Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Cleveland was trying to sick tradez everyone last year with their #1 and no one bit on their (rumored) ridiculous asking price. I wonder if they try that again this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Doltos posted:

Cleveland was trying to sick tradez everyone last year with their #1 and no one bit on their (rumored) ridiculous asking price. I wonder if they try that again this year.

Well Chris Grant is gone so hopefully we just do the sane thing and take Wiggins.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

MourningView posted:

The Cavs got bluffed into drafting Dion Waiters by a lottery promise his agent completely made up, don't even act like they can't be tricked into drafting a crippled center.

Ah gently caress I completely forgot about this and here I was wondering why "Cleveland will gently caress this up lol :rolleye: " was the theme of the thread

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Doltos posted:

This year's No. 1 + future picks + a few prospects might be the best Minnesota could get for Love, though even Cleveland might not be stupid enough to do that trade without an extension.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

morestuff posted:

This year's No. 1 + future picks + a few prospects might be the best Minnesota could get for Love, though even Cleveland might not be stupid enough to do that trade without an extension.

Ahem, Cleveland stupid trade attempts involve them trying to get the best player + picks (unless the pick involved super-lovely). Minnesota will give us Love (with an extension) and three first rounders for our first next year and a couple second rounders or no dice.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
Cleveland's new GM hasn't done anything stupid yet to warrant all of the speculation about the Cavs blowing it. So far it's all just based on "lol Cleveland." I'm hopeful they'll just grab Wiggins and continue building from there. Griffin, why'd you have to say that "all options are on the table"? Now everyone assumes you're itching to trade the pick instead of recognizing that you made a pointless non-statement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

I'm as off the "Panic Trade Love" bandwagon as you can get and I would green light the No. 1 + filler in this draft for him. You probably wouldn't need to toss in anything of value. Maybe Waiters to save face on the pick.

Love was in those commercials with Irving so maybe he'd be happy there? They'd basically be a 2nd round team in the East right away.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

I like Love and all, but no one should trade the #1 pick in this year's draft for him. Especially when there is no guarantee that he will be with you for more than a year.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Niwrad posted:

I like Love and all, but no one should trade the #1 pick in this year's draft for him. Especially when there is no guarantee that he will be with you for more than a year.

Well without the long term guarantee, definitely not, but getting a star with the #1 pick is the goal and well, kevin love is already a star.

If he were in this draft somehow, he'd easily get taken number 1

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The thing with draft picks is you have them under control for 7 years and often at a rate under market value.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

The thing with draft picks is you have them under control for 7 years and often at a rate under market value.

It's 2 years guaranteed, 2 years team option, 1 year RFA. So its 4 year of control, and 1 year of drivers seat. Not sure where you get 7, unless your saying the draft pick HAS to sign max first contract, which they usually do but don't have to.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I'd rather have 20 year old Wiggins for 7 years at way below his value and hopefully build something than Kevin Love for 20+ million a year, especially given that the last thing Cleveland needs is a known locker room problem with a huge head.

Lockback posted:

It's 2 years guaranteed, 2 years team option, 1 year RFA. So its 4 year of control, and 1 year of drivers seat. Not sure where you get 7, unless your saying the draft pick HAS to sign max first contract, which they usually do but don't have to.

It's extraordinarily rare for a good player to walk away from their first extension in order to play for a different team.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 21, 2014

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Icy Penguigo posted:

Yeah, I'd rather have 20 year old Wiggins for 7 years at way below his value and hopefully build something than Kevin Love for 20+ million a year, especially given that the last thing Cleveland needs is a known locker room problem with a huge head.

Love is at 15 mil next year and that only raises about 1 mil a year. It's well below his real value too. Wiggins/Embiid will take a few years to develop too. If they want to compete right away, those guys probably aren't a great answer. Probably way smarter long-haul though.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Well sure but maybe Wiggins or Embiid won't ever be as good as love. I get that having control over players is great but winning is also very good and kevin love would do wonders to help a bad team win.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Lockback posted:

Love is at 15 mil next year and that only raises about 1 mil a year. It's well below his real value too. Wiggins/Embiid will take a few years to develop too. If they want to compete right away, those guys probably aren't a great answer. Probably way smarter long-haul though.

I agree that if they want to win NOW NOW NOW Love is the better option, but they're not built to do that at all, even with Love.

Edit: And by built to do that I mean they wouldn't be a championship contender. They'd definitely make the playoffs and probably get out of the first round.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Embiid's agents are smart. Drop his draft stock to save his future.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the_american_dream posted:

Ah gently caress I completely forgot about this and here I was wondering why "Cleveland will gently caress this up lol :rolleye: " was the theme of the thread

That, Bennett, Thompson. It's a proud history.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
why would the cavs want embiid or wiggins when they could make uncle drew a reality? trade the #1 for love, dion for nate robinson, and draft maya with your second rounder.

hell yea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Time posted:

Also he can't shoot for poo poo so the Shane battier comp seems off

Shane Battier wasn't much of a shooter when he was young either, thus "young Shane Battier."

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

Woah, woah, woah. Thompson has turned out perfectly fine. Don't even begin to compare him to Waiters and Bennett.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Rick posted:

Shane Battier wasn't much of a shooter when he was young either, thus "young Shane Battier."

Your actually right. My Bad! B-Ref is a wonderful tool that I forget exists until after I post sometimes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Great White Hope posted:

Woah, woah, woah. Thompson has turned out perfectly fine. Don't even begin to compare him to Waiters and Bennett.

He's fine. He was not worth the draft pick they spent on him, and was a reach even at the time. I'd rather have Valanciunas, who they had been projected by most people to take.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thompson is a serviceable big man who was drafted because he beat Derrick Williams in 1-on-1 sessions during their team workouts

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

I don't think there has ever been a star who took the qualifying offer and left as an unrestricted free agent. You can basically keep a star player for 7 years unless they are willing to take a massive risk by playing on that QO.

I would rather have 7 guaranteed years of Wiggins than 1 year of Love and a hope he wants to stay in a city where players don't usually want to stay.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

I would rather have 7 guaranteed years of Wiggins than 1 year of Love and a hope he wants to stay in a city where players don't usually want to stay.

Are you talking about The Timberwolves or The Cavs here?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you talking about The Timberwolves or The Cavs here?

Both. The #1 pick in this draft is more valuable than 1 season of Kevin Love and a hope he stays.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

MourningView posted:

None of those picks are as bad as some people think they are.

Bennett had a historically awful year and was part of a historically awful draft in which only one of the players in the top 7 had an even mediocre year, the rest were all awful or hurt. If they had chosen Otto Porter, people would be making GBS threads on that pick, and if they had taken Noel, Zeller, or Olynk people would be making GBS threads on that, too.

When Waiters was picked people were mad that they didn't choose Barnes, and a few people thought they should've taken Robinson (lol.) Neither of those picks would've turned out better than Waiters for the Cavs and if you pretend you've been on the Drummond band wagon all along you're probably a liar. They couldn't draft Lillard and the next players drafted were Terrence Ross and Austin Rivers. Ross would've been a huge reach, too.

Thompson was surrounded by awful picks and has been the 3rd or 4th best pick in that entire lottery, at worst. The 6 picks after him were Jonas V, who looks like he'll be great but was no guarantee to come over, Jan Vesely, Bismack Biyombo, Jimmer Fredette, Brandon Knight, and Kemba Walker.

People poo poo on the Cavs a lot for whatever reason but they haven't drafted badly given the players available since the Lebron fiasco.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I actually don't think they would poo poo on Noel because everyone knew he was a lost year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Speaking of which how would Noel + Embiid shake out?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Icy Penguigo posted:

Bennett had a historically awful year and was part of a historically awful draft in which only one of the players in the top 7 had an even mediocre year, the rest were all awful or hurt. If they had chosen Otto Porter, people would be making GBS threads on that pick, and if they had taken Noel, Zeller, or Olynk people would be making GBS threads on that, too.

They picked first. Those were not the only options available to them. No one would have poo poo on them for taking Noel, which they didn't do only because they delusionally considered themselves to be a playoff team. And there is a big gap between "mediocre" and "historically bad" which is what Bennett was. Oladipo, for example, while not especially great, would have been a perfectly acceptable top pick and a lot better than Bennett.

quote:

When Waiters was picked people were mad that they didn't choose Barnes, and a few people thought they should've taken Robinson (lol.) Neither of those picks would've turned out better than Waiters for the Cavs and if you pretend you've been on the Drummond band wagon all along you're probably a liar. They couldn't draft Lillard and the next players drafted were Terrence Ross and Austin Rivers. Ross would've been a huge reach, too.

The reason they drafted Waiters was incredibly silly, and I'd much rather have Barnes. And they should be held to a higher standard when it comes to overlooking Drummond that Average Internet Fan, because the average person on the internet is not being paid a huge salary to project how basketball players will turn out.

quote:

Thompson was surrounded by awful picks and has been the 3rd or 4th best pick in that entire lottery, at worst. The 6 picks after him were Jonas V, who looks like he'll be great but was no guarantee to come over, Jan Vesely, Bismack Biyombo, Jimmer Fredette, Brandon Knight, and Kemba Walker.

Jonas was always going to come over, he just wasn't going to come over that year. That shouldn't matter to the Cavs, who were in no position to compete anyway. He would have been a much better pick, and was the guy they were linked to for most of the process.

Doltos posted:

Speaking of which how would Noel + Embiid shake out?

Embiid and it's not all that close. He is not quite as disruptive defensively, but it's not a huge gap, and he's lightyears ahead of where Noel is on offense. They both have injury concerns too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 21, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PantsFreeZone posted:

The Cleveland Cavaliers are going to screw up yet another #1 pick. What are the mathematical odds of them getting 3 #1s in 5 years?

Five teams have been in the last four draft lotteries and here are the odds for each of them to get #1 in four consecutive years:

1 in 13,728 Cavaliers
1 in 63,885 Kings
1 in 1,357,045 Pistons
1 in 3,565,091 Timberwolves
1 in 46,694,444 Suns

Odds of the five teams doing what the Cavs did (2011, 2013 and 2014 #1 picks with another team winning in 2012).

1 in 1,927 Cavaliers
1 in 5,257 Kings
1 in 23,470 Pistons
1 in 39,652 Timberwolves
1 in 281,803 Suns

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

Embiid and it's not all that close. He is not quite as disruptive defensively, but it's not a huge gap, and he's lightyears ahead of where Noel is on offense. They both have injury concerns too.

I think he meant in tandem, in which... eh, I don't think that's a great combo. Lot of size, sure, and maybe rises hopes of the Robinson/Duncan Spurs, but neither are super-great jump shooters (though for size, they're not too bad), so you'd be giving up a lot on that end of offense.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
I know the popular SAS hivemind thing is "lol cavs gonna gently caress up" but we do have a new GM finally who isn't Chris Grant or Danny Ferry. He did the Hawes trade which has worked out fairly well all things considered, and I'm pretty sure the entire town would riot if he traded that pick at this point since everyone wants Wiggins or Embiid based on what I'm reading. I think Wiggins would do more just because he's a more complete player right now and can be a perimeter defender for a team that sorely needs one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

I think he meant in tandem, in which... eh, I don't think that's a great combo. Lot of size, sure, and maybe rises hopes of the Robinson/Duncan Spurs, but neither are super-great jump shooters (though for size, they're not too bad), so you'd be giving up a lot on that end of offense.

I don't think it'd be that bad. Embiid has show flashes of being able to operate from the high post.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

I don't think it'd be that bad. Embiid has show flashes of being able to operate from the high post.

What about space offensively for the guards/wings? Wouldn't Embiid and Noel clog the lane?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can someone explain what happened with Dion Waiters' agent influencing the pick because it sounds like a very lol moment.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Can someone explain what happened with Dion Waiters' agent influencing the pick because it sounds like a very lol moment.

Dion Waiters agent completely shut him down during the Combine and refused to do any workouts or interviews. People assumed he had a promise from some team in the lottery but no one knew who. Cleveland panicked and took him at #4 (because someone else will snatch him from us if we trade down!), which was considered a reach at the time.

It's pretty amazing because usually from the Combine to the draft a player's faults and short comings are put under a microscope. In Waiters' case his agent completely turned this around and used mystery to build his hype

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Doltos posted:

What about space offensively for the guards/wings? Wouldn't Embiid and Noel clog the lane?
Don't have to play em at the same time, then. I do think Embiid can play farther from the basket, which would help, but I think being able to operate through those two would take priority over whatever guard you might try to use to penetrate.

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008

Zogo posted:

Five teams have been in the last four draft lotteries and here are the odds for each of them to get #1 in four consecutive years:

1 in 13,728 Cavaliers
1 in 63,885 Kings
1 in 1,357,045 Pistons
1 in 3,565,091 Timberwolves
1 in 46,694,444 Suns

Odds of the five teams doing what the Cavs did (2011, 2013 and 2014 #1 picks with another team winning in 2012).

1 in 1,927 Cavaliers
1 in 5,257 Kings
1 in 23,470 Pistons
1 in 39,652 Timberwolves
1 in 281,803 Suns

I don't believe in the rigging stuff but maybe they should have rules in place to prevent stuff like this (though it's not gonna happen, a lot of people like the randomness), like if your draft pick was top 3 you can't have a top 3 pick the next year (even if your top 3 pick the previous year wasn't yours but was traded to another team). Just a speculation not saying it's a good idea at all, just an idea. There's just so many injustices lol. It's not necessarily bad it was Cleveland though. At least online Cavs fans seem pretty cool, if any of the major city franchises got the first pick their fanbases, exclusing SAS you guys are cool, would be incredibly insufferable.

thegoonofaudio fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

MourningView posted:

They picked first. Those were not the only options available to them. No one would have poo poo on them for taking Noel, which they didn't do only because they delusionally considered themselves to be a playoff team. And there is a big gap between "mediocre" and "historically bad" which is what Bennett was. Oladipo, for example, while not especially great, would have been a perfectly acceptable top pick and a lot better than Bennett.
I didn't say Bennett was mediocre, I said he was historically bad. You should probably reread my post. What I said was only one player picked in the first 7 was mediocre (the rest were horrible or didn't play.) Oladipo "for example" was the ONLY player worthy of consideration, and it's really easy to say that in hindsight. For the record, I thought they should have drafted Oladipo at the time, but that doesn't mean I think they're blundering morons for not predicting which top prospect would have a good year when so many of them have been busts (so far.)

MourningView posted:

The reason they drafted Waiters was incredibly silly, and I'd much rather have Barnes. And they should be held to a higher standard when it comes to overlooking Drummond that Average Internet Fan, because the average person on the internet is not being paid a huge salary to project how basketball players will turn out.
I don't care what reasoning they have to draft someone, if the pick turned out OK in retrospect than it's a dumb thing to be mad about. Barnes hasn't been any better than Waiters, and most of the other GMs were low on Drummond too, that's why he fell to 9th or 10th or whatever.

MourningView posted:

Jonas was always going to come over, he just wasn't going to come over that year. That shouldn't matter to the Cavs, who were in no position to compete anyway. He would have been a much better pick, and was the guy they were linked to for most of the process.

It wouldn't have been the first time a player said they'd come over and then didn't. He needed a buyout and it wasn't a sure thing. Again, it's easy to say in hindsight that he was the obvious pick, but Thompson was the safer option and wound up being a perfectly serviceable big. "They took the safest player available and he became a decent starter" is hardly a knock on a team's draft record. V shows flashes but he hasn't been worlds better than Thompson anyway. Thompson is averaging almost a double-double, his defense has improved, and his FT shooting has improved dramatically each year he's been in the league. Jonas has looked marginally better than Thompson on fewer minutes with a better team.

• Locked thread