Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't like Cat because her dying act was to murder an innocent woman. Sorry if that's "goony".

Hey, she made a vow. She had to fulfill it. Unlike the men in her life, she takes her vows seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

FRINGE posted:

Great worlds come back around again and again

Unless you obliterate them at the end :zaeed:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

rypakal posted:

Hey, she made a vow. She had to fulfill it. Unlike the men in her life, she takes her vows seriously.

Ned took his vows seriously :colbert:

...Well maybe except the marriage one that one time.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Great Enoch posted:

I know it's an old conversation from four years ago but the action direction for the swordplay has definitely got a lot better in the last two seasons. Jaime's sparring sessions with Bronn were great. Looking forward to the trial by combat.
The most interesting fights happened in the first season IMO. Bronn championing Tyrion, or Jorah championing Dany, or Mountain vs. Hound. They all had an idea, which is why they were interesting to watch.
Jaime vs. Bronn wasn't a fight, but a dangerous fighter beating up a handicapped guy. Good scene, but not a fight.
I especially dislike the recent fights in Essos last season, with our band of heroes murdering mooks while quipping manlyly. Asha vs. Ramsay, or Jon at Craster's Keep were boring too. They felt a lot more like action for the sake of action to me.

Also, the Mountain murdering starved prisoners was one of the worst scenes of the series.

However, the preview for 8 looks exciting in this regard. (Previews aren't spoilers, right?)

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Cingulate posted:

The most interesting fights happened in the first season IMO. Bronn championing Tyrion, or Jorah championing Dany, or Mountain vs. Hound. They all had an idea, which is why they were interesting to watch.
Jaime vs. Bronn wasn't a fight, but a dangerous fighter beating up a handicapped guy. Good scene, but not a fight.
I especially dislike the recent fights in Essos last season, with our band of heroes murdering mooks while quipping manlyly. Asha vs. Ramsay, or Jon at Craster's Keep were boring too. They felt a lot more like action for the sake of action to me.

Also, the Mountain murdering starved prisoners was one of the worst scenes of the series.

However, the preview for 8 looks exciting in this regard. (Previews aren't spoilers, right?)

I wasn't complaining about the choreography so much (although I didn't like it either - they seemed to follow this conflicting logic of trying to emphasise the weight and inertia of steel while making them act like lightsabers when it suited them or when they actually stopped dueling and contacted flesh) as the direction, shooting and the actor's performances. You could clearly see that they're swinging their way through a planned choreography that was supposed to imply messiness and improvisation. They got that down a lot tighter now, especially with shooting and editing for pace. It's not really a criticism as it's an incredibly hard thing to accomplish, especially with weapons that people don't actually know that much about anymore.

The mountain shot this ep. was pretty loving terrible though. You wonder why some directors and DPs on TV have such bad ideas.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
I got inspired by the thought of Arya, Hound, Brienne and Pod meeting up on the road to The Eryie

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Great Enoch posted:

I wasn't complaining about the choreography so much (although I didn't like it either - they seemed to follow this conflicting logic of trying to emphasise the weight and inertia of steel while making them act like lightsabers when it suited them or when they actually stopped dueling and contacted flesh) as the direction, shooting and the actor's performances. You could clearly see that they're swinging their way through a planned choreography that was supposed to imply messiness and improvisation. They got that down a lot tighter now, especially with shooting and editing for pace. It's not really a criticism as it's an incredibly hard thing to accomplish, especially with weapons that people don't actually know that much about anymore.
Oh okay, I wasn't so much about choreography and direction.
I'm rather ... Jorah vs. Dothraki dude makes a bunch of important points in story form. Bronn's fight did an enormous amount of characterisation for so many characters. Also, in either case, you feel a real person is gonna end up dead.
Jorah, Grey Worm and Daaario killing a bunch of mooks, not so much. Jon at Craster's, not so much. The point was "hero dudes killing mooks because that's inherently exciting right?".

Great Enoch posted:

The mountain shot this ep. was pretty loving terrible though. You wonder why some directors and DPs on TV have such bad ideas.
In this case, I wonder why the people who usually avoid at least some of the typical pitfalls of storytelling walked right into one here. It felt so out of place. As if The Dark Knight Returns had featured Batman & Robin Bane. Only not funny.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 21, 2014

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Great Enoch posted:

Pretty much all of the swordfighting has been bad, but at the very least the action has been exciting. Syrio Forel was legitimately doing a good job with selling the whole Braavosi waterdancing. I think my swordfighting friend mentioned it was like Italian Rapier fencing? I don't know, but he's the only one who moves fast enough. All the other actors look like actors wearing props way heavier than they're used to. If you imagine the Brienne/Loras fight had been going on for about 20 minutes before Catelyn walked in, it actually looks really good, comparatively.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The 2/3rds of Perdido Street Station that I managed to get through were atrocious.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

:negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Pretty much all of the swordfighting has been bad, but at the very least the action has been exciting. Syrio Forel was legitimately doing a good job with selling the whole Braavosi waterdancing. I think my swordfighting friend mentioned it was like Italian Rapier fencing? I don't know, but he's the only one who moves fast enough. All the other actors look like actors wearing props way heavier than they're used to. If you imagine the Brienne/Loras fight had been going on for about 20 minutes before Catelyn walked in, it actually looks really good, comparatively.

It's basically a consequence of having to slow down everything so that spectators can still make sense of it. If they went at it at a realistic pace it'd generally be over in a few seconds and you'd have a hard time following what happened until one of them falls over bleeding. Plus of course there'd be the increased risk of injury for the actors. Acting like everything has a huge weight is just a somewhat more immersive way of selling the slow movements.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Whats funny about this is all the fights in your good list are straight from the books, and all the fights from your bad list were made up for the show (some due to plot changes, some due to there just not being a POV character to see them).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xenoborg posted:

Whats funny about this is all the fights in your good list are straight from the books, and all the fights from your bad list were made up for the show (some due to plot changes, some due to there just not being a POV character to see them).
Not intentional, I swear.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cingulate posted:

You left out the best fight, also from S1 -- Jaime vs. Ned

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

You left out the best fight, also from S1 -- Jaime vs. Ned

Also the second best fight -- Brienne vs Jaime , it was a big moment for Jaime because it set forth in motion the decline into being powerless in his situation.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

FRINGE posted:

All you word-haters never want to read any of the other long modern fantasy sagas. Janny Wurts will make you cry.

(Shes great.)

So she writes for books like I write on IRC, on SA, or during an RTS/FPS/MOBA game. I think I have found my prosemate!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Still waiting to see a first Barristan Selmy fight. A man with a career and reputation like his should not die of old age...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenoborg posted:

No, that's not funny, or interesting. Why do people keep making "the things people like about this show are ripped straight from the books :smugdog: posts.

Because I'm pretty sure the books don't star Peter Dinklage.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

precision posted:

No, that's not funny, or interesting. Why do people keep making "the things people like about this show are ripped straight from the books :smugdog: posts.

Because you keep going on about how lovely writer GRRM is you idiot.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

No, that's not funny, or interesting.

But enough about the OP

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lots of sword-namers in this thread.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Perestroika posted:

If they went at it at a realistic pace it'd generally be over in a few seconds and you'd have a hard time following what happened until one of them falls over bleeding.

You know what causes me to have a hard time following what happens? Cutting the damned camera every 1.5 seconds.
I'd love to see more fight scenes in more shows/movies holding shots for longer. I know it's done because you need to swap stunt doubles in and out all the time*, but goddamn, I wish more actors could make less use of stunt doubles. It'll never happen, of course, but I can dream.

*and because a fake swing looks nothing like a real swing if you see it from the wrong angle

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

precision posted:

It is because they dont understand that being critical of somebody's prose while still admiring their knack for story telling/scene construction/dialogue is possible. Basically they dont know the definition of prose.

...Then again they like grrm's writing so their grasp on quality prose is tenuous at best :smug:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 21, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wish I had an English degree I could use to win petty dick waving contests on the internet.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Irish Joe posted:

I wish I had an English degree I could use to win petty dick waving contests on the internet.

You don't need one! You can just wave your own petty dick around.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Stonefish posted:

You know what causes me to have a hard time following what happens? Cutting the damned camera every 1.5 seconds.
I'd love to see more fight scenes in more shows/movies holding shots for longer. I know it's done because you need to swap stunt doubles in and out all the time*, but goddamn, I wish more actors could make less use of stunt doubles. It'll never happen, of course, but I can dream.

*and because a fake swing looks nothing like a real swing if you see it from the wrong angle
In a show like this it'd be pretty easy to use stunt doubles for fights if you wanted to just by having people wear helmets, most of the named people have unique armour that stands out so if you showed it off more it'd be fine.

But it's TV and you have to show faces it seems, the latest 300 movie was hilarious for that. There was a named Greek dude that charged into some redshirts and just before jumping in to fight then he ripped his helmet off.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Irish Joe posted:

Oh you don't need a degree to win arguments on the internet; just keep posting and posting until the thread gets gassed.

How's that for some prose?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tirranek posted:

One conceit doesn't mean anything goes. That said, if you look at somewhere like Machu Pichu it isn't toooo much of a stretch.

Yes it does. Magic is the answer you're looking for

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

old dog child posted:

Yes it does. Magic is the answer you're looking for

You are confusing fantasy with surrealism.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

No, it's true specifically for this series. If you look harder than "magic" then you're making poo poo up

e: sry spoilers

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

old dog child posted:

No, it's true specifically for this series. If you look harder than "magic" then you're making poo poo up

e: sry spoilers

Fiction doesn't have to make sense because it's all made up, okay.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BioMe posted:

Fiction doesn't have to make sense because it's all made up, okay.
Fiction only has to be internally consistent
:cue more jokes about the mountain:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

e: had my coffee don't care anymore

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 21, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Rejected Fate posted:

Ned took his vows seriously :colbert:

...Well maybe except the marriage one that one time.

Nah, he kept that one

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

thathonkey posted:

It is because they dont understand that being critical of somebody's prose while still admiring their knack for story telling/scene construction/dialogue is possible. Basically they dont know the definition of prose.

...Then again they like grrm's writing so their grasp on quality prose is tenuous at best :smug:

Alright, I'm a plebeian book reader, so explain to what you mean by prose. This complaint keeps getting posted like a hot buzzword but I still have no idea what you mean by it. I know what prose is, what's bad about GRRMs? Is there an example, anything particular?

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Raserys posted:

Alright, I'm a plebeian book reader, so explain to what you mean by prose. This complaint keeps getting posted like a hot buzzword but I still have no idea what you mean by it. I know what prose is, what's bad about GRRMs? Is there an example, anything particular?

They are bitching about sentence structure, vocabulary, and other things that are only important to those insecure about their intellectual prowess.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Raserys posted:

quote:

You read the books? Hah! So did I! Yeah, and they were the worst!
:goonsay:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Oh you don't need a degree to win arguments on the internet; just keep posting and posting until the thread gets gassed.

How's that for some prose?

Gas thread ban 80,000 word OP's. With Lyssa dead does that mean Peter is Lord of the Vale? Or is that little titty-sucker Robin lord? If so I would imagine he'll be the next one out the Moon Door..

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

They are bitching about sentence structure, vocabulary, and other things that are only important to those insecure about their intellectual prowess.

Yep. Pretty much this. It is a pretentious thing to gripe about for sure but people who are into literature probably wont be able to ignore it.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

But then you'll never get a job!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If we're now seriously saying that quality of prose doesn't matter in fiction then please close the thread forever because what the actual gently caress.

• Locked thread