Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Anybody else with a corporate discount get a T-Mobile Advantage Program Verification postcard?

I did. but I'm no longer with the corporation that I got the discount with. If I switch to another one that I can legitimately use, will I still get the monthly discount, or do I just get the $25 card.

Alternatively, are there discounts for college students? I can claim that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I spent a couple hours navigating their website and googling before I was able to find a page to try to apply an actual discount instead of a gift card I have no use for.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Brock Landers posted:

Either sim will work fine for that plan. Just activate it online. When the sim you ordered arrives, it should come with a prepaid return label you can use to send it back if you want.
Nope, gariig is correct - the SIM that comes with the iPhone does not have an activation code that you need to sign up for the nerd plan. You'll need to use the one you purchased separately.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cawd Rud posted:

Nope, gariig is correct - the SIM that comes with the iPhone does not have an activation code that you need to sign up for the nerd plan. You'll need to use the one you purchased separately.

Ahh the activation code. Yea, you're going to need that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there a detailed list of markets included in that 700mhz expansion?

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

FAUXTON posted:

Is there a detailed list of markets included in that 700mhz expansion?

Note, deployment won't start until early 2015 because TV broadcasters have to vacate from channel 51 in almost every market Tmobile has spectrum which has not started yet. Expect 18-24 months for the rollout to finish roughly 2017. It will be a while because Tmobile will need to get permits for all the towers because 700mhz requires new antennas and hardware.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Qu Appelle posted:

Anybody else with a corporate discount get a T-Mobile Advantage Program Verification postcard?

I did. but I'm no longer with the corporation that I got the discount with. If I switch to another one that I can legitimately use, will I still get the monthly discount, or do I just get the $25 card.

Alternatively, are there discounts for college students? I can claim that.
You should be able to move to the new employer's group and keep the discount.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Probably a dumb question but still worth asking, the limited high-speed data plans, those are 4G speeds until I hit the cap, right?

Looking at getting the 3GB plan because I really do not ever use more than 2 gigs a month of data and while I'm sure it's 4G data, I just want to be sure before committing myself.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Probably a dumb question but still worth asking, the limited high-speed data plans, those are 4G speeds until I hit the cap, right?

Looking at getting the 3GB plan because I really do not ever use more than 2 gigs a month of data and while I'm sure it's 4G data, I just want to be sure before committing myself.

Yes, it's HSPA(+)/LTE (where available.) Throttled speed is about 100kbps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, you get 4G speeds until you hit the cap. You get 1G free and it's 10 dollars for each 2 gigs after that until you get to 30 dollars where you can just get unlimited.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
It looks like T-Mobile has ended the cellular table at WiFi pricing promotion today. I was going to purchase one this week. I probably will still buy one because of the payment plan just sucks the tablet is now $100 more.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

What nonsense is this? I'm closest to DC, but I don't know which "zone"...
What difference does it make which city I pick?

edit: I'm moving ahead with the assumption it's for assigning a new phone number and picking a close city in MD instead of DC. Doesn't matter as I'm porting a number.
edit2:

quote:

Processing Error
We're sorry—there was an error in processing your request.
:argh:
edit3:
Attempting to get the nerd plan over the phone. Person #1 ported my number, activated my SIM (no plan), and supposedly put a note on my account to get the nerd plan. Now I'm waiting the supposed 2 hours person #2 told me it may take to switch plans so I can pay up.
edit4:
All done!

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 13, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Thanks for answering the previous question?

Now, on International Roaming. I'm on Simple Choice with the Intl. Roaming built in. What speeds is the roaming at?

Also, are there temporary plans that let people from the US call you while you're out of the country? Like, I add $10 or something for the month? I'll be taking a vacation in Canada. I'm also job searching, so if someone wants to call me for an hour long phone screen, I don't want it to be $$$$. (Though, at $0.20 a minute, it may just be cheaper in case someone does call, rather than adding a plan, especially if the calls are short.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 13, 2014

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?
I'm noticing some strange issues with email to text lately. I'm either not getting messages, or they come through as complete formatting nonsense, or just garbage. Sometimes, it still works.

I've tried sending to mynumber@tmomail.net and 1mynumber@tmomail.net, all with terribly inconsistent results. I use this function for oncall pages from work, and 6 weeks ago it worked fine.

I found a few people complaining about it on the T-Mobile support forums, but they never seem to resolve it. I really don't want to switch away from T-Mobile over this, but if I can't get email to sms, I either have to get a second, work provided phone or I have to change carriers.

Suggestions? Anyone else notice this? I checked out their support forums and did some googling, but everyone else seems frustrated by it lately as well.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I've got the 3GB plan although I was grandfathered in from the ten dollars cheaper 2.5GB plan they had before everything rolled over to the Simple Choice program. I've had it for about two years now and this month was the very first time I ever hit my 4G cap.

Qu Appelle posted:

Now, on International Roaming. I'm on Simple Choice with the Intl. Roaming built in. What speeds is the roaming at?

T-Mobile rates it as a 128Kbps maximum connection. So basically, barely any speed at all. It depends mostly on what country you go to. I had the privilege of using/needing my phone in Germany, where all the infrastructure is run by Deutsche Telekom anyway. So I had bearable speeds anywhere that I wasn't connected to wifi, whether that be on the U-Bahn or just out walking the city.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Is there any way to tell how much money T-Mobile will give me if I give them my phone to pay for my ETF? I'm thinking of switching but if my phone won't cover it I might just try selling it online instead.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

mcpringles posted:

Is there any way to tell how much money T-Mobile will give me if I give them my phone to pay for my ETF? I'm thinking of switching but if my phone won't cover it I might just try selling it online instead.

If you trade a phone in it almost always will cover the ETF. You may not get any trade in value above that, though.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on the nerd plan and want to add a tablet. Do I need to do anything special for it or can a postpaid tablet and prepaid phone coexist on the same account? Will ordering online screw anything up?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

chmods please posted:

I'm on the nerd plan and want to add a tablet. Do I need to do anything special for it or can a postpaid tablet and prepaid phone coexist on the same account? Will ordering online screw anything up?

In case anyone else is wondering this, according to their online chat I would need to go postpaid or open a new account for the tablet because prepaid accounts can only have a single line.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

chmods please posted:

In case anyone else is wondering this, according to their online chat I would need to go postpaid or open a new account for the tablet because prepaid accounts can only have a single line.
You can always toggle on the tethering rider in your online account settings. You'd have to rely on your phone as the connection source, but it'd function like a tablet plan.

Not sure whether $15/mo is worth it to you, but it's an option if you aren't hitting near the 5g limit via phone.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

chmods please posted:

Any reason you need to have both lines on one account? You can always get another prepaid sim and put it on its own plan. They have monthly weekly or daily plans. Plus you'd get 200mb of data each month for free.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Last time I checked a couple years ago, tablets were specifically blocked from working on the T-Mo geek plan (I imagine because they can't use minutes so T-Mo can't make extra).

However, tethering worked fine for me with a Nexus 7. I was using Cyanogen on my phone so I didn't even have to pay extra for tethering.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Is T-mobile still force migrating old plans? I've still got the Even More Plus plan and thought I'd get a better deal/plan when I got migrated. If it's not going to happen that's fine. I just want to know either way. I thought about changing my plan but, ugh, I'd have to actually talk to people (I can't seem to change it online).

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Brock Landers posted:

Any reason you need to have both lines on one account? You can always get another prepaid sim and put it on its own plan. They have monthly weekly or daily plans. Plus you'd get 200mb of data each month for free.

It's easier to keep track of on one account. I'll probably make a new one for the tablet though and save my phone battery.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
I bit the bullet and got an iPhone 5s on Tmobile. My signal in my house is only 2 dots, but the functional speed is just fine (I get the same rating on Wifi as LTE, almost maxing out my 15/5 modem), so I don't mind that at all.

This may be more apropos for the iPhone thread, but should I activate "Data Roaming" in my settings? Since TMO doesn't seem to mind roaming, and one of the reasons I eventually chose TMO was for very limited international travel use, I just wnat to make sure that I'm reading the settings right. The default on the phone is (logically) off.

I appreciate input for what is surely a basic question.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like T-Mobile launched VoLTE here in the Seattle area today. I'm pretty sure that makes them the first US carrier to have working deployment.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2158640/tmobile-goes-circuitless-in-seattle-with-voice-over-lte-hd-voice.html

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like T-Mobile launched VoLTE here in the Seattle area today. I'm pretty sure that makes them the first US carrier to have working deployment.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2158640/tmobile-goes-circuitless-in-seattle-with-voice-over-lte-hd-voice.html

I think I read that MetroPCS launched it in 2012.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

mcpringles posted:

They have an estimator here:

http://www.t-mobile.com/DeviceRecovery/cell-phone-trade-in.aspx

For what it's worth, that site says $10 for my old smartphone, but they said it was worth $0 at the store. I traded in an ancient flip phone instead, and sold my smartphone online for $60.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 24, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

OK. So my old corporate discount went away because I couldn't confirm that I was at Company A anymore. I, less than a month later or so, started a new job ( :hellyeah: ) at Company B, which also provides T-Mobile Corporate Discounts. Which I enrolled in.

Now, am I going to get my percentage off the bill again, or is my 'discount' only an equipment upgrade credit, which I'm never going to use?

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?

Kreeblah posted:

Except it's supported on like 0 phones. Anyone know if this'll work on the nexus 5 somehow? I live around Seattle and would love to try this out. There's gotta be some sketchy hack on xda that'll make it go.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.
Am I the only one who's going to be incredibly sad if the FCC actually lets the Sprint/T-Mobile merger go through? I had Sprint, god I hated them.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Astiesan posted:

Am I the only one who's going to be incredibly sad if the FCC actually lets the Sprint/T-Mobile merger go through? I had Sprint, god I hated them.

The one saving grace is that it may be Softbank buying Tmob so that Tmob execs can run both Tmob and Sprint and have a subscriber base to compete.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Whatever happens with the acquisition, I couldn't believe that the plan would be to turn off the GSM towers or anything like that. So long as T-Mobile's network stays on, I'll be happy.

Probably phone chipsets will get updated to work on both GSM and CDMA towers in the interim period before it all gets combined.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

Roseo posted:

The one saving grace is that it may be Softbank buying Tmob so that Tmob execs can run both Tmob and Sprint and have a subscriber base to compete.

Sprint hate aside, Dan Hesse is a terrible CEO and I really do not know how he has his job still. Perhaps a Sprint/T-Mo merger could work if they kept Legere at the head of it, but I read a rather interesting article today that suggested Legere was literally installed to get the company sellable, i.e. get just enough growth to look long-term attractive and generate a lot of publicity. He stands to make 41 million himself if the current merger goes through.

My biggest fear is that if Sprint/T-Mo merge there will be no more unlimited data and then I will cry tears of sorrow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doesn't Sprint also have unlimited data?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
They both have like way underutilized data pipes compared to AT&T/Verizon I thought.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Zero VGS posted:

They both have like way underutilized data pipes compared to AT&T/Verizon I thought.

Sprint went hog wild at the MVNO buffet, so even many of its "Network Vision" upgraded towers are still overloaded with traffic. They ARE pretty well positioned with spectrum though.

As a longtime (long suffering) Sprint subscriber, I can't imagine this deal being good for consumers unless they loving fire all the C-level bean counters at Overland Park and let the TMob brass take the reins.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Would be cool if TMobile just takes over their towers. I've enjoyed TMobile so far. My only complaint is the lack of 4G coverage in areas I never go to.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
As much as I loathe the idea of Sprint taking over Tmobile, it would give me a solid excuse to switch to a carrier with better coverage and that I might be able to receive or send a call inside a building without relying on wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Astiesan posted:

If it happens I'll be jumping to cricket until I see how it plays out.