Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So, small update on this. It's working really well. I've only glued up the support and beaver board on the 3 pieces, but so far what I have is very sturdy and very light. One part of the board weighs no more than 1.5kg, although there's still the sand to go.

I didn't really take in-progress pictures because there's not much to see other than a pile of books on top of a blue slab, but I'll take a photo of the current stage tomorrow.

The tricky part will be gluing the side panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ijyt posted:

So, small update on this. It's working really well. I've only glued up the support and beaver board on the 3 pieces, but so far what I have is very sturdy and very light. One part of the board weighs no more than 1.5kg, although there's still the sand to go.

I didn't really take in-progress pictures because there's not much to see other than a pile of books on top of a blue slab, but I'll take a photo of the current stage tomorrow.

The tricky part will be gluing the side panels.

Please post updates -- I'm moving from a 700 sqft apartment to a real house with a nerd dungeon soon, and one of my first plans is to create some real gaming surfaces.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hubis posted:

Please post updates -- I'm moving from a 700 sqft apartment to a real house with a nerd dungeon soon, and one of my first plans is to create some real gaming surfaces.

If it passes it's first game and being manhandled by my friends, I'll post up a tutorial (with LEGO-style graphics if I'm feeling ambitious).

But seeing as you're getting a nerd dungeon, you lucky goon, you can probably forgo all this and just use a slab of MDF. I'm building this so that it can be stored by hanging up on a wall like some hammy neckbeard modern art.

e: This might also be of interest to you:

TheChirurgeon posted:

I just built a table. Here are my notes:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&pagenumber=1017&perpage=40#post423758961
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&pagenumber=1090&perpage=40#post424704872

I tried doing what you are doing, with no crossbeams but ultimately the structural integrity was poo poo. I ended up using PVC board instead of wood, which was lighter.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Apollodorus posted:

Nobody responded to this?

I am thinking of doing exactly what you are, actually, and I think it will work well once I have time to do it. 2" thick pink insulation foam with felt on the top and the bottom, sliced to allow folding in the right places. Reinforce the edges with duct tape, gaffer's tape, Gorilla tape, Tyvek tape, whatever.

I told my wife about this, and I actually already own 4 2x2 1" squares. We're looking at wrapping them in felt with velcro stitched into the sides so you can just put them together and take them apart to be stored separately if necessary. Then you just need a topper, which I have!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm not sure if I posted this here or another thread, but hollow core doors make a great table surface. They are relatively light, sturdy, and two of them make a 4'x7' surface. I happen to have a dowel jig, so I drilled out a side on each door and inserted dowels into one door. Combined with a pair of cheap sawhorses, I've got a light table that can be set up in about 3 minutes, breaks down easily, and stores in relatively no space.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

if we're talking gaming tables, this is almost complete now..

..it's 3' x 3' for Malifaux, with space around the edge for card decks / stat cards / mugs of tea etc.

I got as far as painting the outer surround a dark grey colour, undercoated the sand area black and began drybrushing up through my usual brown / grey combo.. but it came out poo poo so I'm planning on going back over it with a brown or a darker grey and just sticking with a single light drybrush over it.

ijyt posted:

I'm building this so that it can be stored by hanging up on a wall like some hammy neckbeard modern art.

Hanging it from the walls is a pretty genius idea though, thanks for this.. I can easily adapt this to be hung from the wall, I just need to tweak one of the short edges of the frame and et voila.. instant nerd wall art :)

edit: I should really probably think about making some terrain for it too eh?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Cross-posting my display board from the Oath thread.

And after seeing this, our GM now wants to run Hijinx D20 for us. :xd:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Gaming table talk: I'm still in love with my ping pong table, sprayed down with truck bed liner. Folds up and rolls away, with no trouble at all.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
My friend just built one out of a pool table. You can get pool tables that have been damaged and dented (since once you dent the top of a cheap pool table its basically worthless) for the price of being willing to haul it away.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I managed to grab some of the old cardstock + plastic corner Mordheim buildings. Besides mounting them to some MDF bases does anyone have any idea as to how I can prolong their life? Spray them with some varnish?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dishwasherlove posted:

I managed to grab some of the old cardstock + plastic corner Mordheim buildings. Besides mounting them to some MDF bases does anyone have any idea as to how I can prolong their life? Spray them with some varnish?
Don't beat the poo poo out of them? Aside from normal game play, are they going to be constantly handled? If not, they should be ok. The edges are going to break down if you're constantly assembling and disassembling them though, and there really isn't anything you can do about that.

If you're really adventurous though, I've heard that Paverpol is pretty crazy stuff. It's pretty much a resin used to harden textiles.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

dishwasherlove posted:

You can use this as it is safe to apply over painted canvasses, but it shouldn't be necessary unless you are really careless with your terrain or are constantly re-configuring it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yeah good points. I'll just base them and leave it like that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Use a black sharpie on the exposed edges of the cardboard, then brush on a thin layer of white glue to seal the ink and the buildings should last forever.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, it's always the edges that go first.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Daedleh posted:

I got a terrain commission published! (official photo is the first one, natch)

Can you talk a little about this? This looks absolutely amazing and I want achieve a similar result on mine!

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Still need to sand the edges square, but the Death Star terrain I've been painting for X-wing is basically done :toot:

All I need to do now is finish up the various turrets. I'm surprised how good it looks with just some grey primer and a heavy drybrushing with very very slight grey white. (Not pictured: the 3D trench and the rest of the turrets)

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
That's actually pretty drat sweet, from the kickstarter I'm guessing eh? If so I remember seeing it, then thinking ugh I kinda want but don't have money/time for another miniature game.

Even if I am a complete tool for SW poo poo.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks! I was actually planning on backing that kickstarter but didn't like that the highest pledge level didn't give you everything. Someone told me about a dude that does his own custom mold terrain for a fraction of the price and I went with him instead. One downside over that kickstarter is you have to sand and finish the stuff yourself, but I don't mind that. Here's his site: http://www.combatwombatminiatures.com/star_fortress.htm

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

dexefiend posted:

Can you talk a little about this? This looks absolutely amazing and I want achieve a similar result on mine!

I don't know how often Daedleh actually reads this thread, you may have more luck asking in the Mantic thread, but I'd imagine the basic process would be something like:

Assemble everything (because the camo stripes need to cross between modules or they will look dumb).
Prime.
Hit everything with the main colour via airbrush (in Daedleh's case green). (Potentially you can use a green primer to skip a step here)
Squiggle camo pattern in secondary colour (in Daedleh's case tan) with airbrush, no masking.
Mask off the edges around the white bands, cut lettering/insignia stencils in tape and apply.
Mask off and the bits you want hazard stripes on as well, just the blocked out areas
Spray the base colours for those bits. (Yellow for hazard stripes, white or really light grey for the rest)
Add additional masking over the hazard stripes to spray the black bits.
Paint all the bracing and fire-port edges black, lightly drybrush with a dark metal (not 100% sure on this - there looks to be a little depth there but it could just be lighting).
Sponge weather the poo poo out of everything with a dark rusty brown. (Daedleh sponged these, it's not salt weathering)

The floor plates look like the rusty dark brown stippled with orangey-brown and then drybrushed metal.

If you don't have an airbrush you could use coloured primer and blu-tac/silly putty masking to achieve the camo patterns, although it's tricky to get soft edges on the lines that way. In that case it would probably be much easier swap the first two painting steps: Paint the squiggle pattern colour first, then do the main colour over that. You'd have to mask over much less area that way.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Shallow posted:

I don't know how often Daedleh actually reads this thread, you may have more luck asking in the Mantic thread, but I'd imagine the basic process would be something like:

Assemble everything (because the camo stripes need to cross between modules or they will look dumb).
Prime.
Hit everything with the main colour via airbrush (in Daedleh's case green). (Potentially you can use a green primer to skip a step here)
Squiggle camo pattern in secondary colour (in Daedleh's case tan) with airbrush, no masking.
Mask off the edges around the white bands, cut lettering/insignia stencils in tape and apply.
Mask off and the bits you want hazard stripes on as well, just the blocked out areas
Spray the base colours for those bits. (Yellow for hazard stripes, white or really light grey for the rest)
Add additional masking over the hazard stripes to spray the black bits.
Paint all the bracing and fire-port edges black, lightly drybrush with a dark metal (not 100% sure on this - there looks to be a little depth there but it could just be lighting).
Sponge weather the poo poo out of everything with a dark rusty brown. (Daedleh sponged these, it's not salt weathering)

The floor plates look like the rusty dark brown stippled with orangey-brown and then drybrushed metal.

If you don't have an airbrush you could use coloured primer and blu-tac/silly putty masking to achieve the camo patterns, although it's tricky to get soft edges on the lines that way. In that case it would probably be much easier swap the first two painting steps: Paint the squiggle pattern colour first, then do the main colour over that. You'd have to mask over much less area that way.

Didn't see this sorry!

Yes, that's pretty much it.

The differences are:
After applying the camo pattern, use a dark green pin wash.
The white stripe and letters were sponge painted on. I also sponged the green base coat in areas to represent paint chipping.
The black/metal parts were just painted with a very dark grey, vallejo German Grey, and then lightly drybrushed with boltgun metal.
The floor plates were first done in the same way, then Modelsmates normal rust effect was stippled on.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My rewards from the Wild West Scenics kickstarter arrived, and they're really great. They've definitely made me a fan of laser-cut MDF terrain.

This is the first of the two rewards I selected, the water-tower (it also came with a small well). Went for a modern/sci-fi scheme rather than the Wild West look.

Unpainted:

Mostly finished

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I bought some modeling paste today, this stuff is loving magical. Making a realistic looking dirt road takes literally seconds (aside from the painting, of course).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm not familiar with the stuff. Post some pics?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
This stuff. Apparently it's supposed to go on a canvas, but it dries hard and you can sand it, so it's awesome for dioramas.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Ensign Expendable posted:

This stuff. Apparently it's supposed to go on a canvas, but it dries hard and you can sand it, so it's awesome for dioramas.

I swear by the Golden and Liquitex mediums.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I meant some pics of what you're doing with it and how you're using it in this case. :)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

I meant some pics of what you're doing with it and how you're using it in this case. :)

Oh, of course. Once I'm done.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm toying with the idea of gluing a grass mat to a light weight wooden board, so the mat doesn't skip around so easily. Which glue would you guys recommend? Not sure if I'm going to use my cloth GW grass mat or if I'll buy another, but is the type of glue I should use dependant on the type of material the mat is made of?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Why don't you just clip it on with binder clips? That way you don't have a permanently grassy board and don't have to worry about glue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheBlobThing posted:

I'm toying with the idea of gluing a grass mat to a light weight wooden board, so the mat doesn't skip around so easily. Which glue would you guys recommend? Not sure if I'm going to use my cloth GW grass mat or if I'll buy another, but is the type of glue I should use dependant on the type of material the mat is made of?

I would use an aerosol spray-on glue. 3M makes something like that. It does dependo n what the mat is made of: I'd avoid wool felt, for example, because I'm not sure if the lanolin in wool might prevent it from sticking.

I think you should maybe consider a flexible back instead, though. If it moves around too much, just adding a little weight would help, and you could still roll it up for storage.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TheBlobThing posted:

Contact Cement. You brush/roll it on to both surfaces, let them dry and then slap them together and they're stuck permanently. Just be careful, because you only get one shot at adhesion, because that poo poo is truly permanent.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Here's what I was working on.

Completely scratchbuilt, even the trees are custom (twisted wire and modelling paste). Sand for the center part and baking soda for snow. The effect was supposed to be a defensive line blown open by artillery, but the foam wasn't deep enough, so I made it more of one that was ran through by tanks.

Like so. More and bigger pictures are in the Imgur album.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

Like so. More and bigger pictures are in the Imgur album.

Great looking work, it's making me think of trying a snowy field for my kickstarter terrain :cheers:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Binder clamps won't do the job at all. The GW grass mat is really soft and pliable.

The aerosol stuff sound like it's the best fit for this particular mat, but will require some brainstorming on where to do it since I live in a small apartment. Thanks for the input.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Shameless cross-posting from the oath thread. All the pieces are cast in resin by yours truly:

A large swamp (with some figures for scale)

A small swamp (+scale shot)

Some gravestones (with figs)

The gravestones with some broken stone walls for a dilapidated little cemetery.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I know they are all from different games and from different companies, but those minis would make for a great adventuring party.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Weirdo posted:

I know they are all from different games and from different companies, but those minis would make for a great adventuring party.

So, a Helljack, a Cyborg, a Puritan Witch-Hunter, and a Zombie Hooker walk into a bar ...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Germ posted:

So, a Helljack, a Cyborg, a Puritan Witch-Hunter, and a Zombie Hooker walk into a bar ...

I think you just described my old Rifts campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

TheBlobThing posted:

Carpet Tac (aka Carpet Glue). You need a special trowel to apply it well, but I did that once. In fact, I found an outdoor carpet and painted and flocked it instead of using felt and/or a hobby grass mat. Then, after it's on the wood/backing, you can paint it and flock it and do a few other things to mix it up and give it the appearance of a grass mat.

However, and this is a big however, if you do this, or something like it; make sure you check out the weave before purchase. Some outdoor carpets are perfect for the application and others are really easy to catch square bases on due to the amount of loose fibers. (or is that fibre?).

The pro is that it is extremely durable.