Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

precision posted:

Yes, that's why he should stop doing it unless it's absolutely crucial to the plot. Like I said earlier, killing off Oberyn would just be a complete dick move, we're due for some new blood in the cast, especially since Jojen and Meera are incredibly boring now that Meera doesn't get to fight over who's the better babysitter for Bran.

That made me think, has that dude that lusted for Meera to get raped that I gave a custom title to still post? I have had avatars off since the Joffrey spoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

That made me think, has that dude that lusted for Meera to get raped that I gave a custom title to still post? I have had avatars off since the Joffrey spoil.

He showed up again.

Guess what he posted about.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Killing off characters isn't a gimmick, its literally a major theme in the story. All men must die. It also has nothing to do with his "career", he's written other books, has some great short story collections, and has been a professional in Hollywood for over a decade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baldbeard posted:

Killing off characters isn't a gimmick, its literally a major theme in the story. All men must die. It also has nothing to do with his "career", he's written other books, has some great short story collections, and has been a professional in Hollywood for over a decade.

He's also a creepy fat old man that leers at teenage girls.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baldbeard posted:

Exactly. He's not saying that every character is doomed to fail and that there's no point in caring about them. He's saying that a victory for these characters has to be earned, and they have to experience defeat, loss and struggle to reach their goals.

It's taking the idea of the heroes' journey to its logical conclusion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

grrm's entire career consisted of setting up the exact same dominoes and then knocking them down until he finally, mercifully, ran out of ideas

Do you think he is kinda just hoping he will die soon so he doesn't have to finish the series?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

kiimo posted:

There hasn't been a rape in a few episodes so I guess he hasn't felt the need to chime in. Or maybe he got probated.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I'm only up to book 2, so there's no spoilers paraded as speculation.

I don't think this season's episode 9 peak is going to be boring like everyone thinks. Sure the Tyrion story will probably peak next episode, and Dany and Jon's storylines are lackluster, but there are many other stories that have been building. Ramsay Snow is such a wildcard that his story could turn on a dime. Arya and the Hound's story has bee burning low for a while, and she's still got Checkov's Braavosi coin. Littlefinger has emerged as the new big bad, and I am so interested to see what he does with Sansa. Stannis's story will probably be a bit of a cliffhanger, I can't see his story picking up for a bit. Even though he was funded, he still has a lot of prep work to do. There's also the Iron Islands and Dorne that are in the show's back pocket.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Shadow posted:

We haven't seen Walder Frey in a while. I'm thinking he's due for an appearance by episode 9.

I hope Walder Frey is a character that pretty much existed to facilitate the Red Wedding and then disappear. Maybe he can come back much later so Arya can knife him, but he really has no purpose otherwise.

I do wanna see Roose Bolton come back and try to rule the North.

Macaluso posted:

As a show only watcher, I was under the impression that most fans on either side thought Cat was an idiot? I mean Robb was an idiot too by betraying Walder Frey, but he was also right when Cat was worrying about getting Arya and Sansa back and he goes "It's more complicated than that, you know it is!". Like, I understand her actions. She's a desperate mother who just wants her girls back. But her actions are also stupid and cost them a valuable hostage.

Cat was dumb, and also a dick. She put Robb in a super awkward position by releasing Jaime (ultimately costing him one of his bannermen, whose crime was kinda lesser than Cat's). Also she cut that girl's throat at the Red Wedding out of spite. Girl had nothing to do with it, and Frey obviously gave no fucks, so she just did it to be petty.

Being a Stark or a Tully seems to be a recipe for terminal stupidity (Benjen excepted). Stark kids are fighting some big odds (only Sansa is really fighting those odds, the others are leaning in to it).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

precision posted:

Yes, that's why he should stop doing it unless it's absolutely crucial to the plot. Like I said earlier, killing off Oberyn would just be a complete dick move, we're due for some new blood in the cast, especially since Jojen and Meera are incredibly boring now that Meera doesn't get to fight over who's the better babysitter for Bran.

How's it going to be a dick move if Oberyn dies? Is it because you like Oberyn? He was a character just introduced this season, true, but so was Ned. And even so, who's to say that the next Oberyn-like character in season 5 won't be just as amazing or more amazing?

precision posted:

He's also a creepy fat old man that leers at teenage girls.

This just makes me feel like you're salty as all hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doltos posted:

How's it going to be a dick move if Oberyn dies? Is it because you like Oberyn?

I do, but mostly because the implications of him being a new player in the Game are way more interesting than him being dead.

I will laugh so hard if Gendry's boat is the last shot of the season.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
At the end of S3 melisandre was like "yoooo everybody get hype someone is gonna finally loving fight the white walkers" and in 7 episodes the only thing Stannis has done is go to the bank

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Can you lovely fucks stop talking about lovely books.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Shouldn't the Wildling army be getting to the wall any minute now? What is the goddam hold up? In the time since Ygritte and Tormund left the main army with Jon, their little band has had time to scale the wall, plunder in the north, wound Jon Snow, meet up with the Thenns, and plunder some more. Jon has recovered, went back 60 miles north, rooted out the mutineers, and came back to the wall. Still no sign of the main army. What the gently caress are the Wildlings doing? Don't they have a giant undead army on their rear end? Shouldn't they be hurrying? Are they all dead, eaten by ice zombies?

I looked at a map, Craster's is equidistant from Castle Black and the Fist of the First Men, which I believe is where Sam shat his pants when he saw the WW army at the end of season two. Something doesn't add up. Is the White Walker army in between the Wildling army and Castle Black?

ironlung fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 20, 2014

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rejected Fate posted:

As a book-reader, a lot of the best dialogue is pretty good in the books but becomes excellent in the show - this is not because of the show-writers or even really that much because of the direction but because GoT has some A-star talent. Tyrion can be fun in the books, but GRRM's dialogue alone can't capture the charm Peter Dinklage brings to the screen.

Also there's a lot of really great moments that are show-only, especially some of the thread favourites. I really don't want to point out too many of them because it might lead to some conclusions that wouldn't occur if book-chat wasn't happening but Arya and the Hound seems to be everyone's favourites at the moment and most of that's new. And there's a lot of things like that. There's also a lot of things that are less bad in the show than they were in the books.

Of course there's lots of things better in the show. But in every episode that I can remember, the scene and dialogue everyone that gets the biggest positive reaction here is something that's word from word from the books while the scenes that get the biggest complaints are totally new. Usually the spoiler thread is complaining about the same things.

I'm not saying which one is better than the other. I'm just saying how bizarre it is for fans of the show to say he's a terrible writer. Or a good storyteller but bad at prose.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ironlung posted:

Shouldn't the Wildling army be getting to the wall any minute now? What is the goddam hold up? In the time since Ygritte and Tormund left the main army with Jon, their little band has had time to scale the wall, plunder in the north, wound Jon Snow, meet up with the Thenns, and plunder some more. Jon has recovered, went back 60 miles north, rooted out the mutineers, and came back to the wall. Still no sign of the main army. What the gently caress are the Wildlings doing?

I was under the impression they were waiting on Tormund and the cannibals to take Castle Black (or find some other way through the Wall) for the exact reason that they didn't want to/couldn't have their whole army climb the wall.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Characters move at the speed of plot. The show isn't ready for them to arrive yet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think Tormund's group is waiting for Mance's signal.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

precision posted:

I was under the impression they were waiting on Tormund and the cannibals to take Castle Black (or find some other way through the Wall) for the exact reason that they didn't want to/couldn't have their whole army climb the wall.

Right. So I guess the question is, where is the White Walker army in relation to the huge 100k group of Wildlings?

edit: actually I'm pretty sure it is Mance who is supposed to give Tormund the signal to attack, in the form of "the biggest fire the north has ever seen"

ironlung fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 20, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ironlung posted:

Shouldn't the Wildling army be getting to the wall any minute now? What is the goddam hold up? In the time since Ygritte and Tormund left the main army with Jon, their little band has had time to scale the wall, plunder in the north, wound Jon Snow, meet up with the Thenns, and plunder some more. Jon has recovered, went back 60 miles north, rooted out the mutineers, and came back to the wall. Still no sign of the main army. What the gently caress are the Wildlings doing? Don't they have a giant undead army on their rear end? Shouldn't they be hurrying? Are they all dead, eaten by ice zombies?

I looked at a map, Craster's is equidistant from Castle Black and the Fist of the First Men, which I believe is where Sam shat his pants when he saw the WW army at the end of season two. Something doesn't add up. Is the White Walker army in between the Wildling army and Castle Black?

Between this and Dany's storyline jogging in place for three loving seasons it does get a little tiresome.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Bobo the Red posted:

Also she cut that girl's throat at the Red Wedding out of spite.
Dunno thinking some events which unfolded before that may have affected her judgment

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Dany's storyline jogging in place for three loving seasons

She went from starving in the desert with a tiny group to ruling a huge city with tens of thousands of followers. How is that jogging in place?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Between this and Dany's storyline jogging in place for three loving seasons it does get a little tiresome.

Can I get a book reader to PM me spoilers about roughly when Dany gets to Westeros? Please don't spoil too much or I might buy you a dumb anime avatar, tia.

edit: And done, thanks.

precision fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 20, 2014

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Dany hate is completely unjustified.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Wildling army is definitely and totally dead by White Walkers. I think what the Night Watch see as an attack, will be the few survivors running hard.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Dunno thinking some events which unfolded before that may have affected her judgment

Yeah, but the girl had nothing to do with it, and she knew killing her wouldn't accomplish anything at all. What is that except spite?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thom12255 posted:

I like Dany, but she is seriously becoming "the crazy Targaryen". Her brother was a creep and all but right now she's on the direct path to becoming The Mad Queen.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bobo the Red posted:

Yeah, but the girl had nothing to do with it, and she knew killing her wouldn't accomplish anything at all. What is that except spite?

A crime of passion, which would probably be a very viable defense if she were in a modern trial.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

Wildling army is definitely and totally dead by White Walkers. I think what the Night Watch see as an attack, will be the few survivors running hard.

She swears on everything that unless she gets her way she will kill the girl and is just laughed at while her last son is murdered right there over his womb-stabbed pregnant wife.

Beep-boop, why isn't she acting rational about this?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

BioMe posted:

She swears on everything that unless she gets her way she will kill the girl and is just laughed at while her last son is murdered right there over his womb-stabbed pregnant wife.

Beep-boop, why isn't she acting rational about this?

I'm not saying I expect her to be rational. I'm saying it was a dick move.

I know the Starks are pseudo-protagonists, but that doesn't mean that Cat killing a girl for no reason doesn't kinda make her an rear end in a top hat. Same with Arya, and even Bran.

MrBims posted:

A crime of passion, which would probably be a very viable defense if she were in a modern trial.

"I was scared and angry, so I killed a lady who was next to me (who was scared and innocent)."

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...
The Starks are all about honor. She was just keeping true to her word.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Cat kind of died inside when Robb was killed, since she had on a cold dead stare from the moment Robb dies to the moment she dies. Even if they didn't kill her I don't think she'd be in the right state of mind for the rest of her life.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
So what happens to Tyrion if his champion in the trial by combat dies in the battle? Does the Mountain just immediately go over and chop his head off or something?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

olin posted:

So what happens to Tyrion if his champion in the trial by combat dies in the battle? Does the Mountain just immediately go over and chop his head off or something?

Tyrion would be guilty (the gods have judged him guilty by letting his champion lose) but I think it still would by up to Tywin what the punishment would be.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Joke or not, I groan every time someone insists the pyramids were built by slave labor.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

olin posted:

It just means that he's guilty. Basically by choosing trial by combat he gave up his right to a trial by the people in exchange for a trial by the Gods. If his champion wins, he's innocent and if he loses, he's guilty. The punishment in that case will be whatever the judge (Tywin) decides it should be.

e: beaten like whoever will lose the fight in two weeks

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The newest and 3rd actor who plays the mountain seems like he has kind eyes or something. He just doesn't give off that monster vibe that we need.
Maybe it's his pristine trimmed beard and chest hair, I don't know. This is a guy who sodomizes little girls to death. Why did they cast a guy who looks like a nicer stone cold steve austin?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

regulargonzalez posted:

If you think Robert Anton Wilson and William Gibson write better prose than GRRM ... well I dunno what to tell you. You have unique tastes, I guess. If anyone deserves the backhanded compliment of "oh he's a good storyteller but is bad at the writing thing" it's William Gibson.

Gibson's no Nabokov, but he's a vastly superior prose stylist to GRRM. GRRM's gift is writing tightly plotted(at least by comparison to what's typical for the genre) fantasy that departs from the stale tropes of fantasy and which maintains a sort of soap opera feel, which makes sense given his time as a screenwriter. His characters aren't cardboard cut-outs, which is more than most genre authors can manage, but they're not very psychologically nuanced portraits nor is the dialogue particularly well-written. When GoT falters it's when the unity of action dissipates, which is why all the Yunkai stuff is so dull. Cut all the Dany stuff completely and the show still works.

Bobo the Red posted:

Cat was dumb, and also a dick. She put Robb in a super awkward position by releasing Jaime (ultimately costing him one of his bannermen, whose crime was kinda lesser than Cat's). Also she cut that girl's throat at the Red Wedding out of spite. Girl had nothing to do with it, and Frey obviously gave no fucks, so she just did it to be petty.

Being a Stark or a Tully seems to be a recipe for terminal stupidity (Benjen excepted). Stark kids are fighting some big odds (only Sansa is really fighting those odds, the others are leaning in to it).

The Cat hate from goony GoT fans is almost as bad as the Skyler hate was with Breaking Bad. At least Catelyn had a good reason for releasing Jaime, and her plan made sense given the Lannister obsession for paying their debts. There's nothing unrealistic about a prisoner exchange in GoT, the objection to it seemed based mainly on the desire for revenge on the part of some of Robb's men. Robb, on the other hand, throws away a vital alliance and helps to precipitate the Red Wedding by ditching his arranged marriage with the Freys for no better reason than wanting some Braavosi strange.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

precision posted:

The problem is that it is predictable. "Here is a character that is awesome. He/she will suffer horribly." It's bad storytelling not because bad things happen to people we like, but because everything becomes telegraphed. Jaime becomes likable? Hand chopped off. Ned dies. Robb gets Red Wedding'd. It's something you have to use sparingly, and not do it to every loving character. I'm already fully expecting The Hound to die this season purely because he has become a very interesting character.

We will have to disagree that GRRM is a genius because the first two books are two of the worst books I have ever read and the fact that the show has made them into a good story is a miracle.

Hey, I have to object here. Nobody saw Ned's death or the Red Wedding coming, so it's hardly telegraphed. The Ned thing was a case of 'fool me once'. The RW was a case of 'fool me twice', and because we never get passed being fooled twice that we get bitter about every death after that.

BubbleGoose fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 20, 2014

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

I agree. But Emilia Clarke is just awful. She's so boring to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So with a trial by combat, could someone basically be the most vile and evil person ever but always get away with it because they're a proficient fighter?

• Locked thread