Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I gotta admit, hearing Patrick say "No way is there a Kinect-less SKU announcement at E3" on the newest Bombcast, then listening to Idle Thumbs immediately after and hearing "Kinect-less SKU announced today" was pretty funny. Not to bash Patrick though, because he's technically right :v:

He was just pissing in the wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dezinus posted:

Not especially relevant, but I can't miss an opportunity to repost this.

What a weird thing Microsoft Games has become.

"Beta tested in the future" was better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NmareBfly posted:

One of the thumbs was looking for a word meaning fat that starts with p. I would like to submit paunchy. That is all.
Portly would be the most apropos.

Dezinus posted:

Not especially relevant, but I can't miss an opportunity to repost this.

What a weird thing Microsoft Games has become.
I don't get your point. It's a bad poster and weak slogan, but it's far from "weird."

Edit: what'd actually have been clever would be to make it into a Dumas callback. "All for the One and XBox One for all, united we stand for release this coming Fall".

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 16, 2014

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I gotta admit, hearing Patrick say "No way is there a Kinect-less SKU announcement at E3" on the newest Bombcast, then listening to Idle Thumbs immediately after and hearing "Kinect-less SKU announced today" was pretty funny. Not to bash Patrick though, because he's technically right :v:

Red Red Blue posted:

He was just pissing in the wind

This is why Vinny is the best occasional host.

That whole bit with Patrick's botched predictions was hilarious.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

C-Euro posted:

I caught the version that Vinny edited, which is downright hilarious. I'm pretty sure there's a version up on YT if you're curious.

Seriously, Vinny should host/edit every Bombcast, he's way better than Jeff at it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

NmareBfly posted:

One of the thumbs was looking for a word meaning fat that starts with p. I would like to submit paunchy. That is all.

Portly, Pudgy, Plump.

There's many!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

EC posted:

Seriously, Vinny should host/edit every Bombcast, he's way better than Jeff at it.

The reason the Vinny versions are so good is that he doesn't do it all the time.

If he had to do it every week, considering how busy the guys over there must be, he'd do a straight-laced job just like Jeff does.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

NmareBfly posted:

I don't know the context but 'plump'

Edit: whoops beaten by hours

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 17, 2014

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Bonfireside Chat guys, I've only just started listening and your conversation about losing souls and how losing 60k was a big deal made me lol because last night on NG++ of Dark Souls 2 I lost 760,000 and was all "Huh, oh well."

Very much enjoying the podcast, though! Wish it was video, though, but I understand why it's not.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

The latest episode of Three Moves Ahead, which is a discussion about EVE with some EVE fleet commanders, is highly recommended.

Excellent episode. I always find eve stories fascinating. It's such a unique game in that it can create these amazing narratives.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ja2ke posted:

I think Chris' point still stands despite us getting those details wrong, because it's still like 10+ content variants of various kinds across 10+ SKUs. I think he was using the hat as a specific example for a broader point . We probably should have disclaimed that we weren't sure of the details of the preorder items, though.

Also... I think that if we had known the hat was real at the time and seen the photo of it, we whould have just shat on that instead because his "iconic cap" is just a black baseball hat with a black logo stitched into it. Maybe the black stitching literally says the word "iconic," which is the only way the word iconic would apply to that design, but I couldn't read the black on black to be sure. (I'm sure it was just some logo insignia from the game world though.)

When are you announcing the limited edition physical release of Firewatch that includes a statuette of the iconic watchtower?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

For those of you who want to complete the whole look with the iconic hat, you are all just in luck, as you can purchase officially licensed clothing as well. Who can forget the unmistakable grey v-neck shirt and the unforgettable black jeans; order today! https://www.frankandoak.com/watchdogs/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Szmitten posted:

When are you announcing the limited edition physical release of Firewatch that includes a statuette of the iconic watchtower?

The funny thing is that a firewatch tower actually is iconic. I'm almost certain you can buy one inHO scale.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've actually been listening to Idle Thumbs on the Youtube channel because I like how it's pseudo-split into chapters and such, but it's 3 weeks behind (not really a problem because I'm even further behind) but it hasn't been abandoned has it? Although I guess editing a video together after the podcast while you're all working might be a little lower priority.

Al! posted:

The funny thing is that a firewatch tower actually is iconic. I'm almost certain you can buy one inHO scale.

Preorder Firewatch now for a scale model of THE watchtower made personally by hand by Jake Rodkin himself.*

*Assembly required. Includes glue. Baboo.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The videos are done by a 'reader.'

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The youtube videos are posted by a reader named Johnny Driggs. He wrote us recently to say he'd be behind for a bit and we forgot to announce that on the air! Anyway they are not abandoned.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Szmitten posted:

Firewatch: Prepare To Watch Edition

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ja2ke posted:

The youtube videos are posted by a reader named Johnny Driggs. He wrote us recently to say he'd be behind for a bit and we forgot to announce that on the air! Anyway they are not abandoned.

Thanks. He'll probably start uploading again before I reach the present anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was listening to the Best Friendscast back catalog and they were talking about Lightning Returns's ending being so abominably awful that it ruined Final Fantasy forever on from here. I just watched this, and aside from my brains dribbling out of my ears and it seeming so stupid it risks creating a rent in the fabric of reality from being so far up its own rear end, it didn't seem like it made future Final Fantasy games impossible or whatever. Can someone explain why they consider it series suicide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GbYsIDIeYk

Granted I haven't played a Final Fantasy since 10, and haven't even paid attention to the series since then, so maybe there's some underlying story bit I'm missing for context.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's people overreacting. poo poo, I can think of a 16-bit RPG that had almost literally the same ending and nobody flipped their poo poo over it/it got a few sequels and spinoffs anyway.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

It's a dumb ending to a dumb story but the idea that it could ruin the other games is just a bit of hyperbole. The numbered FF games are still all basically independent of each other (although the next one might be set somewhere eerily similar to the FF13 universe due to behind-the-scenes stuff I won't go into).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, so you're telling me a bunch of nerds got lovely about a video game ending they didn't like? Unprecedented! (If only.)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

In regards to the marketing talk, as a 30 year old who works in marketing (I'm a web guy but work directly with marketing) they are all loving dinosaurs who live in a bubble. I've worked full time for 3 different companies and each time it's been the same. It's why I love the "Poochie" simpsons episode so much because their is so much accuracy.

Hey, speaking of marketing anyone in here been reading "Console Wars"? I'm about halfway through and it's a fantastic read for a myriad of reasons.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

In regards to the marketing talk, as a 30 year old who works in marketing (I'm a web guy but work directly with marketing)

Sup marketing buddy. I work at an animation studio that primarily does client work for tech companies. I spend most of my days writing, and I can't tell you how many times something even more cringe-worthy than "Iconic Cap" has been mandated into a script. It breaks my heart every time. The majority of this embarrassing language comes from inside the companies themselves, and most of the time it's not worth fighting back in the name of good taste.

Everyone talks like that because everyone talks like that.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Thanks to the WOFF episode, I jumped into a replay of Killer7 for the first time since it came out. Tried to do the same with Shadow of the Colossus when that episode came out but it didn't really grab me the way Killer7 has. I've watched Chip's LP of it a couple times because I enjoyed the story but I've found myself actually enjoying how the game plays too this go around, so thanks for covering it guys.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey, speaking of marketing anyone in here been reading "Console Wars"? I'm about halfway through and it's a fantastic read for a myriad of reasons.

I bought it but have not begun the book yet since I've been working for days. I have today/tomorrow off, will probably dig in.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I will never get tired of / understand the arguments about Don't Starve on VGHD :allears:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

So I just started playing Dark Souls 1. Is there a point where I can start listening to select episodes of Bonfireside Chat without spoiling anything or should I wait until I clear the game before even bothering.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
We keep it relatively spoiler-free up until the Anor Londo episode. Maybe keep your listening to two areas behind where you're at.

The Appendixes tend to have more spoiler material in them than the main episodes.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Pasco posted:

I will never get tired of / understand the arguments about Don't Starve on VGHD :allears:

Maybe we'll just make a supercut of those for the next episode -- we recorded a show last week and lost mine and Kevin's audio in a crash, and then we re-recorded later and lost Riff's audio to a corrupted SD card.

I'm gonna try to thread something stupid together.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

zapjackson posted:

Maybe we'll just make a supercut of those for the next episode -- we recorded a show last week and lost mine and Kevin's audio in a crash, and then we re-recorded later and lost Riff's audio to a corrupted SD card.

Wow :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I sense a running theme with gaming podcasts whose owners also post in this thread...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Don't they record at the same location too?

Maybe it's cursed :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Continuing through the BFC, they mention James Franco throwing out jokes to die at the Oscars. I know I've seen it before but I can't seem to find it with some googling, does anyone have a video of it?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

Continuing through the BFC, they mention James Franco throwing out jokes to die at the Oscars. I know I've seen it before but I can't seem to find it with some googling, does anyone have a video of it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=james+franco+oscars+high

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love lmgtfy because it let's you know who is a shithead at a glance.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

zapjackson posted:

Well I'm two minutes into it and I'm gonna go ahead and call this a rousing success.

EDIT: Can you just gently caress with Riff's audio every episode even when everything goes well? He thinks the listeners are suuuper stuuupid so he deserves it anyway.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 21, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

I love lmgtfy because it let's you know who is a shithead at a glance.
As opposed to lazy fools who never learned how to use a library card catalog?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

I searched and found a different video that didn't seem to be the one they meant. I don't see why you needed to be an unfunny idiot especially since I said I already googled it and was asking if someone knew for sure which one it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

EDIT: Can you just gently caress with Riff's audio every episode even when everything goes well? He thinks the listeners are suuuper stuuupid so he deserves it anyway.
What?

coyo7e posted:

Yeah man, you stick it to that guy for asking a thing!

• Locked thread