Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
That was a streetlight manifesto reference at the beginning right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dusseldorf posted:

Is :thejoke: that California Dreaming isn't the Beach Boys?

WELL ACTUALLY

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Oh right I forgot the album I heard that from was streetlight manifesto doing covers.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I just want to say The Dead Milkmen are a fantastic band you should all know about

Their lead singer also looked kinda like Wet Butt back in the day, I guess

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I think the "Min 60 TP" clause for that one skill is just to stop the New Game+ with Skills but No HP making Rita even more busted that she already is by having unending quickcast cheapo novice spells. Though it's still arbitrary.

In other week-old news, there's a new ToV speedrun on the PS4 version. It's 4 hours shorter than the 4P 360 run. Clearly you're playing the inferior version of the game.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Benach posted:

I think the "Min 60 TP" clause for that one skill is just to stop the New Game+ with Skills but No HP making Rita even more busted that she already is by having unending quickcast cheapo novice spells. Though it's still arbitrary.

In other week-old news, there's a new ToV speedrun on the PS4 version. It's 4 hours shorter than the 4P 360 run. Clearly you're playing the inferior version of the game.

She still effectively has unending casting since novice spells max out at 14 TP normally, so you'd be spending maybe 2 per spell and Rita isn't exactly short on TP. All enemies will be dead long before you run out.

The PS3 version has cutscene skip, among other conveniences, so yeah it's entirely superior.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, these videos are making me wanna play Tales games again. Vesperia is the most recent one I've played...but both Graces and Xillia are still in the $30-$40 range, so I'm feeling choosey...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The digital version of Xillia goes on sale fairly often so maybe keep an eye on that.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010
Didn't it just go on sale like a day or two ago?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

FANSean posted:

Didn't it just go on sale like a day or two ago?

Last sale I remember (think it was part of a sale for Golden Week) Xillia was $10 for PS+ members and $20 for non.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
There's a bundle of Graces f and Xillia together for $60. Two Tales games for one game full price sounds like an okay deal, but isn't Graces supposed to be really lovely?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Graces is considered the best playing tales game by a lot of people but the main character is the worst.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BottledBodhisvata posted:

There's a bundle of Graces f and Xillia together for $60. Two Tales games for one game full price sounds like an okay deal, but isn't Graces supposed to be really lovely?

Graces is one of my favourites, the main character is a dumbfuck, but the game is also self-aware about it, so aside from a stupid plot point early on which was just awful it's usually played for laughs. Plus even though he's a moron, at least he's not a massive dickhole like Luke was :argh:

EDIT: VVVV wait really? :psyduck: I LOVED the battle system in graces, it was super slick and smooth, and it felt less spammy and more like you need to put some actual thought into what to do next.

Then again the only other Tales game I completed myself was Legendia :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 17, 2014

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I honestly hated the battle system in Graces, I don't get why it's so highly regarded quite frankly. I had hoped the story or characters might be decent enough to keep me going but good lord if anything they made me quit way sooner.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

Graces is one of my favourites, the main character is a dumbfuck, but the game is also self-aware about it, so aside from a stupid plot point early on which was just awful it's usually played for laughs. Plus even though he's a moron, at least he's not a massive dickhole like Luke was :argh:

How is Xillia? Anything like Vesperia? I really really liked Vesperia's cast.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BottledBodhisvata posted:

How is Xillia? Anything like Vesperia? I really really liked Vesperia's cast.

I haven't played it, but a friend of mine says the cast isn't quite as memorable. The battle system is like a polished version of the Graces one apparently.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well that sixty dollars would probably have just gone to drugs anyway. Bundle bought!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Eh, no, not really, Xillia is closer to Vesperia than Graces battle-system wise, although it does take some elements from Graces.

Like Danaru, I loved Graces' battle system, it's super fast-paced and much more... skillful, I suppose, than the Team Symphonia games. (Does that make sense?)

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Personally, I found that having something like 16 different normal attacks that took up resources along with your artes was a bit annoying, and I really can't sperg hard enough to remember every single thing I can do. Most of my time in Graces f was spent mashing buttons because there were too many things to keep track of.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Graces' CC system replaces the usual long-term TP resource management with short-term CC resource management. Sure, technically your "normal" attacks now take resources, but it's a resource that refills automatically within seconds while you're not attacking, and the way they A-Artes are laid out makes it pretty easy to remember which arte comes when and how, if you ask me. I found that much more satisfying than Team Syphonia's 3-hit -> base arte -> arcane arte -> repeat and occasionally throw a TP gel when you run out.

Arguably CC for normal attacks are no different than how Team Symphonia games only let you do three (or more/less depending on Skills and character) normal attacks in a row before you have to start again.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Eh, no, not really, Xillia is closer to Vesperia than Graces battle-system wise, although it does take some elements from Graces.

Like Danaru, I loved Graces' battle system, it's super fast-paced and much more... skillful, I suppose, than the Team Symphonia games. (Does that make sense?)

Most Tales games' combat systems are mostly about memorizing some good combos, use them at the right time to deal damage (or juggle them to death) and then back off to not get hit. Graces is more about being able to dodge with the right timing to build CC to extend your combos for more damage. It's is still pretty combo dependant, but since the Graces cast is a bit frail compared to the other Tales characters it's definitely more focused on dodging. I actually think Graces is easier than a lot of the other Tales games just because you are so mobile and can pretty much dodge everything if you get good at it. Witch time dodging in a Tales game is really fun against bosses, but normal enemies don't have enough attacks/variation to make it interesting.

I agree with Graces needing more skill, but most of that is just good reflexes. The combat system is the only thing I'll give it over Vesperia though, the dungeons ranged from boring to outright terrible and the story was pretty uninteresting even for Tales standards. Also holy poo poo all that title grinding. Using a bunch of skills thousands of times just isn't my idea of fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another thing about Xillia that is nice is that it's old man character is a actually an Old Man. Being in his late 60s.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love that you have a choice of main characters in Xillia. Running through Milla's story first, but once I finish it I'll see what Jude is about.

Also Rowen is the best character. I don't care.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Senerio posted:

I love that you have a choice of main characters in Xillia. Running through Milla's story first, but once I finish it I'll see what Jude is about.

Also Rowen is the best character. I don't care.

It's usually recommended to do the opposite if you're going to play it twice. I know that's what I did. They explain a lot more things to you in Jude's path and Milla's path makes the assumption that you know a lot of things already.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Unclouded posted:

It's usually recommended to do the opposite if you're going to play it twice. I know that's what I did. They explain a lot more things to you in Jude's path and Milla's path makes the assumption that you know a lot of things already.

Jude's path is also hilariously disappointing if you go through Milla's path first and assume you actually get to see basically anything that happens during the biggest story split :v:

tbh in some sense Milla's story is better because at least the massive gaps in story sort of make sense in it

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Ep 70: Chariots of Fire Youtube

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I guess it was too much to hope for you to force Minifoo to play that segment. Still, you pulled it off without dying once, which is much better than the three attempts it took for me.

edit: And yes, I'm taking difficulty levels into consideration.

Singh Long fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 18, 2014

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I've always found Lottery Gels to be massively useful. Maybe it's just some sort of memory bias, but in my experience across all the Tales games I've played, Lottery Gels more often than not act as the high end gels. I'm pretty sure the worst I've ever gotten is Melange, which isn't bad at all.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Singh Long posted:

I guess it was too much to hope for you to force Minifoo to play that segment. Still, you pulled it off without dying once, which is much better than the three attempts it took for me.

edit: And yes, I'm taking difficulty levels into consideration.

Mini would probably have done better than Kuvo did because you're just supposed to run around (much like what Mini does when he gets to control Karol) until the boss moves into its second phase unless you're like that speedrunner that got posted a bit earlier and kill Baitojoh in 3 hits with a NG+ weapon. Actually the only difference between the speedrun tactic and Kuvo's was that the reaper knocks did 50k damage instead of 2k. :v:

Now that pretty much the entire party has access to their respective mystic arte, I wonder how long it will take for Kuvo to use one. Anybody wanna take bets?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Derpes posted:

Now that pretty much the entire party has access to their respective mystic arte, I wonder how long it will take for Kuvo to use one. Anybody wanna take bets?

$50 on forgetting he has them until after the LP is over

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think the only difference is the color of the horn, apparently that's enough for a new monster book entry. Those are Hard mode stats by the way.

I really like Karol's character moment here, it works well as a sorta conclusion to his character arc. They also do a nice story-gameplay interaction thing by having the new weapon he gets have a skill that allows him to actually carry his weapon instead of dragging it behind him.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I really like Karol's character moment here, it works well as a sorta conclusion to his character arc. They also do a nice story-gameplay interaction thing by having the new weapon he gets have a skill that allows him to actually carry his weapon instead of dragging it behind him.

Wait, that was a mechanic? I thought that was just for attention to detail or something, not an actual debuff. Huh.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Does the skill actually do anything or is it cosmetic? Do his moves change? Can he hit birds now? Did his damage double?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I don't think it does anything apart from that, to be honest. Maybe it changes the attack hitboxes slightly?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I tried to make that gif of Karol rolling off of a cliff, but my skills did not match my vision.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
For the nth time, no, status effects that stay after battles don't just arbituarily "wear off".

Also stop wasting all Overlimit levels on a single one if all you're gonna do from now on is to use it to spam spells.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

AnotherGamer posted:

Also stop wasting all Overlimit levels on a single one if all you're gonna do from now on is to use it to spam spells.

That's a good point actually. The short casting time is an effect of the first OVL level, and if you also want the zero TP usage you only have to go to 3. All the 4th one gives you is invulnerability to damage, which is great, but maybe not exactly useful on a mage halfway across the battlefield of any enemy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I lost it at this one.

silentbrains
Mar 18, 2009
You all are finding all the good ones, I can't really claim credit for this, hahaha.
whar rapoodle 7
(Rushed the last few, I'm sure I missed a bunch...)

Also, Caroll (sorry if someone else was going to do this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

silentbrains posted:

You all are finding all the good ones, I can't really claim credit for this, hahaha.
whar rapoodle 7
(Rushed the last few, I'm sure I missed a bunch...)

Also, Caroll (sorry if someone else was going to do this)

It's everything I had hoped for.

• Locked thread