Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

say no to bats posted:

They also tend to look like this:

Some of the forums biggest SJW heroes have turned out to be depraved freaks who immediately vanished forever after being discovered. Its why people have a hard time tolerating their bullshit because Tumblr and homegrown examples here have often proven themselves to be gigantic hypocrites who are not actually concerned about issues of import but just narcissistic trolls.

Take disgraced former mod/poster Eggplant Wizard. She spent years crusading for SJW causes in a very vocal, public and shrill fashion, then it turns out she was a prolific self-published author of dozens and dozens of hardcore, explicit and disgusting rape, incest and rapecest erotica that directly contradicted that phony public persona she put on. She's far from the only loud and obvious SJW here or on Tumblr who has turned out to be a nutcase in reality. :shrug:

Yo that guys cool cause he likes the Pack. Sorry dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Yo that guys cool cause he likes the Pack. Sorry dude

Yeah, idgi that guy looks like just about everyone in this state. God knows that's what I look like.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tartarus Sauce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqevO_zrxsA
I remember coming across a blog post somewhere not too long ago where the author basically went on and on about having accidentally mis-gendered someone, and how that proved he "still had work to do" on himself. It was one of the milder and less melodramatic and/or self-blamey posts I've read of this type, and it still reminded me too much of the penitentes who whip and cut themselves in the public square as an act of penance.

Then, in "SJW-esque" circles, I've seen folks in those groups basically demand nothing less than the most groveling, self-abasing apologies for offenses against the group from "offenders," and it can get pretty creepy at times.
That video is hilarious because I think it gets into how social competition between progressive-minded types who live in cities is a big driver of this. And you can see how it developed as academics started using increasingly obscure jargon to compete with other academics. So it's made the jump into the mainstream.

And it could be a reflection of our consumer choice society (bear with me here). You only drink fair trade coffee and eat from fad diets and so forth. If you're crammed into a city and competing with all these other people, then you can get a leg up by being more socially responsible and what-not. I also wonder if some of the triggering stuff is a reflection of consumer choice as well. We're now very used to the idea that we don't have to read, watch or see anything unless we've specifically chosen to read, watch or see that particular thing. So when something intrusive filters through, it provokes anxiety. That might be a bit of a stretch, though.

Speaking of stretching, take the skinny white girl in the yoga class who started freaking out when a fat black woman joined up, because it gave her some kind of white guilt identity crisis. It might actually be a troll because it's so ridiculous:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it

quote:

I was completely unable to focus on my practice, instead feeling hyper-aware of my high-waisted bike shorts, my tastefully tacky sports bra, my well-versedness in these poses that I have been in hundreds of times. My skinny white girl body. Surely this woman was noticing all of these things and judging me for them, stereotyping me, resenting me—or so I imagined.
This is a great example of social justice ideas going off the rails, and of course this article turned into a big viral joke and she was made fun of because of it. But you see the problem here. No one in this situation even got into any beef with anybody. She was just going about her day and encountering people who had a different body shape and color and she just. couldn't. handle.

And I mean, COME ON PEOPLE. I think people are wrapped up too tight about potentially offending others -- not even by anything they've done but just by being who they are. Like they think who they are is tantamount to an offense to others. Of course you shouldn't disrespect people. But I think my general rule should be to just let other people be themselves. That's what it means to respect other people, you know? And if everybody did that, then things would get by ok and people would generally respect each other. Just be yourself. There's being thoughtful and then there's overthinking this poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 15, 2014

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Well, and the irony is that in trying to flaunt her White Liberal Guilt, the woman just ended up displaying her arrogance, narcissism, and privilege at some level, because her post comes across as just pitying/fretting about people who can't be awesome like her. She just readily assumes she's the center of the universe.

quote:

We're now very used to the idea that we don't have to read, watch or see anything unless we've specifically chosen to read, watch or see that particular thing. So when something intrusive filters through, it provokes anxiety. That might be a bit of a stretch, though.

I don't think that's such a stretch. Technology allows us to customize our environment and "express ourselves" in so many ways now, and I think it can foster a sense of expectation and entitlement, especially as we increasingly create echo chambers filled with only the people and things we like and agree with.

I've seen people on Facebook, for example, get intensely, righteously pissy over pretty-trivial things that they could've just skipped over or ignored, because they really have this expectation now that they SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SEE THINGS THAT THEY DO NOT WISH TO SEE.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

This is a silly example, but take the shitstorm after Macklemore won the Grammy. People were criticizing him for appropriating hip-hop and stripping it from its power to challenge white supremacy. But to say that hip-hop must do that and serve as the cure for the ills plaguing black America really puts an impossible burden on the artists who do it. That's just an example. Who can really live up to that standard?
This really is an interesting example, and I guess I'm mostly thinking about the response to Same Love. I saw so many Facebook arguments about a straight white dude doing a rap song about homophobia and (a relatively small but vocal group of) people criticized him endlessly for being a white dude rapping about homophobia, like he couldn't talk about it because he wasn't gay and/or black. That's the vibe I got at least. And it made me wonder how these people feel about, say, Bob Dylan's protest/topical songs for example.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

This really is an interesting example, and I guess I'm mostly thinking about the response to Same Love. I saw so many Facebook arguments about a straight white dude doing a rap song about homophobia and (a relatively small but vocal group of) people criticized him endlessly for being a white dude rapping about homophobia, like he couldn't talk about it because he wasn't gay and/or black. That's the vibe I got at least. And it made me wonder how these people feel about, say, Bob Dylan's protest/topical songs for example.
I'm guessing this was at least partially fueled by the whole "first rapper with a political message" bullshit that was peddled around the same time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm guessing this was at least partially fueled by the whole "first rapper with a political message" bullshit that was peddled around the same time.

How was that a thing? Were these people just discovering rap for the first time or something? Even other white rappers have had political messages.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

PT6A posted:

How was that a thing? Were these people just discovering rap for the first time or something? Even other white rappers have had political messages.

A lot of people assume that rap is either about drugs, bitches, cash money, or materialism without delving deeper into the history of the genre. So when a rapper with a "message" comes alone, those same people claim that rap is now "mature" and means something while other rap before it was just frivolous.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nethilia posted:

A lot of people assume that rap is either about drugs, bitches, cash money, or materialism without delving deeper into the history of the genre. So when a rapper with a "message" comes alone, those same people claim that rap is now "mature" and means something while other rap before it was just frivolous.

I bet this partly underlies the 'morbidly obese but healthy and beautiful' crowd. If you're able to be healthier than you were before, then you weren't healthy before, and that means people who're still there aren't healthy and you're oppressing them with your views

Edit: I feel like I just discovered whole crowds of people literally making themselves stupid and mentally ill due to social pressure. God help me, this is kind of interesting.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

I had more of this sentiment in mind:

http://jezebel.com/is-it-disingenuous-to-write-a-gay-anthem-if-youre-stra-1216839227/all

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nethilia posted:

... Soooo when Afrika Bambaataa introduced rap music to inner-city street gangs in the late 1970s as a non-violent means of resolving their differences...... that was all just frivolous?

How can people be this stupid? :psyduck:

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Nethilia posted:

Thats because the majority of it is—not that I have a problem with that.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Ungoal posted:

Thats because the majority of it is—not that I have a problem with that.

Uh, no it isn't. Most of what is broadcast or mainlined is, and the whole "gently caress bitchs get money" didn't start happening on wide span until gangsta rap took off in the mid to late 90s.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nethilia posted:

Uh, no it isn't. Most of what is broadcast or mainlined is, and the whole "gently caress bitchs get money" didn't start happening on wide span until gangsta rap took off in the mid to late 90s.

Even a lot of the gangsta rap had a strong political message, it was just a lot less, shall we say, presentable to white people.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Some of it did, some of it didn't. I'm as wary of people who try to rationalize or deny the existence of hip hop misogyny and materialism as I am of people who paint the entire genre that way.

^ "Not presentable to white people" - man, you're acting like huge, huge numbers of white people don't eat nihilistic gangsta rap up with a spoon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

New Coke posted:

^ "Not presentable to white people" - man, you're acting like huge, huge numbers of white people don't eat nihilistic gangsta rap up with a spoon.

True, but they aren't the ones acting like it's a surprise when rap has a political/social message.

Obviously, misogyny, violence and materialism are also quite represented in rap, but that doesn't invalidate the social messages that are present (even in the same songs, in some cases) or mean that they don't exist.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nethilia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL1hDkI7yFY

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This threads going down the wrong path fast. Start making fun of commie nerds again. Rap music rules end of story.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BigFactory posted:

Rap music rules end of story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlMdNcvCJo

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

You don't like informer? Even to goof on? Get the gently caress outta here

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BigFactory posted:

You don't like informer? Even to goof on? Get the gently caress outta here

I think it's the best rap song ever made.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

M.O.P came around in 1992. There was rap in the '70s and '80s. Cherry picking doesn't prove your point.

New Coke posted:

Some of it did, some of it didn't. I'm as wary of people who try to rationalize or deny the existence of hip hop misogyny and materialism as I am of people who paint the entire genre that way.

I'm wary of people who point out the misogyny, drug glorification, and materialism in rap and then turn around and accept it in another genre of music. I know rap has lovely issues, it has since the start. But the statement that gangsta rap defines the genre is dishonest.

Nethilia fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 16, 2014

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
People actually listen to positive rap? I thought that stuff was called hiphop.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I rather enjoyed the fact that Tumbler cries about evil the White Man is as they leech from other cultures but then post stuff like this:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Supeerme posted:

I rather enjoyed the fact that Tumbler cries about evil the White Man is as they leech from other cultures but then post stuff like this:

Oh god how can these people exist :irony:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

True, but they aren't the ones acting like it's a surprise when rap has a political/social message.

Obviously, misogyny, violence and materialism are also quite represented in rap, but that doesn't invalidate the social messages that are present (even in the same songs, in some cases) or mean that they don't exist.

This is not false.

The-Mole posted:

People actually listen to positive rap? I thought that stuff was called hiphop.

Lots of people listening to positive rap is a comforting lie we tell ourselves because of rap's potential. Just because you're enlightened doesn't mean that most people don't just consume what they are presented with.

This all goes for metal as well, honestly. Stereotypes presented as fact. It's a Chicken or the Egg scenario. The media industry presents media to consume, which leads to demand of more of the same, which leads to more production...

:tinfoil:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Only nerds listen to metal.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BigFactory posted:

Only nerds listen to metal.

Metal Rules.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

If you're a fat teenager I guess.

Edit: metal does rule, but big fat adults in enormous shorts need to take it back from nerds and big fat teenagers.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 21, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
See what I said about stereotypes? Knock that poo poo off, please.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

"violent messages" is a non-sequitur in this context. "fetishize" is 100% not the word they were looking for. "fat voices" is...unfortunate phrasing. Same for "burgeon" and "wide". That person's name is Fleets? What kind of name is that?

JPEG artifacts. A completely redundant "Fat" button, as if seeing this person's corpus did not get the point across. A simultaneous mustache and heaving bosom, and a tropical...drapery? that brings to mind Homer Simpson's muumuu from the classic seventh season episode "King-Size Homer" (3F05). Top it off with a nasty scowl and some nice glasses, for a clown to wear, to the circus.

I'm just riffing here guys, please feel free to join in. I want everyone to feel included.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd say that image is tumblr.jpg but it doesn't even begin to encompass just how deep and insane it goes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Javid posted:

I'd say that image is tumblr.jpg but it doesn't even begin to encompass just how deep and insane it goes.

tumblr: there is always more, and it is always worse.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blowfish posted:

tumblr: there is always more, and it is always worse.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

What the gently caress :psypop:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

blowfish posted:

Oh god how can these people exist :irony:

They don't, but extremely gullible people do.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

"fetishize" is 100% not the word they were looking for.

I think it probably is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogcrash truther posted:

They don't, but extremely gullible people do.

I would be curious to know what fraction of ridiculous tumblr social justice warrior content is actually legitimate (or created by people over the age of 18).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

False flag operation Wake up sheeple.

• Locked thread