Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'd say that Cleveland needs a centre more than they need an SF but also they also kinda need one of those too so whatever.

Basically because it's Cleveland I fully expect whoever they pass on to do better and have people going THEY SHOULDA DRAFTED HIM when it's kind of a toss up. It's like a Schrödinger's cat of draft picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
The Spurs interviewed Elfrid Payton (please god let this happen), Kyle Anderson, Shabazz Napier, and Gary Harris.

That's a lot of guard action.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

MourningView posted:

His agent isn't letting anyone do a medical examination on him so no one has any clue.

Is that normal to do or should it be seen as a red flag?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MourningView posted:

His agent isn't letting anyone do a medical examination on him so no one has any clue.

If I had the number 1 pick and this was going on, there is no way I'd draft him.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Is that normal to do or should it be seen as a red flag?

Sounds like an enormous red flag to me.

Spacebump posted:

If I had the number 1 pick and this was going on, there is no way I'd draft him.

This.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Doltos posted:

What role would Payne settle into? He looked like a pretty decent ranged shooter whenever I watched him. What's his ceiling, Channing Frye?

He's more versatile than Frye. If we're going with a realistic projection, I'd say Ersan Ilyasova. As far as his ceiling goes, I think if he maximizes his potential, he could be an Al Horford type player.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bashez posted:

The Spurs interviewed Elfrid Payton (please god let this happen), Kyle Anderson, Shabazz Napier, and Gary Harris.

That's a lot of guard action.

Yes yes no yes

MourningView posted:

And slowly a dark cloud looms over Cleveland haha jk that's just what the sky looks like there

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
HEH Sounds like a pick for THE BLAZERS!!!!

*puts on beats headphones and walks out*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJvJye9c_M

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

By the way as an armchair draftist or whatever the gently caress you want to call me there is almost zero chance I would take a player who would not submit to a medical examination at their projected draft spot. Right to privacy yeah yeah etc. but finding out you have a bad back is not something that I want to do after I've drafted you. I don't know if Embiid's stock will take a serious hit but I'd probably move Parker solidly ahead of him until he's medically cleared.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

By the way as an armchair draftist or whatever the gently caress you want to call me there is almost zero chance I would take a player who would not submit to a medical examination at their projected draft spot. Right to privacy yeah yeah etc. but finding out you have a bad back is not something that I want to do after I've drafted you. I don't know if Embiid's stock will take a serious hit but I'd probably move Parker solidly ahead of him until he's medically cleared.

Maybe he'd do it for teams in the Top 3, but I know he wouldn't go the combine for that reason.

The latest DX Mock has Utah taking Marcus Smart, Kyle Anderson, and Isiah Austin, which really feels like an attempt to troll me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

In my experience goons are typically really happy if their team drafts an elite (or perceived elite) shooter so I'm sure that even though Harris is the better prospect a lot of posters here would rather have Stauskas

Thanks. From what I've read, Harris seems like the better/safer pick, and he probably wouldn't be asked to do much right away other than catch and shoot for the Hornets. Part of me wants them to try and shoot the moon with Zach LaVine, since they top out at as like a fifth seed right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm still really into the Lakers drafting Aaron Gordon, largely admittedly for personal reasons, although I'm also fascinated by Vonleh and think he might really help Pau out in an imaginary world where Pau re-signs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^ Aaron Gordon vs. Blake Griffin in Staples Center is too perfect for words.

Spacebump posted:

The injury isn't a problem. It's a common injury and one I've had personally. His knee is nothing, it was a hyper-extension that just looked bad. The legit worry is that his back becomes a chronic injury but that's just as big a guess as anything. He's never hurt his back before so anyone saying it is chronic now doesn't understand the word. For what it's worth my back injury stopped recurring the second I started wearing a back brace and I bet he will start too, for prevention's sake. Of course I'm 5'11 so I don't think my story is much use determining what will happen with a 7 footer so I'll stop talking about it now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The human body is just not designed to be that tall. It's not a matter of if but when 7 footers end up breaking down.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kiimo is, shockingly, optimistic about the chances of a University of Kansas player.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And you are, shockingly, pessimistic about them. I'm just trying to be clear here in that nobody knows. I keep seeing Greg Oden comparisons and those are just silly.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Declan MacManus posted:

The human body is just not designed to be that tall. It's not a matter of if but when 7 footers end up breaking down.

RIP Yao

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

morestuff posted:

Thanks. From what I've read, Harris seems like the better/safer pick, and he probably wouldn't be asked to do much right away other than catch and shoot for the Hornets. Part of me wants them to try and shoot the moon with Zach LaVine, since they top out at as like a fifth seed right now.

Draft the Weed Guy, Draft PJ Hairston

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

And you are, shockingly, pessimistic about them. I'm just trying to be clear here in that nobody knows. I keep seeing Greg Oden comparisons and those are just silly.

I am teasing you, dork. I have probably written more complementary things about Emiid in the draft thread than anyone else and have called Wiggins the best player all year.

Greg Oden also did not have "chronic" injury problems at the time he was drafted though.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MourningView posted:

I am teasing you, dork. I have probably written more complementary things about Emiid in the draft thread than anyone else and have called Wiggins the best player all year.

ENEMY OF KANSAS ATHLETICS

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought there were reports already coming out about his glass bones and asymmetrical legs but I didn't pay enough attention at the time admittedly.

edit: I'm a big Embiid/KU fanboy but I would happily admit that not allowing a medical evaluation before the draft would be a huge red flag. I'd like to think that will change at some point before the draft. Maybe he's just not ready yet. Or maybe it's a legit problem.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Time posted:

ENEMY OF KANSAS ATHLETICS

-Wheatbees
-Mizzou
-Bill Self
-That piece of turf in Todd Reesing's helmet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I thought there were reports already coming out about his glass bones and asymmetrical legs but I didn't pay enough attention at the time admittedly.

Bill Simmons said that he walked funny. He was hurt in college, but it was a wrist injury that has nothing to do with the knee issues he's had since.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Declan MacManus posted:

-Wheatbees
-Mizzou
-Bill Self
-That piece of turf in Todd Reesing's helmet

Georgia Techs rushing attack

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Row posted:

Yeah Wiggins falling to 3 would be a nightmare eh?

Bucks will take Wiggins if he is there.

I read that as ESPN giving him hope that Wiggins will be there at 3, which most people can't imagine happening.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Cleveland is going to gently caress up again so the Bucks basically have the true #1 pick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kiimo posted:

^^^ Aaron Gordon vs. Blake Griffin in Staples Center is too perfect for words.

The injury isn't a problem. It's a common injury and one I've had personally. His knee is nothing, it was a hyper-extension that just looked bad. The legit worry is that his back becomes a chronic injury but that's just as big a guess as anything. He's never hurt his back before so anyone saying it is chronic now doesn't understand the word. For what it's worth my back injury stopped recurring the second I started wearing a back brace and I bet he will start too, for prevention's sake. Of course I'm 5'11 so I don't think my story is much use determining what will happen with a 7 footer so I'll stop talking about it now.

I don't totally see the Gordon/Griffin comparisons that everyone else does. And after a year of watching him, if I'm really really honest the player he reminds me most of is Ron Artest who isn't clumsy or young Shane Battier who can dribble and (kind of) post.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Blake is far and away a better player but Gordon can soar too. He's a highlight reel on a losing night waiting to happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would like to see this Aaron Gordon who doesn't look clumsy and can dribble.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I would like to see this Aaron Gordon who doesn't look clumsy and can dribble.

I thought in the games where Arizona put him in charge of pushing the break he handled the ball really well.

And c'mon, Ron Artest looks like a broken model car that's violently vibrating, about to explode sending gears and wheels everywhere every time he dribble drives, Aarong Gordon doesn't ever look like that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I thought in the games where Arizona put him in charge of pushing the break he handled the ball really well.

And c'mon, Ron Artest looks like a broken model car that's violently vibrating, about to explode sending gears and wheels everywhere every time he dribble drives, Aarong Gordon doesn't ever look like that.

I mean he can probably run in a straight line and dribble, but that's true of most guys. He can't handle it in traffic or create for himself off the bounce.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also he can't shoot for poo poo so the Shane battier comp seems off

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
For real, it's hard not to be excited about Cleveland sports right now. :whatup:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MonsterWalk posted:

For real, it's hard not to be excited about Cleveland sports right now. :whatup:

The Browns are possibly without their best player for the entire season, the Cavs are going to gently caress up because they are the Cavs, and man have you even seen the loving Indians?

If y'all keep getting your hopes up like a bunch of dummies it becomes hard to feel bad for you. Stop trying to kick that loving football, Charlie Brown.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The Cavs are definitely going to draft a guy coming off of a mysterious leg injury.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

The Browns are possibly without their best player for the entire season, the Cavs are going to gently caress up because they are the Cavs, and man have you even seen the loving Indians?

If y'all keep getting your hopes up like a bunch of dummies it becomes hard to feel bad for you. Stop trying to kick that loving football, Charlie Brown.

We're all going to die someday, almost certainly from something painful that greatly reduces our quality of life, to the point where basic tasks like walking become a chore at best. Stop being happy ever.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Pretty sure the "not submitting medical records" issue is being misrepresented. They didn't submit med records to the combine and the story has grown and spread with people leaving out the last few words: "to the combine". They'll definitely submit to at least a basic med exam, at least for Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Philly. None of the top 3 would risk drafting a 7 footer with a history of back injuries without that exam, especially when guys like Exum/Vonleh/Smart/Randle are available.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Y'all say 'red flag' I say 'gently caress, not the Cavs'

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Cavs got bluffed into drafting Dion Waiters by a lottery promise his agent completely made up, don't even act like they can't be tricked into drafting a crippled center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

We're all going to die someday, almost certainly from something painful that greatly reduces our quality of life, to the point where basic tasks like walking become a chore at best.
Well, Johnny Football will, cetainly

• Locked thread