Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

poisonpill posted:

Has anyone done a few days through the Grand Canyon? I'm gearing up for early fall but I'd like to buy my new tent/sleeping bags while the REI sale is on. I want to cut weight but not have to fear rain, sudden cold, and all the other horrors of nature out there. Recommendations between the Double Rainbow mentioned above, the REI lightweight Tent, or the MSR Hubba Hubba (or even Mother Hubba? How bad do those extra pounds get going down and up again?)?

I bought a 3-person tent a little while ago, and I have to say that if I were to do it all again I'd get a 2-person instead. Sure the weight divvies up well if you fill it up, and it makes sense if you're in a relationship and have a kid or a dog and you know that you're going to use the room. But otherwise I've found that people often prefer pairing up or going solo - and so the extra room gets wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

poisonpill posted:

Has anyone done a few days through the Grand Canyon? I'm gearing up for early fall but I'd like to buy my new tent/sleeping bags while the REI sale is on. I want to cut weight but not have to fear rain, sudden cold, and all the other horrors of nature out there. Recommendations between the Double Rainbow mentioned above, the REI lightweight Tent, or the MSR Hubba Hubba (or even Mother Hubba? How bad do those extra pounds get going down and up again?)?
A pound is a pound. You may not feel the difference when you're trying something the store, but you will after a long day the trail when you've picked up that extra pound thousands of times over all those steps. All else being equal, get the lightest and least bulky option.

Is a freestanding tent useful to you? If you plan to camp in a lot of loose sand, like in the desert, you'll probably want one, which the Hubba Hubba is, and double rainbow is not. If that's not a concern, I'd go for the double rainbow (single wall = lighter/smaller).

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yes, that confirms my fears for the extra couple pounds. I imagine it'll get bad, even split between two, carrying 4 pounds each instead of two. Also, yeah, I'll want a freestanding tent in case of dust, wind, or rocky grounds. The tents I've been looking at that are freestanding under four pounds include the MSR HB, the Sierra Designs Lightning, and the REI quarter-dome. Each of them fit two people (barely but that's fine) and reviews seem positive for all of them. The Sierra Designs is made of higher denier nylon; both the MSR and Sierra pack extremely compactly; and the MSR seems to offer the best protection from the elements. The REI is the cheapest option, although I'm not sure I want to compromise on the tent.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

poisonpill posted:

Not sure what the weather is like in the early fall out there but you can also easily do the Grand Canyon without a tent. Granted I've done it in May but it's mild enough and doesn't rain enough that you can get by with just a tarp for the ground or to rig up for a shelter if it does rain. Have to keep an eye on the forecast before you go though obviously

e: what are you looking for in terms of protection from the elements? Like a large vestibule to stow gear or what? Again, weather should be pretty mild in general in the fall with the daytime heat being the biggest concern and it's pretty unlikely you're going to get hit with a huge storm or something. If you want extra space to stow stuff that's one thing but even my dad's little single wall Tarp Tent Moment stood up fine to a huge 6 hour rain and hail storm in the Sierra's.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 20, 2014

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

poisonpill posted:

Yes, that confirms my fears for the extra couple pounds. I imagine it'll get bad, even split between two, carrying 4 pounds each instead of two. Also, yeah, I'll want a freestanding tent in case of dust, wind, or rocky grounds. The tents I've been looking at that are freestanding under four pounds include the MSR HB, the Sierra Designs Lightning, and the REI quarter-dome. Each of them fit two people (barely but that's fine) and reviews seem positive for all of them. The Sierra Designs is made of higher denier nylon; both the MSR and Sierra pack extremely compactly; and the MSR seems to offer the best protection from the elements. The REI is the cheapest option, although I'm not sure I want to compromise on the tent.

Don't know if its in your budget, but take a look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3. As a three person tent it would be mighty cozy. But as a two person you would each have plenty of room. I have the two person version of this tent and love the ease of setup and construction quality.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I've heard it can get pretty unpredictable in there. Strong winds leading to a monsoon shower one day, with a hazy heat the next day. We'll be moving camp a few times as well, which makes me appreciate the Sierra Design and REI tents' quick set up and takedown. Conditions inside the Canyon can be completely different than on the rims, and generally more severe. My biggest concern is heat, followed by rain.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
In the west August is particularly bad for monsoon weather. It will rain pretty much every day in the higher country between 3-5pm. The upside is that it's gorgeous 'til about 2:30 and clears up immediately afterwards. If you're going later than that it's more stable since the days aren't as hot.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

HarryPurvis posted:

Don't know if its in your budget, but take a look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3. As a three person tent it would be mighty cozy. But as a two person you would each have plenty of room. I have the two person version of this tent and love the ease of setup and construction quality.

I was about to suggest the same thing.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I like the look of that big agnes a lot. Gonna go test out the Sierra Designs Flash 2 UL and the Big Agnes UL2. I don't mind getting cozy in a 2-person tent since it'll be going up and down 5,000 ft and I have a larger tent already for base camps. I just need to make sure they'll fit me in the first place! I'll let you know how it works out.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

poisonpill posted:

I like the look of that big agnes a lot. Gonna go test out the Sierra Designs Flash 2 UL and the Big Agnes UL2. I don't mind getting cozy in a 2-person tent since it'll be going up and down 5,000 ft and I have a larger tent already for base camps. I just need to make sure they'll fit me in the first place! I'll let you know how it works out.

Just taking a quick look at the specs the Big Agnes Copper Spur is over a pound lighter than the Sierra Designs Flash 2. Unless it's much more comfortable or better priced the Big Agnes comes out ahead.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I have a Copper Spur UL1 and it goes together so fast and simply.

The only gripe is all the stakes needed to stake it out well in bad weather, but that's pretty common with such small tents.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I have a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL3 and we love it. It sounds like the tents you guys are talking about are a little more expensive and a little lighter, but we got ours for like $280 from REI a year or so ago and it has been great. I like pretty much any of the Big Agnes stuff we have.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

We didn't get the Grand Canyon permit this year, but we're cleared to do Half Dome in July. Is it recommended to do that climb in a few days, while we backpack around the valley?

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
My girlfriend and I did a two-night rim to rim (south to north) hike in late August last year, right when there was a major tropical storm system moving over the canyon. We were pummeled by rain and lightning, we saw portions of the trail washed away, and we encountered numerous fallen boulders in the middle of the trail with recent splash patterns visible in the mud. It was no goddamn joke, though you can probably check the weather report before you leave and have some idea of what you'll be in for. The back-country ranger station will have good canyon-specific weather information as well.

You don't have to worry about rocky ground in the NP camp sites, they're well-maintained and have flat tent pads that are clay or gravel. Our tent is a Quarter Dome T2 Plus, which is not the lightest tent by any stretch, but is roomy enough for us to sleep comfortably and stands up well to rain and wind, with big vestibules to keep our packs dry as well.

oh poo poo what are we getting ourselves into

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Goddamn shipping Harmony House to Canada costs an arm and a leg. If only in-home freeze drying was as cheap and easy as dehydrating. :saddowns:

Pulled the trigger on a MomentDW though, my backpacking outfit is finally 100% complete. Aside Gear Protip: heat shrink wrap for windows makes a bombproof transparent tarp for hammocks, a fantastic ground sheet for tents, costs $10 and weighs nothing. This is what those Gossamer Gear polycro ground sheets are made from, but they wanted $40 to ship one to Canada.

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 22, 2014

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What is the name of those waterproof pack covers? Definitely need to grab two for our packs.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

khysanth posted:

What is the name of those waterproof pack covers? Definitely need to grab two for our packs.

Sea to Summit pack covers. They're awesome and easy to quickly wrangle around your bag in adverse conditions, though I bought them under duress and there are probably cheaper options out there that are just as effective.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Everything Sea to Summit is great but I feel like it's all twice the cost it should be. Thanks for that picture, by the way! If it's ok with you I'd like to use it to prove to my fellow campers that, "YES, we are going to need to consider rain."

The Sierra Designs tent is on sale for $250 and it totally fits me and another person so I'm going to grab it.

How was the water situation? I'm thinking every person should be able to carry 4L, which should be enough to get us from water source to source.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Everything Sea to Summit is great but I feel like it's all twice the cost it should be. Thanks for that picture, by the way! If it's ok with you I'd like to use it to prove to my fellow campers that, "YES, we are going to need to consider rain."

The Sierra Designs tent is on sale for $250 and it totally fits me and another person so I'm going to grab it.

How was the water situation? I'm thinking every person should be able to carry 4L, which should be enough to get us from water source to source.

Feel free to share the pic. What trails will you be hiking and in what direction? There's drinking water along the Bright Angel and North Kaibab trails, but none on South Kaibab. Depending on the weather, you may want to avoid climbing from the river to rim on that trail, even with 4L of water.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Vivian Darkbloom, you can totally summit Half Dome as a day hike from the valley floor. It's something like 16 miles round trip and 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Not terrible.

As for pack covers, I've always preferred to just use a trash compactor back as a pack liner, with the top rolled down inside the backpack.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, I guess that's not so bad, since I'll have a daypack instead of a full backpack.

Eugenics
Mar 25, 2007
Because I'm better than you
Just got back from Mt. Whitney Mountaineers Route. Started up at 3ish PM and basically got dumped on with snow the whole way up. The trail and all foot prints were covered with snow so we lost our way(i think) going the alternate route opposite the Ebersbacher ledges. The ledges looked sketchy as hell with fresh powder, even though we had rope/harness/trad pro and decided to skip. We got to lower boyscout lake at 6 something and just said gently caress it and made camp. At that point snow was pouring down and I was noticing some slight altitude effects.

The next morning we head off with day packs to upper boyscout lake, bushwhacking a bit because of the absence of a trail. Upper boyscout lake comes and goes, a dinky lake completely exposed. Must suck to camp here when the weather is bad. On to iceberg lake. We get to iceberg lake or something at 12. The reason I say this is because it must be iced over and topped with snow because there's no lake anywhere to be seen. We turn around and head down the mountain.

Oh well. Failed summit of the Mountaineers Route. There was literally nobody else on the mountain except us.

If you're part of the group we met coming down while we were going up. I couldn't find your red snowshoes. Sorry!

lower boyscout lake

lower boyscout lake

Eugenics fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 23, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

That third photo rules.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That looks like it was a blast

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Submit the full res of that third photo to a Nat Geo contest or something, that is sick.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
This thread is making me feel like spending $1000 on equipment.

jb7 posted:

I had to explain the other day why jeans are usually a dumb choice for hiking :downs:

Tell me more. Should I buy... hiking pants? :( I wear old, torn jeans on hikes when the weather is colder (shorts otherwise, obviously). Just stuff I can ruin and not worry about, basically.

edit: posted awhile ago about Anza-Borrego and Joshua Tree without a post-trip report. I loved the isolation and vastness of the former - very peaceful, quiet, barely saw anyone. Joshua Tree, however, was a few miles away from an urban area and the air quality was so-so. Lots of people. Also, graffiti was on some of the rocks. Great trip. I loving love the desert.

Telesphorus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 23, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jeans are kinda silly because they're heavy, and horrible if you get them wet.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

However, people have been hiking in jeans for over a century. If you like hiking in jeans, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Modern gear is really nice, but it's not a necessity.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hey people who are familiar with the Sierra's and JMT, I'm looking to add 2 days into my current JMT itinerary and am looking for suggestions for side trips or anything like that. Ideally I'd add them into the end of the trip where I'm only going 3 days between my resupply and out, so that would be the stretch between the Kearsarge Pass junction and Whitney Portal.

I'm also resupplying at the Muir Trail Ranch on day 6, so that ends up with me carrying 5.5 days of food before and after that resupply with the current itinerary, so adding a day on either side of that would work as well, just more food to ship.

I'm starting in Tuolumne Meadows so anything before that is out.

Also maybe thinking of areas where it'd be good to just base camp for the day and do day hikes, like maybe around Sapphire Lake and summit Mt Spencer and Mt Solomons, I hear the Evolution basin is amazing. So, anything like that could be useful as well.

Thanks

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BeefofAges posted:

However, people have been hiking in jeans for over a century. If you like hiking in jeans, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Modern gear is really nice, but it's not a necessity.

I can't stand hiking in jeans because they just get so sticky and heavy. I prefer light shorts, or gay biker lycra.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Jeans can legitimately be deadly in inclement weather. I once did a couple hour long hike through a forest in pouring rain, where the trail was a stream in places, and by the time I got home I was so exhausted and chilled that I passed out and slept for nearly twelve hours. My jeans had acted like wicks, soaking up water kicked up by my feet, and added pounds upon pounds of weight to my legs while also chilling me dangerously. I would never do anything longer than a day hike in Denim.

I've long since discovered Prana Zion, and basically live in a pair from March to October. :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Someone I've talked to swears by Dickies poly-cotton work pants as an improvement over jeans but still reasonably priced. They have the downside of making you look like a massive dweeb, though.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Synthetic hiking pants are so accessible and so affordable, I don't know why anyone would hike in jeans if they knew better options were available.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used those Duluth fire hose jeans and I love them for hiking. I did a 8 day trip in SE Alaska with them and they were awesome. The high density canvas didnt soak up a ton of water and dried it quickly, super tough too.

Eugenics
Mar 25, 2007
Because I'm better than you

BeefofAges posted:

I agree with this sentiment. I'd also say though that the preferred garments for hiking and mountaineering in the days before synthetic were wool, not denim. Wool trousers, wool socks, wool hats, wool coats. Wool is a superior hiking fabric compared to cotton, but obviously you hike in what you have. I've certainly camped in jeans before, and honestly i prefer it because i'm warmer than synthetic. Unless i'm in the rain or snow, then gently caress jeans forever.

I've probably hiked a few miles in jeans as well. It's not the greatest experience since i sweat a lot and denim can be pretty heavy, but I'd never tell anybody to stop if they're fine with it.

Eugenics fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 24, 2014

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Picture time! I wanted to find new places with different landforms to explore, so I settled on Neversink Gorge (Sullivan County, New York). It's unnerving hiking down from the trailhead. And trail designers here in the eastern US seem to follow the philosophy "Put the trail a couple hundred feet above the river, well above what anyone comes here to see." So lots of tick-infested laurel thickets, not much river action. It was a good hike though, 9 miles plus a lot of up and down.

What flowers are these?

Me being a sweaty goon in front of Mullet Falls.

This was a lot greener and fernier in person. Also, "fernier" is a word according to Firefox.

High Falls on the Neversink.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

We didn't finish, but we got pretty far! We'll be back to Mt. St. Helens in a month!

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Anyone got protips for first time backpacker doing the Black Balsam Knob > Cold Mountain trail in NC?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I promised you all pics of my time down in Moab. I'm still sorting out but I got a few good ones on my lazy first few days there. I'll have more from Canyonlands in a bit.

Bar M by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Bar M and the Colorado River by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Balanced Rock by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Under the arch by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Double Arch by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Expedition crew by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

270° by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Dead Horse Point by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Stunning, many thanks for sharing!