Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think we can all agree that Bennett can improve on his terrible season and that he has some tools, but I can't even imagine the mental gymnastics it would take to look at that season and say "yep, that's a future Jamal Mashburn all-star right there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

WhyteRyce posted:

On reddit, someone asked if he could turn it around and you had all these people coming out insisting that he'll be an all-star and that it was only because of a terrible situation that he put up historically bad numbers.

Bennett was a really good shooter in college so its not unreasonable to think his awful year shouldn't be a sign of his abilities; Cleveland was a black hole this season. But Bennett was able to get open shots in college because he wasn't morbidly obese.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

I think we can all agree that Bennett can improve on his terrible season and that he has some tools, but I can't even imagine the mental gymnastics it would take to look at that season and say "yep, that's a future Jamal Mashburn all-star right there".

Yeah, but was that ever expected out of anyone in that draft?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

WhyteRyce posted:

Kibner posted:

Yeah, but was that ever expected out of anyone in that draft?

Nerlens Noel, pre-knee

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 20, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hey man, he ended up with a 6.9 PER.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

He also had shoulder surgery in the offseason and missed a lot of time before the season started. He got better after the all-star break. I don't know if he'll ever justify becoming a #1 pick but he won't be Michael Olowokandi levels of bad either

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

morestuff posted:

Hey man, he ended up with a 6.9 PER.

For comparison, that is a full point higher than Rivers who had been playing with an ankle injury against starters.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

:supaburn: using a line chart for what should be a scatter chart (just don't connect the dots!) :supaburn:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
whoops, way late

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

No Safe Word posted:

:supaburn: using a line chart for what should be a scatter chart (just don't connect the dots!) :supaburn:

I like this version, though, because it's detailing a devolution. From Duncan To Bennett, A Survey of What Number One Picks Can Do For You.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Would you trade Austin Rivers for Anthony Bennett?

My point is, Anthony Bennett's going to be the biggest bust in NBA history - can't we as goons just sit back and enjoy the spectacle that is the Cleveland Cavaliers?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Kirios posted:

Would you trade Austin Rivers for Anthony Bennett?

My point is, Anthony Bennett's going to be the biggest bust in NBA history - can't we as goons just sit back and enjoy the spectacle that is the Cleveland Cavaliers?

Yes I would trade Austin Rivers for Anthony Bennett.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd take Bennett over Rivers in a heartbeat. Bennett will probably be an ok player, he was fighting injuries last year. He probably won't be good, but I'd be surprised if he's not at least a rotation guy through his career. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers has trouble getting into rotations.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I honestly don't think Rivers will ever be a decent NBA player whereas Bennett at least had a couple of excuses

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think it's possible for Bennett to be the biggest bust of all time. The expectations for him were not very high at all, in a normal draft there are always several prospects on his level and lots of those guys go nowhere fast, let alone some guys who actually had sky high expectations and never amounted to anything.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I have a feeling Anthony Bennett will at least be better than LaRue Martin

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Can't wait for the Sixers to get absolutely hosed tonight and end up with something like a 5-7 pick.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

double sulk posted:

Can't wait for the Sixers to get absolutely hosed tonight and end up with something like a 5-7 pick.

This would be super funny.

Just let Utah move up to three, I don't want to be greedy.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
According to the lottery machine, Detroit has a roughly 20% chance of losing its pick tonight. I guess we'll see what fortune holds for Stan Van Gundy. I'm sort of terrified that the SVG era will bring terrible drafting and eschew the folksy combo guard wisdom of Joe Dumars.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Don't let the Lakers or Celtics move up.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Agreed

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

If you want to get real mad, go read the Bill Simmons article where he says that the Celtics are the second most deserving team of the top pick based on karma.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Think how long it's been since the Lakers have had the first pick. Just seems fair they get it to me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

double sulk posted:

If you want to get real mad, go read the Bill Simmons article where he says that the Celtics are the second most deserving team of the top pick based on karma.

Ehh, it's a stupid hypothetical article about mystical karma and I agree with most of what he said. They were the only "tanky" team that wasn't surrounded by the stench of despair.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Also don't let Dan Gilbert's son move up either.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

But who would be the villains if not the Lakers or Celtics??

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

attackmole posted:

Ehh, it's a stupid hypothetical article about mystical karma and I agree with most of what he said. They were the only "tanky" team that wasn't surrounded by the stench of despair.

Only because they were so boring and lovely that nobody talked about them.

who wants to talk about kelly olynyk?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

old dog child posted:

But who would be the villains if not the Lakers or Celtics??

We already have the Heat, even if every other team were plucky, loveable underdogs the league would have a plenty good antagonist.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

double sulk posted:

Even levaing aside that karma is a dumb pretend thing not worth arguing about, what the heck did you think you were getting from a column by Bill Simmons? If you're mad that's your own dumb fault.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Don't feel good about tonight. Either the Sixers miss the top 2 or somehow Wiggins/Embiid are a bust.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Let's just skip to the part where the Lakers win the lottery because the universe is cruel

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

uggy posted:

Only because they were so boring and lovely that nobody talked about them.

who wants to talk about kelly olynyk?

Tommy Heinsohn. Every game. Constantly.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I expected to hate the poo poo out of Kelly Olynyk and instead I am merely indifferent to him. That's the most praise I can muster.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings haven't drafted in the top 3 since Billy loving Owens and we have a new owner so where is our rigged lottery bump drat it :mad:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Inside Outside posted:

I expected to hate the poo poo out of Kelly Olynyk and instead I am merely indifferent to him. That's the most praise I can muster.

He can hit three-pointers, so there's at least some novelty

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Would this be as hilarious as I'm imagining it would be?

quote:

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 3m
Dante Exum is in the mix for No. 1 w/ the Bucks, Magic & Lakers. But he’s gonna have to prove it in workouts

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

xbilkis posted:

He could be good! Nobody has seen him, so who knows.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vivek sent his daughter to represent the Kings. I'm assuming we'll hear some creepy goony girl chat over it

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

xbilkis posted:

I really doubt it's actually true, unless proving it in workouts = slaughtering the competition in a way we don't ever see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like a lot of the Lakers/Exum stuff is completely manufactured. I mean the Lakers have liked a lot of guys in the past and they've never bought them expensive game tickets 10 times throughout the season. That feels like an agent trying to create an appearance.

• Locked thread