Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Josh Lyman posted:

Must resist temptation to upgrade from 760 :negative:.

Also, I don't think warranty works without the original purchase receipt.

Most manufacturers do warranty from manufacture date or receipt date whichever is most recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
This was linked earlier but when buying a used 290/290x use this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArCtGVODPUTtdEdEUjRiSFdyckZ1Q1dGNUI3bkd5R1E#gid=0

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Arzachel posted:

That's for Pre-Hawaii Crossfire issues. MondayHotDog was asking about single GPU microstutter specifically.
That's the latest article about frame pacing, where are you seeing that there's a single-GPU fix for DirectD 9 and OpenGL? I know they released some per-title hotfixes in 13.x drivers but as far as I know we're still waiting on the general solution.

Edit: I could of course be wrong, so if you have a link that says they did make this general fix for single-card configs please post so I am less wrong.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 21, 2014

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I'm curious, are games going forward now fine with stuttering and just the backlog catalog of games need fixing?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
all you assholes remember, I bought a 7990 for $500 then flipped it for $1K and bought two 290s, ok that was awesome, whatever, but

you are getting the same amazing deal without any foresight or work or research, all you have to do is go to ebay and spend like $500, or half that if you are broke and still playing at 1080p

the fall of GPU scrypt mining should seriously usher in a new golden era of PC gaming :dance:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Want to buy a card previously used to mine cryptocoins, but don't want to buy secondhand? Gigabyte's got you covered. Their Black Edition hardware is used to mine for a week before they package it.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
now that's loving brilliant, I hope they take it a step further and offer to repurchase used cards that were used for mining, blow them out with air duster and sell them as rock solid pitch-black cards

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Alereon posted:

That's the latest article about frame pacing, where are you seeing that there's a single-GPU fix for DirectD 9 and OpenGL? I know they released some per-title hotfixes in 13.x drivers but as far as I know we're still waiting on the general solution.

Edit: I could of course be wrong, so if you have a link that says they did make this general fix for single-card configs please post so I am less wrong.

https://www.techreport.com/review/24218/a-driver-update-to-reduce-radeon-frame-times

I was pretty sure the drivers were announced as a fix for DX9, but you're right. The notes say the fix is for Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2, though I haven't heard about such issues with any other DX9 games since then. No idea on OpenGL though.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 21, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Want to buy a card previously used to mine cryptocoins, but don't want to buy secondhand? Gigabyte's got you covered. Their Black Edition hardware is used to mine for a week before they package it.

Thats genius. They profit from them and then sell them to idiots at a premium. Whoever came up with this is the biggest troll in the hardware industry and deserves a raise (or all the buttcoin profits from it)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They'd have to float an inventory of space/CPUs/PSUs/Memory/HDDs on hand just to use their own inventory of GPUs and Mobos. Its certainly not free in that sense.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Animal posted:

Thats genius. They profit from them and then sell them to idiots at a premium. Whoever came up with this is the biggest troll in the hardware industry and deserves a raise (or all the buttcoin profits from it)

Cause electricity and warehouse space are free.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
But I'm sure they aren't doing it out of love for their customers either.

Make coins, "its tested!", mark up.

If I was worried if it was a good card, I'd do it myself. But I'm never worried because the only bad cards I've ever seen are used or damaged. There are DOA I'm sure, but this doesn't really apply to that

seriously it is a genius idea

maybe they bought a lot of 1000 mining computers for half off

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Come to think of it, the pascal module thing seems pretty nice for applications like mining. If you can fit 4 full power GPUs into 1U of space then thats 16 full power GPUs in 4U where currently with traditional slot GPUs you can maybe fit 4 GPUs. That's 400% better space utilization and less rack hardware costs/GPU.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How exactly are you going to get an eBay seller to transfer the warranty to you?

I have a question about where the 290/290x will rank a year from now. At that time, I assume the 290/290x be the equivalent of a 280/280x today, so with a 280x from a reputable OEM going for $300 today, a mining-used 290 for $275 or 290x for $300 seems like the better choice.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 21, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So is unified memory supposed to just make programming easier for GPGPU applications or can it actually improve gaming performance?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Josh Lyman posted:

How exactly are you going to get an eBay seller to transfer the warranty to you?

I have a question about where the 290/290x will rank a year from now. At that time, I assume the 290/290x be the equivalent of a 280/280x today, so with a 280x from a reputable OEM going for $300 today, a mining-used 290 for $275 or 290x for $300 seems like the better choice.

I had a secondhand gigabyte gtx 250 from ebay I ran "folding at home" with after market cooler. When it broke gigabyte replaced it no questions asked. :mmmsmug:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So is unified memory supposed to just make programming easier for GPGPU applications or can it actually improve gaming performance?

Both, one by virtue of the other.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

deimos posted:

Both, one by virtue of the other.

Well one technically doesn't guarantee the other. Just wondering if there's untapped potential that's being held back by NUMA that can only be gained through UMA.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Well one technically doesn't guarantee the other. Just wondering if there's untapped potential that's being held back by NUMA that can only be gained through UMA.

There are, but programmers have to program for it, thus my comment. Moving cache coherency and transparently moving multi-core algorithms to the GPU will be a boon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Josh Lyman posted:

A used 290(X) is the better choice right now--in fact, it's the best deal on the market by far, especially if you get one from someone like Gigabyte who does S/N-based warranties, so you don't have to worry about trying to transfer the warranty/original invoice/whatever.

poo poo, for $30 more than the price of a 280X, you can get a used Gigabyte 290X from Amazon, so you get most of a 3 year warranty and Amazon's generous customer service to back you up.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

The two I bought were not registered and I put them under my MSI account which shows warranty until 2017. I'm not sure how it works if they actually registered it under their name already.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
That mining guy is selling more super cheap cards on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/fdcdeals/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Snapped up a 280X. About $100 cheaper than they usually are here, even including shipping.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you want a 290/290x probably worth contacting him to see if hes gonna list more. Dude had a million dollar mining operation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

If you want a 290/290x probably worth contacting him to see if hes gonna list more. Dude had a million dollar mining operation.
He has a single 290 up in a non-Buy It Now auction, probably a buyer from last week who didn't pay up, so it seems like he might be done. Still, I messaged him and I'll report back.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

He has a single 290 up in a non-Buy It Now auction, probably a buyer from last week who didn't pay up, so it seems like he might be done. Still, I messaged him and I'll report back.

Someone on reddit posted this. Sounds like they are dismantling the mining rig and shipping the cards to the US

"Hello - this is updated information regarding the new shipment of cards we now have at our Denver location: Please stay tuned - I will be listing these in our eBay account throughout today and tomorrow :) Bulk discount will be available for purchases of 6 or more pieces
SAPPHIRE R9 290 4G GDDR5 - MN: 102-C67111-00-AT SKU: 21227-00 - only 3 pieces!
SAPPHIRE HD 7970
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X - only 4 pieces
GIGABYTE HD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD - only 12 pieces
GIGABYTE R9 280X - 7 of each rev. 2.0 and 1.0
MSI R9 270X HAWK
MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G - only 10 pieces"
Edit: This is an e-mail straight from the seller. I purchased a 290 ($200) from him last week and have been very pleased, so far. Check out his feedback, too. It's all really good. The cards were used for litecoin mining.
Edit2: Pricing for currently listed cards are:
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 OC WITH BOOST - $119
Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 OC WITH BOOST - $119
SAPPHIRE HD 7970 OC 3G GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-X overclocked edition video card GPU - $159
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3G GDDR5 PCI-E Dual-X overclocked edition GPU - $159
PowerColor AMD Radeon AXR9 270X 2GBD5-DH/OC 2GB GDDR5 OC Graphics - $109

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

This is what I got:

quote:

Hello there, I just listed 1 about 1/2 hour ago - please check my listings. :)
I don't anticipate to have more any time soon - we should get a pallet of more cards maybe next month but I don't know what will be on it..
I also have an auction going for HD 7990 and some others
Then these will be listed by tomorrow:

SAPPHIRE HD 7970

SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X

SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X - only 4 pieces

GIGABYTE HD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD - only 12 pieces

GIGABYTE R9 280X - 7 of each rev. 2.0 and 1.0

MSI R9 270X HAWK

MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G - only 10 pieces

- fdcdeals

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Id be very wary of buying mining cards unless they were like considerably cheaper, like 50% or more. Those things probably ran non stop 24/7 at 120% for months.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Peechka posted:

Id be very wary of buying mining cards unless they were like considerably cheaper, like 50% or more. Those things probably ran non stop 24/7 at 120% for months.
True for the Sapphire cards, since there's a chance that you'd have issues getting warranty support without the original invoice.

Not true for the Gigabyte cards, since they have a 3 year warranty based on S/N.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MSi is also serial based.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I checked the ASUS RMA form and they only request a serial as well.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Peechka posted:

Those things probably ran non stop 24/7 at 120% for months.

What exactly breaks on a card under these use cases? Recorded accounts?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

What exactly breaks on a card under these use cases? Recorded accounts?

It can lower the life of the fan.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

It can lower the life of the fan.

To be fair, there are a lot of components on a card that have "lifetime" other than the fan, one that is affected by temperature. However it seems to me the chance of a failure due to a defect is way greater than a failure due to wearing something out. The question to me is whether or not it matters, statistically speaking. Probably not, overall, considering the average usage of any single card before it becomes obsolete.

This is a longer version of the same idea, back up with no hard data of any kind but is logical

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=248203.msg2636713#msg2636713

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Josh Lyman posted:

I checked the ASUS RMA form and they only request a serial as well.

ASUS RMA support sucks donkey dick just FYI.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

ASUS RMA support sucks donkey dick just FYI.

They are so loving bad. I just RMA'ed my motherboard a week ago. They sent an email yesterday saying "Hey, just sent back your motherboard with shipping number [the shipping number I used to ship to them], thank you, signed [my own loving name], Asus RMA Support, [my own phone number].

Like, they made an "RMA complete" email but filled it out with my personal info instead of theirs.

Also, I read on Newegg that Asus refused to fix someone's RMA because the person didn't mail the I/O shield in with the motherboard. So I said "gee, I better make sure to mail in my I/O board then". Guess what I didn't get back?

The only good news is the new one works. There was nothing in the package or any email explaining what they found/did. I had to call them and thankfully I got an American that was able to look the rest up.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Don Lapre posted:

Someone on reddit posted this. Sounds like they are dismantling the mining rig and shipping the cards to the US

"Hello - this is updated information regarding the new shipment of cards we now have at our Denver location: Please stay tuned - I will be listing these in our eBay account throughout today and tomorrow :) Bulk discount will be available for purchases of 6 or more pieces

*list of cards*

Has anyone seen the MSI R9-280X yet?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

deimos posted:

There are, but programmers have to program for it, thus my comment. Moving cache coherency and transparently moving multi-core algorithms to the GPU will be a boon.
uh, unified memory definitely does not imply transparently moving multicore algorithms to the GPU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Professor Science posted:

uh, unified memory definitely does not imply transparently moving multicore algorithms to the GPU

Err that'll teach me to try to simplify things without re-reading what I type, and this might be wrong, but... Doesn't cache coherency make it easier to write multi thread/core algorithms that can offload to GPU?

Maybe transparent isn't the word to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SourKraut posted:

Has anyone seen the MSI R9-280X yet?

FYI - He just put these up, and has them listed as new / never used for $169.99.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=231240069117

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 24, 2014