Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No More Heroes posted:

Gas thread ban 80,000 word OP's. With Lyssa dead does that mean Peter is Lord of the Vale? Or is that little titty-sucker Robin lord? If so I would imagine he'll be the next one out the Moon Door..

Trigger warning: succession chat

Sweetrobin is the Lord of the Vale and has been since his father's death in the first season. Littlefinger will, presumably, become Lord Protector of the Vale in Lysa's stead until the boy comes of age, but he has ZERO claim on the Eyrie. In the event of Sweetrobin's death, Lordship will pass to the next Arryn heir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

No More Heroes posted:

Gas thread ban 80,000 word OP's. With Lyssa dead does that mean Peter is Lord of the Vale? Or is that little titty-sucker Robin lord? If so I would imagine he'll be the next one out the Moon Door..

Robyn is still Lord of the Vale, and has been since Jon Arryn died, but Petyr has set himself up as whatever the non-royal equivalent of regent is.

e:f;b

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Speaking of succession chat:

I'm guessing Cercei is currently Tywin's heir (assuming Tyrion either gets Mountain'ed or otherwise removed from the line of succession), what happens after her? Would it go to Tommen, or back to another Lannister?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For once I watched the preview and I'm concerned now that Sansa will do a Stupid Thing again and rat on Littlefinger and the unsubstantiated hatred of her becomes a little more substantiated.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Speaking of succession chat:

I'm guessing Cercei is currently Tywin's heir (assuming Tyrion either gets Mountain'ed or otherwise removed from the line of succession), what happens after her? Would it go to Tommen, or back to another Lannister?

It'd be Tommen. Tywin is probably not happy with this because Tommen is a Baratheon by name.

Though I'm still not sure if Cercei, as the daughter, inherits ahead of Kevan, as the brother. I don't think anything in the show has indicated who will succeed Tywin other than that he wants it to be Jaime and not Tyrion.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tenebrais posted:

It'd be Tommen. Tywin is probably not happy with this because Tommen is a Baratheon by name.

Of course, Tommen could give it to a Lannister of his choice, like Robert gave the Baratheon seat to Renly after he became king. It just wouldn't be Tywin's line like Tywin wants.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Lycus posted:

Of course, Tommen could give it to a Lannister of his choice, like Robert gave the Baratheon seat to Renly after he became king. It just wouldn't be Tywin's line like Tywin wants.

Pretty sure he gave it to Stannis. Renly's claim to the throne was 100% illegitimate and only worked at all because of his charisma.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. Robert was a dick.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 21, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bobo the Red posted:

Pretty sure he gave it to Stannis. Renly's claim to the throne was 100% illegitimate and only worked at all because of his charisma.
No, he gave it to Renly. Stannis got Dragonstone.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

precision posted:

If we're now seriously saying that quality of prose doesn't matter in fiction then please close the thread forever because what the actual gently caress.

Pretentious ivory tower intellectual spotted.

I mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a bunch of fantasy literature fans don't think quality of prose matters, or even know what the word prose means.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

kiimo posted:

For once I watched the preview and I'm concerned now that Sansa will do a Stupid Thing again and rat on Littlefinger and the unsubstantiated hatred of her becomes a little more substantiated.

It would be a pleasant change for her to do something, anything rather than be carried along by the winds of fate like she has for four seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If IMDB is to be trusted, Gendry does not in fact appear at all this season. Not once.

:negative:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

precision posted:

If IMDB is to be trusted, Gendry does not in fact appear at all this season. Not once.

:negative:

You have gotten better at Rowing! (100)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Maybe GOT has been slow to update future episode casts in order to not inadvertently give away a spoiler?

At least that's what I'll be holding on to. Not having even one scene with him this whole season would be a mistake.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
e: gently caress it, its only Wednesday

TheWordOfTheDayIs fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 21, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

IMDB is rarely accurate about future things, it's just user submitted information after all.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
HBO is pretty tight-lipped too. I mean, we know Tyrion is still alive by episode 10 because his name is in the description of that episode. So IMDB tells us some stuff, but they're not getting as much information to publicly release as most other, non-HBO companies will throw at them. We can also tell that episode 9 is about the battle between the Night's Watch and the Wildings because it's also literally in the IMDB description.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shadow posted:

Maybe GOT has been slow to update future episode casts in order to not inadvertently give away a spoiler?

At least that's what I'll be holding on to. Not having even one scene with him this whole season would be a mistake.

A character casting isn't really a spoiler unless it is someone you just don't expect to ever see again for whatever reason, or I guess the result of a battle. And we've known for months what the casting will be for some new characters from this season.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

HBO is pretty tight-lipped too. I mean, we know Tyrion is still alive by episode 10 because his name is in the description of that episode. So IMDB tells us some stuff, but they're not getting as much information to publicly release as most other, non-HBO companies will throw at them. We can also tell that episode 9 is about the battle between the Night's Watch and the Wildings because it's also literally in the IMDB description.

What if there's a flash-back or recap, doesn't this also imply that the actor's name shows up in the credits?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know, if the Total War series has taught me anything it's that a spearman on foot is inferior to a heavy swordsman on foot. I'm spoilering this just in case recognizing that shot of Oberyn with a spear from before the season started and knowing he will use one next episode freaks people out. So the next battle should be interesting

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

marktheando posted:

I mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a bunch of fantasy literature fans don't think quality of prose matters, or even know what the word prose means.

Prose cost like three hundred dollares an hour, right?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
No, if you want a make a good adaptation on HBO you need at least some prose working for you.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

precision posted:

If we're now seriously saying that quality of prose doesn't matter in fiction then please close the thread forever because what the actual gently caress.

marktheando posted:

What does the word prose mean and why is its quality important in fiction?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

precision posted:

Then tell me what's wrong with GRRM's *~prose~*. I mean, I asked on the last page and no one's told me what's bad about it yet.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
:ughh:

So...... anyway, last week's episode was nice. It was really emotional seeing Tyrion's reaction to Oberyn's story of their first meeting. And while it continues to expose what a gigantic bitch Cersei is, it also told us that Jaime's been Tyrion's protective older brother and has loved him since the very beginning. Then again when wanting to get him laid (though that didn't end well). And then again when he challenges Ned and his posse due to Cat kidnapping Tyrion.

Tyrion should be nicer to Jaime. He really does care about him. :)

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
This was one of the best episodes of the series, as it had so many great well-acted character moments that were consistent with their relationships and really make the show come alive. Tyrion-Jaime and Tyrion-Bronn were very nice capstones to those couplings and Tyrion-Oberyn was sublime. Hot Pie's send-off was a surprisingly good callback, and I like his choosing of what to say in public vs. private. Sandor + Arya was great, as usual, and they revealed more of Sandor without going back on his character. Even Alliser + Jon + other Night's Watch was decent, showing us the middle management culture of a guy like Alliser, who's not actively evil, but feeling insecure and threatened and acting totally understandably given his tenuous position.

There were some clunkers, like Gregor's silly scene, and Dany's scenes in general, but overall this is the kind of episode that makes the show. The big flashy eps are only interesting because they are set up so well by moments like the ones here.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fugue Stater posted:

This was one of the best episodes of the series, as it had so many great well-acted character moments that were consistent with their relationships and really make the show come alive. Tyrion-Jaime and Tyrion-Bronn were very nice capstones to those couplings and Tyrion-Oberyn was sublime. Hot Pie's send-off was a surprisingly good callback, and I like his choosing of what to say in public vs. private. Sandor + Arya was great, as usual, and they revealed more of Sandor without going back on his character. Even Alliser + Jon + other Night's Watch was decent, showing us the middle management culture of a guy like Alliser, who's not actively evil, but feeling insecure and threatened and acting totally understandably given his tenuous position.

There were some clunkers, like Gregor's silly scene, and Dany's scenes in general, but overall this is the kind of episode that makes the show. The big flashy eps are only interesting because they are set up so well by moments like the ones here.

Yeah, echoing posts made already about the Mountain, that was some of the most annoyingly over-the-top camera work the show has done. It was beyond unnecessary and flat out cheesy. Hmm, how do we make this 6'9 guy seem tall next to this 5'6 or whatever woman?

CAMERA TRICKS!

Seriously, upon a second viewing, all I could think was "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum"

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

marktheando posted:

The argument that pop culture should be judged on its own merits, or by social criteria as opposed to aesthetic norms that emanate from the ruling class, came from and is still almost completely exclusive to the academy.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Great Enoch posted:

The argument that pop culture should be judged on its own merits, or by social criteria as opposed to aesthetic norms that emanate from the ruling class, came from and is still almost completely exclusive to the academy.

Is this guy serious?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Great Enoch posted:

There you go, there's some impenetrable prose for you.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Goast posted:

Is this guy serious?

Sure, there are other arguments against snobbery, but that particular one doesn't really exist outside the academy (see above). Point being that the 'ivory tower' card isn't really helpful (or that accurate) in these discussions.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
I can't wait to see what he says next. I hope HBO options this show.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Making the IMDB entry right now.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Shadow posted:

Yeah, echoing posts made already about the Mountain, that was some of the most annoyingly over-the-top camera work the show has done. It was beyond unnecessary and flat out cheesy. Hmm, how do we make this 6'9 guy seem tall next to this 5'6 or whatever woman?

CAMERA TRICKS!

Seriously, upon a second viewing, all I could think was "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum"

Bring back S1 Mountain :colbert:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think he's fine for the most part, but that first shot comes off as less :black101: and more 'wow there's a man on my sword, I did that?'

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Having read only the first book:

GRRM's sentence structure tends to need a little work, he occasionally over-uses ellipses (i.e. uses them ever), and all of the characters are written as one-dimensional, as opposed to the nuanced performances we get out of the show (with the help of a very occasional new or slightly different scene).

In the first book, the Lannisters are cartoonishly arrogant villains (although nothing is written from their POV and I am sure that will change). Many characters come off as being dumber than a bag of rocks. Ned looks like a total moron and is actually told that he is a moron by pretty much everyone on the small council. Rather than being forced into each of his decisions by circumstance or even by his idea of honor, he comes off as objectively dumb, always having an Option Smart and an Option Dumb and doing the latter. Catelyn is no better; in the show she comes off like the voice of reason, in the book she is impulsive and anxious.

It's easy to criticize the writing from my armchair when writing novels is a lot of work. But I generally think the show elevates the material, combining strong writing and acting with the strong world and overall plot arcs.

The first season is better than the first book character-wise. I think the show nails the Lannisters perfectly, better than the books. Other characters, like Ned, Robert, Arya, Robb, Sandor and Catelyn are also done better in the show than in the books. But most of the other characters are way better in the books, mostly due to the fact that the show doesn't have enough time to develop them, but acting ability also plays a role. I watched the first three seasons of the show before reading the books and I found myself enjoying the first book, but didn't really get hooked until I got to the second. I guess you can say this was mainly due to the fact that the second book is quite different from the second season and there was a lot more stuff cut out, but I also think it was because Martin's skills as a writer had improved.

I think GRRM is a great author and the brilliance of the third book pretty much shows what he's capable of when he's really "on". The third book is by far the best. There is a drop in in quality in the fourth and fifth books, but they are still really good reads. I plowed through them so quickly.

GRRM is an interesting author because he sort of combines two styles, that of fantasy and that of historical fiction. Yes, I know it's all fiction, but a lot of the political intrigue is, in tone, pretty close to what you would read in a Robert Graves' "I, Claudius", and the whole Lannister/Stark rivalry is earily similar to the War of the Roses Lancaster/York rivalry. When you compare him to other note-able historical fiction authors, ie. James Michener, he falls rather short. But when you compare him to other note-able fantasy writers, ie JK Rowling or Robert Jordan, he's pretty much at their level, maybe even above. He's way better than the average D&D fantasy writer, ie R.A. Salvatore.

The only fantasy author I've read that clearly surpasses him is Tolkien. But, when you think of it, Tolkien was also writing his stories as historical fiction rather than as fantasy, only his method was much more old fashioned. Tolkien's fantasy books actually read like translated ancient texts that were part of a greater mythology. GRRM's fantasy books reads more like modern historical fiction and don't come across as a mythology.

Just to be clear, I prefer historical fiction over fantasy, so perhaps my opinion is biased in that regard. But I don't think it's a coincidence that two of the most popular fantasy authors, GRRM and Tolkien, both chose to write their fantasy as historical fiction rather than straight up fantasy.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 22, 2014

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

gently caress the king books.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

midnightclimax posted:

Are the white walkers explained in the books (origins etc), or are they just "generic undead monsters"?

The show has revealed more about them than the books have. Actually, in the books they're called "the others", but the show changed them to "white walkers" to avoid any confusion with the show Lost and their "others". I guess they didn't see Walking Dead coming. But they're not zombies. The white walkers are like a whole 'nother race of sentient beings that we know very little about.

Don't confuse them with the Wights though, the undead zombies that Jon fought off in castle black. They seem to be your classic slow walking mindless zombies, but then you have a dude like Berick Dundarion who's undead but seems to be pretty human with some rad scars and some memory loss. Very little is known about how sentient the undead truly are in this show.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 22, 2014

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Gianthogweed posted:

The show has revealed more about them than the books have. Actually, in the books they're called "the others", but the show changed them to "white walkers" to avoid any confusion with the show Lost and their "others". I guess they didn't see Walking Dead coming. But they're not zombies. The wights are pretty much mindless zombies (the dead guys that came back to life), but the white walkers are like a whole 'nother race of sentient beings that we know very little about.

And I hope they stay that way in both books and show. Give them no Bond villainesque monologue about their fiendish plans or have the Night's Watch find some ancient tome or forgotten diary explaining their origins. The only things we should know about them is that they want to kill everyone and bring on an eternal winter.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Azzents posted:

And I hope they stay that way in both books and show. Give them no Bond villainesque monologue about their fiendish plans or have the Night's Watch find some ancient tome or forgotten diary explaining their origins. The only things we should know about them is that they want to kill everyone and bring on an eternal winter.

Hell, maybe that's not even what they want (after all, they may need human babies to reproduce). But we shouldn't learn that either.

Edit: Guys don't worry so much about the new Mountain, he has a pretty good chance of being very dead very soon.

Even better than everyone else, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Xealot posted:

I'd forgotten how much I loved the Tywin / Arya interaction in that season. It's actually a great counter-example to the argument that new plotlines written just for the show are bad; my understanding is that Arya never met Tywin at Harrenhal, and that whole plot was new.

Not really. They just substituted Roose Bolton for Tywin for most of those scenes. But there was some new dialog, and I agree it was great.

• Locked thread