bleak Walkers being called into a tense standoff as two forces wish to take over a city important to both. Their presence is hotly debated until finally someone makes the mistake of setting them loose. They square their shoulders and go to work, but the more compassionate of the generals object as people and property on both sides of the conflict will be lost, and knowing they cannot be recalled, turn their own forces on them, and the whole thing turns into a meat grinder of epic proportions as the Bleak Walkers ultimately stand by their ideals and reconcile the two forces by becoming the force that unites them. You could throw a romance in there where a local girl connects with one of the youngest members of the order, first swooning over him for his passion and prowess, and then trying to understand him and why he choose what he does, and then he and the rest of the Walkers get the order to exterminate everything and it all goes to poo poo as their star crossed romance ends in tragedy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lotish posted:

I can see a pretty interesting movie or short story being made of the Bleak Walkers being called into a tense standoff as two forces wish to take over a city important to both. Their presence is hotly debated until finally someone makes the mistake of setting them loose. They square their shoulders and go to work, but the more compassionate of the generals object as people and property on both sides of the conflict will be lost, and knowing they cannot be recalled, turn their own forces on them, and the whole thing turns into a meat grinder of epic proportions as the Bleak Walkers ultimately stand by their ideals and reconcile the two forces by becoming the force that unites them. You could throw a romance in there where a local girl connects with one of the youngest members of the order, first swooning over him for his passion and prowess, and then trying to understand him and why he choose what he does, and then he and the rest of the Walkers get the order to exterminate everything and it all goes to poo poo as their star crossed romance ends in tragedy.

Yeah but it'd end with either the two sides that made up being annihilated anyway, or the Bleak Walkers being defeated which kinda defeats the mystery around them. You can't even have a "and the Bleak Walkers' hearts grew three sizes that day, and they quietly withdrew in the face of this heartwarming friendship" since their entire MO is that they don't give a poo poo about that kinda thing once the door's open.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This was in response to the comment "They're not invincible." And they're not. They're a powerful force, but they can be defeated. And they'll stand their ground to the last man. I disagree that defeating them in battle would defeat their mystery; it emphasizes that they are mortal but their principles transcend the fear of death and know no surrender. Hell, it might even make them more intriguing to some people simply because they never backed down, leading to renewed numbers.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

This was in response to the comment "They're not invincible." And they're not. They're a powerful force, but they can be defeated. And they'll stand their ground to the last man. I disagree that defeating them in battle would defeat their mystery; it emphasizes that they are mortal but their principles transcend the fear of death and know no surrender. Hell, it might even make them more intriguing to some people simply because they never backed down, leading to renewed numbers.

I feel like every "victory" against the Bleak Walkers would end up being pyrrhic in nature anyway. As cliche as localized force that is recognized as a natural disaster is, I feel like it's a concept that hasn't been explored to its fullest. Or rather it's ripe for exploring.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FauxGateau posted:

I feel like every "victory" against the Bleak Walkers would end up being pyrrhic in nature anyway. As cliche as localized force that is recognized as a natural disaster is, I feel like it's a concept that hasn't been explored to its fullest. Or rather it's ripe for exploring.

Yeah I feel like in the end a defeated Bleak Walkers are just going to call to mind a different proverb.

"It is well that war is so terrible, lest we should grow too fond of it" :v:

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Are the Bleak Walkers 100% paladins? Do they have auxiliaries and non-paladin rank-and-file? Considering paladins are said to have special souls and the implication that they're overall somewhat uncommon, that there would be a significant number of like-minded paladins to outfit what seems like a large mercenary army seens unlikely. The other paladin orders seem somewhat more decentralized.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lotish posted:

How does that work though? The way I understood it, the Bleak Walkers can't have ever been defeated since they will fight to the last man until they've won or been annihilated. You can't really say that it was only a section of the Bleak Walkers either, since if a company of them is defeated then that means there are still people alive on the other side of the conflict, so steps must be taken to fix that oversight. So if they ever lost, that would be the end of the Bleak Walkers since them losing means they all died. Since there are still Bleak Walkers at the time of the game, they must never have lost.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

How does that work though? The way I understood it, the Bleak Walkers can't have ever been defeated since they will fight to the last man until they've won or been annihilated. You can't really say that it was only a section of the Bleak Walkers either, since if a company of them is defeated then that means there are still people alive on the other side of the conflict, so steps must be taken to fix that oversight. So if they ever lost, that would be the end of the Bleak Walkers since them losing means they all died. Since there are still Bleak Walkers at the time of the game, they must never have lost.

Depends on how they are hired. If you can only hire the entire Bleak Walkers order all at once, then it means they've never lost. More likely is that you hire a company (or some other sized chunk) of them and if they get killed you'll have to pay for some more.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I am going to play one grim motherfucking Bleak Walker when this thing finally comes out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

chiefnewo posted:

Depends on how they are hired. If you can only hire the entire Bleak Walkers order all at once, then it means they've never lost. More likely is that you hire a company (or some other sized chunk) of them and if they get killed you'll have to pay for some more.

I guess what I don't grock is, if a company of Bleak Walkers loses (dies) in a battle, and that's that, doesn't that mean the bell has been unrung, to borrow rope kid's expression? The way I'd envisioned it was that if a company of Bleak Walkers is defeated, then the Bleak Walkers send even more troops to end the battle even more crushingly, because that's literally what they believe in. It kinda takes away from the mystique of a terrifying band of killers for hire who will give no quarter in battle, if the answer to that is just to defeat them.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I guess what I don't grock is, if a company of Bleak Walkers loses (dies) in a battle, and that's that, doesn't that mean the bell has been unrung, to borrow rope kid's expression? The way I'd envisioned it was that if a company of Bleak Walkers is defeated, then the Bleak Walkers send even more troops to end the battle even more crushingly, because that's literally what they believe in. It kinda takes away from the mystique of a terrifying band of killers for hire who will give no quarter in battle, if the answer to that is just to defeat them.

But... not really? If you participate in enough battles, you're eventually going to lose (or underperform) a few. A group that can stay strong despite setbacks is better than a group that always win, at least in a narrative sense.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Also some of the most well known battles in history are about a group of people who did really well against impossible odds but still lost.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

There's also the fact that when they do win, they don't just rout the enemy, they chase every last one of them down and kill them and everyone hanging around them. It's one thing to take on a force knowing that if it starts to go bad at least you might be able to escape, but if you take on the Bleak Walkers you need to be drat sure you'll win.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Clever Spambot posted:

Also some of the most well known battles in history are about a group of people who did really well against impossible odds but still lost.

Could you write an interesting game where at the end you have to lose without it feeling like... Fallout 3's original ending?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does Magran have a Paladin order as well to serve her? Please say yes, Mr. Sawyer- I don't need to know any details, just that there is an order of Paladins who are dedicated to explosions :allears:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

peak debt posted:

The towel thing is, you know, a joke.

Mordaedil posted:

Could you write an interesting game where at the end you have to lose without it feeling like... Fallout 3's original ending?

Spec ops: the line.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mordaedil posted:

Pyhric victory wasn't FO3s problem, the contrived deathtrap in the final moments was the issue.

Fredrik1 posted:

Spec ops: the line.
A decent example where you literally lose for no gain, even if the twist is a little sudden.

Also Dark Souls is a good example, if only for its economy of narrative letting you fill in your own value for your final action.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

zedprime posted:

Also Dark Souls is a good example, if only for its economy of narrative letting you fill in your own value for your final action.

If you die at the end of Dark Souls you chose the wrong ending :unsmigghh:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
I have a question regarding Scripted Interactions. Is the PC always the character who "interacts" with the world through Scripted Interactions, or does it work for whichever character you have selected ? Also for group actions such as "Climb a cliff", "Swim through an underground tunnel" and "Jump over a Bridge", does the one character's check count as a pass for the whole party, or is each individual character's attribute or skill checked individually?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordaedil posted:

Planescape Torment doesn't exactly end well for the player character, but it avoids it feeling cheap.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

dog kisser posted:

If you die at the end of Dark Souls you chose the wrong ending :unsmigghh:

I feel like it might have been harshly criticized if it was outright stated too, but then again, the entire narrative of Dark Souls is intentionally depressing. That is one of it's strengths.

I suppose it really can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

DatonKallandor posted:

Planescape Torment doesn't exactly end well for the player character, but it avoids it feeling cheap.

It doesn't end well per se, but on the flip side it doesn't feel like a LOSS either. At least I didn't feel like that when I played it. The original Mass Effect 3 ending on the other hand... (not that the extended version was much better). Oh wait, that was supposed to be an ending where you win. My bad. It was kind of hard to tell back then :v:

• Locked thread