Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

Super Mario 3D World is the fifteenth game in the mainline Super Mario series
released for the Nintendo Wii U, and is the follow-up to the 3DS game Super Mario 3D Land

It was developed by Nintendo's in-house development team, EAD Tokyo, and released in
November of last year. It is the first game since the western version of Super
Mario Bros.2 to feature Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Princess Peach as playable
characters, the first game ever to let players take control of those characters
simulataneously for co-operative play, and is only the second ever Super Mario game
to feature high-definition graphics

Despite the fact that this game was released on what has become the "running joke"
of the new console generation, Super Mario 3D World has a lot of great things
going for it. There's a huge amount of variety in the level design, there are a
total of 7 different power ups, each changing the way you play, the game looks and
sounds fantastic with the soundtrack being comprised of classic Koji Kondo tunes and
a whole host of original songs composed by Mahito Yokota who was also
responsible for the Mario Galaxy & Skyward Sword scores. The whole soundtrack was
also recorded by Nintendo's Big Band Orchestra.

I didn't believe for a long time that any Mario game following Galaxy 2 would be
anywhere near as good but 3D World easily took that spot long before I was even
close to finishing the game and the ending just sort of cemented itself as one of
my favourite games ever. I'm gushing at this point but the level of polish,
refinement, and detail on this game is incredible.

But all these words arranged into sentences don't mean anything if you don't have
the evidence to back up your points so; stopping my eight page thesis on why I
should be legally allowed to adopt this game

Let's Play Super Mario 3D World!

Videos!
Super Mario 3D World Part 1: World 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 2: World 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 3: World 3 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 4: World 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 5: World 5 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 6: World 6 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 7: World 7 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 8: World 8 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 9: World Star - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 10: World Mushroom - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 11: World Fire Flower - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 12: World Crown - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Super Mario 3D World Part 13: The End - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Bonus Videos!
The Cat Mario Show - [YouTube][Polsy]

This thread is responsible for the sale of:
(42) Wii U Consoles
(37) Copies of Super Mario 3D World
(43) Other Wii U Games (Mario Kart 8 x25|DK Tropical Freeze x2|MH3 Ultimate x1|The Wonderful 101 x4|Wind Waker HD x5|Pikmin 3 x3|NSMBU x2|NSLU x1|Lego City Undercover x1)

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, uh, what's with the line breaks?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeeees, this game is amazing. Glad to see it LP'd.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Not gonna lie, I'm not much of a Mario fan to be honest. I don't particularly see what the big deal about 64 is, I don't think World is that amazing, Kart does nothing for me at all...

...I still couldn't bring myself to not just get swept along with your sheer enthusiasm for this game, and find myself agreeing in so many ways. This game just looks that amazing, jesus. All the little details push it over the edge.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Never complain about fighting Bowser or they'll give us Bowser Jr. again. Otherwise great video and a whole lot of enthusiasm!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Seconding that your unabashed joy kinda makes the video.

Also, if that multiplayer is simultaneous and you two live anywhere near each other, I hope at least some levels will be done with both.(Or is multiplayer in this game not the glorious chaos of New Super Mario Bros?)

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
So excited that it's this game. Mario 3D World is purrfect! I love this game! I think the only other game you could do that is cuter is Kurby's Epic Yarn. Im excited to see more.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hm, Banjo and Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is looking a bit more HD than i remember eh guys? :smug:

No seroiusly, this game is totally great i need to remember to actually get my brother together and actually finish it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

But what was that door/opening in the back of the world map, left of the castle? I MUST KNOW.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
This is honestly in my opinion the best mario game since SMW. It really is a shining example of Nintendo's ingenuity when people aren't flipping poo poo over everything else they do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I.... I kinda want a Wii U now... :saddowns:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I.... I kinda want a Wii U now... :saddowns:

Yeah, this game looks fun as hell.

Of course, the commentators' unbound enthusiasm greatly helps in selling it, too.

Kneefoil
May 10, 2014
I was never really excited for this game because from the trailers it just seemed like Super Mario 3D Land, except in HD, but I got myself a copy 1-2 months ago because I just felt like playing a new 3D platformer. And oh man, did this game ever manage to surprise me. The level designs are way better, and it also controls way better than 3D Land ever did. I definitely wasn't expecting to have as much fun as I did with Galaxy games, but in the end, that's what ended up happening. Just a shame it doesn't have online multiplayer. :\

Looking forward to seeing more of the elpee, even though I've just experienced the game myself.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

The overall cheerfulness of this game, combined with the commentators being so enthused about it, is really enjoyable. keep it up you guys, I'll be watching the magic happen.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Dead serious, this is the only "next-gen" game currently out worth owning.

Well, okay, this and Wonderful 101. And Lego City Undercover. And Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

ALL OF WHICH ARE WII U GAMES ODDLY ENOUGH, HMMMM.

Nthing that your enthusiasm makes the video and I'm looking forward to more because everything related to this game is just so happy and bright and wonderful.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

Wild Knight posted:

Dead serious, this is the only "next-gen" game currently out worth owning.

Well, okay, this and Wonderful 101. And Lego City Undercover. And Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

ALL OF WHICH ARE WII U GAMES ODDLY ENOUGH, HMMMM.

Nthing that your enthusiasm makes the video and I'm looking forward to more because everything related to this game is just so happy and bright and wonderful.

I think Pikmin 3 belongs in this list as well. Also i hear child of Light is good too.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Count me in for digging you guys' enthusiasm, my brother and I were the same way on the day after Christmas when I went out and bought it. Did not know about the roll trick, though, so that will be helpful for my cleanup of the game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I am so glad there's a 3D World LP now, and after your Banjo LPs, I'm so glad it's you guys doing it :h:

For anyone who doesn't have a Wii U, and who has ever enjoyed a platformer game in their life, go buy a Wii U now as well as copies of this, DK Tropical Freeze, and Rayman Legends. We are living in a platformer renaissance.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

I am so glad there's a 3D World LP now, and after your Banjo LPs, I'm so glad it's you guys doing it :h:

For anyone who doesn't have a Wii U, and who has ever enjoyed a platformer game in their life, go buy a Wii U now as well as copies of this, DK Tropical Freeze, and Rayman Legends. We are living in a platformer renaissance.

There still isn't anything with the open-world feel of the Banjo games, though. The last one I can think of was Psychonauts.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Suspicious Dish posted:

There still isn't anything with the open-world feel of the Banjo games, though. The last one I can think of was Psychonauts.

I would almost argue that Skyward Sword is a modern-day open-world platformer, what with the huge emphasis on a) collectables and b) stamina-based movement. Almost.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
You guys are so happy at this game that its infectious. This is going to be fun.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hedrigall posted:

I would almost argue that Skyward Sword is a modern-day open-world platformer, what with the huge emphasis on a) collectables and b) stamina-based movement. Almost.

I never really thought of it that way, but it does kind of work, honestly.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What collectibles?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

cute LP!

One thing though, frankly i hate toad. i hate that smug little fuckin prick with his stupid fuckin jacket and dumb big fuckin head

kill toad

death to the toad

murder toad and eat it

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

What collectibles?
Heart Pieces... Star Bits... God Cubes...

The upgrade system loot could potentially be seen as a collectible.

Anyways, so much cute little details in this game. Take Plessie for example, instead of just getting straight booted off at the end, they put in some adorable skidding animations as it lands at the end, and it then waves at you as you leave the area.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
One of like half a dozen games that make me want a Wii U even though I know that'd be a stupid investment. Luckily I can now enjoy it vicariously and not have to spend money! Thanks, guys.

With all the Mario 2 US callbacks in this game I'm disappointed that the final boss is still Bowser and not Wart.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That soccer ball was clearly a cannonball.

Is the timer still a non-issue in the series? Much as I like Mario games that should not last forever, having 500 seconds or so is embarrassingly long. I love the sped up music.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Suspicious Dish posted:

What collectibles?

Link collects bugs then mixes them into his drinks to gain magical powers, helps me identify with the character a whole lot

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Akratic Method posted:

(Or is multiplayer in this game not the glorious chaos of New Super Mario Bros?)

It's even more tuned towards screwing the other players, if anything.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
This game is fun as hell. Seriously, get it if you haven't already. I also think it would've been good to mention some of the things you can do with the touchscreen, such as that you don't have to run on the switches in the switch level, because you can use the touchscreen to turn them on/off.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Meis posted:

cute LP!

One thing though, frankly i hate toad. i hate that smug little fuckin prick with his stupid fuckin jacket and dumb big fuckin head

kill toad

death to the toad

murder toad and eat it

I actually really like toad. I only like Luigi more actually, toad is a little cutie. It would only be better if they let you play as a koopa/parakoopa. I love those lil turtle fuckers.

gently caress Toadette though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Is Plessie as twitchy and hard to control as the Galaxy Manta Ray? I have to say that was one of the more frustrating parts of that game, since you had to control it by tilting the Wiimote and the slightest mistake sent you careening off the course.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

Konstantin posted:

Is Plessie as twitchy and hard to control as the Galaxy Manta Ray? I have to say that was one of the more frustrating parts of that game, since you had to control it by tilting the Wiimote and the slightest mistake sent you careening off the course.

Plessie is much easier to control than the manta ray in Galaxy.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Konstantin posted:

Plessie is controlled with the joystick, and feels like its "gliding" almost. Very easy to control.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Hey, you may say that the Wii U is the "running joke" but games like this, wonderful 101, and the fact that there are barely any good PS4 or xbox one exclusives says otherwise.

This is probably the first game I'm gonna get for the Wii U, I saw chip stream a bit of it and i loved it.

Looking forward to this.

Edit: I cant help but imagine that while Bowser is throwing bombs at you Waluigi is the one actually driving.

what I'm saying is we need more Waluigi.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 23, 2014

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Zoig posted:

Hey, you may say that the Wii U is the "running joke" but games like this, wonderful 101, and the fact that there are barely any good PS4 or xbox one exclusives says otherwise.

This is probably the first game I'm gonna get for the Wii U, I saw chip stream a bit of it and i loved it.

Looking forward to this.

Edit: I cant help but imagine that while Bowser is throwing bombs at you Waluigi is the one actually driving.

what I'm saying is we need more Waluigi.

OKAY. Look, true fact right here. I seriously think waluigi is the best mario character. That lanky mofo is so great.

Im glad someone else actually likes the bastard.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
With such a heated controversy, Nintendo would have to take massive risks to adopt Waluigi back into the main franchise.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yeah this game rules. Takes the "2D-feeling level progression on a 3D plane" design of 3D Land, expands upon it, and puts it on a bigger screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Konstantin posted:

Much easier to control in single-player, much harder to control in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well I'll be damned, it's about fuckin time we got a Mario game like this. Now I know this game exists I need to go buy it so I can stop feeling ashamed of my Wii-U.

• Locked thread