Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm assuming this is arson-related and the guy wasn't just tossing around amphetamine derivatives?

They aren't telling us much at this point, other than directing all questions at the State DoJ. But yeah, likely Arson.

also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
yeah probably gasoline.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Some pensions are kinda ridiculous and if you can't understand that you're being willfully obtuse.

First against the wall, shep, first against the wall.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Branis posted:

yeah probably gasoline.

I'm still trying to figure out this dude's thought process. Torch a cops house and ??? Be masked while inside? Seems like there might have been better ways to do that.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Phuzzy posted:

I'm still trying to figure out this dude's thought process. Torch a cops house and ??? Be masked while inside? Seems like there might have been better ways to do that.

He's either a fan of Breaking Bad or he was just returning some gas that he'd borrowed. Shame it got him killed, trigger happy cops and all.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
Florida pensions are a loving scam, they always have been. Retire at 25 years, but spend the last 5 years on duty working as much OT as possible for a total of 30 years. Oh and retiring with 97% of your salary from the average of those five years. Not to mention the retirement money you got that just got flooded with interest over those 5 years. :gonk:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Since it seems like I've survived posting an unbelievable pun earlier...

DrakeriderCa posted:

Mine is the same. Of course, we have a designated contribution plan as opposed to a designated benefit plan, so ours is much more ~*~*free market*~*~ and isn't really much of a burden on taxpayers since they are just sharing the contribution costs and letting the market pay for inflation.

~~Free Market~~ or not you at least know where the money is and how much is there. Canada caveat and all (I'm assuming it's similar) but in the US your investments in these cases are significantly protected from any troubles of the holding company. I'm probably using inexact terms here but if your 401(k) or similar is full of, say, Fidelity mutual funds, and Fidelity does something unbelievably dumb and goes tits up, you'll just get the underlying shares and the difference in value between what you get and the fund's NAV should be trivial.

As opposed to public pensions which aren't held to the legal standards of private ones, you often have no idea how much money is there and what share of it is 'yours' and where a lot of public servants (including ex-cops) in places like Detroit, parts of Cali, soon to be Chicago, etc etc are finding out fund mismanagement and underfunding leading to bankruptcy mean their pension paychecks have gone up in smoke. Someone's going to come along and say 'but it's constitutionally guaranteed, they'll just have to raise taxes etc etc" but that's exactly what Detroit's seeing and, well, it don't do poo poo when the taxbase says "gently caress this" and leaves.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I just wish Virginia would stop using the state pension contributions as a politician slush fund and giving ious in return. Two years ago the state had a "surplus", although no one bothered to mention it was mostly at the expense of not paying the pension contribution in full.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

This makes me want to kick Rich Karlgaard in the dick.

How dare a public servant actually enjoy retirement after busting their rear end for 30 fuckin years.

And yea, you have people who gamed the system to make fat rear end cash while sitting on their porch drinking scotch at 10 in the morning while planning their day around Matlock and bingo at the Moose Lodge. Lets bitch about that because CEOs and investment bankers never screwed someone for a sweet retirement package.

Cum guzzling gently caress wit.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Gay cop kills wife:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/05/20/michael-jace-wife-found-dead-the-shield-actor-in-custody/

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

SPOILERS! I'm only on season five, dick.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

This makes me want to kick Rich Karlgaard in the dick.

How dare a public servant actually enjoy retirement after busting their rear end for 30 fuckin years.

And yea, you have people who gamed the system to make fat rear end cash while sitting on their porch drinking scotch at 10 in the morning while planning their day around Matlock and bingo at the Moose Lodge. Lets bitch about that because CEOs and investment bankers never screwed someone for a sweet retirement package.

Cum guzzling gently caress wit.

I mean that sounds good to say and all, but you gotta look at it in the context of everyone else in the country, almost none of which are confident they'll be able to enjoy retirement after busting their asses for 30,40,50 years, with that uncertainty at least partially because of public policy decisions regarding those public pensions.*

But again, it's at least partially moot, because that fat pension money largely isn't there. I figure this is nonpartisan enough that people can get an idea of the funding gap. And even those numbers are usually based on ridiculously optimistic estimated returns of 8% or more (and crazy low inflation numbers for COLA). Private pension funds are barred by law from using numbers that optimistic in their estimates. That leads to the earlier asterisk; the further these pension funds get behind, the bigger and bigger risks the fund managers have to take to chase return, and when you have these absolutely enormous pools of money (CalPERS alone is nearly $300 billion, but needs another $200B just to meet current commitments) taking ridiculously risky gambles, it dicks with the entire national economy in negative ways. It should go without saying that they can't possibly win all those bets, leading fund managers to double down again, etc...

Basically if you're thinking "My union is great because it secures me these swell pension benefits" it's worth looking at what actually backs those bennies up, and if the union is actually loving you by denying you other options (like private funds and defined contribution) that might be smaller on paper but are at least in your own sphere of control.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I work for an actuarial firm whose biggest client is CalPERS incidentally, I'm too busy right now to effortpost on it (and not sure how much I should really say) but uh, yeah...it's not very well managed. At all. It's downright aggravating. And it's also not unusual. Public (especially municipal) pension plans in general suffer from politicians figuring they can promise pension benefits now and someone else will be paying for them later; as a result they tend to be both very generous and underfunded.

The short version is, Roth IRAs are your friend. Start one.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I wish I had the option to opt out of our pension and just have my investment contributions matched but I can't. :(

Oh well. Honestly it isn't that bad. Could have no pension at all.

Stalez
Jun 27, 2003
20 dollars my ass
Two foot chases in two days. Lost the first one. Made up for it and got the second one. The second came with a DWI, vehicle seizure, Resisting, Use of force, refusal of all tests and then a warrant for a blood draw. That all took place at 0330.

It's not even summer yet. So tired.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Oh look at the big guy caught a dude who couldn't walk in a straight line.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Haven't had a call in like a week. So bored.

Where's whip?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 21, 2014

Stalez
Jun 27, 2003
20 dollars my ass

Grem posted:

Oh look at the big guy caught a dude who couldn't walk in a straight line.

We don't know if he could walk a straight line, he wouldn't do my tests. :derp:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Where's whip?

He went to poo poo and the hogs ate him :rip:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Dirt floors? Um, no thank you sir :rolleyes:

VVVVV that's me, the Mexican in the hat :ese:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Somebody call La Migra that picture is full of illegals

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

beanieson posted:

VVVVV that's me, the Mexican in the hat :ese:

i didn't recognise you with your clothes on

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Hezzy posted:

i didn't recognise you with your clothes on

:drat:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What are some good cop shows? I hear The Wire is excellent

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Pacific Blue and Silk Stalkings.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

No joke, Miami Vice is a legitimately good show.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
South land best is the cop show ever.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Branis posted:

South land best is the cop show ever.

This but I loving hated how it ended.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Yeah I wish they had been picked up for another season. At least Ben is coming back in gotham city

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'll check all of those out. What's Gotham City?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
It's a new show coming out this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI

it's a pre batman gotham crime show about Jim Gordon.

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur
Holy crap, that looks awesome. I hope it lives up to the bar that trailer set.

Seconding Southland. I never bothered to watch the finale because I heard it was a big letdown but the run of that show was one of those MUST watch tv nights for me.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

:derp:WERE GETTIN AN MRAP:derp:

:derp:MILITARIZATION OF POLICE:derp:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Has your department made the pool for when/where MRAP crash happens?
I'm guessing....crash/1st time parking it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
TRAGEDY STRUCK BEANIEVILLE TODAY AS A SEEMINGLY OUT OF CONTROL POLICE TANK CAREENED INTO THE PIGGLY WIGGLY

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

TRAGEDY STRUCK BEANIEVILLE TODAY AS A SEEMINGLY OUT OF CONTROL POLICE TANK CAREENED INTO THE PIGGLY WIGGLY

MANY DONUTS DIED ON THE SCENE. PARAMEDICS WERE STATED AS BEING "FULL".

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I said Piggly Wiggly, thank god the Krispy Kreme next door was spared

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

I said Piggly Wiggly, thank god the Krispy Kreme next door was spared

KRISPY KREME AND WAFFLEHOUSE TAKEN IN FOR QUESTIONING.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Snowdens Secret posted:

thank god the Krispy Kreme next door was spared

the real tragedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

TRAGEDY STRUCK BEANIEVILLE TODAY AS A SEEMINGLY OUT OF CONTROL POLICE TANK CAREENED INTO BEANIE ACRES

• Locked thread