Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Don't different teams work on different units? For example, it looks as if the same team that animated the Zeta Gundam unit also did the Arios Gundam in Z2, and the Nu Gundam.

If this is true, it's feasible that old talent rotates out and new talent rotates in, and that more experienced teams are given to units with more prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So what is the deal with Evangelion in Z3? Do the angels and all the conspiracy stuff have anything to do with other series or is it all pretty much self contained and similar to the show?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

So what is the deal with Evangelion in Z3? Do the angels and all the conspiracy stuff have anything to do with other series or is it all pretty much self contained and similar to the show?

EVA is from its very own alternate universe, like Aquarion EVOL. Shinji makes friends with, is supported by, and sometimes even supports half the rest of the cast. Kaworu goes around trolling the final bosses a lot. It's implied that Gendou has the same thing going on that he did in Alpha 3.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Caphi posted:

EVA is from its very own alternate universe, like Aquarion EVOL. Shinji makes friends with, is supported by, and sometimes even supports half the rest of the cast. Kaworu goes around trolling the final bosses a lot. It's implied that Gendou has the same thing going on that he did in Alpha 3.

What thing is that? I never played Alpha 3.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Golden Battler posted:

You should fix that. Best SRW ever.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Golden Battler posted:

in Alpha 3 he mentioned after you beat him that he was trying to get humanity to ascend to protect it from the Apocalypsis, based on the fact that the Protoculture kind of did the same thing. In Z3 one of the last bosses, possibly the Anti-Spiral, mentions to Shinji that his dad is trying to apotheosize humanity, which is a thing a bunch of other final bosses mention as the way to survive Ba'al and/or "the closing of the 12,000 year cycle."

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Eternal Volfogg posted:

You should fix that. Best SRW ever.

I still think Z1 beats it. Not a fan of the squad system, not having Wide formation makes enemy squads take too long to kill even if you have good ALL weapons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So use map weapons. Z3 makes Seven Squall look like babby's first map weapon.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

I still think Z1 beats it. Not a fan of the squad system, not having Wide formation makes enemy squads take too long to kill even if you have good ALL weapons.

Yeah the thing that killed me the most in Alpha 2 and 3 was that it took so darn long to kill things for most of the game.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Rascyc posted:

So use map weapons. Z3 makes Seven Squall look like babby's first map weapon.

Relevant on several levels. Gendo was trying to turn humanity into an equivalent of Ideon, LCL goo and all that.

Ethiser posted:

Yeah the thing that killed me the most in Alpha 2 and 3 was that it took so darn long to kill things for most of the game.
This sounds really strange to me because I could wipe out squads with a single attack starting with stage 20 or 30 in Alpha games. Whenever it is that pilots started getting valor which was like a 3rd or 4th spirit command on the list

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Man I wish they would use Ideon again just to see how they would implement it in a more modern SRW.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Ethiser posted:

My DaiRaiOh, GGG and J-Der's all attacks pretty much would 1 shot most squads around the mid point, but im super OCD and probably spent 50 hours on the menu screen figuring out the perfect squads and skills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm not sure how it takes too long to kill things. As I've said before, the Moebus Zero, Mu La Flaga's crap-rear end starting jet, is capable of wrecking huge chunks of the game because it has a good ALL attack.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Maybe I just played the game weird. I played the Alpha games after Z so part of it was probably that I really wanted some sort of Wide formation attack that let me hit the whole enemy squad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

@3 is kinda on my shitlist just because it handles GGG Final exceptionally poorly and without much fanfare. All in all it was enjoyable enough (but even then I still liked Z1 better), but after playing W which was basically one big loveletter to GaoGaiGar I was just hugely disappointed in a 3D SRW that handled it so much worse.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oh Snapple! posted:

@3 is kinda on my shitlist just because it handles GGG Final exceptionally poorly and without much fanfare. All in all it was enjoyable enough (but even then I still liked Z1 better), but after playing W which was basically one big loveletter to GaoGaiGar I was just hugely disappointed in a 3D SRW that handled it so much worse.

What? GGG Final gets its full finale and everything and the Genesic Gaogaigar and King J-Der are two of the strongest units in a game that has the loving Ideon and Gunbuster.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kanos posted:

What? GGG Final gets its full finale and everything and the Genesic Gaogaigar and King J-Der are two of the strongest units in a game that has the loving Ideon and Gunbuster.

It has nothing to do with unit strength and everything to do with the fact that a 2D game beat the poo poo out of them on event presentation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oh Snapple! posted:

It has nothing to do with unit strength and everything to do with the fact that a 2D game beat the poo poo out of them on event presentation.

Alpha 3 isn't a 3D game...? Also Alpha 3 did everything in GGG Final, I'm not sure what you mean by event presentation.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Kanos posted:

Alpha 3 isn't a 3D game...? Also Alpha 3 did everything in GGG Final, I'm not sure what you mean by event presentation.

I think he means in terms of maps, isometric with full robots vs just heads. Despite what some people say, it makes a lot of difference in terms of story immersion.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

This sounds really strange to me because I could wipe out squads with a single attack starting with stage 20 or 30 in Alpha games. Whenever it is that pilots started getting valor which was like a 3rd or 4th spirit command on the list

Seriously. I lost my screencap of it years and years ago, but I got around 1375 kills in a single stage in Alpha 3, and 90% of them were from the Ideon. It is not hard to kill mass amounts of grunts with ALL attacks and MAP weapons. In fact it's easier in Alpha 3 because they don't penalize ALL attack damage the way they do in Z. At least, I'm pretty sure they don't.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hokuto posted:

In fact it's easier in Alpha 3 because they don't penalize ALL attack damage the way they do in Z. At least, I'm pretty sure they don't.

I am pretty sure they do, but not nearly as much as in Z. Not to mention that you have way more SP to burn and you have Valor a lot earlier and way more map attacks available. Grunts should be a lot easier to deal with in @3 than Z.

Edit: I think the damage reduction in Z is greater because there is an overall penalty to an ALL attack followed by the sub units have additional damage reduction when taking damage from a main one. Alpha probably just has the damage reduction on an ALL attack. I haven't checked this in any way and could be making poo poo up.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 22, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Wide formation gives a flat 10% reduction in damage to squaddies IIRC, in addition to having some other bonus against TRI attacks because Wide is supposed to be the counter to TRI.

One of the big reasons I didn't like the TRI system was because of mooks with Wide formation. It doesn't even make the grunt waves hard, just annoying to slog through, and convinces me to stop bothering at all and I end up just nuking everyone with Renton.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GimmickMan posted:

Wide formation gives a flat 10% reduction in damage to squaddies IIRC, in addition to having some other bonus against TRI attacks because Wide is supposed to be the counter to TRI.
You're remembering wrong.

The way it works is that in Wide Formation units take half damage against Tri and All Attacks. Each squad also gets a (slight) damage bonus against the formation they are given and advantage over. Tri > Center > Wide > Tri.

GimmickMan posted:

One of the big reasons I didn't like the TRI system was because of mooks with Wide formation. It doesn't even make the grunt waves hard, just annoying to slog through, and convinces me to stop bothering at all and I end up just nuking everyone with Renton.

Just... use Wide or Center formation? Yeah if you're going to spam All attacks on the enemies made resistant to all attacks of course it's going to be a slog.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
so, I'm replaying J and I've come to find its going down alot easier than my first playthrough (still unfinished after six loving years). For one, Toya is in the mech he belongs in (Granteed), and Nadesico already has the highest level (doesnt change the fact that the drat ship desperately needs Strike/Focus). I favorited what I did the last time (Originals, Mazinkaiser and G Gundam). I heard Dragon Gundam has an attack that lowers damage :getin:

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Kanos posted:

I think it has something to do with a stage where Z-Master takes up a whole goddamn map.
Despite W having one of the more tolerable sets of originals, they still found a way to make that awesome stage serve as another stepping stone to make their original characters feel super important when it was supposed to be somebody else's moment to shine, but nothing's perfect.

Alpha 3 still has the superior presentation for J-Phoenix though.

I'd like to see Ideon return too - it's just not a proper SRW ending without it. With the likes of Gurren Laggan raising the power stakes it may no longer be top top dog on the mecha power scale, but game-wise it had a berserk mode in his original appearance, and a reputation for bieing obcenely powerful in his 2nd one where that wasn't a factor - it should be possible to balance those 2 example by tweaking a berserk condition so it'll make that less likely than before, but still present in the game, perhaps something related to defeated allies or some average morale value in the currently deplpoyed team?...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Just... use Wide or Center formation? Yeah if you're going to spam All attacks on the enemies made resistant to all attacks of course it's going to be a slog.

I don't see how either of those things help. The entire point of center formation is that it focuses fire on a single target so it only makes things slower if anything. Wide formation would be helpful if your squaddies could counterattack during enemy turns but they can't and during your turn it forces you to use PLA weapons anyway which are garbage. I guess if you have the money to fully upgrade the weapons of every single unit it might work but I wouldn't bet on a lousy beam rifle taking down anything in 1 shot otherwise.

Imagine that arbitrarily a third of enemy mook waves had 20/30% more HP. This does not make them harder, it only makes killing them slower. When there is no other way to nuke squads in 1 counterattack but to use ALL/TRI attacks, that is effectively what Wide formation does.

My point is that the usefulness of wide formation is very, very conditional on the player's side of things (and is negated entirely by using SP) but the damage reduction is very noticeable when the enemy uses it. There's no strategy to it, it is just annoying like all HP bloat is. The TRI system is okay for the first third of the game or so but then weapon upgrades make your ALLs better than squaddie PLAs, after that hot blood/soul makes Center formation irrelevant, and when you get Renton it stops mattering altogether.

It was fun early on, sure, but the system only works as intended if you're gimping yourself and not upgrading weapons for some reason.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GimmickMan posted:

I don't see how either of those things help. The entire point of center formation is that it focuses fire on a single target so it only makes things slower if anything.

Because Squads are a ton weaker when not full. Using Center formation to take out the leader leaves the remaining two (who are often weaker units then the Squad Leader to start with) much more vulnerable to ALL and TRIs because the damage penalty to a two man squad is minuscule.

GimmickMan posted:

Imagine that arbitrarily a third of enemy mook waves had 20/30% more HP. This does not make them harder, it only makes killing them slower. When there is no other way to nuke squads in 1 counterattack but to use ALL/TRI attacks, that is effectively what Wide formation does.

That's the point.

You're not supposed to just be able to spam ALL and Tri attacks, they're weaker against full squads and especially Wide Formation.

Instead try upgrading your squadmates, you know, that way the PLAs won't suck. Or heck, there are plenty of mechs with strong PLA atttacks, just use those.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 23, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Welp, here we go. Coffin of the End trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejnDtOqjRoA

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Re: GGG FINAL in Alpha 3 - I think one of the weird things is how they didn't really care about the villains and only put a fraction of them in, while leaving the rest as giant cubes (at least, I think that's what they looked like), in space. It kinda sticks out. Obviously having a bunch of villains with unique animations in a single stage would be expensive, so I do understand it. It is a little offputting though!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Well, that explains how Tytti loses Gaddess and pilots something new. It (presumably) gets destroyed/captured along with the rest of the Elemental Lords.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Srice posted:

Re: GGG FINAL in Alpha 3 - I think one of the weird things is how they didn't really care about the villains and only put a fraction of them in, while leaving the rest as giant cubes (at least, I think that's what they looked like), in space. It kinda sticks out. Obviously having a bunch of villains with unique animations in a single stage would be expensive, so I do understand it. It is a little offputting though!

Let us not also forget that FuuRyu and RaiRyu are completely absent from either Alpha. It really wasn't a great implementation, especially compared to W.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CaptainRat posted:

Let us not also forget that FuuRyu and RaiRyu are completely absent from either Alpha. It really wasn't a great implementation, especially compared to W.

Yeah it's weird, sure Alpha 3 had a lot of units (IIRC they were introduced in the second half of the show so they wouldn't be in 2 regardless?), but considering that was GGG's first appearance it's rather odd they wouldn't include as much of the cast as possible. A few more units wouldn't have hurt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty burned out on Shu. Dude has a serious case of Vegeta syndrome.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty burned out on Shu. Dude has a serious case of Vegeta syndrome.
At least Shu hasn't inherited the major side effect of that syndrome, Worf Flu.

Yet.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Policenaut posted:

why is every loving loe game an interquel?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

why is every loving loe game an interquel?
What do you mean? Isn't this the last one?

Or am I misunderstanding "interquel"? I've never heard that word before.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, that explains how Tytti loses Gaddess and pilots something new. It (presumably) gets destroyed/captured along with the rest of the Elemental Lords.

I think she wasn't in Lagran when it got sealed off so her machine is in there along with the rest of the Antillas Squad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

What do you mean? Isn't this the last one?

Or am I misunderstanding "interquel"? I've never heard that word before.
Interquel is a term for something taking place in between two pre-existing things, but is made after those two things. Example: Resident Evil Revelations is an interquel taking place between RE4 and RE5, but was made after both 4 and 5.

Not sure how that applies to LoE, since those games are their own sub-series of OG starring Masaki as the lead that just happen to cross over with mainline OG. They do not fit the definition of interquel at all.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
correct me if im wrong, but didn't the original snes game take place before and after SRW4 (with the remake doing somewhat the same for the OG games). This newest one obviously takes place before the events of OGS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Race Realists posted:

correct me if im wrong, but didn't the original snes game take place before and after SRW4 (with the remake doing somewhat the same for the OG games). This newest one obviously takes place before the events of OGS2
Yes, that is how it was back then. However, Revelation of Evil God and Pride of Justice actually moved the plot forward, with Coffin of the End wrapping up the plot.

This is how Masoukishin flows in OG:

MK1 Part 1-->OGs-->OGG-->2nd OGs-->MK1 Part 2-->Revelation of Evil God-->Pride of Justice-->Coffin of the End

RoEG has stuff that could only take place if the first game ended. For instance, Rodney and Ellis, two recruitable characters in MK1 Part 2, are now married and expecting a child in RoEG. The fact that both characters are even alive (since they could die depending on your choices) reaffirms that the game is set after the first Masoukishin game. Similarly, Pride of Justice does the same in places with events in that game. The trailer for Coffin of the End even has one of these reveals that it takes place after the first game: Wizoll Kai being useable by Saphine without the influence of Volkruss, something she ultimately broke free of in Dark Prison.

• Locked thread