Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

I keep seeing the word biometric, and it's just reminding me that our biometric insurance physicals are coming up. The CEO is on a huge health kick all of a sudden, and we used to be able to just get a physical from the doctor or clinic of our choice. This year, they're bringing in people to do the physicals here. Apparently they'll be testing our BMI, cholesterol, blood-glucose, and :siren:tobacco and drug usage:siren:. Drug users are terminated, tobacco users have to pay double insurance premiums. Hopefully if I quit smoking literally today, it'll be cleared out of my system by the end of July and I'll still be able to afford my health insurance :smith:

Your ceo is pretty ballsy. Forcing physicals onto employees already employed by the company opens a lot of doors of law breaking depending on the situation. If they are drawing blood and taking your body measurements a number of privacy laws could be broken. I also think its in the laws that you can only pay 20% more premiums than anyone else in the company.

You seem worried about it. I would consult lawyer. Things like this happen all the time and are usually only sorted in the courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd just like to pitch in a say gently caress Quickbooks and their file instability. My president continues to get Fatal Error crashes to desktop and the File Doctor tool just runs forever.

The support is the worst thing ever with estimated call waits at 2 loving hours.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I wonder if you enter a smoking cessation program if they can touch your rates, as actively seeking treatment for addiction grants protection from retaliation based on said addiction treatment.

According to our health plan book, to be considered "tobacco free" you have to have not used any form of tobacco for at least six months. New this year? E-cigs count as tobacco products, even if you vape nicotine free oils. Should your physical show tobacco use, you are automatically bumped to the tobacco user plan tier and they pull the discounted premiums since the last physical out of your paycheck. Fuckin bullshit.

The CEO is actually stopping by tomorrow. He's 79 and had some sort of heart surgery last year. This all just feels like he had to start living healthy and he's taking it out on everyone else.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 21, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The anti-smoking thing has been coming down the road for awhile, especially in the medical field.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

go3 posted:

The anti-smoking thing has been coming down the road for awhile, especially in the medical field.

You can thank the NHS and their publishing of reports:

quote:

Research commissioned by ASH in 2010 has shown that the cost to the NHS of treating diseases caused by smoking is approximately £2.7 billion a year. Another study put the estimated cost as high as £5.2 billion.

Bringing science into my health plan, how dare they? Thanks Obama's death panels.

Health insurers just want a cut of the tobacco taxes, they're just skipping the government middleman.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 21, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

The ACA caps tobacco rate hikes at 50%, it varies state by state with a few states actually making it illegal to do so. Best check with your state's insurance commission to see what the rules are where you live.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Just got off the phone with the team leader for the non-technical portion of the interview. It went really well. They need to contact my references, then if im lucky I hope to have an offer soon.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

larchesdanrew posted:

I keep seeing the word biometric, and it's just reminding me that our biometric insurance physicals are coming up. The CEO is on a huge health kick all of a sudden, and we used to be able to just get a physical from the doctor or clinic of our choice. This year, they're bringing in people to do the physicals here. Apparently they'll be testing our BMI, cholesterol, blood-glucose, and :siren:tobacco and drug usage:siren:. Drug users are terminated, tobacco users have to pay double insurance premiums. Hopefully if I quit smoking literally today, it'll be cleared out of my system by the end of July and I'll still be able to afford my health insurance :smith:

Uh wow. On our health insurance plan you have to get a yearly physical, and if you are a smoker or have a BMI over 30 there are certain things you have to do or you will be forced into the lovely benefits category. If you are a smoker you have to go to smoking cessation classes and if you are overweight you have to either go to Weight Watchers or wear a pedometer. I don't know that you even HAVE to quit smoking or actually lose any weight, just have to demonstrate that you are trying. I used to think that was pretty harsh but I guess you've got me beat.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Uh wow. On our health insurance plan you have to get a yearly physical, and if you are a smoker or have a BMI over 30 there are certain things you have to do or you will be forced into the lovely benefits category. If you are a smoker you have to go to smoking cessation classes and if you are overweight you have to either go to Weight Watchers or wear a pedometer. I don't know that you even HAVE to quit smoking or actually lose any weight, just have to demonstrate that you are trying. I used to think that was pretty harsh but I guess you've got me beat.

Time for a trip to the Local paint shop. Have them shake up the pedometer for a bit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

Just got off the phone with the team leader for the non-technical portion of the interview. It went really well. They need to contact my references, then if im lucky I hope to have an offer soon.

:woop:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

m.hache posted:

Time for a trip to the Local paint shop. Have them shake up the pedometer for a bit.

Put it on your dog and play fetch.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

The correct model would be slight discounts for health goals met. This guy sounds like a shithead.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

blackswordca posted:

You know looking for other work is entrapment right

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Everything is still going to be your fault.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

guppy posted:

It took me several attempts to get him to tell me what it was he was trying to accomplish, so I could tell him if that cable would help. It turns out his son broke his DSi XL power adapter and he thought the connector looked like that. I've never owned any of the XLs, but I've owned every other model of DS ever released, and they all had proprietary adapters. I told him that, and that that wasn't going to work. Obviously it isn't my job to fix someone's DS, but whatever, I can do a quick favor. Having heard this reply, he stands there silently in my office staring at the cable.

I then have this conversation several more times, explaining each time that it will not work, that Nintendo uses nonstandard, proprietary connectors for their handhelds, but that yes, if he really wants to he can take that cable with him and test it. Each time I grow increasingly exasperated, and he asks me why I'm in a bad mood today. I wasn't before he walked in, but I reply that I don't like it when people walk in and help themselves to my equipment, and that I don't like it when people ask my advice and won't take it. He says "Okay, I won't come down anymore" and puts down the cable and walks out, clearly miffed, while I remind him that he's welcome to take the cable if he wants it.

I have conversations like this on a daily basis except it's about Apple products and no, Thunderbolt isn't "everywhere" (they often get it confused with USB). Or no, your little 5 volt 1 amp wall charger won't charge your iPad. I know it has a USB port on it and the iPad has a USB cable, that doesn't mean everything will magically work all the time. I've had the DS talk with people who eye my mini and micro usb cables too. "Oh, that looks just like it!" "I can tell you right now it won't work".

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

Quicksand's company called me up and wants to hire me for a new position for several clients in Edmonton. After two phone interviews, one was a couple of months ago, we are at the references stage.

Wooo

You better get this and I hope it's fantastic for you.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

m.hache posted:

I'd just like to pitch in a say gently caress Quickbooks and their file instability. My president continues to get Fatal Error crashes to desktop and the File Doctor tool just runs forever.

The support is the worst thing ever with estimated call waits at 2 loving hours.

And here's me to jump in and recommend you see if Xero suits your needs. Cloud based, so no files.

Also our support is entirely email based, which is actually better as you can send an email and go do something else with your time instead of sit and wait, and don't have to explain the same thing to 3 different people during phone tag etc.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

blackswordca posted:

Good luck man!

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

blackswordca posted:

Us lurkers are rooting for you too, man. If anyone deserves it, it's you.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Cavepimp posted:

Us lurkers are rooting for you too, man. If anyone deserves it, it's you.

Emptyquoting this one forever.

Just like with Dick Trauma and so many others through the years, we will lament the loss of good stories, but heartily celebrate your newfound successes.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

FreshFeesh posted:

Emptyquoting this one forever.

Just like with Dick Trauma and so many others through the years, we will lament the loss of good stories, but heartily celebrate your newfound successes.

ITS NOT FOUND YET DONT CURSE HIM

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's always a bigger Tony.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I honestly feel like I'm not quite knowledgeable enough for a IT support position, so I came up with an idea: You guys give mock scenarios (preferably based off what you did today or previously)and I'll try to figure them out. You guys don't have to do this if you don't want to. But it would help out alot to get some real world experience.

Anyway, back to LabSim!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

blackswordca posted:

Good luck!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Race Realists posted:

I honestly feel like I'm not quite knowledgeable enough for a IT support position, so I came up with an idea: You guys give mock scenarios (preferably based off what you did today or previously)and I'll try to figure them out. You guys don't have to do this if you don't want to. But it would help out alot to get some real world experience.

Anyway, back to LabSim!

Looking for desktop or server support and windows or other OS's?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Race Realists posted:

Anyway, back to LabSim!

Can you type a vaguely relevant query in to a Google search box?
Congratulations you have more than enough skills to begin in IT support. You can't hope to hold enough information in your head at all times to be able to fix problems. Instead you need to know where to look to find the solutions.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Varkk posted:

Can you type a vaguely relevant query in to a Google search box?
Congratulations you have more than enough skills to begin in IT support. You can't hope to hold enough information in your head at all times to be able to fix problems. Instead you need to know where to look to find the solutions.

This is the truth. I got a nice promotion to our NOC from support years ago because in the interview, I answered honestly, "I don't know what that means, I would have to google it."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Race Realists posted:

Anyway, back to LabSim!

Customer has a large number of mapped drives, all from various folders on a high-end Synology NAS.

These drives show up in Windows Explorer, but you can't get to them from a command prompt.

Other applications are hit-and-miss. Some see the drives, some don't.

Windows Server 2008.

What's wrong?

kensei posted:

This is the truth. I got a nice promotion to our NOC from support years ago because in the interview, I answered honestly, "I don't know what that means, I would have to google it."

There's so much truth to this. Never say "I don't know".

Say "I'm not completely, but I think it's X, and I could find out for sure by doing Y." Hell, even "I could Google it" is better than nothing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

This is way worse than just admitting you have no idea. I would way rather give access to my storage/databases to someone that had no idea and knew that they had no idea than to someone that thought that could figure it out without exhaustively looking it up or bullshit me about it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This is way worse than just admitting you have no idea. I would way rather give access to my storage/databases to someone that had no idea and knew that they had no idea than to someone that thought that could figure it out without exhaustively looking it up or bullshit me about it.

Well you obviously don't hire someone who doesn't know anything at all.

It's very important to know how to figure things out. Far too many people have no idea how to do that. It's a valuable skill.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Well you obviously don't hire someone who doesn't know anything at all.

It's very important to know how to figure things out. Far too many people have no idea how to do that. It's a valuable skill.

I would hire someone with some generally related knowledge that didn't try to lie during the interview over the person that went with "never say 'I don't know'".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would hire someone with some generally related knowledge that didn't try to lie during the interview over the person that went with "never say 'I don't know'".

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I find the ability to think through a problem and discover solutions to be a very, very valuable skill in coworkers and subordinates. There's nothing wrong with expressing ignorance but you should always be willing to find a way to overcome that ignorance.

"I don't know, but I can find out by doing X" is vastly superior to "I don't know" in my book.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Customer has a large number of mapped drives, all from various folders on a high-end Synology NAS.

These drives show up in Windows Explorer, but you can't get to them from a command prompt.

Windows Server 2008.

What's wrong?

.... gently caress...

this is gonna be awhile...

EDIT: Umm, check try to log in as Admin and check the permissions? shot in the dark here

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 22, 2014

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

ConfusedUs posted:

Windows Server 2008.

What's wrong?

Say "I'm not completely, but I think it's X, and I could find out for sure by doing Y." Hell, even "I could Google it" is better than nothing.

The combination of Race's original comment and your scenario made me want to go make an IT Support/Sysadmin RPG/Life Simulator.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Malkar posted:

The combination of Race's original comment and your scenario made me want to go make an IT Support/Sysadmin RPG/Life Simulator.

Distribute levels as GNS3 modules.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Race Realists posted:

EDIT: Umm, check try to log in as Admin and check the permissions? shot in the dark here

Running program X as admin (including cmd.exe) doesn't seem to make a difference on if it can see the drives or not. If it could before, it still can. If it couldn't, it still cannot.

Same story if you log on as an Admin.

Hint: It has to deal with how Windows handles authentication tokens.

Malkar posted:

You are a senior tech. A junior tech on your team has enabled auditing on one of your client's servers. What do you do?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

You are a senior tech. A junior tech on your team has enabled auditing on one of your client's servers. What do you do?

Get him written up for entrapment.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

:siren:You win!:siren:

Seriously that's my favorite story from every incarnation of this thread. Dick Trauma had better storytelling skills, but nothing matches the sheer WTF that blackswordca provides.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Paladine_PSoT posted:

We can have multiple difficulty levels.

Blackswordca
Dick Trauma
DAF (also doubles as a SOCIAL JUSTICE SIMULATOR)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Being out for a funeral (so no one would dare call me) on the day some big wigs from our parent company needed to be set up on our ticketing system was kind of nice. I got to watch all the snippy emails back and forth when they couldn't connect to the database that's on a different domain from them. Either the 2nd level tech isn't following the instructions I sent them (I'm level 1 yet somehow manage our ticketing system and constantly tell our 2nd levels how to do things.) or the DBA is wrong about giving them the right access. I happened to check my email but I'm staying silent, they can figure it out on their own while I'm out the rest of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Running program X as admin (including cmd.exe) doesn't seem to make a difference on if it can see the drives or not. If it could before, it still can. If it couldn't, it still cannot.

Same story if you log on as an Admin.

Hint: It has to deal with how Windows handles authentication tokens.

Did a little bit of googling.

regedit > EnableLinkedConnections? Cold or hot here?

• Locked thread