Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Zogundar posted:

Wasn't it explicitly stated somewhere that this takes place 2000 years in the future? Or did I imagine that?

First chapter, yes, but 2000 years in the future relevant to what time exactly? Regardless I think it's high time the Cylons finally show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The first chapter is "To you, 2000 years in the future". Make of that what you will, but there's really no reason to discuss it or come up with theories because a) there's not enough evidence to support one claim over another and b) it doesn't really matter at all.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Well, the similarities between this and battlestar are already abundant and precise, may as well go whole hog on it.

It's obvious now. The secret in the basement is a recording of All Along the Watchtower.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kassad posted:

It's obvious now. The secret in the basement is a recording of All Along the Watchtower.

And then everyone was a titan all along.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Can I say I really like the design of the anti-human MG? With the reinforced upper arms, they're designed for pure agility and stability, zipping from point to point. Anti-titan MG puts all the force at the hips leaving the arms to swing, and the purpose of that is to allow the user the build up momentum for an attack run on a titan's neck.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

terrordactle posted:

Am I the only one with the theory that this all takes place in the past, and the titan battles will become the inspiration for different mythologies in the future?
Wall Sina wasn't built in a day :q:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't wait for Anti-Personnel 3DMG to be cosplayed at conventions and show watchers will be confused as hell as to what's going on.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I never really thought about cospoilers before.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've finally caught up after taking a break for a few months (and will probably take another break for a few months so I can power through the story arcs). Great stuff overall, albeit kind of slow burning. Although this stuff reminds me too much of Full Metal Alchemist. That said, I do have a soft spot for the little man bringing down the corrupt regime. But I must say the creator really hates humanity, doesn't he? I'm half expecting the story to conclude in the confines of the setting he created then have the world get hit by a meteor, destroying the entire world and killing everything followed by a black page with huge white words "gently caress everyone and everything. Humanity is poo poo and everything you do is meaningless!"

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 13, 2014

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I think you missed the Gantz or Wolfsmund threads.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

change my name posted:

And then everyone was a titan all along.
Who are the final five titans?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Traveller posted:

I think you missed the Gantz or Wolfsmund threads.
Surely this is too garbage to ever merit its own thread!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Jimbot posted:

I've finally caught up after taking a break for a few months (and will probably take another break for a few months so I can power through the story arcs). Great stuff overall, albeit kind of slow burning. Although this stuff reminds me too much of Full Metal Alchemist. That said, I do have a soft spot for the little man bringing down the corrupt regime. But I must say the creator really hates humanity, doesn't he? I'm half expecting the story to conclude in the confines of the setting he created then have the world get hit by a meteor, destroying the entire world and killing everything followed by a black page with huge white words "gently caress everyone and everything. Humanity is poo poo and everything you do is meaningless!"
While humanity in the AoT universe is certainly hosed six ways from Sunday, I don't think Isayama entirely hates humanity. If he really hated humanity, we'd see all kinds of edgy grimdark poo poo a la Gantz - Eren's titan would be powered by eating babies, and Mikasa would be some kind of sexy torture fiend.

The thing I like about AoT is that for all its grimdarkness, it has hope in equal measure too. Eren's an impotently furious teenager, but he's really trying his best to protect everyone. Mikasa is an obsessive, broken woman, but her commitment to her remaining family is noble. Armin's quest to dehumanize himself and face to bloodshed is understandable, but is not shown as being unquestionably the right choice. Jean is the everyman stand-in for all of humanity, and he's shown to be selfish by instinct, but noble by experience.

Even the villains in the manga are shown to be sympathetic and deeply scarred by their sins. The starving titans, the faceless corrupt authorities - these are the alien enemy, but humanity itself is shown fairly kindly.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

But I must say the creator really hates humanity, doesn't he? I'm half expecting the story to conclude in the confines of the setting he created then have the world get hit by a meteor, destroying the entire world and killing everything followed by a black page with huge white words "gently caress everyone and everything. Humanity is poo poo and everything you do is meaningless!"

Squidster got it right. But let's go a step further. If this were true, significant effort wouldn't be done to humanize and give sympathy to the villains. Every villain so far has completely justifiable or at the very least understandable reasons to do what they do.

Berthold and Reiner believe they're too far gone and mission is too important to turn back now. They were deceiving the 104th but being their friends wasn't a lie. Annie couldn't kill Armin, Mikasa couldn't bring herself to kill Reiner and Berthold. Berthold and Reiner try to get Ymir to leave in 50.5's epilogue. Berthold cried out of gratitude when Ymir revealed her reasons for helping them in Shiganshina. Djel Sannes truly believed in his duty. Sannes even got it 110% right when he called out Hanji during torture- just saying justice is on your side for comfort doesn't excuse immoral actions.

http://imgur.com/a/RXkmj

What is more human than having empathy for and understanding of someone you have to fight for your own reasons? You better believe the remaining conspirators are gonna be given the same treatment. Only the hidden antagonist of the series is going to potentially be truly unsympathetic. We don't really have a backstory to Kaney yet but he kept Levi under his wing- if he was just a simple psychopathic mass murderer why would he attempt to raise a child?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 13, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Only the hidden antagonist of the series

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I won't say the villains are sympathetic, they have too much blood on their hands and have abused their powers far too much. I will say that they are noticably human, all their actions take place on the natural spectrum of the human condition, they have done nothing that has not been replicated in the real world. Even the SS camp guards or the soldiers who raped and murdered infants in Nanjing were human, with human thoughts running through their heads.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The events of this arc honestly remind me of that point in FMA where Mustang gets played by Raven and is stripped of his subordinates, now that someone brought it up.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Cardboard Box A posted:

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again

I can see all spans of time, not very clearly mind you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm just copying this wholesale:

Fans of the Attack on Titan manga have discovered that while the in-world text appears to be gibberish, it's actually pretty easy to decipher. All you have to do is flip the page upside-down, and voilą, a message appears in sloppily-scrawled katakana.

Here's a panel from the most recent chapter of Attack on Titan.

Mouseover the spoilers for some mind-rending information.:monocle:

Rock scissors paper, rock scissors paper, rock scissors paper
So, what should I make, what should I make
In my right hand, a wiener, in my left hand, a pussy
Sex sex
Raw barley, raw rice, raw eggs
Talking dirty all day, all right!
'

Thanks ANN!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

a kitten posted:

I'm just copying this wholesale:

Fans of the Attack on Titan manga have discovered that while the in-world text appears to be gibberish, it's actually pretty easy to decipher. All you have to do is flip the page upside-down, and voilą, a message appears in sloppily-scrawled katakana.

We've known this since way back when with the can of herring and the description of what happened in the before times on the volume covers, haven't we?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

We've known this since way back when with the can of herring and the description of what happened in the before times on the volume covers, haven't we?

It's news to me. That was my first question on reading this- what was on the herring?

Isayama- corruptor of children.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Squidster posted:

The official translation is up, and it seems pretty identical to the earlier leak. But Kenny The Ripper? That's not really a fear-inspiring name.

Every month I get punched in the gut, only to crawl back and say, "May I have some more, please?"

terrordactle posted:

Am I the only one with the theory that this all takes place in the past, and the titan battles will become the inspiration for different mythologies in the future?

What really bugs me is that the first time in the manga we're introduced to Mikasa and Eren, Eren is having a dream-vision about Mikasa saying Goodbye to him, and the first thing Eren says when he wakes up is, "Mikasa, your hair's gotten long again, hasn't it?"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Catalina posted:

What really bugs me is that the first time in the manga we're introduced to Mikasa and Eren, Eren is having a dream-vision about Mikasa saying Goodbye to him, and the first thing Eren says when he wakes up is, "Mikasa, your hair's gotten long again, hasn't it?"

Eren couldn't remember the dream. The woman he was talking to is probably http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/54/4/ her.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Eren couldn't remember the dream. The woman he was talking to is probably http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/54/4/ her.

Hm, yeah, I can see that as a distinct possibility. (Though I don't know why Eren would comment on Mikasa's hair immediately afterwards). I think it's possible she and Eren are related, too. Actually, when Eren was thinking about his dad and saw Christa's Creepy Big Sister Figure in a vision, I immediately thought, "Oh that's why we haven't seen Grisha; he got a sex change to hide himself."

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Does the artist of SoT want Sasha and Connie together in their *cringe* headcannon?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sasha/Food is my only OTP.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You'd be surprised at how often that pairing comes up. Like, I think it's the next step down after Sasha/Food in terms of fandom popularity.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Catalina posted:

I immediately thought, "Oh that's why we haven't seen Grisha; he got a sex change to hide himself."
No that only happens in historical intrigue animes about French knights.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Jackard posted:

No that only happens in historical intrigue animes about French knights.

Hahah what? What's this about?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chevalier_D%27Eon

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
It's kinda boring and the ending will make you :psyduck: harder than Darker than Black's.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's news to me. That was my first question on reading this- what was on the herring?

Isayama- corruptor of children.

The tin said "nishin" or herring. Here's a post from a year ago laying it out--it's in Japanese but it has images showing the flipped volume covers and herring can.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Toadsniff posted:

It's kinda boring and the ending will make you :psyduck: harder than Darker than Black's.
Yea I'll watch pretty much anything fantasy or historical fiction; no loving idea what was up with that ending

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This is much better than planking! :haw:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AradoBalanga posted:

You'd be surprised at how often that pairing comes up. Like, I think it's the next step down after Sasha/Food in terms of fandom popularity.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to pair the comic relief characters up.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

There is absolutely no relationship teasing in this episode of SoT.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You know this would be cute and all but when you actually THINK about it, Christ. :negative:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
... I totally just realized these comics have more than one page to them. Well, time to read them all for reals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Maybe this got explained at some point and I wasn't paying attention, but is it ever said what happened to the other three wall-cities on the outer wall once the first one fell? Were they similarly compromised or did they become isolated and sealed on both ends?